Options

Is any die hard fan a prouder PJ fan after this album?

rjbukowskirjbukowski Posts: 117
edited September 2009 in The Porch
I have to say, PJ seems to be "cool" again with this album, amazing reviews, "hit" radio song, so as a fan who has been there from the beginning, are you happy people are calling them "popular" again?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    G ForceG Force Posts: 1,392
    What?
  • Options
    i usually get more of a swelling of pride when i goto GA festivals and watch them destroy all other bands at the fest. happens everytime. :)
  • Options
    mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,380
    i usually get more of a swelling of pride when i goto GA festivals and watch them destroy all other bands at the fest. happens everytime. :)
    haha---looking forward to witnessing that first hand next Sunday @ ACL. 8-)
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • Options
    yield2meyield2me Posts: 1,291
    mfc2006 wrote:
    haha---looking forward to witnessing that first hand next Sunday @ ACL. 8-)

they're going to tear it up! I'm so excited for this show that I can hardly think about much else
    “May you live to be 100 and may the last voice you hear be mine.” - Frank Sinatra
  • Options
    Um, not really.
    Poetry and powertools
  • Options
    tommy boytommy boy United States Posts: 686
    first of all, this band has always been on top. Second does this album insire me to get on with my getting on,,,,definitley. Music has been stale. "My generation" is THIS band who we grew up with and has helped us grow up. All we want is "our" band to rock us out to keep us rocking out and that is what this album does. Falling in love again is how one of my fellow 10c family members said it and they nailed it. If you dont feel these words than stay home
    No offense but Ed is the lyricist of this band. . I love this band and it keeps me moving through my day and thats all I ask of it. Congrats Eddie on your number two I have two and two changes everything. Two changes everything. Thanks for writing Eddie is keeps me thinking. Somebody please find me a fan club seat for philly 2, i am coming from Buffalo and went to Albany and now this tide is ready to eat a cheese steak, or two. Thank you pearl jam and all I want for christmas is a fan club seat, a fan club seat,...Peace and love,Lennons goodbye
    1996: TORONTO, TOLEDO, BUFFALO
    1998: BARRIE, PITTSBURGH, CLEVELAND*, MERRIWEATHER POST
    2000: TORONTO, PITTSBURGH, DETROIT, SARATOGA SPRINGS
    2003: TORONTO, BUFFALO*, CLEVELAND, MSG 1
    2004: TOLEDO, GRAND RAPIDS
    2006: PITTSBURGH
    2008: HARTFORD
    2009: PHILLY II
    2010: BUFFALO
    2013: BUFFALO
    2014: DETROIT
    2016: NYC I NYC II
  • Options
    rjbukowski wrote:
    I have to say, PJ seems to be "cool" again with this album, amazing reviews, "hit" radio song, so as a fan who has been there from the beginning, are you happy people are calling them "popular" again?

I guess if you cared what other people thought than it would matter.. but I could honestly care less.. I guess the way I see it is the more good music that is out there and people are liking it the better.

I would have stayed as equally proud of my Pearl Jam "fan-dom" if the release had been a sucess or a bomb.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

As individual fingers we can easily be broken, but together we make a mighty fist ~ Sitting Bull
  • Options
    I'd rather they keep making interesting music over popular music.

Maybe its just me and my sour-puss indy-streak or whatever, but the more popular they have become with the last 2 records, the less interested I am. Sadly. And not because I cant stand liking anything popular, but more because when popularity sets in, it's often because they align closer to the mainstream. Which to me, is a pretty uninteresting place. I'll take a little less popularity for an increased dose of creativity anyday.

But that's comparing them to themselves. If this were a record from a new band, I'd think they were onto something, and waiting to see where they'd go next. My disappointment is that they seem to head the other way from where I'd like to have them. I always did like their "weirder" stuff better.

Oh well.

But summing up, I generally dont feel proud because music I like is popular. But good for the guys in the band, I suppose.

Peace
    Dan
    "YOU [humans] NEED TO BELIEVE IN THINGS THAT AREN'T TRUE. HOW ELSE CAN THEY BECOME?" - Death

"Every judgment teeters on the brink of error. To claim absolute knowledge is to become monstrous. Knowledge is an unending adventure at the edge of uncertainty." - Frank Herbert, Dune, 1965
  • Options
    yes
  • Options
    interesting question. i'm not "prouder" of them b/c they may become more popular b/c of the accessibilty of BS. i'm glad that maybe more fans will be exposed to their greatness, i hope some new people find the joy in following this band that I/we do.

i am really proud of them because they've once again found a way to put something out there that is completely different, yet high quality.
  • Options
    the wolfthe wolf Posts: 7,027
    tommy boy wrote:
    first of all, this band has always been on top. Second does this album insire me to get on with my getting on,,,,definitley. Music has been stale. "My generation" is THIS band who we grew up with and has helped us grow up. All we want is "our" band to rock us out to keep us rocking out and that is what this album does. Falling in love again is how one of my fellow 10c family members said it and they nailed it. If you dont feel these words than stay home
    No offense but Ed is the lyricist of this band. . I love this band and it keeps me moving through my day and thats all I ask of it. Congrats Eddie on your number two I have two and two changes everything. Two changes everything. Thanks for writing Eddie is keeps me thinking. Somebody please find me a fan club seat for philly 2, i am coming from Buffalo and went to Albany and now this tide is ready to eat a cheese steak, or two. Thank you pearl jam and all I want for christmas is a fan club seat, a fan club seat,...Peace and love,Lennons goodbye

hey, thanks. glad someone got that "falling in love all over again" thing i wrote. :? :lol:
    Peace, Love.

"To question your government is not unpatriotic --
    to not question your government is unpatriotic."
    -- Sen. Chuck Hagel
  • Options
    HeavyHandsHeavyHands Posts: 2,130
    rjbukowski wrote:

I don't know that "proud" is how I would describe any relationship I have to this band's music. To me, "proud" would indicate that I had something to do with the creation of it. Nope. I just really enjoy listening to it. And I sure like this album a lot. It sounds like Yield and S/T had a love child.

As far as them being "cool" or "popular..." if that's true then great. I hope it turns other people on to their other albums because, to me, their entire catalogue is cool as hell. Popularity is fickle and fleeting though. When this album has three top singles I'll consider it popular.
    "A lot more people are capable of being big out there that just don't give themselves a chance." -Stone Gossard
  • Options
    Yellow BedwetterYellow Bedwetter NYC Posts: 2,832
    ive never cared what others think about PJ especially critics...is the band "selling out?" idk...idc...band has to find a media outlet to sell records when everyone is downloading the songs now

i know when i go to a live show...every other die-hard fan there is my friend whether they know it or not

im loving the Into The Wild type songs mixed with these Ramones-style rocker songs combined with Ed's change in vocals for certain songs....they reinvent themselves on every album but this is my favorite album since Yield and it feels good to say that if thats what you mean
    2005: Borgata 2, Philly
    2006: Camden 1&2, East Ruth 1&2
    2008: BONNAROO, MSG1, MSG2, Hartford
    2009: Philly 1, 2, 4
    2010: Hartford, MSG1, MSG2
    2012: Made in America
    2013: BK1, BK2, Hartford
    2015: Global Citizens
    2016: MSG 2 (ISO MSG1)
    EV Solo: NJPAC 2008; Tower Theatre, PA 2009; Hartford 2011
  • Options
    blondieblue227blondieblue227 Va, USA Posts: 4,508
    I don’t think PJ will ever be ‘popular’. Why would you want them to be?
    *~Pearl Jam will be blasted from speakers until morale improves~*

• Options
    october22october22 Posts: 2,533
    nope.
  • Options

as must as i dislike seeing them in this type of setting... above comment is absolutely true
    it's largely due to eddie that i liked to jump off of things as a child...
  • Options
    Gary CarterGary Carter Shea Stadium Posts: 13,940

Maybe its just me and my sour-puss indy-streak or whatever, but the more popular they have become with the last 2 records, the less interested I am. Sadly. And not because I cant stand liking anything popular, but more because when popularity sets in, it's often because they align closer to the mainstream. Which to me, is a pretty uninteresting place. I'll take a little less popularity for an increased dose of creativity anyday.

But that's comparing them to themselves. If this were a record from a new band, I'd think they were onto something, and waiting to see where they'd go next. My disappointment is that they seem to head the other way from where I'd like to have them. I always did like their "weirder" stuff better.

Oh well.

But summing up, I generally dont feel proud because music I like is popular. But good for the guys in the band, I suppose.

Peace
    Dan
    agreed
    Ron: I just don't feel like going out tonight
    Sammi: Wanna just break up?

• Options

What's the difference with this realese compared to S/T?
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    I am. Its amazing how Eddie can continue writing great songs. I think its great that a new generation is exposed to their music...whether they "sold out" or not. Who wants a fan base that are stuck up snobs who think THEY only deserve the music. Share the great music. Everybody deserves to have this great music in thier life. I was truly disappointed with the S/T album and it worried that maybe they were losing thier touch. After this album I was so impressed that they can make a such a great album.
  • Options
    ive never cared what others think about PJ especially critics...is the band "selling out?" idk...idc...band has to find a media outlet to sell records when everyone is downloading the songs now

i know when i go to a live show...every other die-hard fan there is my friend whether they know it or not

im loving the Into The Wild type songs mixed with these Ramones-style rocker songs combined with Ed's change in vocals for certain songs....they reinvent themselves on every album but this is my favorite album since Yield and it feels good to say that if thats what you mean

Well put, my friend. This is essentially the exact same thing I was going to write. I can't think of a better way to state it.
    "FF, I've heard the droning about the Sawx being the baby dolls. Yeah, I get it, you guys invented baseball and suffered forever. I get it." -JearlPam0925
  • Options
    FahkaFahka Posts: 3,187
    i prefer my pearl jam unpopular.. taste better that way ;)
  • Options

Oh well.

Peace
    Dan

Comparing Ten to Binaural to Backspacer, i would say PJ is pretty fucking Indie at this point...

guess it depends on your definition of Indie
    HOB 10.05.2005, E Rutherford 06.03.2006, The Gorge 07.22.2006, Lolla 08.05.2007, West Palm 06.11.2008, Tampa 06.12.2008, Columbia 06.16.2008, EV Memphis 06.20.2009, New Orleans 05.01.2010, Kansas City 05.03.2010
  • Options
    blondieblue227blondieblue227 Va, USA Posts: 4,508

me too
    *~Pearl Jam will be blasted from speakers until morale improves~*

• Options
    WindNoSail wrote:
    Comparing Ten to Binaural to Backspacer, i would say PJ is pretty fucking Indie at this point...

guess it depends on your definition of Indie

Yeah it depends, I use "indie" here as describing music just off the mainstream.

And it's not necessarily bad to be mainstream, if you have just moved mainstream to you (like how grunge exploded back then). But I feel it's them that have moved towards mainstream, and making less interesting music.

Pearl Jam are definitely indie in the DIY sense, no argument there.

Peace
    Dan
    "YOU [humans] NEED TO BELIEVE IN THINGS THAT AREN'T TRUE. HOW ELSE CAN THEY BECOME?" - Death

"Every judgment teeters on the brink of error. To claim absolute knowledge is to become monstrous. Knowledge is an unending adventure at the edge of uncertainty." - Frank Herbert, Dune, 1965
  • Options
    I don't care if they are popular. I do get a sense of pride like someone said when at a festival they wreck it compared to other bands. I do like the idea of more people getting exposed to PJ because of popularity, but there are other ways. Rest assured when they weren't popular there were people like me working in a Tower records playing their records, doin my part :)

I've never understood the whole they got weirder after Yield. I know people who think they got weird or less accessible with No Code, after Binaural, etc. I don't think PJ writes a song for any other goal then to make great music that effects people. Just because they have more mainstream success again doesn't mean they wrote the music to be more accessible, perhaps it just worked out that way. The album I listen to the most these days is Riot Act, didn't sell well, didn't have much in the way of hits, and a lot of "diehard" PJ fans think it sucks, think it's quirkier than others, I don't see that. I don't see that the Avocado is more accessible than Riot Act, but it is was way more popular.I like them both a lot, what's that mean? :p I kinda understand the instinct of liking something less the more popular it becomes, but overall it doesn't quite make sense to me. I've had debates with people who love music and say well this album's better because it's more complex, or musically it's more layered or whatever reason they use to say "it's better" to validate there own opinion. What I say to these people is bullshit. You like it because YOU LIKE IT! You don't "choose" to like an album or a song or a band, you just do. It speaks to you in some way, inspires you, gets your ass shakin or whatever. If it doesn't than it doesn't. Does that mean the band sold out or on the flip side they've gone experimental, no. It means it didn't speak to you, capture you, etc.

I think sometimes people think too much and over analyze art instead of just riding the wave ;) Me included, you people keep gettin me all riled up :p
    Oh, if I knew where it was, I would take you there, but there's much more than this.
    Ooooh. Whoooa, much more than this. Woooh see the world. Much more than... Oooh, much more than.. Why?
  • Options
    I'm proud because I wish them success, when I was younger maybe I wanted them for myself and Vs, Yield and then Vitalogy remain my favourites even after listening to Backspacer and loving it big time.

I know some of us wish they'd stay under the radar but it must be quite frustrating when you produce and album and it's only your fan base that buys it. Yes you'll say they should be grateful for that but they want to break out and I can't knock them for that.

I don't think Backspacer is some cynical exercise to make PJ massive again, it's just where they are now in their lives, I'm not saying they won't experiment or get dark and angry again, I'm sure they have the potential to make more challenging albums again but Backspacer is a breath of fresh air after the angry vibe of the previous album.

I thought Severed Hand was awesome and allot of S/T was very good but it's full of anger, seeing them make an album with joy and a positive vibe does make me smile.

I haven't been able to devote my life to seeing them, I've only seen them twice now but as I've said before I don't measure my passion of this band or any other group by what I spend on their merchandise, tickets. I seriously couldn't afford to do what some of you do, quite allot is more important than Pearl Jam or any of my favourite bands that laying out serious capital on a band is not top of my list but the way I feel about PJ in my heart and mind is where I measure my passion not in my pocket.

Seeing I've been a fan since buying Ten in early 92 when it first was released in the UK and have stuck with them with every album and stood in their corner many times, yes I am proud.
  • Options
    dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam NINUNINOPRO Posts: 139,158
    THERE ARE SO FUCKIN POPULAR IN MY HEART!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • Options
    dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam NINUNINOPRO Posts: 139,158
    taste better all the ways ;)
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • Options
    ChrisileinChrisilein Vienna/Austria Posts: 3,878
    BS changes nothing for me! I love PJ from the beginning and every single song can change a bad day into a beautiful one!! I have this feeling everyday in the morning, while driving to work and listening to a bootleg or now BS! So, i am proud that i am able to be a part of this! I am proud to be a PJ-freak and it makes me happy to convert somebody who had nothing to do with PJ and now can't live without their music!!!
    up here in my tree in Vienna
    2006: Vienna 2009: Berlin 2010: London ~ Berlin 2012: Amsterdam 1+2 ~ Werchter ~ Arras ~ Berlin 1+2
    2014: Milano ~ Trieste ~ Vienna ~ Berlin 2018: Padova ~ Rome 2022: Budapest ~ Vienna
    EV London/Hammersmith 2012
    EV Berlin/Zitadelle 2017