Options

Will Backspacer be the #1 record next week?

vedpunkvedpunk Posts: 822
edited September 2009 in The Porch
Just curious what you all think? Pearl jam will have to unseat Jay Z's new album, which sold 298,000 copies this week. I think they can do it!
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    without question!
    Toledo '96, Cleveland '98, Columbus '00, Cleveland '03, Toledo '04
    Washington D.C. '04, London '05,Hamilton '05,Grand Rapids '06,
    Cleveland '06, Detroit '06,Pittsburgh '06,Cincinnati '06,Chicago '07
    NYC '08, NYC '08, Chicago '09, Chicago '09, ACL '09, Columbus 2010, Noblesville 2010, Cleveland 2010, Buffalo 2010.
  • Options
    How did the new Muse and Thrice albums do?
  • Options
    I think there's a really good chance.

I mean PJ has had the #1 record on itunes since Sunday. And itunes is the #1 music retailer in the business now, so I'd say that's a good indication that Backspacer could debut at #1.
    MSG 7/8-7/9/03 -- Boston 9/28/04 -- Hartford 5/13/06 -- Boston 5/24-5/25/06 -- MSG 6/24-6/25/08 -- Hartford 6/27/08 -- Philly 10/31/09 -- Hartford 5/15/10 -- Boston 5/17/10
  • Options
    1STmammal2wearPants1STmammal2wearPants Worcester, MA Posts: 2,834
    seeing that no one could find the fucking thing at target on sunday, maybe not :)
    2003 Mansfield III 
    2004 Boston I 
    2006 Boston I 
    2008 Bonnaroo, Hartford, Mansfield I 
    2010 Hartford 
    2013 Worcester I, Worcester II, Hartford 
    2016 Bonnaroo, Boston I, Boston II 
    2018 Boston I, Boston II 
    2021 Sea.Hear.Now
    2022 Camden
    2024 Boston I, Boston II
  • Options
    DH62179DH62179 Posts: 312
    It would be nice...I think the stars are aligning so to speak, Jay-Z and Whitney should be slowing down a little you'd think, I'm thinking they could do in the 150-200K range based on its availability. I think if it'd been available everywhere they would sell a lot more, maybe like Avocado did but who knows.
  • Options
    I don't think so. And I think the Target deal could be the reason why. I remember, I think it was either the Eagles or AC/DC, who were denied the number one slot because of their exclusive deal with Wal-Mart. And I also don't think that the 10C sales would count for billboard.
    Rock me Jesus, roll me Lord...
    Wash me in the blood of Rock & Roll
  • Options
    "Chinese Democracy" sold 261,000 copies in the U.S. in the first week following its release as an exclusive at Best Buy stores"

It was #3 on billboard that week. So you can sell 200K+ at one store. However, people go into Best Buy to buy cds specifically. Not so much at Target.

There was more hype with the Pearl Jam record, but more build up for GNR. Although negative reviews for Chinese Democracy were about the same as positive ones for Backspacer.

My guess is it moves about as many as last time

"With the Number Two debut of their J Records self-titled new album and first week sales of 279,564 units, Pearl Jam have set a new chart record. "
    New screenname for the new site. At least for now. Previously Lackofdave
    Blogging at <a href="http://www.dadtherapy.com">Dad Therapy</a>
  • Options
    10c preorders count.
    Target gets a whole week to findd the shipment and get it out onto the shelves.
    iTunes counts.
    I'm not sure anything major is being released this week.
    Whitney Houston could creep into the picture but I think the current surge is from the Oprah show and that will fizzle out.
    I wonder what the AIC effect will be the following week. Will it drown out Backspacer like Tool did to Avocado? Or will AIC purchasers grab a copy of Backspacer as well?
    Up here so high I start to shake, Up here so high the sky I scrape, I've no fear but for falling down, So look out below I am falling now, Falling down,...not staying down, Could’ve held me up, rather tear me down, Drown in the river
  • Options
    DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,412
    I wonder what the AIC effect will be the following week. Will it drown out Backspacer like Tool did to Avocado? Or will AIC purchasers grab a copy of Backspacer as well?

You really think Tool purchasers "drowned out" the sales for PJ's last album?
  • Options
    dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam NINUNINOPRO Posts: 139,158
    YES!!!!!!11
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • Options
    NO!

and, i will bet any of you any amount of money on it. PM me if interested
    You may have seen me:
    Cleveland 5/20/2006
    Pittsburgh 6/23/2006
    Columbia 6/16/2008
    Bristow 5/13/2010
  • Options
    DewieCox wrote:

yeah, i don't think so. if anything, having two "grunge" albums coming out will boost one another - ie, if i go to the store to buy AIC, i might just pick up PJ too.
  • Options
    DewieCox wrote:

Tool sold 2m in a pretty short amount of time and stole all of the headlines. In that business, there is a huge gap between #1 and #2 with regards to how the headlines and media attention play out.
    Up here so high I start to shake, Up here so high the sky I scrape, I've no fear but for falling down, So look out below I am falling now, Falling down,...not staying down, Could’ve held me up, rather tear me down, Drown in the river
  • Options
    I don't think so, you have no idea how bad Target screwed this one, you will have much better understanding once you see this weeks sales numbers...

Also, Muse is opening for U2 this week so their album could get additional sales if fans dug their performance.
  • Options
    Indifference71Indifference71 Chicago Posts: 14,736
    arthurdent wrote:
    I don't think so. And I think the Target deal could be the reason why. I remember, I think it was either the Eagles or AC/DC, who were denied the number one slot because of their exclusive deal with Wal-Mart. And I also don't think that the 10C sales would count for billboard.

Target would not be the reason why. I'm almost positive that both AC/DC and the Eagles had gigantic first week sales when those albums came out.
  • Options
    Remember, also, Target has continual TV ads. We never had TV advertising before. Sept/Oct are huge months for sports and ESPN is playing a lot of Backspacer. ESPN is "E"verybody's "S"ports and "P"earl jam "N"etwork.
  • Options
    yeah, i don't think this album will fall short on sales b/c of the target deal. i went to the target closest to the Ohio State campus yesterday (largest undergrad enrollment in the USA). they had it prominently displayed on an end cap with both the CD's and Vinyl. I asked the guy at teh electronics desk about the shirts, he said they were all gone aside from one medium within an hour or so of being brought up from the back.

i don't know if it'll be #1, but i garan dam tee it'll outsell everything PJ's done since Yield.
  • Options
    It'll be #1. Jay-Z is only competition and it will have been out 3 weeks. PJ will sell between 250k and 350k and have the number one album.

Count on it!
    "Darkness comes in waves, tell me, why invite it to stay?"
  • Options
    the fact that it came out on Sunday is pretty strange. i wonder how that will affect sales. Do they just count sales from a week from sunday or do they just add 2 days and start from tuesday?
  • Options
    Its already #1 at itunes and it's only been there for 2 days.
    NYC '08, NYC '08, Chicago '09, Chicago '09, ACL '09, Columbus 2010, Noblesville 2010, Cleveland 2010, Buffalo 2010.
  • Options
    seeing that no one could find the fucking thing at target on sunday, maybe not :)

I found it just fine!
  • Options

I found it just fine!

Same here. I used the list at pearljam.com/backspacer and drove to the target where they had the t-shirt, the white vinyl and the CD.
    Presidential Advice from President-Elect Mike McCready: "Are you getting something out of this all encompassing trip?"
  • Options
    I think Backspacer has a good chance of becoming the #1 album this week.
    It has to sell around 200.000 copies for this. With Itunes, Target, 10-Club and Independent Store sales there is a chance for it, but it could be a close race with JAY-Z.
    So you americans, storm out and buy a copy for your friends or family ;)
  • Options
    arthurdent wrote:

Target would not be the reason why. I'm almost positive that both AC/DC and the Eagles had gigantic first week sales when those albums came out.

Pearl Jam, technically, doesnt have a 'single retailer' exclusive deal. They are allowing about 600-700 other CIRS affiliates to retail the disc as well. Also, the rules have changed since the Eagles disc and now single retailer sales do count.
  • Options
    KatKat There's a lot to be said for nowhere. Posts: 4,772
    Falling down,...not staying down
  • Options
    i'm hearing about this album from non PJ fans, plus i think the GA shows from recent years is ramping up their visibility too. Plus the lack of politics keeps a lot of people from shutting it out.

i think it will beat ST, which will be enough to make it number one.
  • Options
    gndcd402gndcd402 Posts: 2,558
    Kat wrote:
    GO MUSE!!!!!!
  • Options
    Kat wrote:

This record will surprise and amaze. Oh yes. It will surprise and amaze.
  • Options
    igotid88igotid88 Posts: 27,323
    Kat wrote:

Yea I got that in the mail today. I'm hoping for 500k.
    I miss igotid88
  • Options
    DH62179DH62179 Posts: 312
    arthurdent wrote:

Pearl Jam, technically, doesnt have a 'single retailer' exclusive deal. They are allowing about 600-700 other CIRS affiliates to retail the disc as well. Also, the rules have changed since the Eagles disc and now single retailer sales do count.

Right, I remember they changed the rules mid-week when The Eagles' last album was released the same week as Britney Spears' comeback album, kind of like they didn't want her to have a number one album. I remember thinking that old rule was stupid at the time, considering they tripled her sales that week.