Options

Eddie's thoughts on Seattle Crowds

Comments

• Options
    jimed14jimed14 Posts: 9,488
    zootown wrote:
    I agree with jimed14. Eddie calling out ANY crowd is lame. Show some humility...every fan paid good money to be there, and then to be lumped together and criticized I think is a cheap and easy way to fire up a crowd. WE the fans are the consumers, and you Eddie are the entertainer/artist- our money paid for your life and lifestyle.....

While I don't mind a little poking fun at one crowd over another, here lies an interesting point.

I went to both Berkeley shows on Ed's solo tour ... night one, the crowd was pretty subdued, not a lot of zest for what they were watching. Sure, some of it can be blamed on it being a sit sown solo acoustic show, but, the crowd didn't seem like they were really into it overall. (example, when Ed asked everyone to join in on "No More" only 2 folks up front stood and sang)

The next night, Ed came out ... discussed how he felt the crowd the night before was a little weak, and then, blamed himself, and stated as an entertainer, it was his job to get the crowd in the right mood. Thus, why he fired into Masters of War very early in the set and the crowd was his the rest of the night.

THAT'S how you motivate a crowd!
    "You're one of the few Red Sox fans I don't mind." - Newch91

"I don't believe in damn curses. Wake up the damn Bambino and have me face him. Maybe I'll drill him in the ass." --- Pedro Martinez
  • Options
    maybe if they played Seattle more than once every seven years people would know how to act.
  • Options
    jimed14 wrote:
    The next night, Ed came out ... discussed how he felt the crowd the night before was a little weak, and then, blamed himself, and stated as an entertainer, it was his job to get the crowd in the right mood. Thus, why he fired into Masters of War very early in the set and the crowd was his the rest of the night.

indeed!

and sure, yes...i know by now it's all in good fun, meant to stir up the crowd, etc....but it just isn't the best motivator imo as many have already said. i've jokingly said to concert companions in the past, wonder what he'll say about us all tomorrow night? ;) then again, i am just not one for stirring rivalries, or trying to make one feel 'better' by cutting down someone else, humor or not. and sure...sometimes crowds are just shit, but still....you don't have to say it the next day. :D
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

I am myself like you somehow

• Options
    zootownzootown Posts: 666
    jimed14 wrote:
    zootown wrote:
    I agree with jimed14. Eddie calling out ANY crowd is lame. Show some humility...every fan paid good money to be there, and then to be lumped together and criticized I think is a cheap and easy way to fire up a crowd. WE the fans are the consumers, and you Eddie are the entertainer/artist- our money paid for your life and lifestyle.....

While I don't mind a little poking fun at one crowd over another, here lies an interesting point.

I went to both Berkeley shows on Ed's solo tour ... night one, the crowd was pretty subdued, not a lot of zest for what they were watching. Sure, some of it can be blamed on it being a sit sown solo acoustic show, but, the crowd didn't seem like they were really into it overall. (example, when Ed asked everyone to join in on "No More" only 2 folks up front stood and sang)

Exactly----the crowd should feel no pressure ideally....I felt myself feeling anxiety at one point during Monday's show in Seattle- because the crowd did seem kinda subdued. But then I realized that the setlist was full of new songs, and alot of folks may have not even heard some of them before. I saw Langhorne Slim (a great folk singer songwriter) here in Missoula a bout a year ago- He is very popular on the East Coast, but not so much out here in Montana- he played in Missoula and maybe 50 people showed. It was clear that Langhorne was gonna convert every single person there into a fan, and man he did. By the end of his set at 2:30 (bar closed at 2!), every person in there was fucking converted! The artist needs to "win the crowd over", not the other way around. This is one of the reasons I lost interest in seeing the Dead when Jerry was alive. Fans would cheer if Jerry farted on stage--doesn't Eddie know he can fire up the crowd in many more ways (like playing certain songs, or how about this, playing AS HARD AS THEY CAN EVERY NIGHT!) that do not involve dissing anyone (except Kanye West of course :lol: )
    I hold the pain, release me!
  • Options
    Lamme shittalking the bands hometown
    The night 2 crowd was pretty good tho.
    Shows:
    Seattle Key Arena 9-21-2009
    Seattle Key Arena 9-22-2009
  • Options

Maybe if you had brought your ass to the pre-party everyone would have been a bit more jazzed!! LOL!!
    Kidding, of course, but a lot of folks were asking where you were. Hope you had a great time at the shows. How did your Dad like the show by the way?
  • Options
    soulsingingsoulsinging Posts: 13,208
    jimed14 wrote:
    (example, when Ed asked everyone to join in on "No More" only 2 folks up front stood and sang)

The problem here probably has nothing to do with Ed or the crowd and everything to do with the fact that that song sucks horribly.
  • Options
    bicyclejoe wrote:
    It's Eddie playing the crowd. He dissed the Vancouver crowd at the Portland show and he'll probably bad-mouth Portlanders in SLC tonight. Too bad he has to play that way in the Internet age.

Before "Present Tense," he told the Portland crowd that "you probably want to sing louder than those Canadian fuckers yesterday."

Here's the video:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_qgR94vkLHI

Also, I was at that Seattle shows. The energy was intense. Too bad he could only see the people in the first 10 rows, most of whom are the same faces he sees at every Seattle show.

Seems more like a compliment to the Vancouver crowd then anything.

Seems like some people cannot stand the fact that Ed ripped the crowd at a show they were at. I was at that Edmonton show he ripped and I could care less (well maybe because I agreed with him).

In all honesty the only time I hear him actually call out a crowd I have read less than rave review about that show. People in Vancouver were very critical of the Seattle crowds and hoped for more energy in Vancouver and they got it and more.

But all in all who cares man some people need to grow up and take a shot (even if it is a shot to say or just game playing).
  • Options
    jimed14jimed14 Posts: 9,488
    jimed14 wrote:
    (example, when Ed asked everyone to join in on "No More" only 2 folks up front stood and sang)

The problem here probably has nothing to do with Ed or the crowd and everything to do with the fact that that song sucks horribly.

As a Pearl Jam song in the middle of 20k screaming people, I'll agree.

But in the Ed solo acoustic setting, it's a little different ... btw, on night 2 in Berkeley, everyone stood and sang with him, and he was visably moved by the crowd.
    "You're one of the few Red Sox fans I don't mind." - Newch91

"I don't believe in damn curses. Wake up the damn Bambino and have me face him. Maybe I'll drill him in the ass." --- Pedro Martinez
  • Options
    PJFAN_seattlePJFAN_seattle Posts: 2,965
    edited September 2009

Maybe if you had brought your ass to the pre-party everyone would have been a bit more jazzed!! LOL!!
    Kidding, of course, but a lot of folks were asking where you were. Hope you had a great time at the shows. How did your Dad like the show by the way?
    sorry i wanted to go was on my way to it from the key after getting my tickets but then i ran into my friends who didnt wanna go
    My dad loved it he hadnt been to a pj show since the 90s

Ill go to the next one forsure lol
    Post edited by PJFAN_seattle on
    Shows:
    Seattle Key Arena 9-21-2009
    Seattle Key Arena 9-22-2009
  • Options
    I attended both Seattle shows and they were just fine. In fact, Night 2 was awesome.

Ed is just pandering to the crowd and that's OK. No one is genuinely scoring the crowds on their enthusiasm. It's all fan-fueled BS. He loves his audience everywhere he goes. You should all know that.

After all, Ed's wife and kids attended the Seattle shows so, technically, they were part of the "shit" crowd.
    Are you a screenwriter?
    www.screenplaymechanic.com
  • Options
    soulsingingsoulsinging Posts: 13,208
    jimed14 wrote:
    jimed14 wrote:

But in the Ed solo acoustic setting, it's a little different ... btw, on night 2 in Berkeley, everyone stood and sang with him, and he was visably moved by the crowd.

Well yeah, all the burned out Berkeley hippies probably think the song had some of the deepest lyrics they ever heard ;)
  • Options
    zootownzootown Posts: 666
    jimed14 wrote:
    jimed14 wrote:

This brings up another point, that I am anticipating getting flamed for....why do some people clap hysterically and scream, regardless of what song gets played or how well it gets played. I did not cheer after Got Some, because I DONT LIKE THIS SONG....also, when they butchered Grievance at a show, I was pissed, then they didn't even attempt it again, going into another song. I actually booed at this point. I thought this girl next to me was gonna hit me because, yes, I actually disapproved of something. Eddie and PJ dont walk on water so why do some people treat them this way? :roll:
    I hold the pain, release me!
  • Options
    DeLukinDeLukin Posts: 2,733
    The only thing worse than Ed bashing the crowd the night after a show you attended is him bashing the CITY you're in the night OF the show. Pittsburgh '06, when he said "Don't hate us, but Pittsburgh is not our favorite place on the planet..." was classic. I love Pittsburgh, but that was funny.
    I smile, but who am I kidding...
  • Options
    bicyclejoebicyclejoe USA Posts: 1,107
    bicyclejoe wrote:
    It's Eddie playing the crowd. He dissed the Vancouver crowd at the Portland show and he'll probably bad-mouth Portlanders in SLC tonight. Too bad he has to play that way in the Internet age.

Before "Present Tense," he told the Portland crowd that "you probably want to sing louder than those Canadian fuckers yesterday."

Here's the video:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_qgR94vkLHI

Also, I was at that Seattle shows. The energy was intense. Too bad he could only see the people in the first 10 rows, most of whom are the same faces he sees at every Seattle show.

Seems more like a compliment to the Vancouver crowd then anything.

Seems like some people cannot stand the fact that Ed ripped the crowd at a show they were at. I was at that Edmonton show he ripped and I could care less (well maybe because I agreed with him).

In all honesty the only time I hear him actually call out a crowd I have read less than rave review about that show. People in Vancouver were very critical of the Seattle crowds and hoped for more energy in Vancouver and they got it and more.

But all in all who cares man some people need to grow up and take a shot (even if it is a shot to say or just game playing).

Assuming you mean "couldn't care less."
    My Pearl Jam Road: 10/22/90 Seattle | 12/22/90 Seattle, Moore Theater | 9/29/92 Seattle, Magnusson Park, Drop in the Park | 9/5/93 The Gorge, with Neil Young and Blind Melon | 7/20/06 Portland, Arlene Schnitzer Concert Hall with Sleater-Kinney | 7/22/06 The Gorge, 10/21/06 Mountain View, Shoreline Ampitheatre, Bridge School Benefit | 9/21/09 Seattle | 9/22/09 Seattle | 9/26/09 Portland, OR | 7/14/2011 Eddie Vedder, Portland, OR | 11/29/13 Portland, OR
  • Options
    Ms. HaikuMs. Haiku Washington DC Posts: 7,250
    I wonder if he would get out the stadium unscathed if he pulled a stunt like that in Italy. ;) But, then again, I guess he wouldn't have to, eh?

I have seen 6 Seattle shows, and overall they are more sedate, but there are definitely people who enjoy themselves. I did.
    There is no such thing as leftover pizza. There is now pizza and later pizza. - anonymous
    The risk I took was calculated, but man, am I bad at math - The Mincing Mockingbird
  • Options
    ooooooooooooohhhhh! right in the feelings! pearl jam is a rock n roll band not a boy band. they kick ass not seduce your ass! they are here to express themselves not to impress yourself. if eddie says something offensive, well then, good job eddie! if eddie says something seductive, well then, shame on you eddie! not that this would ever happen, i mean, he's a married man. anyway, if the band is playing and you are listening, you are part of one of the coolest happenings on earth at that particular moment and time! anyone else need a tissue?
  • Options
    don't feel so bad Seattle.... ANY crowd is better then the one on the 'Fixer' video - lmao..... how sad is that group??? :lol::lol::lol:
    no thats a prime example of why you DON'T use tenclub crowds. much better than the dorky thirtysomethings with their arms folded waiting for In The Moonlight or some shit. :)

btw he shit talked Knoxville relentlessly during that show. nobody cared.
  • Options
    DeLukin wrote:
    The only thing worse than Ed bashing the crowd the night after a show you attended is him bashing the CITY you're in the night OF the show. Pittsburgh '06, when he said "Don't hate us, but Pittsburgh is not our favorite place on the planet..." was classic. I love Pittsburgh, but that was funny.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3gJQ-jX6DQM

I agree, I felt no insult at all.... and Pittsburgh is where I live. Also, the joint rant was hysterical!
    Pitt 98, Pitt 00, Cleveland 03, Pitt 03, State College 03, Toledo 04, Toronto 05, Pitt 05, Cleveland 06, Pitt 06 & Chicago 07, Chicago 1&2 09, Philly 2,3,4 09, Cleveland 10, Columbus 10, Alpine Valley 1& 2 11
  • Options
    Gary CarterGary Carter Shea Stadium Posts: 13,940
    don't feel so bad Seattle.... ANY crowd is better then the one on the 'Fixer' video - lmao..... how sad is that group??? :lol::lol::lol:
    that fixer crowd is made up of people with no jobs. so yea let's all laugh at people who are unemployed.
    Ron: I just don't feel like going out tonight
    Sammi: Wanna just break up?

• Options
    thebuilderthebuilder Rifle, CO Posts: 118
    well i'm from detroit and the crowd at the seattle show didn't compare to anything i've ever been to over in michigan.. you can say what you will about it being on a monday or tuesday night.. get real.. you're a pearl jam concert... i looked around numerous times and nobody was up and dancin.. very few people were "into it".. nothing personal just observations.. they still rocked my socks i didn't give a fuck if i was blockin the people behind me.. i was dancing and flailing.. its all good i had a great time.. =)

ain't no party like a detroit party 'cus a detroit party don't stop!
    Feel free 2 feel free
  • Options
    I've been to 14 shows now. Eddie almost always pokes at the previous nights crowd to rile up the current night. He did the same in Portland the next night (about Vancouver). I've seen him do it in the same town on the night 2 show. This is nothing new and nothing against Seattle.

Also, I think there's probably a reason they haven't played their hometown proper in forever before this year. This is probably as good an explanation as any.
    everybody wants the most they can possibly get
    for the least they could possibly do
  • Options
    This is nothing new. Remember the bootleg from Seattle 1 in the 2000 tour? It includes one of my favorite Ed taunts:

"Boise was better than you."

Now that's harsh.
    It is time to admit that we used to rock like hurricanes. It is time to run for the hills and go round and round. It is time for us to shout at the devil. We've got the right to choose it, there ain't no way we'll lose it, and we're not gonna take it anymore.
    - C. Klosterman
  • Options
    yield2meyield2me Posts: 1,291
    harsh...but from the videos i've seen of the seattle show, the crowd looked asleep so you can't really blame him for throwing a jab
    “May you live to be 100 and may the last voice you hear be mine.” - Frank Sinatra
  • Options
    SomethingCreativeSomethingCreative Kazoo, MI Posts: 3,346
    SolarWorld wrote:
    He talked shit about Vancouver in Portland (Ridgefield). Don't take it personal. Its just normal rock and roll show shit. I have heard that Vancouver venue gets loud as fuck though.

He didn't really "talk shit" he just said that Portland couldn't let the Canadians show 'em up
    "Well, I think this band is incapable of sucking."
    -my dad after hearing Not for You for the first time on SNL .
  • Options
    on several bootlegs i've listened to, he seems pretty harsh on seattle consistently. i remember on one of the Gorge bootlegs him saying something like "you guys are the best seattle crowd we've ever had, and you're not even a seattle crowd."

im probably butchering that, but that was the general idea.

seattle folks are probably just spoiled.
  • Options
    on several bootlegs i've listened to, he seems pretty harsh on seattle consistently. i remember on one of the Gorge bootlegs him saying something like "you guys are the best seattle crowd we've ever had, and you're not even a seattle crowd."

That doesn't really sound like a jab at Seattle crowds.
    everybody wants the most they can possibly get
    for the least they could possibly do
  • Options

That doesn't really sound like a jab at Seattle crowds.

well, i am probably not translating it well here. i kind of took it that way - like "we have to come all the way out here to get a decent Seattle crowd"

the videos i've seen from seattle, as some have said, the people look like they're attending a librarians convention.
  • Options
    SOLAT319SOLAT319 Posts: 4,564
    SOLAT7979? Oh come on! :twisted:
    I have no patience for bad music and stupid people...

The whole world will be different soon the whole world will be RELIEVED

#resistgezi #resistturkey #resisttaksim #direnturkiye #direngezi
    #standingman #duranadam
  • Options
    SOLAT7979 wrote:
    I've never been to an Arena where you can bring beer in.

thats bring beer into the actual arena part of the stadium, which is an improvement over...

key arena- riot act shows no alcohol sales at all inside the whole arena/stadium. dry shows

spac- roped off in a corner a 1/4 mile from the stage and you cant even take water to your seat and its an outdoor ampitheatre

just another reason to hate the man. imo

as far as ev's comments goes he prolly had a bottle of really really good wine and was talking shit like he always does ;)