don't play leash again

i am a targeti am a target Posts: 799
edited October 2009 in The Porch
i'm sorry. but this is a song that requires young angry men not rich middle aged. i heard it at the san diego show in 06 (i think that was it)..but the fire..the fire is just...gone.

THIS is what leash should sound like:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dCABp6Wk66I
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• doomponydoompony Wellington, NZ Posts: 4,497
    ya know they were likely rolling in $$$ when that particular video was filmed.
  • Gary CarterGary Carter Shea Stadium Posts: 13,940
    doompony wrote:
    probably even more back than they are now.
    Ron: I just don't feel like going out tonight
    Sammi: Wanna just break up?

• doomponydoompony Wellington, NZ Posts: 4,497
    edited October 2009
    and also... their songs are stories... i'm pretty sure eddie vedder has never been a girl (daughter, why go)...

so..

no.
    Post edited by doom_pony on
  • Do you really have nothing better to do than get on a bands website and bash them? Get a life
  • Stone Gossard looks a little like Kid Rock in this video.
  • Blasphemy.
  • what the fuck? This forum is really starting to suck...have a valid fucking argument before posting this shit...
  • metsfan wrote:
    doompony wrote:

Ummm, hardly. What are you talking about? Do you know any history of this band? They are very much more financially secure now then back then. I assure you.

As for not criticizing the band. Wow, if we can't criticize, then who can? Its our band.

To a certain extent do you guys want them to play Leash when Ed is 47 years old. How about when he is 52. Do you think it will become a bit of a parody when he sings it at 55. A song like Leash may have to be retired at some point, do you think? Or can they play that song in the next ten years?? I saw it at Boston Garden in 1994, then I saw it when they re-unveiled it at the Boston Garden in 2006. I'm a big fan of the song, but it is a "youth anthem" isn't it?
    1996: Hartford; 1998: Hartford, Mansfield I & II
    2000: Saratoga, Mansfield I & II; 2003: West Palm, Tampa, Mansfield I & II & III; 2004: Boston I & II; 2005: Montreal; 2006: Albany, Hartford, Boston I & II, East Rutherford; 2007: Lolla
    2008: Tampa, MSG I & II, Hartford, Mansfield I & II; 2009: Chicago I & II, Philly I, III & IV; 2010: Cleveland, Buffalo, Hartford, Boston & MSG II.
  • joewalshdc wrote:
    what the fuck? This forum is really starting to suck...have a valid fucking argument before posting this shit...

why is this a "valid fucking argument"? listen to the lyrics. what does a 44 year old (or however old Ed is) with a model wife and two kids who is financially secure have to rage about with Leash? you question my argument..have you even heard the fucking song?
  • Do you really have nothing better to do than get on a bands website and bash them? Get a life

how exactly am i "bashing" them? i just think this song should not be played anymore. i'm sorry but i just found the version very lacking in emotion. i apologize for criticizing the all mighty pearl jam..please..forgive me..
    edited October 2009
    metsfan wrote:
    doompony wrote:

Ummm, hardly. What are you talking about? Do you know any history of this band? They are very much more financially secure now then back then. I assure you.
    no i just became a fan yesterday.

i love holier than thou elitist assholes fans on here. least they provide laughter.

and how can you assure me mr. know it all. are you one of those board members that's a roadie or a family friend or a 10c worker.
    Post edited by Gary Carter on

Do you really have nothing better to do than get on a bands website and bash them? Get a life

how exactly am i "bashing" them? i just think this song should not be played anymore. i'm sorry but i just found the version very lacking in emotion. i apologize for criticizing the all mighty pearl jam..please..forgive me..

you aren't bashing them at all. the sheep of this board just can't handle the truth.

• dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam NINUNINOPRO Posts: 139,136
    doompony wrote:
    and also... their songs are stories... i'm pretty sure eddie vedder has never been a girl (daughter, why go)...

so..

no.
    couldnt say it better...
    NO :!: :!: :!:
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • kazmokazmo Posts: 99
    doompony wrote:

so..

no.

+1

And although they might not be 'young souls' anymore, alot of their fans are and they are the ones that provide the 'youthful' energy you say is lacking on stage, when the song is played live.

Hearing them play it at Manchester this year was amazing, and I for one am glad it hasn't been shelved.
  • redeyeredeye Posts: 620
    i think they still play it because it takes them back to that time and the feeling they had when they wrote the song,
    ed was wired with emotion in that song with those lyrics, and that feeling does not die out completely
    we all have that angst in us, and it feels good to revisit those feelings
    its like playing an old cd that took you through a special or tough time,
    im sure as a live band it feels the same to dust down some of those tracks, especially ones that really capture a feeling.....
  • so should the Who stop playing Baba O'Reilly and Neil Young should stop playing Old Man, etc?
  • Brisk.Brisk. Posts: 11,486
    Guess i wont see you at any shows then :)
  • but the fire..the fire is just...gone.

I think this is rue to alot of the songs they play live. Alot of the older songs have become fillers and seemes to be played because "that is how it's allways been" and that the audience wants it. Like Corduroy, I feel nothing when I listen to it on recent boots. But the studioversion is damn good.

I think the fire is gone from alot of the songs, and can be noted in how Eddie sings them and the speed of how they play them. Listened to Given To Fly from a 03-boot (could have been Brisbane) and it was like Eddie was somepace else just automatically letting the words out.

I liked LEASH in MIlan06, mainly because I love the song. And I don't think age has anything to do with it. But some songs should be retired or they should not take them for "granted" or whatever.
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • SmellymanSmellyman Asia Posts: 4,517
    still rocks pretty good
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8NiaxNDbjvg

dare i say...maybe better...?
  • Johnny AbruzzoJohnny Abruzzo Philly Posts: 10,315
    Criticizing the band is fine, but this post is just stupid. You could make an argument for all kinds of songs that they aren't appropriate to be played anymore.

Let's see...

Don't play Once because Ed's not really a serial killer.
    Don't play Why Go because the girl got out of the mental institution.
    Don't play Marker in the Sand because W isn't Prez anymore.

Whatever - as long as it sounds good, keep playing the oldies and the newbies!
    Spectrum 10/27/09; New Orleans JazzFest 5/1/10; Made in America 9/2/12; WF Center 10/21/13;
    WF Center 10/22/13; Baltimore Arena 10/27/13; WF Center 4/28/16; WF Center 4/29/16;
    Fenway Park 8/7/16; Fenway Park 9/2/18; SeaHearNow Asbury Park 9/18/21; Camden 9/14/22

Tres Mtns - TLA 3/23/11; EV - Tower Theatre 6/25/11; Temple of the Dog - Tower Theatre 11/5/16
  • slightofjeffslightofjeff Posts: 7,740
    To a certain extent do you guys want them to play Leash when Ed is 47 years old. How about when he is 52. Do you think it will become a bit of a parody when he sings it at 55. A song like Leash may have to be retired at some point, do you think? Or can they play that song in the next ten years?? I saw it at Boston Garden in 1994, then I saw it when they re-unveiled it at the Boston Garden in 2006. I'm a big fan of the song, but it is a "youth anthem" isn't it?

At what point are we supposed to stop raging against oppression, and authority that oversteps its bounds, and the government? Because that's what the song is about.

I guess when you turn 40, you're just supposed to bend over and take it, eh?

Leash fits in thematically with World Wide Suicide. Should we retire that song, too?
    everybody wants the most they can possibly get
    for the least they could possibly do
  • I guess when you turn 40, you're just supposed to bend over and take it, eh?
    Didn't PJ. I mean the target-deal, rock band etc? ;)
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • SmellymanSmellyman Asia Posts: 4,517
    Didn't PJ. I mean the target-deal, rock band etc? ;)

if you mean ditching the fat cat soul sucking record companies, striking out on their own and then getting a deal to get into target and independent record stores, then no they didn't bend over.
  • so should the Who stop playing Baba O'Reilly and Neil Young should stop playing Old Man, etc?

No. But when Roger Daltry sings My Generation, its kinda weird, isn't it? "Hope I die before i get old?" . . . it affected Ed to the point where he did change the lyric, in 06, at least, to "delight in the truth" instead of "in our youth".

But all in all someone here said it was about societal rage and what not. I agree. Even though its a youth anthem, its also an anthem about angst, personal and societal . . . so after much thought, INDEED, play Leash forever and ever.
    2000: Saratoga, Mansfield I & II; 2003: West Palm, Tampa, Mansfield I & II & III; 2004: Boston I & II; 2005: Montreal; 2006: Albany, Hartford, Boston I & II, East Rutherford; 2007: Lolla
    2008: Tampa, MSG I & II, Hartford, Mansfield I & II; 2009: Chicago I & II, Philly I, III & IV; 2010: Cleveland, Buffalo, Hartford, Boston & MSG II.
  • To a certain extent do you guys want them to play Leash when Ed is 47 years old. How about when he is 52. Do you think it will become a bit of a parody when he sings it at 55. A song like Leash may have to be retired at some point, do you think? Or can they play that song in the next ten years?? I saw it at Boston Garden in 1994, then I saw it when they re-unveiled it at the Boston Garden in 2006. I'm a big fan of the song, but it is a "youth anthem" isn't it?

At what point are we supposed to stop raging against oppression, and authority that oversteps its bounds, and the government? Because that's what the song is about.

Leash fits in thematically with World Wide Suicide. Should we retire that song, too?

Yes, well put. see my earlier post . . .
  • On a related note - I've never heard Leash in person, only on boots, and the last one I remember hearing it on was one of the Gorge shows from a few years back where Ed substituted the word "lucky" for the F word throughout, I think? Is he still doing that when they play it now?

I love that song, always have. I'd love to hear it just once when I saw them! I do relate the song to early PJ, or younger PJ, but that doesn't mean I think there's anything wrong with them playing it from time to time. I think it's good that they bust it out every now and then.
  • BenzorBenzor Posts: 886
    this thread is fucking unbelievable
  • RicsardRicsard Posts: 1,942
    I really don't care if they play it next year in Hungary - my country is infamous for lack of English/any foreign language skills, so noone would really give a damn about it;)
    budapest.arnhem.antwerpen.vienna.madrid.katowice.nova_rock.nijmegen.rotterdam.berlin.dublin.belfast.london.venice.prague.stockholm.copenhagen.vienna.leeds.milton_keynes.padova.
    prague.seattle1.seattle2.chicago1
  • HinnHinn Posts: 1,517
    Ricsard wrote:
    I really don't care if they play it next year in Hungary - my country is infamous for lack of English/any foreign language skills, so noone would really give a damn about it;)
    I'd love to see Ed have his mandatory crack at speaking the local language in Hungary. And in the Basque country. Love him for trying, god knows I never have any idea what any of this is about, but it sure is amusing to watch.
    115 bucks for half a haircut by a novice? I want my money back!
  • slightofjeffslightofjeff Posts: 7,740
    so should the Who stop playing Baba O'Reilly and Neil Young should stop playing Old Man, etc?

No. But when Roger Daltry sings My Generation, its kinda weird, isn't it? "Hope I die before i get old?" . . . it affected Ed to the point where he did change the lyric, in 06, at least, to "delight in the truth" instead of "in our youth".

Yet Ed still sings the "we are young" part ... I think he changed "youth" to "truth," not because he is too old to sing it the original way, but because the people he was singing it to and about -- the Bush Administration -- were all a bunch of lying liars who lie.

Frankly, I wish they'd stop playing Leash because I've seen it at four of my past six shows. There's really no other good reason.
    everybody wants the most they can possibly get
    for the least they could possibly do