Options

The Death Penalty

Comments

• Options
    mikepegg44mikepegg44 Posts: 3,353
    Unfortunately, in states where the death penalty is used they haven't found a way to ensure that only guilty people are sentenced to death. Because of that it should not be used, not because it is barbaric or only for revenge.

If you don't like the death penalty move to a state where they don't use it. If that isn't an option fight it in the right way. Politically make a smart case, I can tell you that saying it is barbaric or comparing us to Iran and China is not the way to go about it. Talking about the finite nature of it and that one innocent person is one too many is a much better way to make your case without the opposing view points shutting down.

One inncocent man's life is worth an infinite amount more than all those scumbags who murdered someone else and because of that all those scumbags should be forced to live in prison, not nice prison, but like midnight express prison. But that is just me, as I have grown older I have less and less tolerance for people who can't live by the god damn rules.
    that’s right! Can’t we all just get together and focus on our real enemies: monogamous gays and stem cells… - Ned Flanders
    It is terrifying when you are too stupid to know who is dumb
    - Joe Rogan
  • Options
    know1know1 Posts: 6,762
    Is one person's life really worth more than someone else's?

I personally do not think that it is.
    The only people we should try to get even with...
    ...are those who've helped us.

Right 'round the corner could be bigger than ourselves.
  • Options
    dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam NINUNINOPRO Posts: 139,149
    25th of August 1972.was the last one in Greece..im happy i was born 7 days later and we done with this shit in my country before i was born
    Feb 3rd, 1967 was the last judical killing in the motherland.

and they've made sure it can never be reintroduced. ever. a month or so ago they passed the Crimes Legislation Amendment (Torture Prohibition and Death Penalty Abolition) Bill 2009. in simple terms, it means that no state in Australia can ever reinstate the death penalty for any crime.
    and the crazy here that the goverment stop the death penalty in Greece was a dictatorship goverment
    that make it more strong i guess
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • Options
    catefrancescatefrances Posts: 29,003
    edited March 2010
    Byrnzie wrote:
    howso?>? who exactly is advocating murder here and against whom??

You apparently. Seems you're the only one who doesn't think so. Must just be down to everyone else on this message board being narrow minded and presumptuous, right?

come on steve now youre just pissed at me. dont presume to know what im thinking. and yes when you zone in on one incorrect assumption you are indeed narrow minded and presumptuous.
    i asked the question not only to play devils advocate but because there are times when the death of a murderer seems like a fair trade. the fury i would feel if one of my children or my granddaughter was taken from me would be immense. and yes in the heat of the event i would want the murderer dead, i would want to exact the same amount of pain on him/her that was visited upon my family. but in their death they wouldnt feel that pain. and in the end i know vengeance isnt the answer.
    Post edited by catefrances on
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • Options
    rebornFixerrebornFixer Posts: 4,917
    i asked the question not only to play devils advocate but because there are times when the death of a murderer seems like a fair trade. the fury i would feel if one of my children or my granddaughter was taken from me would be immense. and yes in the heat of the event i would want the murderer dead, i would want to exact the same amount of pain on him/her that was visited upon my family. but in the end i know vengeance isnt the answer.

This pretty much sums up how I feel. I can only guess at what I'd want to see happen to someone who killed a loved one, even though its easy for me to sit here now and say that killing is 100% wrong. If you ask me on the average day, I am anti-capital punishment, for moral and pragmatic reasons (e.g., deterrance does not work in this case). People I personally know and love have lost loved ones of their own to violence, and that makes me angry enough, nevermind how I'd feel if violent crime struck even closer to home.
  • Options
    OnTheEdgeOnTheEdge Posts: 1,300
    I think it's pretty easy to sit here and say you're all against it. I wonder how many would feel differently if say maybe, your young daughter was raped and murdered by some psycho. I think if someone can be accused through DNA evidence so the courts know that they have the right guy for a crime like this, fuckem.......put the fucker to sleep....for good. I don't need my tax dollars supporting this fucker.

Also, I find it strange how many liberals are against capital punishment but yet still support abortion. Some of you people really make no sense.
  • Options
    ByrnzieByrnzie Posts: 21,037
    Byrnzie wrote:
    You apparently. Seems you're the only one who doesn't think so. Must just be down to everyone else on this message board being narrow minded and presumptuous, right?

In all honesty, I did not take her comment as pro-death penalty at all. It could be taken that way, or it could be taken as an attempt to explore the complexities of the topic. For instance, I have noticed that you seem quite anti-death penalty but that you also think that violence by Palestinians against Israelis might be justified in some cases (or, at least, that such violence is excusable). I could be really reactive and call you a hypocrite, or I could ask you to clarify. :)

O.k, so everyone except you.

As for violent resistance against occupation and the death penalty, maybe you can explain to me how they are the same thing?
  • Options
    mb262200 wrote:
    I think it's pretty easy to sit here and say you're all against it. I wonder how many would feel differently if say maybe, your young daughter was raped and murdered by some psycho. I think if someone can be accused through DNA evidence so the courts know that they have the right guy for a crime like this, fuckem.......put the fucker to sleep....for good. I don't need my tax dollars supporting this fucker.

Also, I find it strange how many liberals are against capital punishment but yet still support abortion. Some of you people really make no sense.
    if i say i'm completely against the death penalty under any circumstances, then i'm against against it. no ifs, buts or maybes.
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    dont presume to know what im thinking. and yes when you zone in on one incorrect assumption you are indeed narrow minded and presumptuous.

Considering your post I made a perfectly reasonable assumption. The fact that you then chose to do an about face and claim you were playing devils advocate doesn't then render me narrow minded and presumptuous.
    If you have a problem with people presuming to know what you're thinking then maybe you should be a bit clearer from the start instead of playing games and then getting pissy when you don't like the response.
    Post edited by Byrnzie on
  • Options
    OnTheEdgeOnTheEdge Posts: 1,300
    mb262200 wrote:

if i say i'm completely against the death penalty under any circumstances, then i'm against against it. no ifs, buts or maybes.

And that's fine. If that is what you feel then that is what you feel. But if you had a daughter that was murdered violently and he was given the death sentence, would you fight to keep him alive? Just wondering.
  • Options
    mb262200 wrote:
    mb262200 wrote:

And that's fine. If that is what you feel then that is what you feel. But if you had a daughter that was murdered violently and he was given the death sentence, would you fight to keep him alive? Just wondering.
    i don't have a daughter. if i did and she was murdered, there is nothing that anyone could do to the people responsible to stop my pain. revenge is not the answer.
  • Options
    mb262200 wrote:
    if you had a daughter that was murdered violently and he was given the death sentence, would you fight to keep him alive? Just wondering.

I would. I stand by my principles. And I'd rather the murderer be made to live with the crime.

The murderer was once a child too.
  • Options
    Starfall wrote:
    Yeah well, I'm completely against the death penalty for all sorts of reasons.

1. It doesn't work to deter crime.
    2. It's applied unequally - especially along racial and economic lines.
    3. It's more expensive than a life in prison trial, even before the appeals kick in.
    4. It's irreversible once carried out.
    5. It's barbaric and unworthy of a civilized society.
    6. The odds of executing an innocent person are too great, given our imperfect justice system.

Totally!

Let's not forget the WM3 either :shock:
    Stand for something or you'll fall for anything (Skindred-Stand For Something)
  • Options
    __ Posts: 6,651
    mb262200 wrote:

There are plenty of people who have had loved ones murdered and are still against the death penalty.

Many people don't believe another person should be put to death against his/her will. A fetus is not a person, nor does it have any will. Easy enough to understand.

I think it's pretty easy to sit here and say you're all against abortion. I wonder how many would feel differently if say maybe, your young daughter was raped and impregnated by some psycho.
  • Options
    Byrnzie wrote:
    dont presume to know what im thinking. and yes when you zone in on one incorrect assumption you are indeed narrow minded and presumptuous.

Considering your post I made a perfectly reasonable assumption. The fact that you then chose to do an about face and claim you were playing devils advocate doesn't then render me narrow minded and presumptuous.
    If you have a problem with people presuming to know what you're thinking then maybe you should be a bit clearer from the start instead of playing games and then getting pissy when you don't like the response.

i wonder if any assumption is perfectly reasonable when a simple question asked would remove all doubt. i didnt do an about face and i didnt claim anything. should i have put a disclaimer on my original post??? seems maybe for you i shouldve. how could i have been any clearer??? i asked a question. thats all. there is no game playing from me except when it turns out you get sat on your arse, then you cry to your mama. :P
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • Options
    StarfallStarfall Posts: 548
    mb262200 wrote:

Speaking from experience -

My sister had her skull bashed in by her husband with a baseball bat. I wanted him caught and punished, but I did not want him to die. I would have fought any attempts to impose the death penalty.

However, before he was arrested, he took his own life.
    "It's not hard to own something. Or everything. You just have to know that it's yours, and then be willing to let it go." - Neil Gaiman, "Stardust"
  • Options
    Starfall wrote:
    mb262200 wrote:

My sister had her skull bashed in by her husband with a baseball bat. I wanted him caught and punished, but I did not want him to die. I would have fought any attempts to impose the death penalty.

OH MY GOD. So sorry. :shock:
    Gimli 1993
    Fargo 2003
    Winnipeg 2005
    Winnipeg 2011
    St. Paul 2014
  • Options
    :roll:

im against the death penalty. happy?

do you play poker steve?? 8-)

sorry, CF, but I'd have to say it was a pretty fair assumption based on your post. Good to know we were incorrect!

no it wasnt a fair assumption. and sincerely i dont care that you were all shown to be as narrow minded as you were. all i did was ask a question, the assumption was steves and apparently yours as it turns out. it never occurred to you that i was playing devils advocate. and it because of that that you will continue to underestimate any debater that doesnt somehow fit your preconcieved paradigm. steve was reactive and that was his mistake.

the way it was worded, along with the punctuation you used, lead the reader to believe you were for the death penalty in the example you gave. seems to me you were leading us into the little trap of yours to start a shit slinging contest, no?

people reading a statement one way and you meaning another in the printed form is a very common flaw of the written word. don't get all high and mighty because we misunderstood you. it doesn't mean we are narrow minded. maybe it means you weren't clear.
    Gimli 1993
    Fargo 2003
    Winnipeg 2005
    Winnipeg 2011
    St. Paul 2014
  • Options
    Starfall wrote:
    mb262200 wrote:

Ouch. That's some pretty severe shit.

How's your sister now? Did she survive it?
  • Options
    sorry, CF, but I'd have to say it was a pretty fair assumption based on your post. Good to know we were incorrect!

no it wasnt a fair assumption. and sincerely i dont care that you were all shown to be as narrow minded as you were. all i did was ask a question, the assumption was steves and apparently yours as it turns out. it never occurred to you that i was playing devils advocate. and it because of that that you will continue to underestimate any debater that doesnt somehow fit your preconcieved paradigm. steve was reactive and that was his mistake.

the way it was worded, along with the punctuation you used, lead the reader to believe you were for the death penalty in the example you gave. seems to me you were leading us into the little trap of yours to start a shit slinging contest, no?

people reading a statement one way and you meaning another in the printed form is a very common flaw of the written word. don't get all high and mighty because we misunderstood you. it doesn't mean we are narrow minded. maybe it means you weren't clear.

my punctuation??? please explain that one. the first five words of my question were.. where do we stand on... and my last four words were.. do they deserve life???? not dont they deserve life??? if your comprehension skills are lacking thats not my problem. all steve had to do is ask me but instead he asked an accusatory question and questioned my logic.
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • Options
    StarfallStarfall Posts: 548
    Thank you.
    Byrnzie wrote:

No. She died a slow, horrible, painful death.

Thank you both for your kind words.. but I'm afraid I have made a mistake posting about her.
    "It's not hard to own something. Or everything. You just have to know that it's yours, and then be willing to let it go." - Neil Gaiman, "Stardust"
  • Options
    Starfall wrote:
    Thank you.
    Byrnzie wrote:

Thank you both for your kind words.. but I'm afraid I have made a mistake posting about her.

Sorry man. That can't be an easy thing to carry.
  • Options
    redrockredrock Posts: 18,341
    edited April 2010
    Starfall wrote:
    Thank you.
    Byrnzie wrote:

I really sorry to hear about your sister but I do not think you made a mistake posting about her. A classic argument is 'if one of your loved ones got murdered/etc you would change your mind about the death penalty and want to see the bastard hanged'. You sharing this with us demonstrates that this is not true.

If something like this happened to one of my loved ones, of course I would want to skin him alive but with my own hands! Once this thought has passed, I would rather he spends his life without freedom and regretting his actions. If this person wishes to take his own life, I certainly wouldn't be shedding a tear.
    Post edited by redrock on
  • Options
    dpmaydpmay Posts: 643
    mb262200 wrote:
    I think if someone can be accused through DNA evidence so the courts know that they have the right guy for a crime like this, fuckem.......put the fucker to sleep....for good. I don't need my tax dollars supporting this fucker.

you spend more tax dollars on all the appeals for the fucker that go with a capital case than you would on sending the fucker to jail for life.
  • Options
    CommyCommy Posts: 4,984
    Giving the State the power to legally murder citizens is just plain stupid.

http://www.freemumia.org/
  • Options
    dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam NINUNINOPRO Posts: 139,149
    mb262200 wrote:

eye for an eye is against democracy,justice,and common sense,killing the psucho,dont give him the right penalty..put him in jail for all his life is more difficult...u take him the number 1 priority,,FREEDOM..
    if he dies ,1st u do a crime to.and 2nd,,he will not sufferas much being in prison and thinks all day why is in jail
    and in the end for me ..we are at 2010.revenge is not the solution in this world....we saw that and its results all those thousands of years
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • Options
    Kel VarnsenKel Varnsen Posts: 1,951
    mb262200 wrote:

I would want that person living in a very small cell with little or no human contact and very bland food for the rest of their life (maybe with a window). So much worse a punishment so much so if I was forced to have that it would be hard not to want to kill myself.
  • Options
    inmytreeinmytree Posts: 4,741
    mb262200 wrote:

I have to say, I'm with MB on this one...(minus the liberal jab)

I guess I'm a heartless bastard as I think there are some who crimes warrant the death penalty...
  • Options
    my punctuation??? please explain that one. the first five words of my question were.. where do we stand on... and my last four words were.. do they deserve life???? not dont they deserve life??? if your comprehension skills are lacking thats not my problem. all steve had to do is ask me but instead he asked an accusatory question and questioned my logic.

easy, Cate, easy. But asking "do they deserve life?????" with that many question marks tells me that you are insinuating they DON'T deserve life. Again, I said I was glad we misread you. My comprehension skills are just fine, thanks.

No need to get nasty about it. Jeez.
    Gimli 1993
    Fargo 2003
    Winnipeg 2005
    Winnipeg 2011
    St. Paul 2014
  • Options

easy, Cate, easy. But asking "do they deserve life?????" with that many question marks tells me that you are insinuating they DON'T deserve life. Again, I said I was glad we misread you. My comprehension skills are just fine, thanks.

No need to get nasty about it. Jeez.

this is not me nasty. trust me on that. and i use multiple question marks cause one gets lonely. its a quirk thats all.
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
This discussion has been closed.