*** Philadelphia 4 Fanviews Here 10/31/09 ***

Comments

• AMAZING SHOW! Only my second PJ show and I am amazed. Still in awe. Definitely the best concert I have ever seen. I thought the crowd was incredible, I can't imagine what it was like the other nights if the crowd was better for them. It was like one big party, more than a show.

One question. Before Alive Eddie said that they hadn't played this song since State College and he promised he'll never play it again. Can anyone fill me in on what he's referring to?

Thanks
    6-25-2008 MSG
    10-31-2009 Spectrum
    5-18-2010 Newark
  • embraceembrace Posts: 849
    AMAZING SHOW! Only my second PJ show and I am amazed. Still in awe. Definitely the best concert I have ever seen. I thought the crowd was incredible, I can't imagine what it was like the other nights if the crowd was better for them. It was like one big party, more than a show.

One question. Before Alive Eddie said that they hadn't played this song since State College and he promised he'll never play it again. Can anyone fill me in on what he's referring to?

Thanks

I think he said they'd not played this long since State College (prev held record for longest show) and that they would never do it again ;0
    got a car...got some gas...oh let's get out of here-get out of here fast...
    I hope you get this message but your not home...I will be there in just a minute or so...
    I want to go but I want to go with you.

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime. -MT

I've had enough, said enough, felt enough. I'm fine, still in it.
  • I heard him say that too and was surprised that no one mentioned it on here until now. He said "This is it this song is yours, belongs to you now and we'll never play it again after tonight."

Then they went into Alive
  • AndySlashAndySlash Posts: 3,205
    Arakias wrote:
    i made it its own thread but i wrote this because andyslash seems to be upset about peoples enthusiasm

why do people still consider pearl jams breaks (and returns) encores? I feel last night (10/31) the only "encore" was yellow ledbetter because everyone would have been happy after "rocking".

i believe that pearl jam takes breaks in order to allow the bootleg cds not to run over 80 mins or whatever per disc especially because its only been since the official bootlegs have we been getting "encores" of songs equally as long as the first "set" as people would say. this also leads to crowds actually taking a break between sets knowing full well that the show is not over and pearl jam will be returning. there is no need (not to be confused with there is no desire) for anyone to holler for them to return in these breaks!

I don't think you really know what an encore is supposed to be. they especially don't take "encore breaks" just to fit shows to bootleg CDs.

i believe i am justified in my comments because Ed himself said, upon coming back out on to the stage, "you still here?", and it wasn't done in a "wow, you guys are still here!" way, it was in a "is there anybody even out there?" way.

did it ruin the show? absolutely not. the first few songs of that encore didn't exactly cater to getting the crowd riled back up either. but it definitely was a lull, there was no energy for quite awhile, and it WILL be noticeable when you see/hear the show. the band can't feed off of any energy when there isn't any there.

is it any wonder american bands tend to love european and south american crowds? they don't sit on their asses expecting an encore. i get that people were tired and needed a breather- we all had just powered through 21 songs. but at least show a little enthusiasm during the break to show that we earn an encore in the first place. it's not too hard to fucking clap, you know.

and before any of you think i'm bitching about the show or anything, i'm not. i loved this show, i dreamt about it last night, woke up with songs in my head, and generally have been on cloud nine since about 9pm last night. This was an epic show to be a part of. the crowd was amazing for most of the show. i just felt the crowd let the band down in those moments, and i don't have a problem saying so.
  • This looks like a very fun show. I don't understand why people would be jealous of those who were there. I get some of the rarities and those there now have a conversation starter but....don't be jealous. Enjoy the shows you have been to. Those are the most important ones
  • Blind3Blind3 Posts: 1,149
    Ed's "Are these shows recorded?" after the Gene Simmons- Kiss makeup - Moms banter with Mike was absolutely priceless !!!

Have to say I choked up at the end. Part of the reason was four of the greatest nights of my life were at an end . Part because I feel like I'm losing an old friend. I attended concerts, Flyers, Sixers, and Phantoms games, The Harlem Globetrotters, and even the Ice Capades with Mom and Dad as a twelve year old, at the Sardine Can for forty years. Had to lay one Last Kiss on the wall of the building. Goodbye old friend !!!!
    "Buy the ticket,take the ride"
    Dr. Hunter S. Thompson

"If I wanted you to understand, I would have explained it better"
    Johan Cruijff
  • oona leftoona left Posts: 1,672
    RJNadge4 wrote:
    yess!!! OUT OF MY MIND!! and I missed it!? I will never forgive myself for not going to this show

http://community.pearljam.com/viewtopic ... 4&t=108950

Me neither!!

I am stunned by this setlist. I had the gall to believe they would bust out "Bugs," but "Out Of My Mind"?!?!! I cried when I read that.

I'm thrilled for everyone that attended, but I'm also seething with envy right now.

PS I would like to thank the guy who promised a "large sum of money" (is that what Ed said?) in order to secure this event. Thank you, thank you, thank you!!!
  • BeanBean Posts: 7
    Blind3 wrote:
    Ed's "Are these shows recorded?" after the Gene Simmons- Kiss makeup - Moms banter with Mike was absolutely priceless !!!

Have to say I choked up at the end. Part of the reason was four of the greatest nights of my life were at an end . Part because I feel like I'm losing an old friend. I attended concerts, Flyers, Sixers, and Phantoms games, The Harlem Globetrotters, and even the Ice Capades with Mom and Dad as a twelve year old, at the Sardine Can for forty years. Had to lay one Last Kiss on the wall of the building. Goodbye old friend !!!!

Same for me - Plus the circus on my first date with my husband and my first concert -- KISS in 1976!
  • ItsOK921ItsOK921 Posts: 169
    FloydZoot wrote:
    Incredible show. The people complaining about the crowd are just being tools and most likely have an agenda or are jealous that the show wasn't in their town. The crowd was ballistic from the 1st note. Great great night.

Thank you! Finally someone said it
  • I have been in the fan club for over a decade and my seats get better each show. To my amazement last nite I won the lottery and got front row on Stone's side. Unbelievable. Think I was in shock until they took the stage. Highlights for me were Smile, Crown of Thorns, I Got Shit. But the whole show was so amazing. I was there Friday nite also (thanks to a friend who is also a huge fan and helped me out with tickets...thanks Dan!) and couldn't imagine anything being better than Friday...until last nite. The songs and length of the show, that fact it is the last show at the Spectrum, front row seats...it can't get any better than that. Ed banged his mouth into the mike and really hurt himself...they gave him some ice and he stood in front of us icing his mouth. Then he gave the bag to the guy next to me and we all ate Eddie's ice!! I managed to get a pick and the guy next to me (the iceman) got the set list from Boom. Confetti...balloons...41 songs...definitely epic. It was so once-in-a-lifetime and I didn't want it to end. Special thanks to the 10C for the great seats. Never thought I would win the lottery, and I did on the best night ever. Will never forget last nite.
  • Pepe SilviaPepe Silvia Posts: 3,758
    AndySlash wrote:
    Arakias wrote:
    i made it its own thread but i wrote this because andyslash seems to be upset about peoples enthusiasm

why do people still consider pearl jams breaks (and returns) encores? I feel last night (10/31) the only "encore" was yellow ledbetter because everyone would have been happy after "rocking".

i believe that pearl jam takes breaks in order to allow the bootleg cds not to run over 80 mins or whatever per disc especially because its only been since the official bootlegs have we been getting "encores" of songs equally as long as the first "set" as people would say. this also leads to crowds actually taking a break between sets knowing full well that the show is not over and pearl jam will be returning. there is no need (not to be confused with there is no desire) for anyone to holler for them to return in these breaks!

I don't think you really know what an encore is supposed to be. they especially don't take "encore breaks" just to fit shows to bootleg CDs.

i believe i am justified in my comments because Ed himself said, upon coming back out on to the stage, "you still here?", and it wasn't done in a "wow, you guys are still here!" way, it was in a "is there anybody even out there?" way.

did it ruin the show? absolutely not. the first few songs of that encore didn't exactly cater to getting the crowd riled back up either. but it definitely was a lull, there was no energy for quite awhile, and it WILL be noticeable when you see/hear the show. the band can't feed off of any energy when there isn't any there.

is it any wonder american bands tend to love european and south american crowds? they don't sit on their asses expecting an encore. i get that people were tired and needed a breather- we all had just powered through 21 songs. but at least show a little enthusiasm during the break to show that we earn an encore in the first place. it's not too hard to fucking clap, you know.

and before any of you think i'm bitching about the show or anything, i'm not. i loved this show, i dreamt about it last night, woke up with songs in my head, and generally have been on cloud nine since about 9pm last night. This was an epic show to be a part of. the crowd was amazing for most of the show. i just felt the crowd let the band down in those moments, and i don't have a problem saying so.

i don't think the breaks have anything to do with cds because the shows i went to in '03 all had the encore breaks on the 2nd cd. they ended with rvm then left the stage.

maybe people don't scream and yell during the breaks because everyone knows they're coming back out to play a bunch more songs so they see it as a chance to sit down, piss, get a beer.....PJ probably likes a break, too
    don't compete; coexist

what are you but my reflection? who am i to judge or strike you down?

"I will promise you this, that if we have not gotten our troops out by the time I am president, it is the first thing I will do. I will get our troops home. We will bring an end to this war. You can take that to the bank." - Barack Obama

when you told me 'if you can't beat 'em, join 'em'
    i was thinkin 'death before dishonor'
  • FloydZoot wrote:
    I heard him say that too and was surprised that no one mentioned it on here until now. He said "This is it this song is yours, belongs to you now and we'll never play it again after tonight."

Then they went into Alive

He was talking about State College being the longest show they had ever played (until last night) and he said they would never play this LONG again ... ever.

Some of my favorite moments were when Eddie said he wanted to bring someone up on stage but first commented on the rumors that had been swirling around. He said things like "why do you need that guy when you have Matt?" and "why do you need them when you have me?" and then the crowd erupted into "Eddie! Eddie! Eddie!" chants. And when he brought out Charlie and let him speak. Man, that warmed my heart right there. "My name is Charlie (???) and I'm with local (xxx). Enjoy the show." And then the chants of "Charlie! Charlie! Charlie!" Ahhh.

Don't it make you smile?
    “I worked really hard on this set. I just told you we’re gonna have a great night, so I don’t need any fuckin’ help from anybody.” EV, 7/2/09
  • Gary CarterGary Carter Shea Stadium Posts: 13,940
    AndySlash wrote:
    Arakias wrote:

how the fuck are you supposed to rock out to slow songs or the fact that ed said if you wanna take a piss or whatnot do so for the next few songs. If you were at this show, you clearly are dumb as bricks and need your memory looked at. I hope to god you weren't at the show last night cause your post is the most dumbest and elitist I've seen. FUCK DA EUROPE CROWDS. Seriously I'm so fucking sick of them.. If you like europe crowds so god damn much than fucking move there and if you do live there than STAY DA FUCK in europe you elitist prick.
    Ron: I just don't feel like going out tonight
    Sammi: Wanna just break up?

• Simply said UNBELIEVABLE. 3.5 hours packed with rarities, awesome energy, couldn't have been better. Not the least bit disappointed that the rumors were false, and loved that Eddie addressed them early on so their wouldn't be any disappointment. BUGS!!!!! A show that will live on PJ folklore for years.
  • SoybeansSoybeans Posts: 245
    edited November 2009
    This show was wild. My body hurts in so many ways from jumping around and screaming ALL WEEK. My fav part of the night was actually during betterman. Had nothing to do with the show itself, but the 3 security guards next to me knew this one and they put their arms around me and sang at the top of their lungs....surreal.

Bugs was better than I could've imagined. Eddie looked so funny with the accordian. The devo thing was great too. I was laughing the whole time. Jeff growling through Sweet Lew while Eddie double dribbled was also hilarious.

I met some really cool people tonight in the smoking area. Hardly anybody gave me shit for wearing my Mattingly jersey. Although one guy actually wanted to fight me in the bathroom(so I threatened to piss on him, and he backed off)

I had confetti in my pants when I got home. It went flying out when I was changing after the show. One last comical moment to cap off the Halloween I will never forget.

Also, Ed's voice sounded great every night this week. Fuck the naysayers, Ed. You've still got it.!!
    Post edited by Soybeans on
    90 shows and counting...some of my favs: Randall's Island night 2, Milwaukee '95 night 2, Hawaii '06, St Johns '05, PJ20!
  • HinnHinn Posts: 1,517
    Others have talked about the show. And it is a thread about the show.

But holy shit that tailgate in G2 was EPIC. I've been in many a PJ party, but fuckkkkkkkkkkkkkkkk that was some seriously great action down there. How many people did we have around there?
    115 bucks for half a haircut by a novice? I want my money back!
  • HOLY CHRIST! just watching all the videos on youtube has my SO PUMPED... i cant imagine what it mustve been like to be there... between those 4 shows they played every rarity anyone could ever hope for... im kicking myself for not finding a way out to philly! WOW... this band never fails to amaze... they mustve had the time of their lives just putting that setlist together :lol::lol:

WOO!

i hope they ride that energy over to australia and keep putting on shows that kick that much ass!
    "Senza speme vivemo in disio"

http://seanbriceart.com/
    WHO GOT THE BASKETBALL?????
    somebody in the back of section 102 got it. I think it was row 18 that it came too.

• 10-31-09 my 31st show. I had so much fun this 4 night run. Unbelievable! Goodbye Spectrum.
  • shmapshmap Posts: 359
    A guy in Section 105, Row 4, Seat 3 or 4 was the lucky recipient of the basketball.
  • nfanelnfanel Posts: 2,558
    there's nothing i can say that hasn't been said.

amazing, amazing show...rarities i never thought i'd hear, great people, band in great spirits, ticker tape and balloons!

it's been a helluva week and i am seriously so sad now that it's over. thank you, pearl jam!!!! i feel so lucky to have been a part of this.
  • URthekeyURthekey Posts: 1,619
    I really had such a great week in Philadelphia, despite the rain and lack of sleep.
    Last nights show was so much fun - great songs, great energy from the band.
    I think I'm going to have serious withdrawl after these shows.

P.S. I Had so much fun dressing up as "The Fixer", got to talk to (and freak out) a lot of cool people. If anyone who took a picture can share I'd be grateful since I spaced out and left my camera at home.

Thanks PJ, Thanks 10C, Thanks Bad Religion and Social D. A truely unforgettable run of shows.
  • mca47mca47 Posts: 13,248
    I wasn't there, but I hate all of you that were! :lol:

Bastards!

j/k. Very jealous!
  • xavier mcdanielxavier mcdaniel Somewhere in NYC Posts: 9,064
    It was nice to get "All Those Yesterdays" on Tuesday as well as Mankind. Breath was also a thrill since I had heard about the Borgata show in 2005 and the MSG show in 1998 that I frantically tried to win tickets for but failed. I think each time I heard a song I hadn't before, so that was cool and the crowds, especially the last two shows were amazing. I've always liked coming down to Philadelphia and this week only made that experience even that much more enjoyable.
    Reading 2004
    Albany 2006 Camden 2006 E. Rutherford 2, 2006 Inglewood 2006,
    Chicago 2007
    Camden 2008 MSG 2008 MSG 2008 Hartford 2008.
    Seattle 2009 Seattle 2009 Philadelphia 2009,Philadelphia 2009 Philadelphia 2009
    Hartford 2010 MSG 2010 MSG 2010
    Toronto 2011,Toronto 2011
    Wrigley Field 2013 Brooklyn 2013 Brooklyn 2013 Philadelphia 2, 2013
    Philadelphia 1, 2016 Philadelphia 2 2016 New York 2016 New York 2016 Fenway 1, 2016
    Fenway 2, 2018
    MSG 2022
    St. Paul, 1, St. Paul 2 2023
    "I play good, hard-nosed basketball.
    Things happen in the game. Nothing you
    can do. I don't go and say,
    "I'm gonna beat this guy up."
  • Thank you Pearl Jam! What a spectacle of an event. Last night was amazing, surreal, and just about the most fun you can have at a rock show.

Night started of with a slight hiccough that turned out to be quite fortuitous. I bought 10C tickets for Wed and Fri but didn't think I was going to be able to make Saturdays show. I bought tickets from a friend of a friend in section 319 about a month after the show sold out just in case. We go to our seats last night and the security guard shakes his head points to our seats where a large stage light and platform had been bolted into the ground. We were reassigned seats by guest services for section 222 row 11. Although the stage backdrop and lights obscured some of our view we got a very up close view of Cameron and McCready all night. I found that being behind the stage I actually watched the crowd most of the night. It was amazing to watch everyone sing and dance.

Highlights for me:
    Seeing the guys come out of the tunnel in Devo costumes and break out into Whip It.
    Bugs: although an awkward 1st attempt at playing live I still enjoyed every minute of it.
    Unthought Known: gets me all emotional. Love hearing it live!

At the end of the show I watched the guys head out of the tunnel. Each stopped before heading out and turned to say good bye to the fans with a look of complete admiration and praise. You could tell they are truly grateful for their fans.

Of the three shows I saw Friday for me was my favorite, but last night was like the icing on the cake: sweet fun and for celebration!

Its now Sunday afternoon and I'm exhausted and have no voice left from this marathon of concerts but still smiling and elated from the experience.

Cheers!
  • i love the strings on bugs... has a "fiddler on the roof" feel... glad they got through the whole thing... i gotta get this boot!

were they pro shooting the philly run? could make for an incredible DVD
    "Senza speme vivemo in disio"

http://seanbriceart.com/
  • URthekey wrote:
    I really had such a great week in Philadelphia, despite the rain and lack of sleep.
    Last nights show was so much fun - great songs, great energy from the band.
    I think I'm going to have serious withdrawl after these shows.

P.S. I Had so much fun dressing up as "The Fixer", got to talk to (and freak out) a lot of cool people. If anyone who took a picture can share I'd be grateful since I spaced out and left my camera at home.

Thanks PJ, Thanks 10C, Thanks Bad Religion and Social D. A truely unforgettable run of shows.

http://forums.pearljam.com/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=116775

that you? nice!
    "Find myself singing the same songs every day....
    ones that make me feel good when things behind the smile ain't ok...." -Hoon
    shmap wrote:
    A guy in Section 105, Row 4, Seat 3 or 4 was the lucky recipient of the basketball.
    damn didn't think it went far. Cause it came to where I was sitting cause people were looking for it and all. Guess it bounced over to 105

• hinxhinx Posts: 414
    Blind3 wrote:

I'm glad I'm not the only one, haha. I got a little teary as I took one last look around the place from the floor. Also, when Ed brought up that man who'd worked there for so long and he gave that little speech, and the whole place erupted into "CHARLIE! CHARLIE!" chants for the guy I was choked up. Must have felt great for that man to hear that after all these years.
  • dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam NINUNINOPRO Posts: 139,141
    metsfan wrote:
    how the fuck are you supposed to rock out to slow songs or the fact that ed said if you wanna take a piss or whatnot do so for the next few songs. If you were at this show, you clearly are dumb as bricks and need your memory looked at. I hope to god you weren't at the show last night cause your post is the most dumbest and elitist I've seen. FUCK DA EUROPE CROWDS. Seriously I'm so fucking sick of them.. If you like europe crowds so god damn much than fucking move there and if you do live there than STAY DA FUCK in europe you elitist prick..
    everybody has his opinion..its not a war of between fans from usa -europe..or south america..have u ever being in european show by the way?if yes, u can compare your self..but u know its really crazy for us european this...most of american fans bitching about the seats and we just fuckin in europe wanna to be in the concert!!!and we are so many hours in the line for take a better position in..i ve been in new york for msg 1,2 and i see the crowd was awesome..really..have fun and all singing ,standing..and was awesome.and the sound was amazing..the best i ever listen..exept the guy next to me...he left in even flow and came back with a hot dog and chips,,come on man..its a Rock Concert..im sure with no doubt about that..the more energy the crowd give the more energy the band put out..i met great people in usa in those days in new york and they love the band and love the shows..but the madness in europe is something else...
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”