Options

New/Evolved/Rehashed? Where does Backspacer fit?

Belief in the GameBelief in the Game Posts: 10
edited September 2009 in The Porch
First of all... we GOT A NEW ALBUM!!! That's awesome in itself.

Now, there's going to be all kind of comparisons.

It's too cliche to say this is a revolution, an evolution, or even rehash. It's a band being precicely who they are, and making the music they want. You can tell that they are playing what they want to hear. It doesn't seem any more complex than that.

From a music standpoint, you can actually smell pieces from prior albums in the songwriting and arrangements... come on listen to "Mankind" and "Supersonic" back to back. You can hear the songwriter who recently did the "Into the Wild Soundtrack."

You can hear the band who went nuts with layered Soundscaping in Binaural in this album
You can hear that evolving not quite grungy guitar tone with the amps that Mike's been recording with
You can hear the Sabbath fan in a few of the riffy solo parts
You get a lot of themes from the B-sides/unreleased stuff in the lyrics - almost like Jeff's songwriting has rubbed of on Ed a little
and most importantly --- tell me if I'm crazy - I feel Stone having a serious creative impact on this album.

The beauty is - PJ fans know what I'm talking about. when you know a band so well, and when you have been impacted by their music... it's impossible NOT to make comparisons, and at the same time almost unfair.

We'll enjoy this album for a long long time!
There's an edge to real rock 'n' roll. It's all that matters.
-Ol' Neil Young