Options

Bloomberg News Service Review

Black DiamondBlack Diamond Posts: 25,107
edited September 2009 in The Porch
Who knew they had a reviewer?

Pearl Jam Blends Metallica, Led Zep on Fiery CD Return: Review
2009-09-21 23:00:01.1 GMT

Review by Mark Beech
Sept. 22 (Bloomberg) -- Take a dash of Led Zeppelin, add a touch of Rolling Stones and a garnish of Nirvana. Season with some Metallica and simmer for 36 minutes. This is the recipe for Pearl Jam’s comeback album “Backspacer.”
The band emerged from the Seattle scene to make its name in the 1990s. It has sold more than 60 million records worldwide, half of them in the U.S. Singer Eddie Vedder and his cohorts have to somehow persuade the world of their continued relevance as they mark the act’s 20th anniversary with a ninth studio album, reissued back catalog and an international tour.
“Backspacer,” named for an old typewriter key, signifies a move back to the basics of Pearl Jam’s grunge glory days. A few tracks do indeed backfire, ending before they have hardly begun, though this recording is still four steps forward and only one back.
The opening quartet of songs is a blaze of rough guitars and vocal fire. On “The Fixer” and “Johnny Guitar,” the album rises above its influences to offer Pearl Jam’s finest work since the debut, “Ten,” which sold 12 million copies.
Just don’t expect another epic, like the powerful
“Black”: Many pieces are barely three minutes long, shorn of every indulgence except for strings on the ballad “Just Breathe.” “Backspacer” can be safely filed in the much- overdone category “return to form.”
The CD’s prime asset is Vedder. His often-expressed view that he’s no mere entertainer can get irritating, yet it makes for heartfelt listening. Those lucky enough to have seen Vedder in concert know he still sings from the heart: “Stay with me/ Let’s just breathe.”
Rating: ***1/2.
GoiMTvP.gif
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    Dead Man WalkingDead Man Walking Toronto-ish Posts: 2,761
    Looks like the Report On Business guy had to fill in for the music critique today...

worst review yet. And not because of the score, but the lack of knowledge this guy has...over under on his age is 53.

Any takers?
  • Options
    yeah, that was painfully hilarious

"you're livin' in the past man!" :)
    “I know this song so well, I can smoke a cigarette, have a drink, brush my teeth, take a shit, and mow the lawn while singing it. But I'll only be doing a couple of those things during this version.”
  • Options
    HeavyHandsHeavyHands Posts: 2,130
    "The CD’s prime asset is Vedder."

Honestly... I think it's a tie between eV and the Rhythm section. Cameron and Ament absolutely kill on this album.
    "A lot more people are capable of being big out there that just don't give themselves a chance." -Stone Gossard
  • Options
    I thought it was a good review.
    5/28/06, 6/27/08, 10/28/09, 5/18/10, 5/21/10
    8/7/08, 6/9/09
  • Options
    That was absolutely awful. I hope they never write a review again.
    5/28/06 - Camden, NJ
    5/30/06 - Washington, DC
    6/22/08 - Washington, DC
    10/31/09 - Philadelphia, PA
    8/5/16 - Fenway Park
    Temple of the Dog - 11/5/2016 - Philadelphia, PA
    7/1/2018 - Prague
    7/3/2018 - Kraków
    7/5/2018 - Berlin
  • Options
    By the way, this review was 3 1/2 out of 4 stars.
  • Options
    By the way, this review was 3 1/2 out of 4 stars.

That's not why I find it to be a useless and horrible review. It's terrible because, like so many others, it refuses to look at the album for what it is. It's only comparing it to past work or the music of other bands. And sure, that is not always bad in and of itself. However I find it disrespectful to fans, because it assumes a sort of childhood fantasy where all we want are rehashed versions of Ten/Vs. It really presumes that we are single-layered music fans whose musical taste can't possibly evolve and enjoy something for what it is. The assumption that we only see certain music through the lens of 1991 just really annoys me.

And yes, I realize these reviews aren't aimed towards fans who are passionate about a band like am with PJ, but still. As the guys on NFL countdown say "C'mon man!"

There is my rant. That is why I hate reviews like this, even if they are ultimately positive in their opinion of the album.
    5/28/06 - Camden, NJ
    5/30/06 - Washington, DC
    6/22/08 - Washington, DC
    10/31/09 - Philadelphia, PA
    8/5/16 - Fenway Park
    Temple of the Dog - 11/5/2016 - Philadelphia, PA
    7/1/2018 - Prague
    7/3/2018 - Kraków
    7/5/2018 - Berlin
  • Options
    bigbadbillbigbadbill Posts: 1,758
    Take a dash of Led Zeppelin, add a touch of Rolling Stones and a garnish of Nirvana. Season with some Metallica and simmer for 36 minutes. This is the recipe for Pearl Jam’s comeback album “Backspacer.”

Maybe a bit of Led Zeppelin, but I don't know where he was able to get Nirvana and Metallica from.
    11/6/95, 11/18/97, 7/13/98, 7/14/98, 10/24/00, 10/25/00, 10/28/00, 6/2/03, 6/3/03, 6/5/03, 7/6/06, 7/7/06, 7/9/06, 7/10/06, 7/13/06, 7/15/06, 7/16/06, 7/18/06, 10/21/06, 4/10/08, 4/13/08, 9/30/09, 10/1/09, 10/6/09, 10/7/09, 10/9/09
  • Options
    HeavyHands wrote:
    "The CD’s prime asset is Vedder."

Honestly... I think it's a tie between eV and the Rhythm section. Cameron and Ament absolutely kill on this album.

I will always, always vote for Ed ... but, yeah, Jeff and Matt are in a different universe on this thing.
    everybody wants the most they can possibly get
    for the least they could possibly do