Options

Amongst the Waves and Unthought Known (negative)

124»

Comments

• Options
    Ute LewUte Lew West Point, UT Posts: 127
    Stu42 wrote:
    Anyone else think that these are two of the worst songs pearl jams come out with? Neither sounds at all like the band, and not in an experimental kind of way. Just sounds kind of bland really. I do like the lyrics though.

Listening to Waves now and love it. Backspacer is a great fuckin record 1 thru 11.
    • SLC   11/1/95 
    • SLC   11/2/95
    • PC   06/21/98 
    • LV    07/11/98
    • LV    10/22/00
    • MV   10/20/01
    • MV   10/21/01
    • MV   06/01/03
    • IR     06/02/03
    • IR     06/03/03
    • SD   06/05/03
    • LV    06/06/03
    • DN   07/02/06
    • DN   07/03/06
    • LV    07/06/06
    • SD   07/07/06
    • LA    07/09/06
    • LA    07/10/06
    • SLC  09/28/09
    • LA    10/07/09
    • SD    10/09/09
    • BOS 08/07/16
    • MON 08/13/18
    • PHX  05/09/22
    • LV     05/20/22 (Canceled: Fuck you Covid)
  • Options
    why stop at 2 songs? the thread title is missing atleast 3 more :lol:
    "Senza speme vivemo in disio"

http://seanbriceart.com/
  • Options
    dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam NINUNINOPRO Posts: 139,158
    Funny, I was just thinking how this could be their best 1-2 punch this side of In My Tree and Smile.

EarWaxRemoval_2.jpg
    :lol::lol::lol:
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • Options
    yosi wrote:
    HailHailOZ wrote:
    mach271 wrote:
    Force of Nature and the 2 songs mentioned in this thread are the best on the album, along with Got Some...

The rest is forgettable

You are Fucking tripping...surely! Force of Nature is the most boring album filler PJ has put out since 1/2 Full. I'm sure both ATW and Unthought Known will give the lighter holders sore thumbs. I'm gonna assume Brendan O'Brien was responsible for letting some of these ideas through. The lyrics almost save the three of them.

gonna see my friend, got some, the fixer, just breathe, speed of sound, the end... absolute winners!

Come on now, 1/2 Full is one of the best songs the band has ever written!
    +1..1/2 full is one of the best rock song ever..
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • Options
    DeckDeck Posts: 76
    I actually agree. Not in that I don't like them. But as of right now they are two of my least favorite on the album.

The whole album is solid though.
    11/22/93 Little Rock
    07/02/98 St. Louis
    10/12/00 Kansas City
    06/20/09 Memphis (EV)
  • Options
    Indifference71Indifference71 Chicago Posts: 14,741
    I love both of these songs. Especially amongst the waves.
  • Options
    Stu42Stu42 Posts: 178
    Ok. So I've listened more, Amongst the Waves is growing on me quite a bit. I like it. I still don't really get Unthought Known (yes I have a soul = p ). I get the feeling that people who were listening to music in the 80s might get these songs a bit more then I do. Can we at least all agree that these are two of the most mainstream tracks pearl jam's ever done?

And to the person who said that who cares if it doesn't sound like PJ...that wasn't really my point. I want pearl jam to be completely reckless in their experimentation. I want them to get weird and make something that surprises me and blows me away, but I think anyone that listens to PJ can agree that no matter what they do they put their own signature on it and it sounds PJ because of it. I just dont hear that signature I guess.
  • Options
    Stu42 wrote:
    Ok. So I've listened more, Amongst the Waves is growing on me quite a bit. I like it. I still don't really get Unthought Known (yes I have a soul = p ). I get the feeling that people who were listening to music in the 80s might get these songs a bit more then I do. Can we at least all agree that these are two of the most mainstream tracks pearl jam's ever done?

And to the person who said that who cares if it doesn't sound like PJ...that wasn't really my point. I want pearl jam to be completely reckless in their experimentation. I want them to get weird and make something that surprises me and blows me away, but I think anyone that listens to PJ can agree that no matter what they do they put their own signature on it and it sounds PJ because of it. I just dont hear that signature I guess.
    youre backpedaling stu... stay strong

ATW is the cheesiest thing since inside job... both of which are mistaken for masterpieces
    "Senza speme vivemo in disio"

http://seanbriceart.com/
  • Options
    hedavehedave Posts: 201
    Stu42 wrote:
    Anyone else think that these are two of the worst songs pearl jams come out with? Neither sounds at all like the band, and not in an experimental kind of way. Just sounds kind of bland really. I do like the lyrics though.

would have to definitely say you've just had a bad day.
    He who forgets will be destined to remember...
  • Options
    kenny olavkenny olav Posts: 3,323
    Stu42 wrote:

I hear ya, except for the signature part. Amongst the Waves has a big cheesy 80's power ballad chorus, but I can let myself get carried away by it. As for Unthought Known, I think the lyrics and the vocal delivery are great, but musically, it is very bland. These two songs and Force of Nature are the only songs with blandness though... I love the rest of the album. I don't skip any tracks... nothing that EV sings on can bore me too much. But I hope they leave more room for weirdness on the next album.
  • Options
    Stu42Stu42 Posts: 178
    Kenny Olav wrote:
    I hear ya, except for the signature part. Amongst the Waves has a big cheesy 80's power ballad chorus, but I can let myself get carried away by it. As for Unthought Known, I think the lyrics and the vocal delivery are great, but musically, it is very bland. These two songs and Force of Nature are the only songs with blandness though... I love the rest of the album. I don't skip any tracks... nothing that EV sings on can bore me too much. But I hope they leave more room for weirdness on the next album.

I didnt mean to mean that the other songs were bland too, I love the whole album except for those two songs, and the chorus on Force of Nature. Glad to see someone hears what I'm hearing though :D
  • Options
  • Options
    Stu42 wrote:

I think you will come around in a few weeks. If you like Ed Vedder and the songs he writes, I don't think you can stay away from Unthought Known for long. As far as mainstream, I don't think the lyrical content, arrangement or sound is mainstream at all. It is definitely classic Ed though.

I can't believe how many great songs Ed added to his already huge list of brilliant tunes. GSMF, Just Breathe, Unthought Known, and The End fit really nicely beside Corduroy, Porch, Off he Goes, Sad, RVM, Grievnance...

As for Amongst the Waves, I love it and most of my friends are really enjoying it. I'm sorry for people who don't, but music is subjective. Some people hate Sky Blue Sky and Evil Urges and I think they are great. Sometimes you have to let the bands you love change and grow in the way they want to instead of the way you want them to.
  • Options
    EP1973EP1973 Posts: 112
    Seriously, if you folks hate this CD so badly, why not take it to your local record store and trade it in?...no one is forcing you to listen to it. I've like all of PJ's releases to some degree..and nearly all of em have a song or 2 I don't like..but ANY Pearl Jam release is better than 99% of the other music released nowdays. I don't understand why anyone can be so distraught over a cd that they feel the need to get online and whine about it tho. It's not like this band owes me, you, or anyone else a damn thing.
  • Options
    I actually though Unthought Known had the closest ties to the band's back catalogue

I Agree with the above comment, these 2 songs sound AWESOME, very close to early classic PJ! And im all for that! :lol: