Options

A Refreshing Change of Pace

soulsingingsoulsinging Posts: 13,208
edited September 2009 in The Porch
Backspacer sounds better every damn time I hear it. When I first heard it, I didn't dislike it, but I didn't think it was anything special. But it just keeps growing on me. I loved s/t when it first came out, but with every listen I got a little less impressed. Riot Act disappointed me from the beginning, and never really improved. So this is a very pleasant change of pace to my mind.

It's odd, when I think of individual songs, none really stand out or blow me away. But when I put the album on, I find myself singing along and rocking out the whole time. As much as people worried about it, I think its brevity is one of its greatest strengths... it flows so nicely and you are left wanting more... like George Costanza ;)
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    youngsteryoungster Boston Posts: 6,574
    For me the CD runs over an hour for some reason...

Oh yeah, it's because I have to listen to Just Breathe, Unthought Known, and Force of nature about 3 times each.
    He who forgets will be destined to remember.

9/29/04 Boston, 6/28/08 Mansfield, 8/23/09 Chicago, 5/15/10 Hartford
    5/17/10 Boston, 10/15/13 Worcester, 10/16/13 Worcester, 10/25/13 Hartford
    8/5/16 Fenway, 8/7/16 Fenway
    EV Solo: 6/16/11 Boston, 6/18/11 Hartford,
  • Options
    It fits well into the context of their entire catalogue, that's for sure. I don't think it's quite as good as Yield or No Code, and it isn't exactly seminal like Ten or Vs.

It's just a solid record with songs that fit well into the scope of the band's overall career.
    everybody wants the most they can possibly get
    for the least they could possibly do
  • Options
    soulsingingsoulsinging Posts: 13,208
    It fits well into the context of their entire catalogue, that's for sure. I don't think it's quite as good as Yield or No Code, and it isn't exactly seminal like Ten or Vs.

It's just a solid record with songs that fit well into the scope of the band's overall career.

Sounds about how I feel. I also think it's the most comfortable album they've done since Yield. Maybe not the best, but it feels less forced than some of their work the last few years. It doesn't have the impact of the first 5 albums, but it certainly seems to have more staying power than the last 2-3.
  • Options
    Backspacer sounds better every damn time I hear it. When I first heard it, I didn't dislike it, but I didn't think it was anything special. But it just keeps growing on me. I loved s/t when it first came out, but with every listen I got a little less impressed. Riot Act disappointed me from the beginning, and never really improved. So this is a very pleasant change of pace to my mind.

It's odd, when I think of individual songs, none really stand out or blow me away. But when I put the album on, I find myself singing along and rocking out the whole time. As much as people worried about it, I think its brevity is one of its greatest strengths... it flows so nicely and you are left wanting more... like George Costanza ;)

you make some good points
  • Options

Yep..I don't think it tops Binaural either.

Still a good record though.
  • Options

SS,

I generally love your posts (except for sports, but we'll just have to agree to disagree), and this one fails to disappoint as well. I must comment on any Costanza reference too. :D I really love this album, just like U. The first 4 songs keep me rocking, hard. Just Breathe is a little EV "solo-y" but it's still very good. And then, it starts. Amongst the Waves kicks ass. UK leaves me perplexed and speechless with tears running down my face. Supersonic picks me back up and makes me bounce my face. S of S, carries me along, and force of nature is unreal. the chorus is superb and it just keeps growing on me. Throw in The End, that's just a bonus, right??? :)

This is a great, great album. I'm surprised I love as many songs as I do within the first week of debut. I see the waves on a distant shore, awaiting my arrival, and I must listen.... ;)
    He floated back down 'cause he wanted to share, his key to the locks on the chains he saw everywhere.
  • Options
    For me the CD runs over an hour for some reason...

Oh yeah, it's because I have to listen to Just Breathe, Unthought Known, and Force of nature about 3 times each.

This, plus 'The End'.
    -Pearlhawk.

Kansas City 5/3/2010
    St. Louis 5/4/2010
    St. Louis 7/1/2011 (EV Solo)
    East Troy 9/3/2011
    East Troy 9/4/2011
    Wrigley Field 7/19/2013