Options

The Official 2010 VILLANOVA WILDCAT Basketball Thread

The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,272
edited February 2010 in All Encompassing Trip
LET'S GO NOVA.....

well The Defending East Regional Champs are off to a good start...

those crafty penn quakers come to the dupont tonight to watch nova win their 19th of 20 big 5 games :mrgreen:

LETS GO NOVA!!!!
chinese-happy.jpg
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    jked3jked3 Posts: 167
    Good to see Wildcat fans on the board - you a 'Nova alum? Class of '99 here.

I'm interested to see how Jay is going utilize all the young, raw talent we have. We're getting alot of hype again this year based on last year's performance. Jay keeps saying it and he's right, they are very, very young and expectations should be tempered. Again this year though, I think our speed and athleticism with the guards will cause huge matchup problems for alot of teams they'll play. Should be another fun year.

BTW - The Big East tournament at MSG is about the only thing that comes close to PJ at that venue.
    Columbia 96/98;Randall's Island 96;Tibetan Freedom 97;Late Show 98;Camden 98/00/03/06/08;E Rutherford 98/06;MSG 98/03/08;VF Choice (DC) 98;Uniondale 03;State College 03;Holmdel 03;VF Change (Reading) 04;AC 05;Philly 05; Lolla 07.....[EV Newark 08]
  • Options
    jked3 wrote:

I'm interested to see how Jay is going utilize all the young, raw talent we have. We're getting alot of hype again this year based on last year's performance. Jay keeps saying it and he's right, they are very, very young and expectations should be tempered. Again this year though, I think our speed and athleticism with the guards will cause huge matchup problems for alot of teams they'll play. Should be another fun year.

BTW - The Big East tournament at MSG is about the only thing that comes close to PJ at that venue.

no not an alum. i grew up down lancaster avenue in wayne though. been a fan since i was a kid and used to sneak into the dupont to shoot hoops back in high school....and, yes, i still call it the dupont. :mrgreen:

i agree with the expectations being mostly about last year. i like the young bucks on the roster. but they will need time to jell.
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    Jearlpam0925Jearlpam0925 Deep South Philly Posts: 16,778
    Fudge 'Nova!
  • Options
    'Nova 103 : UPenn 65

Command performance at home tonight...Six players in double figures and 60% from the floor...held UPenn to 35% shooting.
    Columbia 96/98;Randall's Island 96;Tibetan Freedom 97;Late Show 98;Camden 98/00/03/06/08;E Rutherford 98/06;MSG 98/03/08;VF Choice (DC) 98;Uniondale 03;State College 03;Holmdel 03;VF Change (Reading) 04;AC 05;Philly 05; Lolla 07.....[EV Newark 08]
  • Options
    They're gonna be badass this year. Glad the Ville only plays them once....and we get them at home!
    "It's all happening"
  • Options
    nfanelnfanel Posts: 2,558
    jked3 wrote:

class of '99 here, too!

looking forward to seeing the new recruits. hard to say so early how the team will be with the new recruits ...hopefully we're in for a great season!
  • Options
    pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,195
    jked3 wrote:

young talent - like a 26 year old freshman? haha going to use that one a lot this year

I hate Nova so much but guards win in college bball and they are loaded with perimeter players. no one has close to the depth of perimeter players they have. going to be almost impossible to shut this team down. If Stokes reaches his potential they will be scray good like the Foye team. that guy has such an upside with his size, just hasn't totally put it together yet. Fisher and Reynolds pretty much can get to the basket anytime. Wayns looks pretty darn good too. going to be a long year for us that dislike Nova.
  • Options
    jked3 wrote:

Command performance at home tonight...Six players in double figures and 60% from the floor...held UPenn to 35% shooting.

a lot closer than i thought it would be

:arrow: :mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen:
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    nfanel wrote:
    jked3 wrote:

class of '99 here, too!

looking forward to seeing the new recruits. hard to say so early how the team will be with the new recruits ...hopefully we're in for a great season!

Sweet - Class of '99 rocks....I was bummed I couldn't make the reunion this past summer (my brother's wedding). I was a Civil Engineering major - lived in O'Dwyer, Moriarty, Welsh, and West Conshohocken...you?

We'll have a solid year, but it is still too early to tell how good we're going to be...it will be fun though as always! My buddies and I are at all the Nova games at the Wachovia Center...the tables in front of Chickie's & Pete's at the Pavillion bar downstairs from when it opens until game time...Can't wait for the Big East Tournament and hopefully a trip to Lucas Oil Stadium...(We went to Detroit last year and it was such a great time)
  • Options
    pjhawks wrote:
    jked3 wrote:

young talent - like a 26 year old freshman? haha going to use that one a lot this year

I hate Nova so much but guards win in college bball and they are loaded with perimeter players. no one has close to the depth of perimeter players they have. going to be almost impossible to shut this team down. If Stokes reaches his potential they will be scray good like the Foye team. that guy has such an upside with his size, just hasn't totally put it together yet. Fisher and Reynolds pretty much can get to the basket anytime. Wayns looks pretty darn good too. going to be a long year for us that dislike Nova.

Must be a jealous St. Joe fan, right?..LOL

Stokes needs to step up and reach his potential this year...he is scary good...I said from his freshman year that he could be the Big East POY by the time he's a Senior
  • Options
    eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 40,878
    Sports Illustrated College b-ball preview has them ranked #3 :D

Behind only Kansas and Mich. St.
    bf959b1f-9b77-457c-baf8-038776f33339_zps8a6a389d.jpg?t=1365722973
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly
  • Options
    jked3 wrote:
    pjhawks wrote:

Stokes needs to step up and reach his potential this year...he is scary good...I said from his freshman year that he could be the Big East POY by the time he's a Senior

stokes is a f'ing ASSASSIN from behind the arc.

and yes, he is a jealous st joes fan :mrgreen:
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    jked3 wrote:
    pjhawks wrote:
    jked3 wrote:

St. Joe's fan yes, jealous no. see even when given props Nova fans can't be anything but arrogant pr----
  • Options
    booomm11booomm11 Posts: 865
    Play the Roman kid
    being so KiND.. tO LEt me RiDe!!!
  • Options
    Steve DunneSteve Dunne Posts: 4,965
    see you 2/15/10...good luck until then... 8-)
    I love to turn you on
  • Options
    Solat13Solat13 Philadelphia Posts: 6,996
    jked3 wrote:

Yeah, since Dunphy left Penn's program is in shambles. One of the loudest crowds I've ever heard was Penn's OT win over Nova at the Palestra back in 2001. When Dunphy was there at least games were competitive (I think he was something like 4-6 against Nova at Penn). Now it's an automatic blowout for Nova each year.
    - Busted down the pretext
    - 8/28/98
    - 9/2/00
    - 4/28/03, 5/3/03, 7/3/03, 7/5/03, 7/6/03, 7/9/03, 7/11/03, 7/12/03, 7/14/03
    - 9/28/04, 9/29/04, 10/1/04, 10/2/04
    - 9/11/05, 9/12/05, 9/13/05, 9/30/05, 10/1/05, 10/3/05
    - 5/12/06, 5/13/06, 5/27/06, 5/28/06, 5/30/06, 6/1/06, 6/3/06, 6/23/06, 7/22/06, 7/23/06, 12/2/06, 12/9/06
    - 8/2/07, 8/5/07
    - 6/19/08, 6/20/08, 6/22/08, 6/24/08, 6/25/08, 6/27/08, 6/28/08, 6/30/08, 7/1/08
    - 8/23/09, 8/24/09, 9/21/09, 9/22/09, 10/27/09, 10/28/09, 10/30/09, 10/31/09
    - 5/15/10, 5/17/10, 5/18/10, 5/20/10, 5/21/10, 10/23/10, 10/24/10
    - 9/11/11, 9/12/11
    - 10/18/13, 10/21/13, 10/22/13, 11/30/13, 12/4/13
  • Options
    Solat13 wrote:
    jked3 wrote:

Yeah, since Dunphy left Penn's program is in shambles. One of the loudest crowds I've ever heard was Penn's OT win over Nova at the Palestra back in 2001. When Dunphy was there at least games were competitive (I think he was something like 4-6 against Nova at Penn). Now it's an automatic blowout for Nova each year.

that was also towards the tail end of nova's dark ages though...
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    'NOVA 69 : George Mason 68

An ugly, ugly perfomance in a game the Cats didn't deserve to win. Clutch late 3s in the last seconds by Wayns and Armwood (both Freshman) were the difference.
  • Options
    jked3 wrote:

An ugly, ugly perfomance in a game the Cats didn't deserve to win. Clutch late 3s in the last seconds by Wayns and Armwood (both Freshman) were the difference.

i heard that score on a radio update last night and i thought i heard it wrong....yowzers....when is their first tv game?
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    jked3 wrote:

i heard that score on a radio update last night and i thought i heard it wrong....yowzers....when is their first tv game?

a real fan would know that - just kidding

goooooooooooooooooooo Dayton Flyers.
  • Options
    jked3 wrote:

3 PM EST today on ESPNU vs. Dayton
  • Options
    pjhawks wrote:
    jked3 wrote:

goooooooooooooooooooo Dayton Flyers.

get out of here. go start a st joes hawks thread.
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    [/quote]

goooooooooooooooooooo Dayton Flyers.[/quote]

get out of here. go start a st joes hawks thread.[/quote]

what I'm not allowed to talk about my 2nd favorite team? whoever is playing Nova
  • Options
    pjhawks wrote:

goooooooooooooooooooo Dayton Flyers.[/quote]

get out of here. go start a st joes hawks thread.[/quote]

what I'm not allowed to talk about my 2nd favorite team? whoever is playing Nova[/quote]

if you learn to quote properly
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    listened to the last part of the game on the radio after work. despite blowing a big lead, i think another close win is good for this team. good for the young bucks to learn how to grind it out at the end.

sucks that sunday's game is on at the same time as the birds. i have not had a chance to see them in action yet :thumbdown:

GO CATS!
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    MOUPHTAU YAROU might be out for the year with a viral infection. other than the fact that he is a big man who we need on the court, if this is true, i will miss out on a whole season of saying MOUPHTAU YAROU! :evil:
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    how bout those 14-1 villanova wildcats?!?!

HUGE week coming up. big monday against louisville and gtown next weekend......nice to have redding and MOUPHTAOU YAROO back though.

LET'S GO NOVA!
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    'Cats grind out a great win at Louisville tonight...any road win in conference is tough to get no matter who you are...Louisville's press in the first half was nasty, but 'Nova showed them what defensive pressure is in the second half...Jay Wright typically makes the exact adjustments needed at halftime - that's why he's one of the best coaches in the country

Scottie Reynolds (36 Pts) is just unbelievable...he will finish in the top 5 for the Wooden Award this year "Guaranteed"

BTW - the "white out" is so lame and Pitino looks like a complete douche in that suit

Also, 65 personal fouls in a game is just crazy
  • Options
    jked3 wrote:
    'Cats grind out a great win at Louisville tonight...any road win in conference is tough to get no matter who you are...Louisville's press in the first half was nasty, but 'Nova showed them what defensive pressure is in the second half...Jay Wright typically makes the exact adjustments needed at halftime - that's why he's one of the best coaches in the country

Scottie Reynolds (36 Pts) is just unbelievable...he will finish in the top 5 for the Wooden Award this year "Guaranteed"

BTW - the "white out" is so lame and Pitino looks like a complete douche in that suit

Also, 65 personal fouls in a game is just crazy

unfortunately i had to work till 10 so i was watching it on espn's gamecast. that is a SOLID win. g town on sunday!!
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    chimpatchimpat Posts: 590
    Great win. Bring on the Hoyas!
    "This is about as perfect a crowd as you can get. I hate to placate, I ain't placating...." - EV, 9/29/96