Will Backspacer go Platinum??

davidtriosdavidtrios Posts: 9,732
edited September 2009 in The Porch
How many copies will Pearl Jam sell? I think it'll sell more than in the past with their deal with Target. Was No Code the last Platinum PJ album?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Target ordered a million copies. Backspacer will be one of the best selling albums of 2009....just like that.
    Toledo '96, Cleveland '98, Columbus '00, Cleveland '03, Toledo '04
    Washington D.C. '04, London '05,Hamilton '05,Grand Rapids '06,
    Cleveland '06, Detroit '06,Pittsburgh '06,Cincinnati '06,Chicago '07
    NYC '08, NYC '08, Chicago '09, Chicago '09, ACL '09, Columbus 2010, Noblesville 2010, Cleveland 2010, Buffalo 2010.
  • DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,411
    Target ordered a million copies. Backspacer will be one of the best selling albums of 2009....just like that.

I don't think it works like that. If it does, I don't think we could realistically call it "platinum selling".

If it was released through traditional means, it wouldn't go platinum, so I don't see the need to delude ourselves.
  • How many copies will Pearl Jam sell? I think it'll sell more than in the past with their deal with Target. Was No Code the last Platinum PJ album?

Yield was, in fact, it sold more than No Code, I believe.
    I am right by your side...
  • If Backspacer sold a million copies to Target, then it indeed would be considered platinum. By the RIAA (?) but not the other certification. I know there is a difference but can't remember now.
  • DewieCox wrote:
    Target ordered a million copies. Backspacer will be one of the best selling albums of 2009....just like that.

I don't think it works like that. If it does, I don't think we could realistically call it "platinum selling".

If it was released through traditional means, it wouldn't go platinum, so I don't see the need to delude ourselves.

I'm afraid that IS how it works...for about 10 years now. Album sales are based on what a record company 'SHIPS' to the retailers. Sorry buddy.
    NYC '08, NYC '08, Chicago '09, Chicago '09, ACL '09, Columbus 2010, Noblesville 2010, Cleveland 2010, Buffalo 2010.
  • asgoodased wrote:
    How many copies will Pearl Jam sell? I think it'll sell more than in the past with their deal with Target. Was No Code the last Platinum PJ album?

Yes, it did.

What was the latest certification on Binaural? I know that came pretty close to 1 million, and that was nearly 10 years ago. I wonder if it has crossed the threshold yet?

Assuming that Target sells the million copies they have apparently agreed to order, it'll be a platinum record *eventually*. But in order to sell them, PJ may need to license Just Breathe for a Vick's vapor rub commercial... :)
  • asgoodased wrote:

Yes, it did.

What was the latest certification on Binaural? I know that came pretty close to 1 million, and that was nearly 10 years ago. I wonder if it has crossed the threshold yet?

Assuming that Target sells the million copies they have apparently agreed to order, it'll be a platinum record *eventually*. But in order to sell them, PJ may need to license Just Breathe for a Vick's vapor rub commercial... :)

This is not accurate. It doesnt matter what the retailer sells it only matters what they buy and when it ships.
  • 1STmammal2wearPants1STmammal2wearPants Worcester, MA Posts: 2,825
    with pearl jam's rate of selling with the last few releases, and the state of cd sales today, i don't see it happening..............
    2003 Mansfield III 
    2004 Boston I 
    2006 Boston I 
    2008 Bonnaroo, Hartford, Mansfield I 
    2010 Hartford 
    2013 Worcester I, Worcester II, Hartford 
    2016 Bonnaroo, Boston I, Boston II 
    2018 Boston I, Boston II 
    2021 Sea.Hear.Now
    2022 Camden
    2024 Boston I, Boston II
  • Adm. Glen ScotiaAdm. Glen Scotia Posts: 180
    edited September 2009

Yes, it did.

This is not accurate. It doesnt matter what the retailer sells it only matters what they buy and when it ships.

Yeah, you are right. This is my bad. RIAA counts shipments, soundscan counts sales. However, the fact that Target agreed to order 1 million doesn't indicate that they have "shipped." Frankly, considering how many Targets don't have the record (seems like people in every state are striking out) we can probably be certain that 1 million haven't shipped.
    Post edited by Adm. Glen Scotia on
  • oh wow alot of posting going on here and no reading.....

BACKSPACER HAS ALREADY SOLD OVER 1 MILLION COPIES BY INDUSTRY STANDARDS!!!!!!!!!

• Yes, it did.

Yeah, you are right. This is my bad. RIAA counts shipments, soundscan counts sales. However, the fact that Target agreed to order 1 million doesn't indicate that they have "shipped." Frankly, considering how many Targets don't have the record (seems like people in every state are striking out) we can probably be certain that 1 million haven't shipped.

-Chaim

I'll save my 'told you so' for next week when billboard prints the list and PJ is at the top w/ over 1 million units sold.
  • Assuming that Target sells the million copies they have apparently agreed to order, it'll be a platinum record *eventually*. But in order to sell them, PJ may need to license Just Breathe for a Vick's vapor rub commercial.

Thanks for making coffee shoot out of my nose and all over my keyboard :lol::lol::lol:
    DewieCox wrote:

I'm afraid that IS how it works...for about 10 years now. Album sales are based on what a record company 'SHIPS' to the retailers. Sorry buddy.

You work in the industry, b/c I don't think that right. What about Neilsen soundscan?
  • WildsWilds Posts: 4,329

I'll save my 'told you so' for next week when billboard prints the list and PJ is at the top w/ over 1 million units sold.

Hope you are right. That would be awesome.
  • I don't think it works like that. If it does, I don't think we could realistically call it "platinum selling".

If it was released through traditional means, it wouldn't go platinum, so I don't see the need to delude ourselves.[/quote]

I'm afraid that IS how it works...for about 10 years now. Album sales are based on what a record company 'SHIPS' to the retailers. Sorry buddy.[/quote]

You work in the industry, b/c I don't think that right. What about Neilsen soundscan?[/quote]

Google it.

I'm afraid that IS how it works...for about 10 years now. Album sales are based on what a record company 'SHIPS' to the retailers. Sorry buddy.[/quote]

You work in the industry, b/c I don't think that right. What about Neilsen soundscan?[/quote]

Google it.[/quote]

OK, I see......

I'm not gonna refer to it as a platinum album, b/c frankly, it won't be.
  • Technically, LOTL was the last album to go platinum. Rearviewmirror may be close...
    www.myspace.com/sharkie002
  • www.riaa.org

that site will answer your questions as well as let you know which records have SHIPPED platinum or multiplatinum.
  • Fender_Man wrote:
    Assuming that Target sells the million copies they have apparently agreed to order, it'll be a platinum record *eventually*. But in order to sell them, PJ may need to license Just Breathe for a Vick's vapor rub commercial.

Thanks for making coffee shoot out of my nose and all over my keyboard :lol::lol::lol:

:) I hope I've done no lasting damage.
  • G ForceG Force Posts: 1,392
    [/quote]

I'll save my 'told you so' for next week when billboard prints the list and PJ is at the top w/ over 1 million units sold.[/quote]

How do you know this?
  • RicsardRicsard Posts: 1,942
    I don't think it will debut at #1 but I am keeping my fingers crossed. More than 200.000 albums sold in the U.S. at the first week would be fine I guess. :ugeek:
    budapest.arnhem.antwerpen.vienna.madrid.katowice.nova_rock.nijmegen.rotterdam.berlin.dublin.belfast.london.venice.prague.stockholm.copenhagen.vienna.leeds.milton_keynes.padova.
    prague.seattle1.seattle2.chicago1
  • Fender_Man wrote:
    Assuming that Target sells the million copies they have apparently agreed to order, it'll be a platinum record *eventually*. But in order to sell them, PJ may need to license Just Breathe for a Vick's vapor rub commercial.

:) I hope I've done no lasting damage.

No, my whole PC area needed an overdue clean anyway. Thanks. ;)
  • NewJPageNewJPage Posts: 3,295
    Wilds wrote:

Hope you are right. That would be awesome.

i wouldn't count on it. I don't think ANY band has sold 1 mil copies in a week in like 5 years. those days are long gone. especially for PJ. nowadays popular debuts are lucky to hit 200k sold in a week.
    6/26/98, 8/17/00, 10/8/00, 12/8/02, 12/9/02, 4/25/03, 5/28/03, 6/1/03, 6/3/03, 6/5/03, 6/6/03, 6/12/03, 6/13/03, 6/15/03, 6/18/03, 6/21/03, 6/22/03, 7/12/03, 7/14/03, 10/3/04, 10/5/04, 9/9/05, 9/11/05, 9/16/05, 5/16/06, 5/17/06, 5/19/06, 6/30/06, 7/23/06, 8/5/07, 6/30/08, 8/23/09, 8/24/09, 5/4/10, 5/7/10, 9/3/11, 9/4/11, 10/11/13, 10/17/14, 8/20/16