Options

*** -- PROCESSING Your Philadelphia 76ers -- ***

Comments

• Options
    pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,195
    JK_Livin said:

Keep those blinders on and think we'd been in this same position or better without Hinkie. Like I said, nothing is guaranteed but it sure looks promising. I like what Colangelo has done so far. Nobody bats a 1.000%

Hinkie wasn't the 1st gm to tank to get his team better draft picks. he was just the 1st to do it for 5 years and tell the world how smart he was.
  • Options
    Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,601
    pjhawks said:

JK_Livin said:

Keep those blinders on and think we'd been in this same position or better without Hinkie. Like I said, nothing is guaranteed but it sure looks promising. I like what Colangelo has done so far. Nobody bats a 1.000%

Hinkie wasn't the 1st gm to tank to get his team better draft picks. he was just the 1st to do it for 5 years and tell the world how smart he was.
    This is true

Hinkie does love to tell the world how smart he is.
  • Options
    JK_LivinJK_Livin South Jersey Posts: 7,364
    pjhawks said:

JK_Livin said:

Of course he wasn't. Never said he was. Enjoy not enjoying the games.
    Alright, alright, alright!
    Tom O.
    "I never had any friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?"
    -The Writer
  • Options
    The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,261
    He was the only gm in the history of the game to risk his job security for three years in hopes of making the franchise better for the long term. Huge amount of guts to do that. And kudos to Josh Harris for taking the short term losses in ticket sales/revenue for the overall betterment of the franchise.

Any other gm who tanked for the first year and missed out on Wiggins would've taken Aaron Gordon, Dante Exum or Marcus Smart etc and put this team right back into the sludge of mediocrity they were in for most of the last 15 years. Hinkie? Nah, he just selected someone who is drawing comparisons to some of the greatest centers to ever play the game. God bless him.
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    JK_Livin said:

pjhawks said:

JK_Livin said:

what are you talking about? i already said it was fun cheering for a team that is actually trying to win and is playing inspired basketball. its been a long time coming. Not sure that would be the case if Hinkie was still here though. he'd most likely be playing Embiid even less, would not have made the Ilysova trade, and would guarantee Simmons would sit the full year.
  • Options
    edited January 2017

He was the only gm in the history of the game to risk his job security for three years in hopes of making the franchise better for the long term. Huge amount of guts to do that. And kudos to Josh Harris for taking the short term losses in ticket sales/revenue for the overall betterment of the franchise.

Any other gm who tanked for the first year and missed out on Wiggins would've taken Aaron Gordon, Dante Exum or Marcus Smart etc and put this team right back into the sludge of mediocrity they were in for most of the last 15 years. Hinkie? Nah, he just selected someone who is drawing comparisons to some of the greatest centers to ever play the game. God bless him.

As I have said multiple times, I generally agreed with the philosophy. That said, your first paragraph is kinda contradictory, no? The guy wasn't risking his job security because as you say, Josh Harris was all in on it. The guy got the organization to buy in on the value of draft picks over an extended period of time. That's it. You're not risking your job if the bosses are aligned...

Edit: In fact, I'd say he had more job security over that time frame than any GM in the league as there was basically nothing to grade him on...
    Post edited by Cliffy6745 on
  • Options
    edited January 2017

As I have said multiple times, I generally agreed with the philosophy. That said, your first paragraph is kinda contradictory, no? The guy wasn't risking his job security because as you say, Josh Harris was all in on it. The guy got the organization to buy in on the value of draft picks over an extended period of time. That's it. You're not risking your job if the bosses are aligned...

Edit: In fact, I'd say he had more job security over that time frame than any GM in the league as there was basically nothing to grade him on...
    Cliff....not fully 3 years in, he was forced out of his job. It literally cost him his job security.

Just because you get the ownership group to buy in initially, doesn't mean a year, two years, three years down the line they will still be on board, especially with Adam Silver in Harris' ear about how bad it looks to the league.

I give Harris all the credit in the world for the amount of time he gave him. I wish he wouldn't have caved last year.....but I get it. At least they didn't abandon the same philosophy though.
    Post edited by The Juggler on
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 2017
    pjhawks said:

JK_Livin said:

pjhawks said:

JK_Livin said:

what are you talking about? i already said it was fun cheering for a team that is actually trying to win and is playing inspired basketball. its been a long time coming. Not sure that would be the case if Hinkie was still here though. he'd most likely be playing Embiid even less, would not have made the Ilysova trade, and would guarantee Simmons would sit the full year.
    A year ago this guy was saying Saric would never come here and Embiid would never be healthy. The success this team is having right now, and is set up for in the coming years is directly attributed to the position Hinkie put this team in.

And the doctors administering the minutes restriction and back to back game restrictions (which you've complained about all year) are the same ones who have been monitoring his rehab since Hinkie came here.
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    Bottom line---just sit back and enjoy the results of The Process. The next decade is going to be a lot of fun.
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options

pjhawks said:

JK_Livin said:

pjhawks said:

JK_Livin said:

A year ago this guy was saying Saric would never come here and Embiid would never be healthy. The success this team is having right now, and is set up for in the coming years is directly attributed to the position Hinkie put this team in.
    alternate facts again. i never said either of those things. I said Saric was not likely to come this year because he was leaving so much money on the table. like almost everyone, including most respected NBA media, we always figured he would wait one more year. Financially not a good move for him to come this year. As for Embiid I said he was the right choice at #3 that year but that it was a huge risk because of his health. he is still a huge risk or did you forget that you are ok with him only playing 28 minutes and not a second more or playing back to backs because of you know his health?
  • Options
    edited January 2017

Cliff....not fully 3 years in, he was forced out of his job. It literally cost him his job security.

Just because you get the ownership group to buy in initially, doesn't mean a year, two years, three years down the line they will still be on board, especially with Adam Silver in Harris' ear about how bad it looks to the league.

I give Harris all the credit in the world for the amount of time he gave him. I wish he wouldn't have caved last year.....but I get it. At least they didn't abandon the same philosophy though.
    But that's no different than anyone else then. You take a risk signing a big free agent and it doesn't work out, you're on the line. You draft the wrong players and you're on the line. Every GM risks their job security with every personnel decision they make. The organization was all in on tanking for a while and then caved to pressure. As far in as the Sixers were, he was very safe for a number of years, is what I'm saying.

Hinke took it to the next level, but let's not act like this is revolutionary or he is some genius. He should get credit for the success of these players, but the main thing he should get credit for is selling the strategy to the organization long term.

Edit: This is largely semantics, but the Hinke circle gets annoying
    Post edited by Cliffy6745 on
  • Options

But that's no different than anyone else then. You take a risk signing a big free agent and it doesn't work out, you're on the line. You draft the wrong players and you're on the line. Every GM risks their job security with every personnel decision they make. The organization was all in on tanking for a while and then caved to pressure. As far in as the Sixers were, he was very safe for a number of years, is what I'm saying.

Hinke took it to the next level, but let's not act like this is revolutionary or he is some genius. He should get credit for the success of these players, but the main thing he should get credit for is selling the strategy to the organization long term.

Agree with you on it being largely semantics. I never called him revolutionary. I just admired him for sticking with this plan no matter how messy and tough it got. And now we are finally seeing results.

The Hinkie circle might be annoying to you......but they were right.
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options

Agree with you on it being largely semantics. I never called him revolutionary. I just admired him for sticking with this plan no matter how messy and tough it got. And now we are finally seeing results.

wait, first off they are 17-27 so hold the breaks on them being right just yet. Secondly we were promised the process would bring a championship caliber team. until that happens it's really unfair to say they were right.
  • Options
    pjhawks said:

wait, first off they are 17-27 so hold the breaks on them being right just yet. Secondly we were promised the process would bring a championship caliber team. until that happens it's really unfair to say they were right.
    You thought you were promised a championship caliber team? THIS year? hahaha

Just stop. Enjoy the ride. It will be fun.
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options

I never said they were wrong...
  • Options
    edited January 2017
    pjhawks said:

pjhawks said:

JK_Livin said:

pjhawks said:

JK_Livin said:

alternate facts again. i never said either of those things. I said Saric was not likely to come this year because he was leaving so much money on the table. like almost everyone, including most respected NBA media, we always figured he would wait one more year. Financially not a good move for him to come this year. As for Embiid I said he was the right choice at #3 that year but that it was a huge risk because of his health. he is still a huge risk or did you forget that you are ok with him only playing 28 minutes and not a second more or playing back to backs because of you know his health?
    http://community.pearljam.com/discussion/comment/5960394#Comment_5960394

Touche. So you were wrong about saying he would not come until next season. Those crazy blogs were more accurate than Dei Lynam. Egads!

This is also what you said:

"so you think an healthy Embiid is worth 15 or so wins? holy shit dude. it took something like 38 wins to make the playoffs in an awful Eastern Conference last year and this team isn't winning more than 20-25 this year. so really he is worth up to 13-18 wins? ab-so-fucking-lute insanity

and embiid will never be healthy.
    big man with bad feet (and bad attitude apparently) is a really bad combo. two surgeries already. forget anticipating any contribution from him and be thankful if you get anything at any point from him."

the take was hot that day
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    No one knows if Embiid can stay healthy. It's not exactly a hot take to say a big man with foot problems is going to have health issues.
  • Options

No one knows if Embiid can stay healthy. It's not exactly a hot take to say a big man with foot problems is going to have health issues.

It becomes a hot take when you categorically state he will never be healthy and to not expect any contribution from him at all. Also funny to see him say he's not worth an additional 13 wins.
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 2017

It becomes a hot take when you categorically state he will never be healthy and to not expect any contribution from him at all. Also funny to see him say he's not worth an additional 13 wins.
    IF he was healthy would there be a minutes restriction? If he was healthy would he be playing in back to backs? If he was healthy would he have played one of the last two games? I don't get you. you agree with limiting his minutes and not playing back to back to ensure his health but they argue that he is healthy - what is it, is he healthy or not? if he is healthy then there should be no restrictions. again too early to call on his health.

i've admitted before it's shocking how good Embiid has been so far which I think you agree with. No one saw him being this good this year after a 2 year layoff. it's one of the most stunning things we've seen around here.

I am just glad you've finally learned to spell his name.

and no never said they needed to be championship caliber this year. the process to have worked needs to produce that type of team eventually. right now they are what 4 years in and still at 17-27. Long way to go to call the process a success. long long way.
    Post edited by pjhawks on
  • Options
    edited January 2017
    pjhawks said:

IF he was healthy would there be a minutes restriciiton? If he was healthy would he be playing in back to backs? If he was healthy would he have played one of the last two games? again too early to call on his health.

i've admitted before it's shocking how good Embiid has been so far which I think you agree with. No one saw him being this good this year after a 2 year layoff. it's one of the most stunning things we've seen around here.

I am must glad you've finally learned to spell his name.

and no never said they needed to be championship caliber this year. the process to have worked needs to produce that type of team eventually. right now they are what 4 years in and still at 17-27. Long way to go to call the process a success. long long way.
    He was always going to have minutes restrictions in his first year back. You categorically stated he would never be healthy and to not expect any production out of him at all....while saying there was no way Saric would be here this year. Wrong on both counts.

Nobody promised a championship to you. We've only seen one pro championship in this town in over 30 years. That's a ridiculously hot takey thing to say.

All people said was this 3 year process was the best possible avenue towards getting a team that could compete at that level. You can make the argument that the Sixers are in better shape than the other teams in the city right now.

Enjoy the ride.

chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 2017

pjhawks said:

IF he was healthy would there be a minutes restriciiton? If he was healthy would he be playing in back to backs? If he was healthy would he have played one of the last two games? again too early to call on his health.

He was always going to have minutes restrictions in his first year back. You categorically stated he would never be healthy and to not expect any production out of him at all....while saying there was no way Saric would be here this year. Wrong on both counts.

Nobody promised a championship to you. We've only seen one pro championship in this town in over 30 years. That's a ridiculously hot takey thing to say.

All people said was this 3 year process was the best possible avenue towards getting a team that could compete at that level. You can make the argument that the Sixers are in better shape than the other teams in the city right now.

Enjoy the ride.

so you didn't answer the question(s). is he healthy or not? if he is healthy why agree with minutes restrictions?

absolutely was wrong on Saric but almost everyone was. And again no one expected Embiid to be this good this early. NO ONE.

I never said champsionship. i said championship caliber. they have to get to the top of the eastern conference or very close to it. so you are saying tanking for 4 years was ok even if they only get to mediocrity like they were before the Hinkie process? umm ok sure
  • Options
    edited January 2017
    pjhawks said:

pjhawks said:

Enjoy the ride.

so you didn't answer the question(s). is he healthy or not? if he is healthy why agree with minutes restrictions?

absolutely was wrong on Saric but almost everyone was. And again no one expected Embiid to be this good this early. NO ONE.

I never said champsionship. i said championship caliber. they have to get to the top of the eastern conference or very close to it. so you are saying tanking for 4 years was ok even if they only get to mediocrity like they were before the Hinkie process? umm ok sure
    He is healthy. They are being as cautious as possible with him, which is smart. You said to not expect any production at all and to be lucky if we got something for him in a trade. Ridiculous.

I know you were wrong on both counts. Agreed.

Nobody promised you a championship or a championship caliber team, Takes. They tanked for 3 years because it was the best possible avenue to put them into that position. A decade of doing things the other way got them nowhere. This is the same stuff that has been explained to you for the past few years now. Patience is a virtue. This is the first year out of the tank, and you're already seeing results. Onward and upward.

chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 2017

pjhawks said:

pjhawks said:

Enjoy the ride.

He is healthy. They are being as cautious as possible with him, which is smart. You said to not expect any production at all and to be lucky if we got something for him in a trade. Ridiculous.

Nobody promised you a championship or a championship caliber team, Takes. They tanked for 3 years because it was the best possible avenue to put them into that position. A decade of doing things the other way got them nowhere. This is the same stuff that has been explained to you for the past few years now. Patience is a virtue. This is the first year out of the tank, and you're already seeing results. Onward and upward.

never heard of a rookie being healthy and having his minutes restricted and not playing back to backs but yea ok.

hated the winningest football coach in town because he didn't win enough but ok with mediocrity even after tanking (including the 2nd worst record in NBA history). very interesting. utterly fucking stupid, but interesting.

http://www.businessinsider.com/sam-hinkie-explains-sixers-tanking-plan-2015-2
    from the above link

At his press conference, Hinkie explained his thinking.

He said that the only way to win an NBA title is to have a team that can win 55+ games every year. And the only way to have a team that can win 55+ games every year is to get great players. And the only way to get great players is to have enough picks to either 1) draft a great player, or 2) put together a trade package for a great player that can help you make a "big leap."

so yea your boy tanked for a championship caliber team straight from his mouth. try again juggler try again
  • Options
    pjhawks said:

pjhawks said:

pjhawks said:

Enjoy the ride.

never heard of a rookie being healthy and having his minutes restricted and not playing back to backs but yea ok.

hated the winningest football coach in town because he didn't win enough but ok with mediocrity even after tanking (including the 2nd worst record in NBA history). very interesting. utterly fucking stupid, but interesting.
    Well when you miss two seasons in a row....I think it's smart to be cautious. Again--you said to expect zero production out of him at all.

And your second paragraph makes zero sense....like most of the diarrhea you spout out of your keyboard.
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 2017

pjhawks said:

pjhawks said:

pjhawks said:

Enjoy the ride.

Well when you miss two seasons in a row....I think it's smart to be cautious. Again--you said to expect zero production out of him at all.

And your second paragraph makes zero sense....like most of the diarrhea you spout out of your keyboard.
    by the way you've totally misrepresented and/or misunderstood my comment on Embiid from a year ago but par for the course from the folks here.

let's all hope tanking leads to better than mediocrity even if the great juggler is ok with mediocrity after tanking.
  • Options
    eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 40,862
    bf959b1f-9b77-457c-baf8-038776f33339_zps8a6a389d.jpg?t=1365722973
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly
  • Options
    edited January 2017
  • Options
    pjhawks said:

pjhawks said:

pjhawks said:

pjhawks said:

Enjoy the ride.

by the way you've totally misrepresented and/or misunderstood my comment on Embiid from a year ago but par for the course from the folks here.

let's all hope tanking leads to better than mediocrity even if the great juggler is ok with mediocrity after tanking.
    Yeah, I'm all for mediocrity after tanking. Sign me up!

Point.....sailed directly over your head as usual. How you came to that conclusion from this discussion is beyond anyone who has read through these posts.

http://phillydotcomments.tumblr.com/
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    This "raise the cat thing" is a little confusing to me
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    No CoderNo Coder Brisbane Posts: 1,126
    No All Star berth for Embiid. The East team does not have any C's. Millsap has had another quality year, but surely the East need a BIG man on their bench.

I'll ride the wave where it takes me

*BEC, Brisbane, March 1995
    *BEC, Brisbane, March 1998
    *BEC, Brisbane, November 2006
    *QSAC, Brisbane November 2009
    *EV Solo, QPAC, Brisbane March 10 and 12 2011
    *Big Day Out, Gold Coast, 19 Jan 2014
    *EV Solo, QPAC, Brisbane, 22,23 & 25 Feb 2014