• Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,515
    rgambs said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    rgambs said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    rgambs said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    I hate this show. I am glad some people really enjoy it, but I watched several episodes at one point with an open mind, because I had read good things, and I found it mostly intolerable. Most of the characters just suck IMO. The acting is pretty bad a lot of the time - like overacted - and the situations are kinda dumb more often than not. I honestly don't see what fans are seeing, obviously. I don't think I laughed even once while I watched. It was a chore. I can't believe that people can watch Seinfeld, Curb Your Enthusiasm, The Office, or 30 Rock, and then say this show is as good as those. I just don't get it!
    This and Trailer Park Boys.  People eat both of these shows' shit up and I can't stand either one.
    Just as long as you don't like How I Met Your Mother or Big Bang Theory lol
    I was actually going to compare this show to the Big Bang Theory in my post, but I couldn't remember what it's called. :lol: I don't think Sunny is any better than Big Bang.
    Oh geez that's just silly.
    I can't tell if you are just being contrarian or if you haven't actually seen one or either of the shows.
    There's no way that you can like PJ so much and still have taste poor enough to compare a worse than mainstream Chuck Lorre laughtrack for 30 seconds so that you know there was a "joke" snoozefest to the wacky and wild gang, which has a ton of meta humor and 4-6 people speaking and reacting differently at the same time.

Do you like 2 and a half men too? 
    Are you serious about the contrarian/are you lying comment? No, seriously, lol. I truly dislike this show and not just trying to be some anti-Sunny hipster. :lol: And yes, I've seen enough of it and the Big Bang (gave both a chance because I believed people when they said they were good - maybe I should stop listening to people about TV shows, haha). And the only way I'm comparing the two is in that they both suck equally. :lol:
    No, I totally hate 2 and half men. Why, do you like 2 and half men? I wouldn't be surprised, since you're such a huge fan of such a crappy sitcom as It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia. =);)
    I hate 2.5 men, but I suppose I'd rather watch an episode a day for the rest of my life than hear 1 more Beastie Boys song lol
    HA! I also do not like the Beastie Boys. So we agree!

With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    rgambs said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    I hate this show. I am glad some people really enjoy it, but I watched several episodes at one point with an open mind, because I had read good things, and I found it mostly intolerable. Most of the characters just suck IMO. The acting is pretty bad a lot of the time - like overacted - and the situations are kinda dumb more often than not. I honestly don't see what fans are seeing, obviously. I don't think I laughed even once while I watched. It was a chore. I can't believe that people can watch Seinfeld, Curb Your Enthusiasm, The Office, or 30 Rock, and then say this show is as good as those. I just don't get it!
    https://youtu.be/TNLPGCCUfnY
    Well that's a funny response, but it also outlines why I don't like the show, lol. I just find the writing and the acting distractingly "put on". There is nothing genuine about this show IMO, which is where the appeal is when it comes to Seinfeld or The Office or Curb. I simply find this crazy overacting annoying. I seriously don't find it edgy at all, like you said. That is nice that you find it edgy though. ;)
    Isn't Seinfeld pretty much the definition of overacting?

Not in my opinion, no. But even if I did think so, it wouldn't be even remotely as extreme as it is in Sunny, where I think it is completely out of control and what ruins the show. The thing about Seinfeld and Sunny... is that they have literally nothing in common, besides the fact that they are both sitcoms. I don't even know why these two shows keep getting mentioned together (and I've seen that comparison many, many times), but I went along for the ride I guess.
    You're telling me George Costanza and Cosmo Kramer are more realistic and believable than the gang?
    No, come on.

The shows get compared because they are both shows about nothing, featuring ensemble casts of over the top characters confronting societal issues.  Both ensembles are completely and irrevocably selfish, which is an obvious indictment of our culture.
    While Seinfeld does this through exposing amusing foibles and quirks, Sunny attacks head-on the utter selfish depravity of our society by having the characters just engage in debauchery knowingly.
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:
    rgambs said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    rgambs said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    rgambs said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    This and Trailer Park Boys.  People eat both of these shows' shit up and I can't stand either one.
    Just as long as you don't like How I Met Your Mother or Big Bang Theory lol
    I was actually going to compare this show to the Big Bang Theory in my post, but I couldn't remember what it's called. :lol: I don't think Sunny is any better than Big Bang.
    Oh geez that's just silly.
    I can't tell if you are just being contrarian or if you haven't actually seen one or either of the shows.
    There's no way that you can like PJ so much and still have taste poor enough to compare a worse than mainstream Chuck Lorre laughtrack for 30 seconds so that you know there was a "joke" snoozefest to the wacky and wild gang, which has a ton of meta humor and 4-6 people speaking and reacting differently at the same time.

Do you like 2 and a half men too? 
    Are you serious about the contrarian/are you lying comment? No, seriously, lol. I truly dislike this show and not just trying to be some anti-Sunny hipster. :lol: And yes, I've seen enough of it and the Big Bang (gave both a chance because I believed people when they said they were good - maybe I should stop listening to people about TV shows, haha). And the only way I'm comparing the two is in that they both suck equally. :lol:
    No, I totally hate 2 and half men. Why, do you like 2 and half men? I wouldn't be surprised, since you're such a huge fan of such a crappy sitcom as It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia. =);)
    I hate 2.5 men, but I suppose I'd rather watch an episode a day for the rest of my life than hear 1 more Beastie Boys song lol
    HA! I also do not like the Beastie Boys. So we agree!

That almost squares us, but hating BB isn't as dear to my heart as loving Sunny.
    Plus I know where you stand on the Greatest Hair Band Of All Time, so you're still in the hole.
  • Options
    Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,598
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    rgambs said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    Well that's a funny response, but it also outlines why I don't like the show, lol. I just find the writing and the acting distractingly "put on". There is nothing genuine about this show IMO, which is where the appeal is when it comes to Seinfeld or The Office or Curb. I simply find this crazy overacting annoying. I seriously don't find it edgy at all, like you said. That is nice that you find it edgy though. ;)

Not in my opinion, no. But even if I did think so, it wouldn't be even remotely as extreme as it is in Sunny, where I think it is completely out of control and what ruins the show. The thing about Seinfeld and Sunny... is that they have literally nothing in common, besides the fact that they are both sitcoms. I don't even know why these two shows keep getting mentioned together (and I've seen that comparison many, many times), but I went along for the ride I guess.
    Um yeah, because you compared them
  • Options
    pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,191
    rgambs said:
    Mash???
    My Mom and Grandma watch Mash to go to sleep lol
    That's no joke.  
    It's still funnier than anything on Mash lol

Mash is a great show, classic, entertaining, very witty and memorable, but it isn't funny by any stretch of imagination.

you've just contradicted yourself. witty is funny.  see below.  oh and Cheers is/was a 1000x funnier than It's Always Sunny.

wit·ty
    ˈwidē/
    adjective
    adjective: witty; comparative adjective: wittier; superlative adjective: wittiest
    1. showing or characterized by quick and inventive verbal humor.
      "a witty remark"
      synonyms:humorous, amusing, droll, funny, comic, comical; Morejocular, facetious, waggish, tongue-in-cheek;
      sparkling, scintillating, entertaining;
      clever, quick-witted
      "it was a pleasure to sit and listen to their witty conversations"
    n

• Options
    Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,598
    edited September 2017
    Watched a few episodes from season 12 to confirm and yep, this show is amazing.

Beat it, haters.
  • Options
    edited September 2017
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    rgambs said:
    PJ_Soul said:

Um yeah, because you compared them
    Um yeah, because as I said, I went along for the ride (plus I wasn't the first to bring up the comparison here). I first saw them compared in some dumb article last year that claimed Sunny is "the new Seinfeld". That is actually what made me start watching Sunny in the first place... and I soon realized that that quote was false.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    pjhawks said:
    rgambs said:
    Mash???
    My Mom and Grandma watch Mash to go to sleep lol
    That's no joke.  
    It's still funnier than anything on Mash lol

Mash is a great show, classic, entertaining, very witty and memorable, but it isn't funny by any stretch of imagination.

you've just contradicted yourself. witty is funny.  see below.  oh and Cheers is/was a 1000x funnier than It's Always Sunny.

wit·ty
    ˈwidē/
    adjective
    adjective: witty; comparative adjective: wittier; superlative adjective: wittiest
    1. showing or characterized by quick and inventive verbal humor.
      "a witty remark"
      synonyms:humorous, amusing, droll, funny, comic, comical; More
      jocular, facetious, waggish, tongue-in-cheek;
      sparkling, scintillating, entertaining;
      clever, quick-witted
      "it was a pleasure to sit and listen to their witty conversations"
    n

Witty doesn't make me laugh, chuckle maybe, but not laugh.
    Cheers??
    Formulaic drivel.
    Memorable and loveable characters, but not particularly funny.
  • Options
    I feel like everyone is probably taking this way too seriously. :lol:
  • Options
    Merkin BallerMerkin Baller Posts: 10,475
    edited September 2017
    :Drgambs said:

I can't get enough of this show, and I also can't get over how well they've developed each character. The 12th season had some of the funniest episodes in their entire run (PTSDee, The Gang goes to the Waterpark, The Gang Turns Black)

Hands down one of the best shows out there.

What a horrible thing to say, shame on you.

:D

I will say, it's the funniest show on tv, but Better Call Saul is my #1 these days.

Post edited by Merkin Baller on
  • Options

I've often told people IASIP is like Seinfeld on crack. The main characters in both shows are assholes who care for no one beyond themselves, but in Sunny the asshole factor is ratcheted up x1000. The addition of Danny DeVito after the first season just magnified the insanity, I love him.

The fact that Sunny has managed to stay so fresh after 12 years is very impressive.

I'll admit, it took me a little while before I 'got' Sunny, but once I did I was all in.

PS: The Beastie Boys' Paul's Boutique and Check Your Head were ground breaking masterpieces.

• Options
    JK_LivinJK_Livin South Jersey Posts: 7,364
    Great season. Still a strong show. Frank is the best.
    Alright, alright, alright!
    Tom O.
    "I never had any friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?"
    -The Writer
  • Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,617
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • Options
    pjsteelerfanpjsteelerfan Maryland Posts: 9,883
    The episode at the Zoo is one of their best. Great season. 
    ...got a mind full of questions and a teacher in my soul...
  • Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,617
    The texting shit was so funny
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • Options
    Just watched the zoo / texting episode last night - great stuff.