Leezestarr313Leezestarr313 Temple of the cat Posts: 14,346
    edited February 2016
    RKCNDY said:

RKCNDY said:

Jogill said:

RKCNDY said:

Watched bread dough never rises... :anguished:

Playing with the bread maker are we?
    No, I don't have a bread maker. I'm doing it the old fashioned way, by hand...well, I tried using the hand mixer for kneading...don't do that.
    What kind of bread are you making? when I make my sourdough rye, I always use a big wooden spoon to get the mix rolling. I add all the grains, salt, yeast, oats, bread spice and then add the flour by cups, intermingled with water. The dough is always more on the fluid side, this is how it turns out best. No kneading involved :smiley: I hope your bread turns out good!
    yeast dough...making cinnamon rolls. I was following Alton Brown's recipe. After I killed my hand mixer, I kneaded by hand. My dough was tougher than I wanted (too much flour), and I used active instead of instant yeast. Now I know if the recipe calls for melted butter, I should use instant, or bloom the yeast first.
    I also know my house is really cold, I ended up proofing in the microwave (bowl of boiling water and bowl of dough-I didn't microwave the dough, oven is too big and cold to proof in there).
    Found my bread flour when I was putting everything away...:fp:

Rolls are edible, just a little chewier than I want.

I want a proper stand-up mixer now...Electrolux or Hobart.
    I use lukewarm water or milk to get the yeast bubbling when I do that kind of stuff. With too much heat you can kill the yeast. When the dough is done, I wrap the bowl in a towel and put it in the bed under the blankets. That helps retaining the warmth and gives it a nice start to rise :)

It's always a workout for me to make break, I usually make three to four at once. I have a kitchenaid, but it is just too much dough for that :lol: I would need an industrial sized one :pensive:
  • Options
    Saltzy23Saltzy23 Posts: 1,347
    edited February 2016
    PJ_Soul said:

How does staff effectively tell their boss that his secretary is a disaster? Several of us feel that he needs to know how and why she's driving all of us up the wall, and why she is completely useless, but that is a really difficult thing to bring up, especially when it will make her look so bad and she wouldn't know we're doing it. He obviously has to know some of it, but I don't think he understands just how bad it is for most of the staff, and we feel like he needs to confront the issues with her....... I'm sure as hell not going to be the one to bring it up to him though! (yes, I have tried to talk to her directly - it absolutely does not work - this chick is totally fucked up).

Why does this matter? The corporate world should be a meritocracy. People that suck should be fired so that more deserving, better qualified people can step in and do the job better.

There is a right way and a wrong way to let people go, on that I absolutely agree, but people that argue how wrong it is to fire people because they are 'nice', or because of how it's gonna effect their life afterwards are speaking a language I simply do not understand.

#JewishNYCAnalyst
    'I know I was born and I know that I'll die, the in between is mine.'
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,539
    edited February 2016
    Saltzy23 said:

PJ_Soul said:

How does staff effectively tell their boss that his secretary is a disaster? Several of us feel that he needs to know how and why she's driving all of us up the wall, and why she is completely useless, but that is a really difficult thing to bring up, especially when it will make her look so bad and she wouldn't know we're doing it. He obviously has to know some of it, but I don't think he understands just how bad it is for most of the staff, and we feel like he needs to confront the issues with her....... I'm sure as hell not going to be the one to bring it up to him though! (yes, I have tried to talk to her directly - it absolutely does not work - this chick is totally fucked up).

Why does this matter? The corporate world should be a meritocracy. People that suck should be fired so that more deserving, better qualified people can step in and do the job better.

There is a right way and a wrong way to let people go, on that I absolutely agree, but people that argue how wrong it is to fire people because they are 'nice', or because of how it's gonna effect their life afterwards are speaking a language I simply do not understand.

#JewishNYCAnalyst
    I agree, but this isn't the corporate world. I work at a university. Totally different atmosphere and culture compared to the corporate world. Also, we're union (not one where it's impossible to get rid of people, but, rightly, there is a process for dealing with these matters). At any rate, we don't want to destroy the woman or send her into a disciplinary process (yet), because she doesn't know any better (and yes, it was a bad hire - if I'd had a say there is no way I would have hired her; she had already worked with us as a temp a few years ago, and I totally saw her issues, but most people aren't very perceptive, so our boss hired her). Also, we don't want to hurt her personally. Yes, we do care about that because she's a person with feelings. We just want her to stop acting like a useless idiot. She's got weird ideas about shit. I feel like she could improve; she just needs real guidance from our boss. I absolutely do not believe in the cut throat attitude that you're talking about. I do NOT think it's wrong to fire people who deserve it, but I also think that people first deserve a chance to improve, which means diplomatically approaching them about their problems. If they can't change and improve, THEN fire them. In this case, besides the few attempts I've made (I am not her superior), no one has ever confronted her about problems, and that I find inexcusable.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    Here
    PJ_Soul said:

Saltzy23 said:

PJ_Soul said:

#JewishNYCAnalyst
    I agree, but this isn't the corporate world. I work at a university. Totally different atmosphere and culture compared to the corporate world. Also, we're union (not one where it's impossible to get rid of people, but, rightly, there is a process for dealing with these matters). At any rate, we don't want to destroy the woman or send her into a disciplinary process (yet), because she doesn't know any better (and yes, it was a bad hire - if I'd had a say there is no way I would have hired her; she had already worked with us as a temp a few years ago, and I totally saw her issues, but most people aren't very perceptive, so our boss hired her). Also, we don't want to hurt her personally. Yes, we do care about that because she's a person with feelings. We just want her to stop acting like a useless idiot. She's got weird ideas about shit. I feel like she could improve; she just needs real guidance from our boss. I absolutely do not believe in the cut throat attitude that you're talking about. I do NOT think it's wrong to fire people who deserve it, but I also think that people first deserve a chance to improve, which means diplomatically approaching them about their problems. If they can't change and improve, THEN fire them. In this case, besides the few attempts I've made (I am not her superior), no one has ever confronted her about problems, and that I find inexcusable.
    Here is my counter-argument, at least regarding the cut throat aspect.

In my line of work people get hired because they are supposedly subject matter experts. Forget being trained or requiring guidance, these are the people that are supposed to GIVE the training most of the time. Many just fell into this work, or thought it would be a good career at some point, but just to be honest, many are frauds that have no idea what they are doing. They have just learned how to play the game, not rattle any cages, and get a paycheck every 2 weeks.

If you let enough of these kind of people infiltrate the organization the whole place suffers. I am a firm believer of 'You are an adult and you are here to do a job. If you are not doing it, we should get rid of you and find someone that will.'
  • Options
    edited February 2016
    Saltzy23 said:

Here

PJ_Soul said:

Saltzy23 said:

PJ_Soul said:

#JewishNYCAnalyst

In my line of work people get hired because they are supposedly subject matter experts. Forget being trained or requiring guidance, these are the people that are supposed to GIVE the training most of the time. Many just fell into this work, or thought it would be a good career at some point, but just to be honest, many are frauds that have no idea what they are doing. They have just learned how to play the game, not rattle any cages, and get a paycheck every 2 weeks.

If you let enough of these kind of people infiltrate the organization the whole place suffers. I am a firm believer of 'You are an adult and you are here to do a job. If you are not doing it, we should get rid of you and find someone that will.'
    I end up where you are, but I still think that everyone deserves a chance to improve. Not a bunch of chances. But at least one.
    That said, absolutely, there are some serious fucking wimps in my office who will not confront anything about anything. That is why I have been the only person to attempt to talk to her about this, but it is absolutely not my place to do so, and my efforts were therefore pointless. Her boss needs to do it, but for that to happen he needs to be made aware of all the problems we're experiencing. We just need an appropriate person to step up and talk to him about it - that person is not me. I am working on it though, lol. Hoping to convince an appropriate person to do it.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    edited February 2016
    PJ_Soul said:

Saltzy23 said:

Here

PJ_Soul said:

Saltzy23 said:

PJ_Soul said:

#JewishNYCAnalyst

I end up where you are, but I still think that everyone deserves a chance to improve. Not a bunch of chances. But at least one.
    People don't change bruh.

You may want them to. You may want what's best for them. You may sincerely care about their well being and want them to change their behavioral patterns, but at the end of the day people are what people are.

The good thing is that there are a million kinds of office cultures out there. Some where only being nice, or not being that great at your job, or being a little weird are more acceptable. That is where these people should work. It's not a slight, it's just the way it is. Some people are meant to work at Apple, and others at Applebee's.
    Post edited by Saltzy23 on
  • Options
    Sprunkn7Sprunkn7 Posts: 5,277
    I work in a small office and we have all been together for 12 years ( some are there 35 and another 26) .We had a woman in our office for 1 year that we never got along with. We tried to be nice, distant but nice. After a few weeks we knew she wasn't right. She was starting school and let us know how "we were a stepping stone, this job was the lowest of the low". For someone trying to be a PA..lol, I find this extremely funny....no medical job is lower than low....a medical assistant helping with patients, hands on helping...is not a low job...anyway she tried bossing us all around. That didn't fly...she came to work on time 3 times in a year...3 times she was there at 8 oclock. Everyday was an excuse. The boss talked to her, we talked to her. She cried weekly. She was sick constantly. And we came to hate her. I don't hate anybody..but man after 2 months of me cleaning up all her shit I really hated her. We finally staged a us or her deal and my boss relented. He didn't like her either but he felt sorry for her. When he let her go he told her it was because her school hours didn't give her enough time for the job. She told me that and I looked right at her and said bullshit. You sucked, we know it, you know it, everybody knows it. She still send me texts every so often and I ignore her. She was and is batshit crazy in a hundred ways. I don't know how she can manage to get through a day alive I swear.
    We now have have woman we love with us this past year. I thank my lucky starts for her everyday,
    It was a year in my work life I would love to have back.,,,a total waste of my energy.
    Thank you fellow 10 clubber for saving my ass....again!!!
  • Options
    ldent42ldent42 NYC Posts: 7,859
    No one wants to let me rent their AirBnb :frowning:
    NYC 06/24/08-Auckland 11/27/09-Chch 11/29/09-Newark 05/18/10-Atlanta 09/22/12-Chicago 07/19/13-Brooklyn 10/18/13 & 10/19/13-Hartford 10/25/13-Baltimore 10/27/13-Auckland 1/17/14-GC 1/19/14-Melbourne 1/24/14-Sydney 1/26/14-Amsterdam 6/16/14 & 6/17/14-Milan 6/20/14-Berlin 6/26/14-Leeds 7/8/14-Milton Keynes 7/11/14-St. Louis 10/3/14-NYC 9/26/15
    LIVEFOOTSTEPS.ORG/USER/?USR=435
  • Options
    JWPearlJWPearl Posts: 19,893
    you all must be excited to going to those shows i look forward to it when
    the opportunity arrives..
    daughter is coming for the day today so im excited its mums turn to cook
    as last week i did a pot roast..
    positively my friends is holding back bc i think they was told to until until
    im really free so it means waiting but not too long
    today is another hot day and i just want it to rain
    anyway have a nice night..
  • Options
    ldent42 said:

why cause you're a NYC gansta :lol:
  • Options
    Sprunkn7 said:

ldent42 said:

apparently my 5'2 femaleness is threatening? :lol:
    NYC 06/24/08-Auckland 11/27/09-Chch 11/29/09-Newark 05/18/10-Atlanta 09/22/12-Chicago 07/19/13-Brooklyn 10/18/13 & 10/19/13-Hartford 10/25/13-Baltimore 10/27/13-Auckland 1/17/14-GC 1/19/14-Melbourne 1/24/14-Sydney 1/26/14-Amsterdam 6/16/14 & 6/17/14-Milan 6/20/14-Berlin 6/26/14-Leeds 7/8/14-Milton Keynes 7/11/14-St. Louis 10/3/14-NYC 9/26/15
  • Options
    only the stupid and reckless are threatening....
  • Options
    edited February 2016
    Saltzy23 said:

PJ_Soul said:

Saltzy23 said:

Here

PJ_Soul said:

Saltzy23 said:

PJ_Soul said:

#JewishNYCAnalyst

People don't change bruh.

You may want them to. You may want what's best for them. You may sincerely care about their well being and want them to change their behavioral patterns, but at the end of the day people are what people are.

The good thing is that there are a million kinds of office cultures out there. Some where only being nice, or not being that great at your job, or being a little weird are more acceptable. That is where these people should work. It's not a slight, it's just the way it is. Some people are meant to work at Apple, and others at Applebee's.
    First, please don't call me bruh, lol. ;)
    Secondly, some people do change, but that's not even what we're talking about. We're talking about workers recognizing their mistakes (or being informed of them) and changing their methods, and that actually happens constantly. It's called learning and gaining experience. Did you know that just firing people and retraining instead of teaching is an incredibly inefficient way of dealing with employees, and that it also terrible for morale?
    Thirdly, FYI, your last point comes off as a really snobby insult. And btw, I'm sure there are PLENTY of people who are more than a little weird working at Apple. I feel like you are really stuck in a limited, box-like, boring, old-fashioned, stale mindset in terms of people and work that actually doesn't reflect the kind of attitude that leads to success at all.
  • Options
    ldent42 said:

Sprunkn7 said:

ldent42 said:

dumbasses
  • Options
    my dream two days ago
    guy walk infront of me
    his lady walks up to him
    say some strange words
    at first familar but then
    not familar and the brunette
    guy says to me
    ''remember me'' then goes
    to say my daughters name
    and waves....
    very stupid dream
  • Options
    Sprunkn7 said:

ldent42 said:

Sprunkn7 said:

ldent42 said:

dumbasses
    after a few more messages I've decided that some people are just incredibly shady. I fully admit that I could've gotten the jump on this BS by booking something waaaaaaay earlier when the dates were announced but I was not hell-bent on Wrigley. I rolled the dice on tix, if I hadn't pulled 10c tix I wouldn't have gone. But I guess now that most 10c members are confirmed they've booked up the whole neighborhood! I'm alright though, I've got a room booked at a hostel. I was just hoping I could score something within walking distance.
  • Options
    northerndragonnortherndragon somewhere, nowhere, anywhere Posts: 9,735
    RIval Sons(oh and Black Sabbath to) and how many concerts I can go to in a week while working.
    Anything you lose from being honest
    You never really had to begin with.

Sometimes it's not the song that makes you emotional it's the people and things that come to your mind when you hear it.
  • Options
    bluegracebluegrace Posts: 2,357
    I know it's ego, but I'm thinking about my poetry
    Kool Kat Club 1992, Moderna museet 1992, Globen 2012, Friends arena 2014
  • Options
    just woke up from dreaming of prince which i thought was odd and coincidental because
    we just found out hes coming to perth for the first time ever not that that should make me
    even dream about him though i do like some of his songs
    been thinking and decided that moving out anywhere else is kinda a hassle so i will holiday
    then come back home no stress or crap if you know what i mean and no bulls***
    i dont mind giving my money away..on flights etc if you know what i mean but first
    i will decide which place to holidays first bc dont want to go to crappy places
  • Options
    I just crushed one of the biggest meetings of my life. Director, here I come baby!

(No Jinx)
  • Options
    ldent42 said:

Sprunkn7 said:

ldent42 said:

Sprunkn7 said:

ldent42 said:

dumbasses
    after a few more messages I've decided that some people are just incredibly shady. I fully admit that I could've gotten the jump on this BS by booking something waaaaaaay earlier when the dates were announced but I was not hell-bent on Wrigley. I rolled the dice on tix, if I hadn't pulled 10c tix I wouldn't have gone. But I guess now that most 10c members are confirmed they've booked up the whole neighborhood! I'm alright though, I've got a room booked at a hostel. I was just hoping I could score something within walking distance.
    I looked at few for Philly but after reading some of the reviews and looking at the logistics I'm sticking with my hotel within walking distance of the venue. Been to the city a lot so I'm not sight seeing....I'm Pearl Jamming for the whole weekend! Hope to hit up at least one Wishlist party and want to just relax and not be running around. My ass wants to hang loose and at least with the hotel I know what I'm getting. But it aint cheap!
  • Options
    dads picking me up today to buy 10 bags of potting mix and some new taps for the shower so we can do the garden and fix the leaking shower but it wont fix it but it should hold up and be easier to tighten shut with better knobs until the plumber fixes it but then at least it will be permanant and reliable which is what i like!!
  • Options
    JogillJogill Posts: 4,549
    *When is that phone gonna arrive?
    *i really need to talk to Expedia about that screwed up flight
    *do i need a printer?
    late PJ bloomer- what was I doing in the 90's that I didn't know who Pearl Jam was???
  • Options
    I think it's time to put some things on ebay. I just have wayyyyy too much stuff.
  • Options
    just woke up from a bunch of dreams where its seems a bunch of kids have nothing better to do than to lie and bitch about somebody so that the person is disliked honestly im put right off these kids as for the person they are nice...
    feel like crap as i slept to much to watch utter crap and am so put off at the moment bc i think i know who it is
  • Options
    I have to go to a wake tomorrow. I don't like wakes.
  • Options
    njnancynjnancy Northern New Jersey Posts: 5,096
    I'm wondering how my son is, how much I miss him, feeling like a bad mom cause I wasn't able to prevent his father from getting to him - that's a constant narrative. Then there's the rest of the circus that's always going on up there. Want hot soup - it's really cold.
  • Options
    Well I'm at dads for two days and he's got presto so since I couldn't sleep I
    Watched a movie don't know what else is planned but prolly go to bed early
    Bc I feel a bit under the weather didn't wake up too good this morning in a
    Foul mood....which is what I don't want
    Dad has been showing me some Spanish music loved it..anyway won't be
    On the net tonight but will check out tour/show info tomorrow and can look
    Forward to periscopes maybe if I get time.....
  • Options
    samjamsamjam New York Posts: 9,283
    I have Monday off (very rare, this is the only holiday other than bare minimum we get off), so I am so happy!
    "Sometimes you find yourself having to put all your faith in no faith."
    ~not a dude~
    2010: MSGx2
    2012: Made In America
    2013: Pittsburgh, Brooklynx2, Hartford, Baltimore
    2014: Leeds, Milton Keynes, Detroit
    2015: Global Citizen Festival
    2016: Phillyx2, MSGx2, Fenwayx2
    2018: Barcelona, Wrigleyx2
  • Options
    samjam said:

I have Monday off (very rare, this is the only holiday other than bare minimum we get off), so I am so happy!

Hey Sam, did you go for DMB Warehouse tx? I got Jones Beach (only show I went for) but I got bumped into the cheap seats :loser: ...With PJ coming up I don't mind at all. Now hoping for nice weather. Last two times I was there it was raining and COLD!!!