Options

Ahhhhhhhhhh nooooooooooo

FinsburyParkCarrotsFinsburyParkCarrots Seattle, WA Posts: 12,223
edited May 2010 in A Moving Train
cameron-thatcher_1396081c.jpg

davros_dalek_resurrection_terry_malloy_400_400x300.jpg

harold_and_maude.jpg

Wake me up when the next election comes around.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    polaris_xpolaris_x Posts: 13,559
    sooo ... what's the word over there? ... a hung parliament!??? ... really, if blair was sucking US cock and gordon brown wasn't such a loser ... labour would win by a landslide i think ...
  • Options
    Fuck knows, right now. There were voting irregularities, mainly down to incompetence on the part of returning officers who didn't know what to do in the event of high voter turnout. Some polling stations ran out of ballot paper. Others turned away crowds of people at ten pm (poll closing time). Others still kept their doors open illegally an extra half an hour to let people mark their X. It's all been a balls-up.

Brown and Cameron are now courting Clegg behind the scenes. You'd think Clegg a social liberal, but he's more of a market liberal, as is his number two Vince Cable. Everything is up in the air.

I think the BBC is still broadcasting its election coverage in the US and Canada. Try this link and see:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/shared/election2010/liveevent/
  • Options
    thanks for the info ... sounds like a cluster fuck ... and usually - the con artists win in those situations ...
  • Options
    dunkmandunkman Posts: 19,646
    Fuck knows, right now. There were voting irregularities, mainly down to incompetence on the part of returning officers who didn't know what to do in the event of high voter turnout. Some polling stations ran out of ballot paper. Others turned away crowds of people at ten pm (poll closing time). Others still kept their doors open illegally an extra half an hour to let people mark their X. It's all been a balls-up.

This accounts for less than 1% of the total votes cast though. 30million votes cast overall... estimates of between 500 and 1500 people not having been able to vote due to your above reasons.
    oh scary... 40000 morbidly obese christians wearing fanny packs invading europe is probably the least scariest thing since I watched an edited version of The Care Bears movie in an extremely brightly lit cinema.
  • Options
    dunkman wrote:

This accounts for less than 1% of the total votes cast though. 30million votes cast overall... estimates of between 500 and 1500 people not having been able to vote due to your above reasons.

Stat-tastic! What was Fiona Bruce banging on about, every five minutes, then? Mind you, she did make the Freudian slip of the century and said "Labia majora" instead of Labour majority, last night.

Hang on, here we go. Cameron's spouting bollocks on the telly now ...
  • Options
    ClaireackClaireack Posts: 13,561
    Can't even bear to watch anymore, looks like a done deal :cry:
  • Options
    dunkman wrote:

Stat-tastic! What was Fiona Bruce banging on about, every five minutes, then? Mind you, she did make the Freudian slip of the century and said "Labia majora" instead of Labour majority, last night.

Hang on, here we go. Cameron's spouting bollocks on the telly now ...

Did she really??? :lol::lol::lol: I'm guessing thats a joke but if its true then thats fantastic.

what's auld condom head saying now?
    oh scary... 40000 morbidly obese christians wearing fanny packs invading europe is probably the least scariest thing since I watched an edited version of The Care Bears movie in an extremely brightly lit cinema.
  • Options
    Digital TwilightDigital Twilight Posts: 5,642
    Strong speech from Cameron but i think its clear he's not going to offer the Lib Dems the reform they want/need. I think Clegg would be better off with Brown to get that reform the country needs.
  • Options
    Heineken HelenHeineken Helen Posts: 18,095
    I would give my opinion but I reckon now's an excellent time to start censoring my internet activity :oops:
    The Astoria??? Orgazmic!
    Verona??? it's all surmountable
    Dublin 23.08.06 "The beauty of Ireland, right there!"
    Wembley? We all believe!
    Copenhagen?? your light made us stars
    Chicago 07? And love
    What a different life
    Had I not found this love with you
  • Options
    ByrnzieByrnzie Posts: 21,037
    Welcome back to the board Fin's!
  • Options
    Byrnzie wrote:
    Welcome back to the board Fin's!

Ah, I'm not stopping. I just needed to purge about this fakkin' Tory shoiiiite. The horror. The horror ...
  • Options
    kenny olavkenny olav Posts: 3,323
    Poor leadership on Labour's part is the main reason, no? This will hopefully clear out Brown and his ilk and bring in fresh, honest leadership.

Is any party safe from becoming too entrusted with power?
  • Options
    kenny olavkenny olav Posts: 3,323
    Don't get me wrong, Fins. I feel your pain. Fucking David Cameron!
  • Options
    will gordon brown step down?
  • Options
    Digital TwilightDigital Twilight Posts: 5,642
    polaris_x wrote:

Yup, he has...
  • Options
    Blimey, it's been a good day in politics. 2010, watch the Murdoch press go to fire, hehe ....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RZm5cm0ZtL4

Bad day at the office for the right wing media. I know Campbell's a smarmy, machiavellian git, but still: Boulton looked as if he'd just found out his beer drip had malfunctioned! :lol:
  • Options
    LBCLBC Posts: 74
    This is now very messy.

Sort it out quick for gods sake. The maths tell us it has to be Cameron in Downing Street with Lib Dem support. The important thing now is stablity. A coalition between Labour and Lib Dem can't be an option. The defeated joining together in a pathetic bid for power.

No, no,no! :twisted:
    A truant finds home
  • Options
    I don't want a Tory govt as much as the next working class bloke... but at the end of the day we shouldn't have a govt that is made up of a coalition of the two LOSING parties... Labour lost big style and the Libs lost 10% of their seats... thats a pretty big drop.
  • Options
    ByrnzieByrnzie Posts: 21,037
    I get depressed just looking at British politicians. They all look so grey and self-important.

If it was up to me I'd spike these pasty-faced dullards' cups of tea with L.S.D and then have them tarred and feathered.
  • Options
    polaris_x wrote:

Yup, he has...

seemed like an obvious move ... pretty fascinating what is going on ... anyone have ideas about who would replace brown if they still manage to hold onto power?
  • Options
    polaris_x wrote:
    polaris_x wrote:

Yup, he has...

seemed like an obvious move ... pretty fascinating what is going on ... anyone have ideas about who would replace brown if they still manage to hold onto power?

copied and pasted from Guardian website

David Miliband is the clear favourite. Ed Balls will certainly be a candidate, and Ed Miliband has not denied reports that he may stand against his brother. Andy Burnham is also seen as someone with an outside chance of winning. There has been speculation about Alistair Darling, Alan Johnson and Harriet Harman replacing Brown, but all three have in the past signalled that they don't want the job.
  • Options
    polaris_x wrote:
    polaris_x wrote:

Yup, he has...

David Miliband has the cosmetic facade of the post-Blairite paper-cup-salesman-who-looks-about-twelve party leader, which appeals to the shallowness of the media and the blue rinse contingent of the electorate. He's also pretty chummy with Hillary Clinton which boosts his claim to experience in international affairs; he constitutes relatively new blood in the party as opposed to veteran politicians such as Harriet Harman, and he seems centrist enough to achieve a semblance of party unity. However, he's also a bit of a political intellectual, as is his brother Ed: they're the both the sons of the eminent Marxist intellectual Ralph:

http://www.lipman-miliband.org.uk/Ralph ... llbiog.pdf

Murdoch would spontaneously combust at the thought of Ralph Miliband's son as unelected PM, but I think that anything that potentially thwarts a 79 year-old Australian billionaire in the act of tampering with matters of state is worthwhile.

Ed Balls is reckoned to be another potential candidate, as may well be Ed Miliband and Harriet Harman, but this is just speculation and nothing's being intimated as of yet.
  • Options
    Pepe SilviaPepe Silvia Posts: 3,758
    the daily show had a funny segment about this last night, i will try to find the video later
    don't compete; coexist

what are you but my reflection? who am i to judge or strike you down?

"I will promise you this, that if we have not gotten our troops out by the time I am president, it is the first thing I will do. I will get our troops home. We will bring an end to this war. You can take that to the bank." - Barack Obama

when you told me 'if you can't beat 'em, join 'em'
    i was thinkin 'death before dishonor'
  • Options
    thanks ... keep us posted!
  • Options
    OutOfBreathOutOfBreath Posts: 1,804
    dunkman wrote:
    I don't want a Tory govt as much as the next working class bloke... but at the end of the day we shouldn't have a govt that is made up of a coalition of the two LOSING parties... Labour lost big style and the Libs lost 10% of their seats... thats a pretty big drop.

Well, if the two "losing parties" who gathered 29% and 23% of the popular votes can agree to a platform, then they represent more of the people (52%) than the "winners" with 36%. That the lib-dems lost so many seats is mostly a quirk of the electoral system as their popular vote hardly dropped at all. The conservatives getting as many as the do is also a quirk. 36% of the votes, but, what, 46% of the seats?

I'm waiting to see if some real reform is introduced into the british election model. By rights, the Lib Dems should be almost as large as Labour, and the conservatives slightly larger than Labour. First past the post only really works when there is only two parties. The british seems to favour 3 parties massively. So welcome to coalition politics like the rest of Europe. :)

Peace
    Dan
    "YOU [humans] NEED TO BELIEVE IN THINGS THAT AREN'T TRUE. HOW ELSE CAN THEY BECOME?" - Death

"Every judgment teeters on the brink of error. To claim absolute knowledge is to become monstrous. Knowledge is an unending adventure at the edge of uncertainty." - Frank Herbert, Dune, 1965
  • Options
    nuffingmannuffingman Posts: 3,014
    dunkman wrote:
    True but how often do the Labour party do anything for the working bloke? I'm a working bloke and they've done fuck all for me. Nowadays they are just watered down tories pandering to the wishes of the financial sector and being run by unelected guys. Screw all politicians. The day they become true public servants is the day I show some interest again.
  • Options
    Well, if the two "losing parties" who gathered 29% and 23% of the popular votes can agree to a platform, then they represent more of the people (52%) than the "winners" with 36%. That the lib-dems lost so many seats is mostly a quirk of the electoral system as their popular vote hardly dropped at all. The conservatives getting as many as the do is also a quirk. 36% of the votes, but, what, 46% of the seats?

I'm waiting to see if some real reform is introduced into the british election model. By rights, the Lib Dems should be almost as large as Labour, and the conservatives slightly larger than Labour. First past the post only really works when there is only two parties. The british seems to favour 3 parties massively. So welcome to coalition politics like the rest of Europe. :)

Peace
    Dan

this is true of canada as well ... where we have one right wing party leading with 32% of the vote simply because all the other parties split the remainder ... we need to change our electoral system as well ...
  • Options
    dunkman wrote:

Peace
    Dan

i understand the 52% versus 36%... but the two parties are quite separate entities. You can add up those 2 parties votes and claim they are a majority but then they aren't really... mathematically they are, but not morally... both parties lost seats... Labour lost a huge amount... they should eat humble pie, let the Conservatives lead and then sit back, regroup and focus their efforts on a probably very early election next year... but to do deals and other such nonsense, i think, shows a certain shallowness and contempt for the populace... they clearly said "we don't want you anymore"... and yet they are trying to hang on by any means necessary.

Essentially the Conservatives won more seats, more votes and a higher percentage of the vote... they won... simple as that. It's like giving a gold medal at the Olympics to the 2nd and 3rd place runners so they can share it and then leaving the actual true winner with nothing.
  • Options
    Pepe SilviaPepe Silvia Posts: 3,758
    don't compete; coexist

what are you but my reflection? who am i to judge or strike you down?

"I will promise you this, that if we have not gotten our troops out by the time I am president, it is the first thing I will do. I will get our troops home. We will bring an end to this war. You can take that to the bank." - Barack Obama

when you told me 'if you can't beat 'em, join 'em'
    i was thinkin 'death before dishonor'
  • Options
    nuffingman wrote:
    dunkman wrote:
    True but how often do the Labour party do anything for the working bloke? I'm a working bloke and they've done fuck all for me. Nowadays they are just watered down tories pandering to the wishes of the financial sector and being run by unelected guys. Screw all politicians. The day they become true public servants is the day I show some interest again.

They did do some big things though

A rising National Minimum Wage

All prescriptions are now free for people being treated for cancer or the effects of cancer, and teenage girls are offered a vaccination against cervical cancer.

12 million pensioners benefiting from increased Winter Fuel Payments.

Free TV licences for over-75s.

A free nursery place for every 3 and 4 year old - extended to 15 hours per week this year and we are beginning to provide 10 hours a week to the most deprived 2 year olds.

The car scrappage scheme, where owners scrapping an old car receive £2,000 off the price of a new car, has assisted with over 380,000 orders being placed, keeping the automotive industry and its supply chain on its feet

The UK is now smokefree, with no smoking in most enclosed public places.

Free off-peak travel on buses anywhere in England for over-60s and disabled people.

Equalised the age of consent and repealed Section 28.

Through the introduction of civil partnerships, Labour has for the first time given legal recognition to same-sex partners. Gay couples now have the same inheritance, pension and next-of-kin rights as married couples.

Banned fox hunting.

Free admission to our national museums and galleries.

Devolution in Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland, an elected Mayor and Assembly for London and directly-elected mayors for those cities that want them.

In Europe we signed the Social Chapter and introduced measures including: four weeks’ paid holiday; a right to parental leave; extended maternity leave; a new right to request flexible working; and the same protection for part-time workers as full-time workers.