what's on your mind, right now?

Comments

• Thoughts_ArriveThoughts_Arrive Melbourne, Australia Posts: 15,165
    What my mum just said to me (you're never going to get married; who'd want you?)
    Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,456
    What my mum just said to me (you're never going to get married; who'd want you?)
    Well that's a fucked up thing for her to say. Christ. What is her problem? I hope she isn't usually like that. If she is, you should have as little contact with her as possible.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
    PJ_Soul said:
    Well that's a fucked up thing for her to say. Christ. What is her problem? I hope she isn't usually like that. If she is, you should have as little contact with her as possible.
    We were having an argument about her refusing to accept my niece's boyfriend because of his Asian background and she taunted me with that. It had nothing to do with the argument. I have a ticket to see Star Wars in an hours time but told my sister I'm not going. Not in the mood now. I just want to obliterate myself on something.
    Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014
    edited January 2018
    PJ_Soul said:
    We were having an argument about her refusing to accept my niece's boyfriend because of his Asian background and she taunted me with that. It had nothing to do with the argument. I have a ticket to see Star Wars in an hours time but told my sister I'm not going. Not in the mood now. I just want to obliterate myself on something.
    So she's not only vicious, but racist too?? Sounds like a pretty toxic relationship man. Sorry. :( Anyway, dude, almost everyone finds someone to love eventually, if they really want to. It was a mean, callous AND stupid thing for her to say. You should go to the movie so you don't dwell on the dumb shit your mom spewed. There is no merit to what she said, so try not to give a shit. Honestly, the only thing you should be upset about is that your mom has issues. Don't let it get to you so much that it ruins you and your sister's plans..... The movie entertaining BTW. It will likely help to get your mind off of this.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    So she's not only vicious, but racist too?? Sounds like a pretty toxic relationship man. Sorry. :( Anyway, dude, almost everyone finds someone to love eventually, if they really want to. It was a mean, callous AND stupid thing for her to say. You should go to the movie so you don't dwell on the dumb shit your mom spewed. There is no merit to what she said, so try not to give a shit. Honestly, the only thing you should be upset about is that your mom has issues. Don't let it get to you so much that it ruins you and your sister's plans..... The movie entertaining BTW. It will likely help to get your mind off of this.
    Decided to go. I've seen it before. Still feel terrible.
    She's a devout Catholic that goes to church every Sunday and prays at home yet hates others. I don't go to church and am not religious yet I am more of a Catholic than she will ever be.
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    She's a devout Catholic that goes to church every Sunday and prays at home yet hates others. I don't go to church and am not religious yet I am more of a Catholic than she will ever be.
    Good, I'm glad you decided to go. :)
    I hope your mom has a revelation or something so that she is no longer haunted by hate.
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    I hope your mom has a revelation or something so that she is no longer haunted by hate.
    She's been this hateful and abusive my whole life.
    There's many hurtful things she's said in the past.
  • In this extreme cold temperature, I worry about the homeless out there.  It reminds me of that scene from Scrooged, where he is confronted with a victim of his hate, that poor, kind homeless man in the sewer that froze to death holding that pocket watch.  Keep that image in your head, folks, as we endure the wrath of Elsa (from Frozen) and her evil brother Trump.  Keep it in mind as the many homeless around us are being picked on, and picked off, this week and next by such evil forces.    I tried so hard to do good with my prayers, for the homeless, for my family and friends.  I spent so much time trying to kill their evil with kindness, hugs and kisses.  I put so much effort and good karma into a world that still judges me harshly and unfairly in the end.   I pray that we all get through these harsh circumstances.   The world is over-populated, but the evil force of nature in charge of this nonsense should realize that genocide and fear are not the way.  The Holocaust is to serve as a horrible warning of what human and alien nature should never return to again.  We're better than that.   

~peace & love~
    Where to go. Can't return home. Got nowhere to turn to. Noone to turn to. Sitting in my car or aimlessly driving around.
  • 23scidoo23scidoo Thessaloniki,Greece Posts: 18,378
    Where to go. Can't return home. Got nowhere to turn to. Noone to turn to. Sitting in my car or aimlessly driving around.
    Big hug for you..
    Athens 2006. Dusseldorf 2007. Berlin 2009. Venice 2010. Amsterdam 1 2012. Amsterdam 1+2 2014. Buenos Aires 2015.
    Prague Krakow Berlin 2018. Berlin 2022
    EV, Taormina 1+2 2017.

I wish i was the souvenir you kept your house key on..
  • HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    get the fuck out of that house any way you can. being around that is so destructive. my sister bugs the ever living fuck out of me (she's a mentally abusive narcissist). I am so thankful that after this Saturday, I won't have to see her until April (the way family gatherings and birthdays fall this time of year). 

I've learned that family is who treats you best, not who shares your DNA. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    get the fuck out of that house any way you can. being around that is so destructive. my sister bugs the ever living fuck out of me (she's a mentally abusive narcissist). I am so thankful that after this Saturday, I won't have to see her until April (the way family gatherings and birthdays fall this time of year). 

I've learned that family is who treats you best, not who shares your DNA. 
    I wish I could. Cannot afford to move out now especially considering I'm unemployed and a full time university student.
  • jnimhaoileoinjnimhaoileoin Baile Átha Cliath Posts: 2,682
    As of today I'm a 32 year old virgin :tongue:
  • ShynerShyner Posts: 1,226
    Collecting Neil Young music
    Trying to lose it before 40. I don't want to be that guy from the movie.
    don't compare yourself to anyone but your past self. it's good to have goals, but not ones that are based in negativity. do you think your life will suddenly be all rosey once you have sex? NOPE. something else will come up. 'ok, now i've done it, but now i want someone i love to do it with'. that's how a depressed mind works. the changes that need to be made are in your overall mindset, not in individual occurrences. 

i know it's tough, especially in depressive times. i struggle with this every single waking moment of my life. i'm having a shitty anxiety-ridden day today, as a matter of fact. i often find myself wishing for bed time, as it is the only time of day where i feel relaxed and at home, and probably a 'ok, i got through another day' feeling. but that means the other 16 hours have gone wasted. so i try my best not to do that. but as i said, it's a struggle minute by minute some days. 

i know for a fact that depression cannot be willed away. but you can learn to live with the beast that it is and still have a part of you that lives and thinks positively. stop the cycle of 'i can't do this', because, as someone other than me coined, 'whether you believe you can or you believe you can't,  you are correct'. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

happy birthday virgin!!!
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

don't compare yourself to anyone but your past self. it's good to have goals, but not ones that are based in negativity. do you think your life will suddenly be all rosey once you have sex? NOPE. something else will come up. 'ok, now i've done it, but now i want someone i love to do it with'. that's how a depressed mind works. the changes that need to be made are in your overall mindset, not in individual occurrences. 

i know it's tough, especially in depressive times. i struggle with this every single waking moment of my life. i'm having a shitty anxiety-ridden day today, as a matter of fact. i often find myself wishing for bed time, as it is the only time of day where i feel relaxed and at home, and probably a 'ok, i got through another day' feeling. but that means the other 16 hours have gone wasted. so i try my best not to do that. but as i said, it's a struggle minute by minute some days. 

i know for a fact that depression cannot be willed away. but you can learn to live with the beast that it is and still have a part of you that lives and thinks positively. stop the cycle of 'i can't do this', because, as someone other than me coined, 'whether you believe you can or you believe you can't,  you are correct'. 
    Thanks man.
    I hope your anxiety subsides.
  • ShynerShyner Posts: 1,226
    Getting lost dogs again and the vs vitalogy Orpheum box set oh and the gorge box
    Just off the phone from a long conversation with my brother, who does not approve of the idea of me choosing to become a single parent. He's rather old-fashioned and conservative, steadfastly maintaining that a child should have a mother and a father. He also has the luxury of being from a world where one parent can afford to stay at home and devote themselves to their child full time. He genuinely did not seem to accept that it is actually the norm these days for both parents to work and to not actually see all that much of their child Mon-Fri, for better or for worse. Personally, I don't think this would lead to my child being emotionally stunted or damaged but that's just me.

Of course we both know my mother would actually insist on looking after my child while I'm at work, whether we like it or not. I don't know if my brother's main concern is how difficult I'd find being a single parent, how much the lack of a father would damage my child or the responsibility that my mother will take upon herself. Maybe he achieved his goal as he has certainly left me questioning myself. It's just such a huge thing, I'm not sure I'll ever actually be able to make a decision. Perhaps by default I will decide by not deciding and just live out my days as I am now, following set routines, thinking only of myself and having no great ambition to achieve anything in life. Well that's an inspiring prospect isn't it.....
    Just off the phone from a long conversation with my brother, who does not approve of the idea of me choosing to become a single parent. He's rather old-fashioned and conservative, steadfastly maintaining that a child should have a mother and a father. He also has the luxury of being from a world where one parent can afford to stay at home and devote themselves to their child full time. He genuinely did not seem to accept that it is actually the norm these days for both parents to work and to not actually see all that much of their child Mon-Fri, for better or for worse. Personally, I don't think this would lead to my child being emotionally stunted or damaged but that's just me.

Of course we both know my mother would actually insist on looking after my child while I'm at work, whether we like it or not. I don't know if my brother's main concern is how difficult I'd find being a single parent, how much the lack of a father would damage my child or the responsibility that my mother will take upon herself. Maybe he achieved his goal as he has certainly left me questioning myself. It's just such a huge thing, I'm not sure I'll ever actually be able to make a decision. Perhaps by default I will decide by not deciding and just live out my days as I am now, following set routines, thinking only of myself and having no great ambition to achieve anything in life. Well that's an inspiring prospect isn't it.....
    BULLSHIT! single parenting is hard, but if you have a solid support network, it can be done. and the rewards are immeasurable. two parents are not required. one loving parent and the supportive "village" is all one needs. i grew up with two loving parents, so i'm saying this as an unbiased contributor. 

your brother is stuck in his ways, and that's fine for him. maybe he is concerned for your mom, but your mom is a big girl and can decide things for herself. does she help him out, and is he worried that will take away from his support system? or does she have health issues that could get worse from taking care of a young child? when are you are able to go back to work, what is the child care system like where you are? is it accessible, or a multi year wait list? will your mom decide to take care of the child until it is time the it to go to school? what if she falls ill? will you have a back up plan?

none of this is asked to discourage you. i love my kids and i'm sure you'd love yours too. these are just things to consider. my wife is in the child care field and sees nightmare scenarios all the time where people call saying 'i need care next week when i'm done mat leave' and my wife has to break it to them that they should have called when they were pregnant. things like that. 

it's not impossible and the rewards are endless. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

BULLSHIT! single parenting is hard, but if you have a solid support network, it can be done. and the rewards are immeasurable. two parents are not required. one loving parent and the supportive "village" is all one needs. i grew up with two loving parents, so i'm saying this as an unbiased contributor. 

your brother is stuck in his ways, and that's fine for him. maybe he is concerned for your mom, but your mom is a big girl and can decide things for herself. does she help him out, and is he worried that will take away from his support system? or does she have health issues that could get worse from taking care of a young child? when are you are able to go back to work, what is the child care system like where you are? is it accessible, or a multi year wait list? will your mom decide to take care of the child until it is time the it to go to school? what if she falls ill? will you have a back up plan?

none of this is asked to discourage you. i love my kids and i'm sure you'd love yours too. these are just things to consider. my wife is in the child care field and sees nightmare scenarios all the time where people call saying 'i need care next week when i'm done mat leave' and my wife has to break it to them that they should have called when they were pregnant. things like that. 

Unfortunately I have no close friends or family here, only my mother, so the support network is somewhat lacking. My mum is 73 and while she is fully independent now, she does have a number of health issues which are likely to affect this as she gets older (type 1 diabetes, emphysema and osteoporosis). 

In Ireland you get 6 months paid maternity leave and most people take another 6 unpaid. There is government support for a year's free childcare at age 3, before a child starts school at 4 or 5. Childcare is very expensive but readily available. So there would be a few options. I could maybe use the creche half the time and my mum the other half or I could look into job sharing opportunities or extended leave if possible. 

I realise being a single parent would be an enormous challenge and, quite frankly, I find the thought terrifying. Jaysus I'm terrified at the thought of pregnancy and everything that could go wrong. To have a healthy baby would seem like half the battle to me
  • RogueStonerRogueStoner Sunny AZ Posts: 1,716

Unfortunately I have no close friends or family here, only my mother, so the support network is somewhat lacking. My mum is 73 and while she is fully independent now, she does have a number of health issues which are likely to affect this as she gets older (type 1 diabetes, emphysema and osteoporosis). 

In Ireland you get 6 months paid maternity leave and most people take another 6 unpaid. There is government support for a year's free childcare at age 3, before a child starts school at 4 or 5. Childcare is very expensive but readily available. So there would be a few options. I could maybe use the creche half the time and my mum the other half or I could look into job sharing opportunities or extended leave if possible. 

I realise being a single parent would be an enormous challenge and, quite frankly, I find the thought terrifying. Jaysus I'm terrified at the thought of pregnancy and everything that could go wrong. To have a healthy baby would seem like half the battle to me
    FWIW, I have a very good feeling about you becoming a mother. Best of luck to you. :)
    Jenny, I would rather have had one loving and supportive single parent than a dad and an abusive, unsupportive mother which I have.
  • RogueStonerRogueStoner Sunny AZ Posts: 1,716
    Only in Arizona do kids beg to stay up past their bedtime because it's raining. 
    But everything totally works out for that guy, lol.

Good thing it's not your brother's decision to make! :)
  • dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    PJ_Soul said:
    It does not! He winds up selling all his toys for some bimbo!

What a dope!
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • lolobugglolobugg BLUE RDGE MTNS Posts: 8,174
    PJ_Soul said:

he did have a lot of cool action figures.........

livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=446

1995- New Orleans, LA  : New Orleans, LA

1996- Charleston, SC

1998- Atlanta, GA: Birmingham, AL: Greenville, SC: Knoxville, TN

2000- Atlanta, GA: New Orleans, LA: Memphis, TN: Nashville, TN

2003- Raleigh, NC: Charlotte, NC: Atlanta, GA

2004- Asheville, NC (hometown show)

2006- Cincinnati, OH

2008- Columbia, SC

2009- Chicago, IL x 2 / Ed Vedder- Atlanta, GA x 2

2010- Bristow, VA

2011- Alpine Valley, WI (PJ20) x 2 / Ed Vedder- Chicago, IL

2012- Atlanta, GA

2013- Charlotte, NC

2014- Cincinnati, OH

2015- New York, NY

2016- Greenville, SC: Hampton, VA:: Columbia, SC: Raleigh, NC : Lexington, KY: Philly, PA 2: (Wrigley) Chicago, IL x 2 (holy shit): Temple of the Dog- Philly, PA

2017- ED VED- Louisville, KY

2018- Chicago, IL x2, Boston, MA x2

2020- Nashville, TN 

2022- Smashville 

2023- Austin, TX x2

• dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    lolobugg said:
    PJ_Soul said:

he did have a lot of cool action figures.........
    My buddy is going on being the 44-year-old virgin, but he still has all his toys, goddamn it!
    I SAW PEARL JAM