Options

Bono loves The Fixer

scorp65scorp65 Posts: 30
edited October 2009 in The Porch
Bono quote In the new Rolling Stone w/ U2 on the cover:

“In this age of celebrity and pop stardom, maybe it’s a sensible thing to question the values of being a pop star. Radiohead, Pearl Jam, a lot of people, who maybe had more sense than us, rejected it. But the thing that’s suffered from that stance was that precious, pure thing, what they used to call the 45. That new Pearl Jam song (The Fixer) - it's brilliant. It's got that attitude, like, 'We want it.'"
1995 - Sacramento; San Francisco; San Jose. 1996 - Seattle. 1997 - Oakland. 1998 - San Diego; Sacramento. 1999 - Bridge School Benefit. 2000 - Sacramento; San Francisco. 2001 - Bridge School Benefit. 2002 - Seattle. 2003 - San Francisco; Las Vegas; Bridge School Benefit. 2004 - Bridge School Benefit. 2005 - The Gorge. 2006 - San Diego; San Francisco; Portland; Bridge School Benefit. 2009 - Portland. 2013 - Los Angeles; Oakland.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    slightofjeffslightofjeff Posts: 7,757
    Dammit. Now I have to dislike that song.

;)
    everybody wants the most they can possibly get
    for the least they could possibly do
  • Options
    LikeAnOceanLikeAnOcean Posts: 7,718
    In '06 he also said Marker in the Sand was the best song of the year.
  • Options
    DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,412

From PJ, yes.
  • Options
    GeoffGeoff Posts: 44
    DewieCox wrote:

From PJ, yes.
    nobody listened to me when i said that!
    but my band isn't as big as U2 so i will let it slide.
  • Options
    bozo is write the fixer is a f'n awesome little number

i am still digging it big
  • Options

and he was right!
  • Options
    NastasjaNastasja Posts: 9,668
    I like that he admits that Pearl Jam and Radiohead had more sense than U2. He at least sees that.....
    You can spend your time alone, re-digesting past regrets,
    Or you can come to terms and realize
    You're the only one who can't forgive yourself
  • Options
    ZodZod Posts: 10,159
    Bono's also in love with himself :)

I remember he used to go around asking better off countries to contrubte a few percent of their gdp to help out the worlds poor. Its a noble enough cause at its root.

But what got me, is for my Canadian government to do that.. they either have to borrow the money or raise taxes. Meaning the middle class would probably end up paying for it.

Bono doesn't live like the middle class, so the fact he's asking the middle class to pay for always irked me. If he was willing to live off the median salary of Canadian which I think is just under 50k/year.. I'd be all for it :)

I don't think he ever really understood where the money from, and that he's basically asking people less of them himself to foot the bill. So he talks the talk, but doesn't really lead by example.

at least his taste in music seems decent enough.
  • Options
    Zod wrote:

I remember he used to go around asking better off countries to contrubte a few percent of their gdp to help out the worlds poor. Its a noble enough cause at its root.

But what got me, is for my Canadian government to do that.. they either have to borrow the money or raise taxes. Meaning the middle class would probably end up paying for it.

Bono doesn't live like the middle class, so the fact he's asking the middle class to pay for always irked me. If he was willing to live off the median salary of Canadian which I think is just under 50k/year.. I'd be all for it :)

I don't think he ever really understood where the money from, and that he's basically asking people less of them himself to foot the bill. So he talks the talk, but doesn't really lead by example.

Bono's a complicated figure, but lets not forget, a certain band we all love also does the same thing, Ed and the guys are rich beyond our wildest dreams, yet they do the same thing as Bono. The most righteous individuals, and these are my personal heroes people, are all just like Bono. Bruce, Bob Dylan, All of Rage Against the machine, and on and on.

That said, I do admit, Bono and U2 are guilty of rock star excess. Their shows are obviously extremely extravagent. And I am always reminded of an article from the 80's that talked about Bono and the guys, on a private jet, sipping champagne, discussing the pro's and cons of Castro. Thats the complicatedness of the band and of Bono.
  • Options
    scorp65 wrote:

“In this age of celebrity and pop stardom, maybe it’s a sensible thing to question the values of being a pop star. Radiohead, Pearl Jam, a lot of people, who maybe had more sense than us, rejected it. But the thing that’s suffered from that stance was that precious, pure thing, what they used to call the 45. That new Pearl Jam song (The Fixer) - it's brilliant. It's got that attitude, like, 'We want it.'"

this could be good, and it could be bad. Many people steer clear of ANYTHING that Bono endorses. But I'm sure there's scores more that eat up whatever he tells them to put on their spoon.

He and Edge also just gave Eagles of Death Metal a ringing endorsement in an interview. The EoDM posted that interview on their website, with the title "Thanks Bono!". Quite funny.
    Gimli 1993
    Fargo 2003
    Winnipeg 2005
    Winnipeg 2011
    St. Paul 2014
  • Options
    Zod wrote:

Bono's a complicated figure, but lets not forget, a certain band we all love also does the same thing, Ed and the guys are rich beyond our wildest dreams, yet they do the same thing as Bono. The most righteous individuals, and these are my personal heroes people, are all just like Bono. Bruce, Bob Dylan, All of Rage Against the machine, and on and on.

That said, I do admit, Bono and U2 are guilty of rock star excess. Their shows are obviously extremely extravagent. And I am always reminded of an article from the 80's that talked about Bono and the guys, on a private jet, sipping champagne, discussing the pro's and cons of Castro. Thats the complicatedness of the band and of Bono.

what I think we are losing sight of here is not how much money these guys make, but how much awareness their celebrity can bring to worthy causes. it doesn't make a whole lot of sense, in my view, to cast these people as hypocrites (my word, I realize, not anyone else's) because they don't lay down all their money for the causes they support. That's not the point of what they are trying to do. Bill Gates himself could probably end world hunger, but if he does that, it won't fix the problem. The idea is to get humanity to band together for such things so similar issues can be dealt with in similar fashion-TOGETHER. Not to depend on the super wealthy to fix everything.

Anyway, I just realized that this has nothing to do with the OP. Sorry about that. ;)
    Gimli 1993
    Fargo 2003
    Winnipeg 2005
    Winnipeg 2011
    St. Paul 2014
  • Options
    I don't know. Is using one's position of power, whether it be through music, politics, religion or whatever, to persuade others to help your fellow man really such a bad thing? If there are people out there who have full access to the platform of the general masses then why not take advantage of that? I'll admit, Bono's a little full on himself, but then, he readily admits that as well. He's confident to be sure. But for all the humanitarian causes that Bono, or any other celeb asks people to support, I think it would be a fair assumption to say that the time and energy they put into putting the word out there and doing the research, is equal to, if not greater than what they are asking people to give, not to mention their own monetary support. But. This is just my bleeding heart opinion ;) take it for what it's worth. And for the record, I haven't bought a U2 album since Achtung Baby but I do donate to the ONE campaign...
    "I knew all the rules but the rules did not know me. Guaranteed."
    KC, MO 7.3.98
    OKC 4.3.03
    KC, MO 5/2010
    EV- Memphis 6.20.09
    EV- Tulsa 11.18.12
  • Options
    and now, back to our regularly scheduled programing...

I'm glad Bono likes the Fixer. Maybe it will inspire him!!
    "I knew all the rules but the rules did not know me. Guaranteed."
    KC, MO 7.3.98
    OKC 4.3.03
    KC, MO 5/2010
    EV- Memphis 6.20.09
    EV- Tulsa 11.18.12
  • Options
    Zod wrote:

what I think we are losing sight of here is not how much money these guys make, but how much awareness their celebrity can bring to worthy causes. it doesn't make a whole lot of sense, in my view, to cast these people as hypocrites (my word, I realize, not anyone else's) because they don't lay down all their money for the causes they support. That's not the point of what they are trying to do. Bill Gates himself could probably end world hunger, but if he does that, it won't fix the problem. The idea is to get humanity to band together for such things so similar issues can be dealt with in similar fashion-TOGETHER. Not to depend on the super wealthy to fix everything.

Anyway, I just realized that this has nothing to do with the OP. Sorry about that. ;)

My point is the OP is guilty of extreme hypocrisy, by not talking about PJ's wealth and their activism. If you are gonna talk about Bono's excesses, thats fine, but dont act like he is the only rock star who is rich who spouts off on political and social causes.

Dont get me wrong, I think its great ed and bono and all those guys use their fame to bring awareness to causes. But I think people are ignoring the hypocrisy of it all.
  • Options
    I started a new thread so we can discuss this further.

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=113411&start=0
    Gimli 1993
    Fargo 2003
    Winnipeg 2005
    Winnipeg 2011
    St. Paul 2014
  • Options
    aNiMaLaNiMaL Posts: 7,118
    Say what you will, but The Joshua Tree is one of the greatest albums ever written. I have always been a fan of U2 and always like hearing what their new music is like.

I also really appreciate U2's (and Bono's) appreciation of Pearl Jam. This is not the first time that Bono has admitted that maybe Pearl Jam had the right idea to pull away from mass stardom. Each band took their own path, and each band has the respect and friendship of the other.

I remember reading about a tour a few years ago when PJ and U2 were together, and how after a show, both bands (probably minus Mike) got smashed together on some good vodka that U2 had supplied. How cool would it have been to be a fly on the wall during that drunken party?
  • Options
    aNiMaL wrote:
    Say what you will, but The Joshua Tree is one of the greatest albums ever written. I have always been a fan of U2 and always like hearing what their new music is like.

I also really appreciate U2's (and Bono's) appreciation of Pearl Jam. This is not the first time that Bono has admitted that maybe Pearl Jam had the right idea to pull away from mass stardom. Each band took their own path, and each band has the respect and friendship of the other.

I remember reading about a tour a few years ago when PJ and U2 were together, and how after a show, both bands (probably minus Mike) got smashed together on some good vodka that U2 had supplied. How cool would it have been to be a fly on the wall during that drunken party?

why probably minus mike?
    Gimli 1993
    Fargo 2003
    Winnipeg 2005
    Winnipeg 2011
    St. Paul 2014
  • Options
    aNiMaL wrote:

why probably minus mike?
    Mike's been sober for a long time.
  • Options
    didn't know that.
    Gimli 1993
    Fargo 2003
    Winnipeg 2005
    Winnipeg 2011
    St. Paul 2014
  • Options
    100 Pacer100 Pacer Toronto, ON Posts: 8,517
    aNiMaL wrote:

that would be the '05 Toronto after-party,...
    To quote the 10C from Newsletter #8: "Please understand we have a lot of members and it is very hard to please everybody. If you are one of those unhappy people...please call 1-900-IDN-TCAR."

"Me knowing the truth, I can not concur."

1996: Toronto - 1998: Chicago, Montreal, Barrie - 2000: Montreal, Toronto - 2002: Seattle X2 (Key Arena) - 2003: Cleveland, Buffalo, Toronto, Montreal, Seattle (Benaroya Hall) - 2004: Reading, Toledo, Grand Rapids - 2005: Kitchener, London, Hamilton, Montreal, Ottawa, Toronto, Quebec City - 2006: Toronto X2, Albany, Hartford, Grand Rapids, Cleveland - 2007: Chicago (Vic Theatre) - 2008: NYC X2, Hartford, Mansfield X2 - 2009: Toronto, Chicago X2, Seattle X2, Philadelphia X4 - 2010: Columbus, Noblesville, Cleveland, Buffalo, Hartford - 2011: Montreal, Toronto X2, Ottawa, Hamilton - 2012: Missoula - 2013: London, Chicago, Buffalo, Hartford - 2014: Detroit, Moline - 2015: NYC (Global Citizen Festival) - 2016: Greenville, Toronto X2, Chicago 1 - 2017: Brooklyn (RRHOF Induction) - 2018: Chicago 1, Boston 1 - 2022: Fresno, Ottawa, Hamilton, Toronto, NYC, Camden - 2023: St. Paul X2, Austin X2 - 2024: Vancouver X2, Portland, Sacramento, Noblesville, Philadelphia X2, Baltimore
  • Options
    100 Pacer wrote:
    aNiMaL wrote:

that would be the '05 Toronto after-party,...
    Cool, thank you!! :)
  • Options
    LikeAnOceanLikeAnOcean Posts: 7,718
    aNiMaL wrote:

I think War is better than Joshua Tree, but to each their own. 8-)
  • Options
    dustinparduedustinpardue Las Vegas, NV Posts: 1,829

and he made a very good point
    "All I Ever Knew" available now in print and digital formats at Amazon, Barnes & Noble, and iBooks.
  • Options
    scorp65 wrote:

Heh, you said Boner...
  • Options
    FUCK bono
    "No way to save someone who won't take the rope,and just lets go..."
  • Options
    To be honest, none of us know what percentage of their earnings any of the parties mentioned donate to charity. Honestly, only their accountants know. It doesn't matter how extravagant a U2 show is, Bono, the Edge, Larry, and Adam aren't paying for it. That's the label. Might be the band's idea, but its the label's dime. I honestly don't care, I agree with what both Ed and Bono are saying for the most part, and they are getting a large audience to hear it, which is a good thing. A hypocrite is defined as someone who you should do as they say and not as they do, so it fits, if that is your opinion of these guys, but it still seems to be a good thing in both PJ and U2's cases, whether or not you or I call them hypocrites (I personally do not). If they can get a large audience to think about a certain issue, why criticize? Debate is absolutely essential to democracy, folks. If we don't debate, we end up with ummm... George W. Bush. And we all know how that has worked out. All I'm saying (and I think Ed and Bono for the most part), is think for yourself, educate yourself about the issues, and VOTE based on your educated opinion.
  • Options
    ManUnitedManUnited Jersey Shore Posts: 160
    Jessie78 wrote:
    and now, back to our regularly scheduled programing...

I'm glad Bono likes the Fixer. Maybe it will inspire him!!
    I hope you are right.
    Every album and tour (last few) I give them a chance and I walk away disappointed. However, I still think the charity work they do is important and applaud them for it.
    "Whoever, when he dies, leaves on paper a beautiful line of poetry has left the heavens richer and the earth too.”
    F. PESSOA
  • Options
    NotMozart wrote:
    It doesn't matter how extravagant a U2 show is, Bono, the Edge, Larry, and Adam aren't paying for it. That's the label. Might be the band's idea, but its the label's dime.

are you sure about that? I'm reading a U2 book (At The End of the World or something like that) and the band specifically state in interviews how the Popmart tour almost bankrupt them. It cost THEM millions of dollars to put on. They made it sound like it was their own money, not anyone else's. But hey, I could be wrong.
    Gimli 1993
    Fargo 2003
    Winnipeg 2005
    Winnipeg 2011
    St. Paul 2014
  • Options
    slightofjeffslightofjeff Posts: 7,757
    NotMozart wrote:
    It doesn't matter how extravagant a U2 show is, Bono, the Edge, Larry, and Adam aren't paying for it. That's the label. Might be the band's idea, but its the label's dime.

are you sure about that? I'm reading a U2 book (At The End of the World or something like that) and the band specifically state in interviews how the Popmart tour almost bankrupt them. It cost THEM millions of dollars to put on. They made it sound like it was their own money, not anyone else's. But hey, I could be wrong.

Right. I don't think the label funds your tour. If they do, it's only a loan ... they take their cut of the proceeds until it's paid off.
    everybody wants the most they can possibly get
    for the least they could possibly do
  • Options
    petrocspetrocs Posts: 4,342
    Bono hate is just cause the people who hate him dont want to look themselves in the mirror or face the fact that they dont try and make this world a better place on a day to day basis like he does..FACT

He makes us think about how we are living and how we CAN help those who need our assistance yet we sit in our homes and eat our McDonalds and watch CNN and say "what a shame" Man this guy takes so much backlash for absolutely no reason. Ed does exactly the same thing for the things he stands for..so does Bruce..and Bob Dylan..and Chris Martin..and whomever else has something to speak out about. Anyone who says "Bono sucks" or "shut up Boner" or whatever has exactly ZERO idea of who that man really is or how hard he works to help the worlds poor.

God...it seriously annoys me...its one thing to not be a fan of U2...its a totally and completely different thing to mock him or dispise him for doing good...oh and BTW...to the guy who said "Bono doesnt live like a middle class man" well no..he doesnt nor should he..but what you forget to mention is the tens of MILLIONS him and U2 have donated..lets see how many rock acts can say THAT
    Shows:
    9/24/96 MD. 9/28/96 Randalls. 8/28-29/98 Camden. 9/8/98 NJ. 9/18/98 MD. 9/1-2/00 Camden. 9/4/00 MD. 4/28/03 Philly. 7/5-6/03 Camden. 9/30/05 AC.
    10/3/05 Philly. 5/27-28/06 Camden. 6/23/06 Pitt. 6/19-20/08 Camden. 6/24/08 MSG. 8/7/08 EV Newark, NJ. 6/11-12/09 EV Philly, PA. 10/27-28-30-31/09 Philly, PA., 5/15/10 Hartford,5/17/10 Boston, 5/18/10 Newark, 5/20-21/10 MSG