Release lyrics

dasvidanadasvidana Grand Junction CO Posts: 1,318
I'm ashamed to say that I just realized that the lyrics in Release are "I see the birds in the rain." I always thought it was "I see the burrs and the reigns." Since the song just mentioned "the rocking horse of time" I thought that burrs and reigns depicted the pains and burdens of growing older. Oh well, birds in the rain are nice too.
It's nice to be nice to the nice.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• SCMike10SCMike10 Posts: 195
    No need to feel shame; I remember reading years ago that the band disliked printing the lyrics in the cd books because they felt each person should derive their own meaning from the songs. There are several songs in the PJ catalog that I still sing the incorrect lyrics to because it makes the song more personal to me.
    Irvine Meadows - Sep 13, 1992
    Tweeter Center - Jul 02, 2003
    Tweeter Center - Jul 03, 2003
    Tweeter Center - Jul 11, 2003
    Fleet Center - Sep 28, 2004
    Dodge Music Center - Jun 27, 2008
    Tweeter Center - Jun 28, 2008
    Tweeter Center - Jun 30, 2008
    ALL FOUR 09 PHILLY SHOWS!!
  • SCMike10 wrote:
    No need to feel shame; I remember reading years ago that the band disliked printing the lyrics in the cd books because they felt each person should derive their own meaning from the songs. There are several songs in the PJ catalog that I still sing the incorrect lyrics to because it makes the song more personal to me.

I think exactly the same way..... I like that they don't put the lyrics in there and that they don't explain the lyrics... That is why Pearl Jam music is so great.... Everybody can listen to it and get something out of it based on life experiences, what is going on with them at that time, etc. Even if you know the lyrics you probbaly won't get the same thing out of it that somebody else does. I remember somebody told me once that they saw an interview with Bob Dylan (I believe) and he was stoned and some reporter asked him what a certain song meant and he just looks at him and, in a voice that says yah I'm stoned out of my mind who cares, he said "What's it mean to you man?"
    I used to do a lot of art in high school and it wasn't surreal exactly but the drawings would always have something small in them that meant somethin to me that seemed out of place and people would always ask what it meant and I would never tell anybody. That would ruin the whole thing. Any work of art-- drawing, song lyrics, etc.-- is most beautiful when it can be analyzed by a person and it fits a meaning best for them.
  • sorry to pull up an old thread, but I too have been wondering about the lyrics to Release lately. Are the lyrics on the official site correct?
    website lyrics:
    "I see the words
    On a rocking horse of time
    I see the birds in the rain"

the three lines above are the ones in question. I have gone back and listened to several live versions and like most songs, Eddie seems to mix up the words now and then. It's hard to find many versions where he for sure says "birds"

At Fenway it clearly sounds like
    "I see the world on the rocking horse of time, I see the words in the rain"

Philly April 29, 2016
    "I see the words on a rocking horse of time, I see the words in the rain"

Wrigley
    "I see world on on a rocking horse of time, I see the VERSE IN the rain" - video here was a closeup on his mouth and definitely looks like he says "verse"

Argentina 2013
    "I see the world on a rocking horse of time, I see the verse in the rain"

Holland 1992
    "I see the words on a rocking horse of time, I see the verse in the rain " - can almost make yourself thing he says birds here

St Paul 2014
    "I see the world on a rocking horse of time, I see the words in the rain"