Options

Gonna See my Friend

theoceansmademetheoceansmademe Posts: 1,132
edited September 2009 in The Porch
Does anyone else hear a bit of Soundgarden in this tune?

Spoonman or Outshined?

I think Cornell would do well with Gonna See my Friend.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options

Spoonman or Outshined?

I hear it in the chorus. It's Soundgarden on the chorus, The Ramones on the rest of the song. This is the only song on the album on which PJ really sounds blatantly derivative, but I don't see that as a problem. I like the song quite a bit.
  • Options
    Chords and even the tone in which EV sings some of the lyrics.

No complaints here just something that hit this AM as I drove down the road.
  • Options

Spoonman or Outshined?

100% yes
  • Options
    I can hear the Soundgarden a bit. To be honest, Ed's vocals during the chorus reminded me more of Scott Weiland at first. Not really sure why. The rest of the song doesn't really sound like STP though, so I'm not making that accusation.
    5/28/06 - Camden, NJ
    5/30/06 - Washington, DC
    6/22/08 - Washington, DC
    10/31/09 - Philadelphia, PA
    8/5/16 - Fenway Park
    Temple of the Dog - 11/5/2016 - Philadelphia, PA
    7/1/2018 - Prague
    7/3/2018 - Kraków
    7/5/2018 - Berlin
  • Options
    Definitely some SG in there.

One of my favorites on the album. Gonna be great hearing this in concert!
    Everything has chains...Absolutely nothing's changed. - PJ

“The only way to deal with an unfree world is to become so absolutely free that your very existence is an act of rebellion.” - Albert Camus
  • Options
    davidtriosdavidtrios Posts: 9,732
    I see it more in the bridge of Supersonic.
  • Options
    megatronmegatron Posts: 3,420
    i had superunknown on the other day and me and my roommate we're thinkin see my friend could be on it for sure. nice thread 8-)
  • Options

Spoonman or Outshined?

I hear it in the chorus. It's Soundgarden on the chorus, The Ramones on the rest of the song. This is the only song on the album on which PJ really sounds blatantly derivative, but I don't see that as a problem. I like the song quite a bit.

good summation. upon first listen, i was initially turned off b/c it sounded way too ramones-like for me, and i am not a ramones fan. sure, love a few tunes for the nostalgia of it, but really, was never much into em. also, just hit me as too simplistic lyrically at first, most especially for ed/pj. however, it's starting to grow on me. i find this the case with a few of the tunes on backspacer. i think that the familiarity i feel/hear in some of em is taking me longer to digest and/or appreciate.
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

I am myself like you somehow

• Options
    ever since the verizon snippet came out of this song, i thought it (mainly the chorus) sounded very similar to STP.

i love the song regardless.
  • Options
    GibsonGibson Toronto Posts: 2,531
    RL200920 wrote:

Spoonman or Outshined?

100% yes

+1. Nice catch.
    1998: Barrie  2000: Toronto  2005: Kitchener, London, Hamilton, Toronto  2006: Toronto 1&2, Paris, Milan, Torino, Pistoia  2009: Calgary, Vancouver  2011: Canada  2013: London, Wrigley, Philly 1&2  2014: St. Louis, ACL 1, Detroit  2016: Lexington, Quebec, Ottawa, Toronto 1&2, Fenway 1&2, Wrigley 1&2  2017: EV - Louisville  2018: London 1&2, Milan, Padova, Rome, Prague, Krakow, Berlin, Wrigley 1&2, Fenway 1&2  2020: Toronto, Ottawa, Hamilton  2021: London 1&2  2022: Hamilton, Toronto  2023: Chicago 1&2, Noblesville  2024:

• Options
    My first thoughts as well, sounds like soundgarden.

Thought MC had something to do with it but it was all vedder
    Demented and sad, but social
    Wrigley Earthcam/Hartford 2013
  • Options
    I thought the same thing. Glad to think I'm not alone.

There's another Soundgarden moment on the album, too. That little breakdown in the middle of Supersonic. Yes? No?
    everybody wants the most they can possibly get
    for the least they could possibly do