Options

2017 Buffalo Bills - The hunt for a playoff berth

Comments

• Options
    MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,611

Sean McDermott. I don't have much of an opinion on the guy, but I think we have to give him 4-5 years. The revolving door at coach isn't helping. Either is hiring the the wrong HC *cough cough...Rex Ryan. Can't believe his mall Santa of a brother Rob is being considered for the defensive coordinator of the Redskins.

While I do agree in theory... I do not agree in practice.

The Bills' problems have nothing to do with the revolving door of coaches. It has much more to do with the piss poor management and ownership that has been in place since the team's inception over 50 years ago.

The coaches that they bring in and a churning out are worth diddly shit. None of them get head coaching jobs anywhere. The only two who have landed head coaching positions are the two who voluntarily walked the plank and quit the Bills because of said bad management and too many poison apples pulling strings.

When Pegula finally decides to change the 51 year failed course of Ralph Wilson's crusty NFL Franchise... it will be more obvious

• Options
    pearldavidsonpearldavidson PA Posts: 1,356
    MayDay10 said:

Sean McDermott. I don't have much of an opinion on the guy, but I think we have to give him 4-5 years. The revolving door at coach isn't helping. Either is hiring the the wrong HC *cough cough...Rex Ryan. Can't believe his mall Santa of a brother Rob is being considered for the defensive coordinator of the Redskins.

The Bills' problems have nothing to do with the revolving door of coaches. It has much more to do with the piss poor management and ownership that has been in place since the team's inception over 50 years ago.

The coaches that they bring in and a churning out are worth diddly shit. None of them get head coaching jobs anywhere. The only two who have landed head coaching positions are the two who voluntarily walked the plank and quit the Bills because of said bad management and too many poison apples pulling strings.

When Pegula finally decides to change the 51 year failed course of Ralph Wilson's crusty NFL Franchise... it will be more obvious

I agree with you that Wilson has failed Buffalo fans for the longest time. Are you happy with the McDermott hire? I don't feel strongly either way and a lot of coaches they have brought in seem to be total shit who couldn't get a job anywhere else as you mentioned. Is there a particular coach you wanted? I'm just curious to see what other Buffalo fans think.

PS

I am not much of a fan of Whaley and I can't believe Russ Brandon is still associated with this franchise.
  • Options
    edited January 2017

MayDay10 said:

I agree with you that Wilson has failed Buffalo fans for the longest time. Are you happy with the McDermott hire? I don't feel strongly either way and a lot of coaches they have brought in seem to be total shit who couldn't get a job anywhere else as you mentioned. Is there a particular coach you wanted? I'm just curious to see what other Buffalo fans think.

PS

I am not much of a fan of Whaley and I can't believe Russ Brandon is still associated with this franchise.
    I like McDermott... especially over the prospect of promoting Anthony Lynn, and really changing very little. McDermott seems to be the anti-Rex. Extreme attention to detail which is nice. I also like the young-factor. Should be going to the 4-3 which is better suited for the personnel... however lacking a bit in OLB and S (and CB if Gilmore bolts).
    This reminds me a little bit of the Gregg Williams hire though. All these guys lose a lot of luster once they drive off the lot and the footballs fly.

Like I mentioned above. If I got my wish, I would have had Pegula clean house of the 'lifers' in Brandon, Whaley, Berchtold, Overdorf, Training and Equipment Staff, etc... and brought in Nick Cesario from New England to be the team President on a long-term contract. He would build the program, and would likely choose Josh McDaniels or Matt Patricia for HC. The runner-up prize would be if they did similar and installed Coughlin as President/Consultant.

The problem with McDermott is, even if he is capable, they are dealing him cards from a tainted deck. Whaley has had public friction with the last 2 head coaches. The same people are behind the scenes being involved in football matters. The Pegulas themselves are way too involved. Absolutely nobody in that front office has been involved in a winning organization or know what it looks like. Every few years, these people seem to be able to buy themselves more time with these coaching 'resets'. As a fan, I am not willing to just put my faith in the new coaching hire and give it 5 years to bear fruit. If things hit the skids next season, I am going to want them to napalm the front office. I have been at this point for 10 years with these guys.

• Options
    MayDay10 said:

MayDay10 said:

PS

I like McDermott... especially over the prospect of promoting Anthony Lynn, and really changing very little. McDermott seems to be the anti-Rex. Extreme attention to detail which is nice. I also like the young-factor. Should be going to the 4-3 which is better suited for the personnel... however lacking a bit in OLB and S (and CB if Gilmore bolts).
    This reminds me a little bit of the Gregg Williams hire though. All these guys lose a lot of luster once they drive off the lot and the footballs fly.

Like I mentioned above. If I got my wish, I would have had Pegula clean house of the 'lifers' in Brandon, Whaley, Berchtold, Overdorf, Training and Equipment Staff, etc... and brought in Nick Cesario from New England to be the team President on a long-term contract. He would build the program, and would likely choose Josh McDaniels or Matt Patricia for HC. The runner-up prize would be if they did similar and installed Coughlin as President/Consultant.

The problem with McDermott is, even if he is capable, they are dealing him cards from a tainted deck. Whaley has had public friction with the last 2 head coaches. The same people are behind the scenes being involved in football matters. The Pegulas themselves are way too involved. Absolutely nobody in that front office has been involved in a winning organization or know what it looks like. Every few years, these people seem to be able to buy themselves more time with these coaching 'resets'. As a fan, I am not willing to just put my faith in the new coaching hire and give it 5 years to bear fruit. If things hit the skids next season, I am going to want them to napalm the front office. I have been at this point for 10 years with these guys.

Napalm the front office. I like the sounds of that. I wonder if these idiots even care about winning sometimes. I know they very much care about ticket sales. They won't get my money.
  • Options
    The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,279
    I think you guys made a quality hire for once. As an Eagles fan I've always been a fan of McDermott and was really pissed when Andy Reid got rid of him after only one season as the d coordinator. He's young but he's plenty experienced and learned from one of the best in Jim Johnson, RIP.

One interesting tidbit that you might not be aware of. Looks like one of his first hires was Juan Castillo to be the offensive line coach. Who was the guy Andy Reid replaced McDermott at defensive coordinator?......yup, his offensive line coach at the time, Juan Castillo. Probably the dumbest personnel move in the team's history which obviously failed miserably. Thought it was pretty ironic to see McDermott hire him right away...
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    Cya later doug whaley. what a waste that guy was. let me be gm and i could do better.
  • Options
    WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,465
    sayonarra sammy watkins? WTF are they doin' up there?
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Options
    Wobbie said:
    sayonarra sammy watkins? WTF are they doin' up there?

They should have never moved up to draft him. Just 1 of the reasons Doug Whaley is gone. Can't predict injuries, but Evans and ODB were available if Sammy was gone by their original pick.
  • Options
    WhatYouTaughtMeWhatYouTaughtMe I have no idea what's going on right now! Posts: 4,957
    It's a great example of how jaded Buffalo fans are when the team is 5-2 and there hasn't been a post here since May. I guess we are all waiting for the inevitable collapse? Made a couple of trades this week that I like.
  • Options
    I post in a couple other forums about the bills.  It rarely occurs to me to post here.  

People in buffalo are pretty optimistic about the new management for the most part.  Even if the depth catches up to them this season, good times are ahead
  • Options
    WhatYouTaughtMeWhatYouTaughtMe I have no idea what's going on right now! Posts: 4,957
    It's a great example of how jaded Buffalo fans are when the team is 5-2 and there hasn't been a post here since May. I guess we are all waiting for the inevitable collapse? Made a couple of trades this week that I like.
    Just in time to get our ass kicked on primetime by the stinking Jets...
  • Options
    I think everyone in Buffalo was waiting for that shoe to drop.

The fact is, that this is early in a rebuild/process.  5-3 halfway through is great right now.  They have a lot of draft picks coming up and a revamped scouting department based in modern times as opposed to what we have had to endure.  There currently is no depth at all in most positions, and even some of the starting positions have warm body fillers in there.  
  • Options
    davidtriosdavidtrios Posts: 9,732
    Will the Bills stop the Saints? It would be a huge win for their confidence. I hope Kelvin Benjamin will be a big factor this week.
  • Options
    I don't know.  

Just as troubling is the Saints defense, who is finally good with some top level athletes.  6 Game winning streak.  

It would be a huge statement win, especially following up with @Chargers, @Chiefs and New England.  I would take 2-2 in this stretch any day of the week to get to 7-5.... with Colts, Dolphins, Pats, @ Dolphins to close it out.  
  • Options
    Bills have a 42% chance of making the playoffs, cmon!!

• Options
    eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 40,878
    Bills have a 42% chance of making the playoffs, cmon!!

Image result for nobody circles the wagons like the buffalo bills
    bf959b1f-9b77-457c-baf8-038776f33339_zps8a6a389d.jpg?t=1365722973
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly
  • Options
    Wooooooooooooot! Best birthday ever!
  • Options
    just an insane sequence
  • Options
    DegeneratefkDegeneratefk Posts: 3,123
    I can't believe they got in. Being a die hard cubs and bills fan has been rough. But hey, the cubs did it!

They can beat Jax. Then on to Foxboro...
    will myself to find a home, a home within myself
    we will find a way, we will find our place
  • Options
    Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,601
    Pretty cool, fellas. Coming from upstate New York where it was split like 75/25 Giants/Bill I certainly am not a bills fan by any stretch of the imagination, but really happy for a lot of people and have a soft spot for them. My brother in law is beyond pumped. They're gonna win next week

• Options
    congrats guys! :clap:
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
  • Options
    i love this.  in the concourse in miami after the game watching the bengals

• Options
    I'm a Dolphins fan but I completely endorse a Bills playoff appearance. And I enjoyed this play that only my loser Dolphins can give up.....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=37ubV6aO4EI&feature=youtu.be
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • Options
    WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,465
    I can't believe they got in. Being a die hard cubs and bills fan has been rough. But hey, the cubs did it!

They can beat Jax. Then on to Foxboro...

yep, they can.

taylor > bortles.
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Options
    Image result for buffalo bills mafia gif

8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
  • Options
    Ledbetterman10Ledbetterman10 Posts: 16,728
    edited January 2018

See, these fans deserve this....if only for a week. 

Now, as for people that don't deserve it....

He's a microcosm for the fact that Patriots fans have become more insufferable than Yankees fans. 
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • Options
    HOLY SHIT MAZEL TOV IM SO STOKED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Options
    Ugh
  • Options
    Off to a great start lol
    Worcester1 13, Worcester2 13, Hartford 13, San Diego 13, Los Angeles1 13, Los Angeles2 13
    Trieste 14, Vienna 14, Gdynia 14, Leeds 14, Milton Keynes 14, Denver 14
    Central Park 15
    Fort Lauderdale 16, Miami 16, Tampa 16, Jacksonville 16, Greenville 16, Hampton 16, Columbia 16, Lexington 16, Philly1 16, Philly2 16, NYC1 16, NYC2 16, Quebec City 16, Ottawa 16, Toronto1 16, Toronto2 16, Fenway1 16, Fenway2 16, Wrigley1 16, Wrigley2 16

• Options
    Off to a great start lol
    Not a single first down in the first half.