Options

Backspacer 9 in UK Album Charts

ilockyerilockyer Posts: 2,236
edited September 2009 in The Porch
Madonna amongst others sold more copies than Backspacer here in the UK. Still, 9 is a respectable entry!
The secret to a happy ending is knowing when to roll the credits
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    ilockyer wrote:
    Madonna amongst others sold more copies than Backspacer here in the UK. Still, 9 is a respectable entry!

This is the first chart entry for Backspacer that is kind of disappointing.
    After Avocado startet at #5 in the UK, a #9 entry for Backspacer is not good.

But I think we'll see a couple of #1 entries in other countries.
    Australia was the first one, New Zealand, Canada, the US and maybe one or two others will follow.
  • Options
    bazzerbazzer Posts: 3,088
    mr.igby wrote:
    ilockyer wrote:

This is the first chart entry for Backspacer that is kind of disappointing.
    After Avocado startet at #5 in the UK, a #9 entry for Backspacer is not good.

But I think we'll see a couple of #1 entries in other countries.
    Australia was the first one, New Zealand, Canada, the US and maybe one or two others will follow.
    It debuted at #1 in Australia , and #2 in NZ (although NZ was for the previous short week). I hope it will move to #1 in NZ this week, otherwise it may have missed its chance, except for a possible boost around concert time.
  • Options
    ClaireackClaireack Posts: 13,561
    Damn you got here before me.

Still think 9 is pretty respectable. Don't know how much airplay the album has got as I don't listen to the radio that much.
  • Options
    bazzer wrote:
    I hope it will move to #1 in NZ this week, otherwise it may have missed its chance, except for a possible boost around concert time.

I'm pretty confident it will be #1 in NZ this week.
  • Options
    SpagsSpags Leigh-on-Sea, UK Posts: 2,928
    Well I did my part! Wasn't expecting a number 1 entry as nobody I know bought it, only heard The Fixer on the radio once and nothing else (except that Radio 1 bit from here).
    Nature drunk and High
  • Options
    IdlewildIdlewild London, England Posts: 173
    That's a little disappointing. However there were alot of big releases in the same week. Madonna, Mika and Dizzie Rascal, however getting beaten by Cliff Richard And The Shadows as well as Vera Lynn is a little bit humiliating.

However I read somewhere this week that it will sell approximately the same amount as Avocado did on 1st week of release in UK
    London Brixton Academy 1993, Wembley Arena (Both Nights) 1996, Wembley Arena 2000, London Astoria 2006, Reading Festival 2006, Verona Italy 2006, London Wembley Arena 2007, Copenhagen Denmark 2007,
    London Shepherds Bush Empire 2009, Manchester Evening News Arena 2009, London O2 Arena 2009
    Dublin, Belfast, Hyde Park 2010
    Manchester Arena 1 and 2, Stockholm, Oslo 2012
    Amsterdam 1 and 2, Leeds, Milton Keynes Bowl 2014
    Wrigley Field 1 and 2 2016
    London 1 and 2 2018
    Fenway Park 1 and 2 2018
  • Options
    Apparantly Pearl Jam sold nearly 26,000 copies in 1st week of release which is on a par with Avocado not bad going

Albums

77299 Madonna
    53214 Muse
    53106 Dizzee Rascal
    40308 Mika
    33885 Peter Andre
    31959 Cliff Richard & The Shadows
    30973 Vera Lynn
    28402 Jay-Z
    25804 Pearl Jam
    24544 Kings of Leon

http://www.ukmix.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=65466
    London Brixton Academy 1993, Wembley Arena (Both Nights) 1996, Wembley Arena 2000, London Astoria 2006, Reading Festival 2006, Verona Italy 2006, London Wembley Arena 2007, Copenhagen Denmark 2007,
    London Shepherds Bush Empire 2009, Manchester Evening News Arena 2009, London O2 Arena 2009
    London 1 and 2 2018
    Fenway Park 1 and 2 2018
  • Options
    Idlewild wrote:
    That's a little disappointing. However there were alot of big releases in the same week. Madonna, Mika and Dizzie Rascal, however getting beaten by Cliff Richard And The Shadows as well as Vera Lynn is a little bit humiliating.

However I read somewhere this week that it will sell approximately the same amount as Avocado did on 1st week of release in UK

Honestly guys and girls .... I wouldn't read anything into this. I used to be a manager of HMV over here in the UK (the only major record store left in England) and as a rule most of the albums we sold were horrible. Most of the album chart over consists of awful Compilations or "Best Ofs". At Christmas time it will be the usual rubbish like Robbie Williams and whoever has won the X Factor or American Idol. Just because Pearl Jam are at number nine is nothing to panic about. Before I left HMV, the store I worked used to sell tons of copies of the "BONKERS" compilations. Now if you want understand how bad the British Charts are then just check them out!! They"re mixed by people called "Sharky" and "Hicksy". Check this link out

http://hmv.com/hmvweb/simpleMultiSearch ... Search.y=0

Now you'll realise why PJ released the GO single over here with a free, tape copy of Animal live from the VMAs back in 1993 to get themselves excluded from the British Charts!!!
  • Options
    Jimmyjamh wrote:
    Idlewild wrote:

Honestly guys and girls .... I wouldn't read anything into this. I used to be a manager of HMV over here in the UK (the only major record store left in England) and as a rule most of the albums we sold were horrible. Most of the album chart over consists of awful Compilations or "Best Ofs". At Christmas time it will be the usual rubbish like Robbie Williams and whoever has won the X Factor or American Idol. Just because Pearl Jam are at number nine is nothing to panic about. Before I left HMV, the store I worked used to sell tons of copies of the "BONKERS" compilations. Now if you want understand how bad the British Charts are then just check them out!! They"re mixed by people called "Sharky" and "Hicksy". Check this link out

http://hmv.com/hmvweb/simpleMultiSearch ... Search.y=0

Now you'll realise why PJ released the GO single over here with a free, tape copy of Animal live from the VMAs back in 1993 to get themselves excluded from the British Charts!!!

Very Good Point made here. However It is disappointing, the album deserved to do much better, especially with the rubbish that is in the UK Top 10 Albums this week, but am sure the album will do much better in other countries.
    London 1 and 2 2018
    Fenway Park 1 and 2 2018
  • Options
    When we picked it up on it's day of release it was #19... at Sainsburys at least... Tescos didn't even acknowledge it's existence :roll:

Nice to see it in the Top 10 though! :D
    Been to this many PJ shows: Reading 2006 London 2007 Manchester & London 2009 Dublin, Belfast, London, Nijmegen & Berlin 2010 Manchester 1 & Manchester 2 2012...

... and I still think Drive-By Truckers are better.
  • Options
    EraserheadEraserhead Stoke-on-Trent Posts: 2,842
    Isn't Mika an endangered killer whale? And who the hell buys a Peter Andre album? :lol:
    Manchester 04.06.00, Leeds 25.08.06, Wembley 18.06.07, Dusseldorf 21.06.07, Shepherds Bush 11.08.09, Manchester 17.08.09, Adelaide 17.11.09, Melbourne 20.11.09, Sydney 22.11.09, Brisbane 25.11.09, MSG1 20.05.10, MSG2 21.05.10, Dublin 22.06.10, Belfast 23.06.10, London 25.06.10, Long Beach 06.07.11 (EV), Los Angeles 08.07.11 (EV), Toronto 11.09.11, Toronto 12.09.11, Ottawa 14.09.11, Hamilton 14.09.11, Manchester 20.06.12, Manchester 21.06.12, Amsterdam 26.06.2012, Amsterdam 27.06.2012, Berlin 04.07.12, Berlin 05.07.12, Stockholm 07.07.12, Oslo 09.07.12, Copenhagen 10.07.12, Manchester 28.07.12 (EV), Brooklyn 18.10.13, Brooklyn 19.10.13, Philly 21.10.13, Philly 22.10.13, San Diego 21.11.13, LA 23.11.13, LA 24.11.13, Oakland 26.11.13, Portland 29.11.13, Spokane 30.11.13, Calgary 02.12.13, Vancouver 04.12.13, Seattle 06.12.13, Trieste 22.06.14, Vienna 25.06.14, Berlin 26.06.14, Stockholm 28.06.14, Leeds 08.07.14, Philly 28.04.16, Philly 28.04.16, MSG1 01.05.16, MSG2 02.05.16
  • Options
    BALLBOYBALLBOY Australia Posts: 996
    The so called charts is joke. Selling records from shops has nearly become irrelevant with the internet becoming so dominant. Peter Andre should be tried in The Hague for crimes against music, it has nothing to do with music. People such as him hijack such a beautiful thing such as music & use to con sad people who have no interest in it but are obsessed with image & celebrity. The UK is worst place for this & not just in music.
    Eastern Creek 95,Syd 1 98,Bris 2 98, Syd 1&2 03, Reading Fest 06, Bris 1 06, London 09, Hyde Park 10, Gold Coast BDO 14
  • Options
    Being No1 doesn't always mean being the best.

Mamma Mia was the biggest selling DVD in the history of the worldiverse, and that's appalling.

Anyway, you have numpties like me who bought their CD (as yet to arrive) via 1oC, so it won't show on UK sales will it?

Chart shmart.
    Just a dude growing veg

haywayne.blogspot.com
  • Options
    ilockyerilockyer Posts: 2,236
    HeyWayne wrote:

Mamma Mia was the biggest selling DVD in the history of the worldiverse, and that's appalling.

Anyway, you have numpties like me who bought their CD (as yet to arrive) via 1oC, so it won't show on UK sales will it?

Chart shmart.

You're being too kind to Mamma Mia, it's far worse than merely appalling! :) Got subjected to those horrors on a coach trip from New York to Niagara last year... my iPod died prior to this, luckily I managed to get to sleep fairly quickly without too many nightmares!

Good to know it's sold as many copies, near enough, as Avocado in the first week though, I guess it shows people in this country have less taste than they did 3 years ago that it means a lower chart entry.

I'd be surprised if the 10c sales amount to more than 1k here in the UK, allowing for multiple format purchases.
    The secret to a happy ending is knowing when to roll the credits
  • Options
    pdalowskypdalowsky Doncaster,UK Posts: 14,706
    This sucks so bad, so the kings of leon's record that came out a year ago has sold almost as many

and peter fucking andre? seriously? Dizzee bleeding rascal?

Unreal, the Uk's music scene is laughable

I wonder how many tenclub orders were made however and if that will impact upon the US position or whether tenclub copies are not even counted there?
  • Options
    I actually thought media whore Peter Andre had hung up his mic. I would rather listen to out of tune bagpipes than that album. But in all honesty, the British charts are full of turd like awful pop songs, manufactured Pop idol stuff and it's very, very rare a guitar is struck in anger it is popular over here. But at least Muse have done well, least that shows some people have a tiny bit more taste. More so than Andre.
    :D Rock on!!!! :D
    Seen Pearl Jam 4 times in London, once in Manchester, as well as an Eddie show at Hammersmith.
  • Options
    icemanap wrote:
    I actually thought media whore Peter Andre had hung up his mic. I would rather listen to out of tune bagpipes than that album. But in all honesty, the British charts are full of turd like awful pop songs, manufactured Pop idol stuff and it's very, very rare a guitar is struck in anger it is popular over here. But at least Muse have done well, least that shows some people have a tiny bit more taste. More so than Andre.

I dont know, I think I would rather listen to Peter Andre than Muse......
    Astoria 20/04/06, Leeds 25/08/06, Prague 22/09/06, Wembley 18/06/07,
    Dusseldorf 21/06/07, Manchester 17/08/09, London 18/08/09, LA 06/10/09, LA 07/10/09.

Ain't gonna be any middle anymore.
  • Options
    i am in the uk , never even look to see where albums are in the chart !! doe not matter to me one jot !!
    the new pj album rocks & will push that fact to all & sundry who would be intrested . sod all the teenage girlies & middle aged birds buying jonas bros , miley cyrus , james blunt , vera lynn etc .

:roll:
  • Options
    BTW apparantly Ten is at number 51 in the UK Album Chart this week :)
    London 1 and 2 2018
    Fenway Park 1 and 2 2018
  • Options
    sod all the teenage girlies & middle aged birds buying jonas bros , miley cyrus , james blunt , vera lynn etc .

Oi! I'm a middle aged bird!! But not into the jonas bros, miley cyrus and vera lynn. But have got a James Blunt cd! :x

Went to get the shopping at Morrisons today, no sign of it in there, otherwise I might have bought it as still waiting for 10c copy. Guess the wait continues .....
  • Options
    pdalowskypdalowsky Doncaster,UK Posts: 14,706
    icemanap wrote:

I dont know, I think I would rather listen to Peter Andre than Muse......

wtf??

even if you hate muse you clearly havent heard that andre record.
  • Options
    Claireack wrote:
    sod all the teenage girlies & middle aged birds buying jonas bros , miley cyrus , james blunt , vera lynn etc .

Oi! I'm a middle aged bird!! But not into the jonas bros, miley cyrus and vera lynn. But have got a James Blunt cd! :x

Went to get the shopping at Morrisons today, no sign of it in there, otherwise I might have bought it as still waiting for 10c copy. Guess the wait continues .....

lol chill out , the first two names were labelled under teenage girlies !! was right about the bluntster though lol !!

what a surprise that morrisons do not have it !! geeeez . them places have killed the small independent record stores with low price chart (top 10) mainly stuff , not a back catalogue or obscure release to be seen !!
    wait for your 10c delivery , don't line their pockets if you can help it .
    ;)
  • Options
    HeyWayne wrote:

Not surprising, considering it was promoted in America as if it was the second coming of Jesus, from the day the movie was announced until a few months after the DVD was released. Endless "Mama Mia" commercials. Never have I seen such annoying and self-congradulatory crap. Even worse than Tyler Perry.
  • Options
    was right about the bluntster though lol !!

Yeah you were, although I should add that my husband was actually the one who bought it!! :D
    them places have killed the small independent record stores with low price chart (top 10) mainly stuff , not a back catalogue or obscure release to be seen

I live in a small town with absolutely no record/music store at present. It's a crying shame. I guess it's Play or Amazon or trip to the nearest city!