What to do with my vinyl once i get it

Hubmann2513Hubmann2513 Posts: 237
edited January 2008 in The Porch
I'm kinda in a dilema here. My parents and friends aren't as big as pj fans as i am. not even close actually. and they see how much the vinyl is going for on ebay and stuff right now, and they want me to basically sit on the vinyl to make money. That really isn't what i wanted to do with it originally. I guess what im wanting is your opinions, or what you all are going to do with your vinyl.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• oh and btw, i am leaning towards spinning it once it gets in right now.
  • I'm kinda in a dilema here. My parents and friends aren't as big as pj fans as i am. not even close actually. and they see how much the vinyl is going for on ebay and stuff right now, and they want me to basically sit on the vinyl to make money. That really isn't what i wanted to do with it originally. I guess what im wanting is your opinions, or what you all are going to do with your vinyl.
    listen to your parents..........
    Take me piece by piece.....
    Till there aint nothing left worth taking away from me.....
  • JulienJulien Posts: 2,457
    keep it, play it.
    Vinyls are made to be palyed, not to stay sealed or sold on ebay.
    If you didn't need it, you shouldn't have bought it.
    If you have it and don't need it anymore, sell it for face value to someone who wasn't lucky enough to have one. my 2 cents.
    2006: Antwerp, Paris
    2007: Copenhagen, Werchter
    2009: Rotterdam, London
    2010: MSG, Arras, Werchter
    2012: Amsterdam, Prague, Berlin
    2014: Amsterdam, Stockholm
  • CollinCollin Posts: 4,932
    Your parents sound greedy. Did they pay for your membership?
    THANK YOU, LOSTDAWG!

naděje umírá poslední
  • I'm kinda in a dilema here. My parents and friends aren't as big as pj fans as i am. not even close actually. and they see how much the vinyl is going for on ebay and stuff right now, and they want me to basically sit on the vinyl to make money. That really isn't what i wanted to do with it originally. I guess what im wanting is your opinions, or what you all are going to do with your vinyl.

Don't just sit on the albums, play them! Keep them for yourself. I have most of their records, I play them. They never stay sealed. I guess one day whichever of my kids wants them will have them for themselves. I have a feeling whoever wants them will keep them also....along with all of the other albums we have.

If you went into it with an investing type of idea, then you've already answered your own question and will some day part with them. I couldn't part with any of my albums, doesn't matter what band or artist it is..

what do you want to do deep down inside?

;)

My mom just brought down some more of her black gold on her last visit during the holidays, 2 of the albums were old Dave Brubeck....so kick ass and believe me, they hit the turntable.
  • electronblueelectronblue WPB Florida Posts: 3,457
    Collin wrote:
    Your parents sound greedy. Did they pay for your membership?

LOL...~
    "Forgive every being,
    the bad feelings 
    it's just me"

• I suggest you put the needle to it, and crank dat, soulja boy!
    "It's all happening"
  • hidinghiding Posts: 290
    you should be shrink wrapped!
    one love

respect
  • First post here in this forum :)

Well, nobody needs a vinyl nowadays, so I guess this release was intended to be something cool-to-have-hard-to-find thing, and as you are one of the few lucky who own this record and realy likes PJ then you should keep it of course!

Play it! It must fell very nice to hear PJ with that little dirt noise from the needle.

Pardon my english!
  • DanimalDanimal Posts: 2,000
    Use it as a coaster.
    "I don't believe in PJ fans but I believe there is something, not too sure what." - Thoughts_Arrive

• My3rdEyeMy3rdEye Posts: 926
    It's worth $20 plus s&h that you paid for it. The real value is in the music. Vinyl ain't worth a shit unless you spin it.
  • First post here in this forum :)

Well, nobody needs a vinyl nowadays, so I guess this release was intended to be something cool-to-have-hard-to-find thing, and as you are one of the few lucky who own this record and realy likes PJ then you should keep it of course!

Play it! It must fell very nice to hear PJ with that little dirt noise from the needle.

Pardon my english!

have you ever listened to a record?
  • NY PJ1NY PJ1 Posts: 9,533
    let it sit and collect dust
  • Mrs.Vedder78Mrs.Vedder78 Posts: 4,585
    hiding wrote:
    you should be shrink wrapped!

LOL!

I say SPIN IT! ;)
    "Without the album covers, where do you clean your pot?" - EV
  • Get_RightGet_Right Posts: 12,439
    two choices

PLAY IT

or give it to someone who will

vinyl is meant to be played

the record will actually disintegrate over time, so youd better start playing it as soon as you receive it!
    ;)
  • aNiMaLaNiMaL Posts: 7,118
    Keep it and Play it!!!
  • markymark550markymark550 Columbia, SC Posts: 5,103
    as Ed would say:
    spin, spin.....spin the black cirlce!
  • mini_tbmini_tb Posts: 420
    Spin the black circle indeed!!! Just handle it with care (oh so gently) as you should with any vinyl.
    Glorified version of a pelican
  • as Ed would say:
    spin, spin.....spin the black cirlce!

Darn it...you took the words right outta my mouth! :)
    rocknrollgurl = *bee girl* @ www.myspace.com/pearljamgrrl

Everything you've imagined...needn't be stuck in your mind.
  • mini_tbmini_tb Posts: 420
    Darn it...you took the words right outta my mouth! :)

Me, too. I was surprised it took that long for someone to say it!
    Glorified version of a pelican
  • ManimalManimal Posts: 152
    I'm kinda in a dilema here. My parents and friends aren't as big as pj fans as i am. not even close actually. and they see how much the vinyl is going for on ebay and stuff right now, and they want me to basically sit on the vinyl to make money. That really isn't what i wanted to do with it originally. I guess what im wanting is your opinions, or what you all are going to do with your vinyl.

Maybe you should make record bowls out of them
    http://victoria.craigslist.ca/hsh/535800489.html
    DVD: http://db.etree.org/Manimal
    Posters: www.expressobeans.com/trader.php?id=Manimal&view=4
  • hidinghiding Posts: 290
    Manimal wrote:
    Maybe you should make record bowls out of them
    http://victoria.craigslist.ca/hsh/535800489.html
    idiot.

why are they idiots?
    those could be crappy albums and at least they will be used for something.
    not like there beny hall albums...
    one love

respect
    hiding wrote:
    why are they idiots?
    those could be crappy albums and at least they will be used for something.
    not like there beny hall albums...

I meant the person who started this thread was an idoit. Should have been clearer on that. Is it that tough a decision either keep a record you really like or go against what your favourite band stands for and sell it on ebay.

I think record bowls are cool..
  • Heat it, Roll it, and Smoke it!
  • Ms. HaikuMs. Haiku Washington DC Posts: 7,245
    Frame it! Then, you put a cute little bistro table and chairs underneath it, and a couple ferns, et voila! Cuteness and color!
    There is no such thing as leftover pizza. There is now pizza and later pizza. - anonymous
    The risk I took was calculated, but man, am I bad at math - The Mincing Mockingbird
  • What to do with it? Play the damn thing! If you sell it on Ebay down the road for the sole purpose of making money for self greed than you're a fucking sellout.

I can't believe the audacity to start a thread with the idea you may sell it on Ebay someday.
    "How loud can silence get?"

http://www.myspace.com/cockeyedoptimus
  • Kel VarnsenKel Varnsen Posts: 1,951
    What to do with it? Play the damn thing! If you sell it on Ebay down the road for the sole purpose of making money for self greed than you're a fucking sellout.

I can't believe the audacity to start a thread with the idea you may sell it on Ebay someday.

Why does it bother you so much that someone is selling something they own? It is not like they broke into your house, stole your copy and then tried to sell it. I don't get why people get so upset about something that has almost zero affect on them.
  • restlesssoulrestlesssoul Posts: 6,939
    rip it open, throw it on the platter and enjoy! cant wait to do it myself.
    Van '98, Sea I+II '00, Sea '01, Sea II '02, Van '03, Gorge, Van, Cal, Edm '05, Bos I+II, Phi I+II, DC, SF II+III, Port, Gorge I+II '06, DC, NY I+II '08, Sea I+II, Van, Ridge , LA III+IV' 09, Indy '10, Cal, Van '11, Lond, Van, Sea '13, Memphis '14, RRHOF '17, Sea I+II '18
    Why does it bother you so much that someone is selling something they own? It is not like they broke into your house, stole your copy and then tried to sell it. I don't get why people get so upset about something that has almost zero affect on them.

Almost zero? Lots of people wanted this but got shut out. Plus if he bought it from the ten club, I'm pretty sure they would not look too kindly onto him flipping it. I don't know about you, but I'm a fan of Pearl Jam, I'm not just collecting their stuff to turn around and sell it on ebay. I bought the record to listen to and enjoy. IMO anyone considering to flip the record should drawn and quartered by 4 horses then their quarters should be drawn and quartered by four smaller horses and thoses quarters should be drawn and quartered by four frogs.
  • Kel VarnsenKel Varnsen Posts: 1,951
    Manimal wrote:
    Almost zero? Lots of people wanted this but got shut out. Plus if he bought it from the ten club, I'm pretty sure they would not look too kindly onto him flipping it. I don't know about you, but I'm a fan of Pearl Jam, I'm not just collecting their stuff to turn around and sell it on ebay. I bought the record to listen to and enjoy. IMO anyone considering to flip the record should drawn and quartered by 4 horses then their quarters should be drawn and quartered by four smaller horses and thoses quarters should be drawn and quartered by four frogs.

Lots of things get sold for more than they are bought for. Do all of those things bother you too? If I sell my house for more than I bought it for does that bother you? Since that might shut some people out of buying my house. Plus you say people got shut out, but those people are still shut out no matter what this guy does to his copy. If he keeps it, sells it or uses it to play catch with his dog, the people who are shut out are still don't have one. Yes some might say that people making a profit are greedy, but on the flip side of that aren't the people who want something for less than it is worth greedy as well. Yes greed is bad, but so is the entitlement some people have where they feel that since they are big fans of something people owe it to them to sell them things for less than what they are actually worth.