Anyone from Phoenix or Scottsdale?

BanjoBanjo Posts: 272
edited February 2010 in All Encompassing Trip
My wife is getting sent to Scottsdale for a few days in March for work and I was wondering if there were any places we should check out. It's the weekend before St Pat's day but I don't know if St Pats as big a deal as it is in the NYC-Philly area (where we're from). Any Irish pubs we should check out? We are going to a Suns game and to Majerle's (Thunder Dan was my favorite player when I was a kid). I'd like to do a brewery tour or go to a brewpub. Also we're skipping Valentine's day to save some cash for a real nice dinner in AZ so any suggestions there would be appreciated. We're also going to Sedona for a day or two.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• mca47mca47 Posts: 13,244
    Banjo wrote:
    My wife is getting sent to Scottsdale for a few days in March for work and I was wondering if there were any places we should check out. It's the weekend before St Pat's day but I don't know if St Pats as big a deal as it is in the NYC-Philly area (where we're from). Any Irish pubs we should check out? We are going to a Suns game and to Majerle's (Thunder Dan was my favorite player when I was a kid). I'd like to do a brewery tour or go to a brewpub. Also we're skipping Valentine's day to save some cash for a real nice dinner in AZ so any suggestions there would be appreciated. We're also going to Sedona for a day or two.

Well...no. St. Paddy's day isn't much of anything here (sadly).
    If you do want to go to an Irish bar, this is my favorite. They often have some good live music there too.
    http://www.skepticalchymist.com/

Maherle's is very much "meh". I know you're a fan, but don't tell me I didn't warn ya'! ;)
    There are a ton of good places to eat, so if you need suggestions for something specific let me know.

If you're a pizza fan, check this place out...
    http://www.pizzeriabianco.com/
    You'll have to wait a couple hours for a table (no reservations) but it's been rated best pizzeria in the US multiple times.

As far as brew-pubs in the Scottsdale area...
    http://www.fourpeaks.com/ (The one in Tempe has a better vibe, but the one in Scottsdale is nicer)

This place here is super tiny and not much to offer atmosphere wise, but they have a great beer menu!
    http://www.papagobrewing.com/

Good call on going to Sedona! Keep in mind that Sedona will be pretty chilly in March, but it should still be damn beautiful. If you like to hike, you're in heaven! -Also, let me know if you do and I can recommend some good trails.

Are you a golfer? If so, don't forget the clubs! Scottsdale has some ridiculously amazing courses!!

Anywho, I can go on and on...

If you need some specific advice, let me know.
  • BanjoBanjo Posts: 272
    Thanks for the info! All those places look good.
    Anyone else have any suggestions?
  • eat at Chino Bandido
    "It's all happening"
  • fotdfotd Posts: 514
    San Tan Brewing Company has some great beers. Four Peaks does too.
    I’ve seen Pearl Jam 25 times, Eddie Vedder 9 times, and Brad once.
    Chino Bandido looks like the coolest place of alltime.

A few people have suggested 4 Peaks to me.

I really appreciate the input guys. Thanks!
  • angiebabyazangiebabyaz Tucson, AZ Posts: 148
    Matt's Big Breakfast
    www.mattsbigbreakfast.com
    Tiny little place but worth the wait IMHO
    Phoenix 1992
    San Francisco OSL 2009
    New York City MSG 1&2 2010
    EV Santa Barbara 2011
    Alpine Valley 2011
    Philadelphia, Missoula 2012
    EV Las Vegas 1 & 2, Phoenix 2012
    Chicago, Brooklyn, Dallas, OKC, Phoenix, Seattle 2013
    Memphis, Detroit, Moline, Milwaukee, Denver, Bridge School 2014
    Porto Alegre, São Paulo, Rio de Janeiro 2015
    Jazz Fest, MSG II, RIDE Fest, Fenway, Wrigley, Ohana 2016
  • god I miss Phoenix... lived there for 2 years and moved back to PA last February.

Mill Ave in Tempe is fun if you enjoy the college bar scene. I typically went to a little irish pub in Tempe called O'Kelley's on Dobson and Guadalupe. It is just a dive bar but cheap drinks and beat people... my kinda crowd.

I was never a fan of Scottsdale... it is typically people who make $40k a year and drive a $40k car. :? All about your image.
    Everything not forbidden is compulsory and eveything not compulsory is forbidden. You are free... free to do what the government says you can do.
  • BinFrogBinFrog MA Posts: 7,292
    edited February 2010
    I was never a fan of Scottsdale... it is typically people who make $40k a year and drive a $40k car. :? All about your image.

I disagree. Scottsdale has lots of fun/interesting things to do (and yes, the golf is second to none). Yeah there is some cheesiness, but any destination town has that sort of vibe to it (Palm Beach, Woodlands, Hilton Head, etc). There's some "image" BS in Scottadale, but it's easy to look past.

To the thread starter: if you are an architecture kind of guy, check out Taliesin West and do one of the short tours.

Depending on what kind of food you are into, and your budget, there are almost limitless possibilities.
    Post edited by BinFrog on
    Bright eyed kid: "Wow Typo Man, you're the best!"
    Typo Man: "Thanks kidz, but remembir, stay in skool!"
  • Sedona is really fun.

My favorite spot on earth is the Mogollon Rim about 2 hours from Phoenix... if you're into camping. BEAUTIFUL views. March isn't the best time to go... May through September. It is in the 70s there and 110s in Phoenix.
    Everything not forbidden is compulsory and eveything not compulsory is forbidden. You are free... free to do what the government says you can do.
    god I miss Phoenix... lived there for 2 years and moved back to PA last February.

Mill Ave in Tempe is fun if you enjoy the college bar scene. I typically went to a little irish pub in Tempe called O'Kelley's on Dobson and Guadalupe. It is just a dive bar but cheap drinks and beat people... my kinda crowd.

I'm not a huge fan of Mill, but I do like Rula Bula...
    http://www.rulabula.com/

Also, while some Scottsdale people may be materialistic...they all aren't and I think it's a great town.
  • mca47 wrote:
    god I miss Phoenix... lived there for 2 years and moved back to PA last February.

Also, while some Scottsdale people may be materialistic...they all aren't and I think it's a great town.

yeah I shouldn't make generalities... I have a few friends that still live there. We used to have a great time at "The Sand Bar" in Scottsdale.

Remember the song called "I'm a big douche at a scottsdale bar"???

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oKwA8pFJvJc
  • 8181 Needing a ride to Forest Hills and a ounce of weed. Please inquire within. Thanks. Or not. Posts: 58,276
    i was there a couple of times....nothing was all that memorable. :lol:

old town was sort of neat,i did find some cool coasters.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
    mca47 wrote:

yeah I shouldn't make generalities... I have a few friends that still live there. We used to have a great time at "The Sand Bar" in Scottsdale.

Remember the song called "I'm a big douche at a scottsdale bar"???

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oKwA8pFJvJc

Yeah, while not a huge fan of the Sandbar, I do go there for one important reason...

It's a Iowa Hawkeye bar! :)
    On Saturdays it's packed full of Hawkeye fans and is a ton of fun!

And yeah...that song is pretty damn funny! Pretty accurate in many ways. :lol:
  • OffHeGoes29OffHeGoes29 Posts: 1,240
    I lived in the Dirty GLD (Glendale) for 3 years, and there are pros and cons to living out there. I miss the winter there and I also miss my secret camping spot near Flagstaff.......

If you don't mind the traffic, heat, and pollution...then more power to you.
    BRING BACK THE WHALE
    I lived in the Dirty GLD (Glendale) for 3 years, and there are pros and cons to living out there. I miss the winter there and I also miss my secret camping spot near Flagstaff.......

What's your secret camping spot?

It's not like I'm going to be running into you there... :D

I hike and camp all the time and am always looking for a new trek or camping spot.
    PM me if you don't want to give away the goods! :lol:
  • OffHeGoes29OffHeGoes29 Posts: 1,240
    mca47 wrote:

I hike and camp all the time and am always looking for a new trek or camping spot.

I will only tell you if you promise not to litter or blare loud music....
    :? :? :?
    BRING BACK THE WHALE
    mca47 wrote:

I will only tell you if you promise not to litter or blare loud music....
    :? :? :?

Ok...
    Is it pack camping or car camping?

Either way, I'm all for a good spot!