Options

Amongst the Waves and Unthought Known (negative)

Comments

• Options
    pearljam10 wrote:
    I said possibly! At least top 5 for me.

;)
  • Options
    Get_RightGet_Right Posts: 12,479
    Stu42 wrote:
    Anyone else think that these are two of the worst songs pearl jams come out with? Neither sounds at all like the band, and not in an experimental kind of way. Just sounds kind of bland really. I do like the lyrics though.
    not sure about the worst, but I don't really like either song
    while I dig eds solo version of unthought known, I dont care for the piano on the studio version at all-it sounds like a coldplay track-seriously-and another song about waves? The only two songs I really dont care for.
  • Options
    Stu42 wrote:
    Anyone else think that these are two of the worst songs pearl jams come out with? Neither sounds at all like the band, and not in an experimental kind of way. Just sounds kind of bland really. I do like the lyrics though.

Nope - sorry. I think Amongst the Waves is going to be huge and Unthought Known is brilliant!
  • Options
    Get_RightGet_Right Posts: 12,479
    neither of them is as bad as Johnny Guitar... what the hell were they thinking?
    see now
    I think Johnny G is the best song on the record
  • Options
    pjhawks wrote:
    no but Unthought Known is possibly the worst song title I've ever seen - what the hell does it mean? at first I thought it was Unthought Unknown which I think sounds cooler but who knows.

and I love Amongst the Waves - my favorite on the album so far.

The Unthought Known
    What then is the “unthought known”? Christopher Bollas first coined this provocative phrase in
    1987 (Bollas, 1987). Basically it refers to what we “know” but for a variety of reasons may not be able
    to think about, have “forgotten”, “act out”, or have an “intuitive sense for” but cannot yet put into words.
    In psychoanalytic terms, it refers to the boundary between the “unconscious” and the “conscious” mind,
    i.e. the “preconscious mind.” In systems-centered terms, it refers to the boundary between what we
    know apprehensively, without words, and what we know, or will allow ourselves to know,
    comprehensively with words. (In many ways, although the methods are very different, the
    psychoanalytic goal of “making the unconscious conscious” is equivalent to the systems-centered goal
    of making the boundary permeable between apprehensive and comprehensive knowledge, .)

If you want to read more about it, you can go here: http://www.michaelrobbinstherapy.com/ar ... ection.pdf
  • Options
    pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,192
    Hatfield78 wrote:
    pjhawks wrote:
    no but Unthought Known is possibly the worst song title I've ever seen - what the hell does it mean? at first I thought it was Unthought Unknown which I think sounds cooler but who knows.

The Unthought Known
    What then is the “unthought known”? Christopher Bollas first coined this provocative phrase in
    1987 (Bollas, 1987). Basically it refers to what we “know” but for a variety of reasons may not be able
    to think about, have “forgotten”, “act out”, or have an “intuitive sense for” but cannot yet put into words.
    In psychoanalytic terms, it refers to the boundary between the “unconscious” and the “conscious” mind,
    i.e. the “preconscious mind.” In systems-centered terms, it refers to the boundary between what we
    know apprehensively, without words, and what we know, or will allow ourselves to know,
    comprehensively with words. (In many ways, although the methods are very different, the
    psychoanalytic goal of “making the unconscious conscious” is equivalent to the systems-centered goal
    of making the boundary permeable between apprehensive and comprehensive knowledge, .)

If you want to read more about it, you can go here: http://www.michaelrobbinstherapy.com/ar ... ection.pdf

ah thanks - that helps me understand it a lot more
  • Options
    mach271mach271 Posts: 562
    Force of Nature and the 2 songs mentioned in this thread are the best on the album, along with Got Some...

The rest is forgettable
  • Options
    TallGuyCM wrote:
    If Unthought Known doesn't strike a chord with you, you might not have a soul. Pure and raw emotion, not unlike Given to Fly.

Completly agree with this. First time I heard it, I was just overcome with intense emotion. This one really hits me, and it only keeps getting stronger.

As for ATW, it wasn't love at first listen, but it's definitely growing on me.

The fact the album is technically only 1 day old, and I already feel this strongly about a lot of songs is really saying something.
    He floated back down 'cause he wanted to share, his key to the locks on the chains he saw everywhere.
  • Options
    mach271 wrote:
    Force of Nature and the 2 songs mentioned in this thread are the best on the album, along with Got Some...

The rest is forgettable

You are Fucking tripping...surely! Force of Nature is the most boring album filler PJ has put out since 1/2 Full. I'm sure both ATW and Unthought Known will give the lighter holders sore thumbs. I'm gonna assume Brendan O'Brien was responsible for letting some of these ideas through. The lyrics almost save the three of them.

gonna see my friend, got some, the fixer, just breathe, speed of sound, the end... absolute winners!
  • Options
    Amongst the Waves is ok. Its the type of PJ song soccer moms would like as they are riding high on their prozac. For me it works as a song I'll play driving to the beach or walking my dog.

Unthought Known... now that song is fantastic.
  • Options
    dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam NINUNINOPRO Posts: 139,151
    call the police..people open these kind of threat must be in jail
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • Options
    markin ballmarkin ball Posts: 1,066
    edited September 2009
    I really like Amongst the Waves. It's a bit formulaic, but that's cool. My wife characterized it well when she suggested it sounds like a song that would be in the "montage" or "turning point" in an eighties movie. "Imagine a group of quirky college student characters, now buckling down and working hard on a final project, in order to show the Dean they deserve to graduate despite three and a half years of goofing off and underachieving. And in the end they realize it doesn't even matter if they graduate because they now know, in their heart of hearts, that they can do it!" :lol:
    Post edited by markin ball on
    "First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, then you win ."

"With our thoughts we make the world"
  • Options
    bicyclejoebicyclejoe USA Posts: 1,107
    Couldn't disagree more.
    +1
    My Pearl Jam Road: 10/22/90 Seattle | 12/22/90 Seattle, Moore Theater | 9/29/92 Seattle, Magnusson Park, Drop in the Park | 9/5/93 The Gorge, with Neil Young and Blind Melon | 7/20/06 Portland, Arlene Schnitzer Concert Hall with Sleater-Kinney | 7/22/06 The Gorge, 10/21/06 Mountain View, Shoreline Ampitheatre, Bridge School Benefit | 9/21/09 Seattle | 9/22/09 Seattle | 9/26/09 Portland, OR | 7/14/2011 Eddie Vedder, Portland, OR | 11/29/13 Portland, OR
  • Options
    pjhawks wrote:
    Hatfield78 wrote:
    pjhawks wrote:

The Unthought Known

ah thanks - that helps me understand it a lot more

:D:D:D:D

Wait....really????
  • Options
    call the police..people open these kind of threat must be in jail

I AGREE!!
  • Options
    these are my two favorite songs on the album lol
  • Options
    Funny, I was just thinking how this could be their best 1-2 punch this side of In My Tree and Smile.

EarWaxRemoval_2.jpg
  • Options
    DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,412
    I don't think Amongst the Waves is anything special, but it's a good song. It's been totally overblown since a review of it said it sounded like GTF, which it doesn't really at all.
  • Options
    yosiyosi NYC Posts: 2,613
    HailHailOZ wrote:
    mach271 wrote:

The rest is forgettable

You are Fucking tripping...surely! Force of Nature is the most boring album filler PJ has put out since 1/2 Full. I'm sure both ATW and Unthought Known will give the lighter holders sore thumbs. I'm gonna assume Brendan O'Brien was responsible for letting some of these ideas through. The lyrics almost save the three of them.

gonna see my friend, got some, the fixer, just breathe, speed of sound, the end... absolute winners!

Come on now, 1/2 Full is one of the best songs the band has ever written!
    you couldn't swing if you were hangin' from a palm tree in a hurricane

• Options
    pjhawks wrote:

It's actually a term from psycology. Ed didn't make it up.

http://committedparent.wordpress.com/20 ... ght-known/
    everybody wants the most they can possibly get
    for the least they could possibly do
  • Options
    RicsardRicsard Posts: 1,942
    POINTLESS THREAD OF THE DAY, sorry, it's a stupid question... :evil:
    budapest.arnhem.antwerpen.vienna.madrid.katowice.nova_rock.nijmegen.rotterdam.berlin.dublin.belfast.london.venice.prague.stockholm.copenhagen.vienna.leeds.milton_keynes.padova.
    prague.seattle1.seattle2.chicago1
  • Options
    Are you listening to the same songs the rest of us are ??

I get chills just thinking about them opening a show with Unthought Known.
  • Options
    Vedd HeddVedd Hedd Posts: 4,429
    I kinda hear Wishlist when I hear Unthought Known. Also, some present tense?

Comparisons between Given to Fly and Waves has already been made.

In that regard, the are very pearl jam sounding. But they are also their own songs.
    Near to death.
    Here to die.
    Scared alive.
  • Options
    I swear, if the band had recorded "Alive" on this album, we would see the same people who hate "Amongst the Waves" complaining about that song.
    San Diego 10/25/00
    Irvine 6/03/03
    Los Angeles 7/9/06
    Los Angeles 7/10/06
    Los Angeles 7/12/08 (VH1 Rock Honors the Who)
    Los Angeles 10/01/09
    Los Angeles 4/12/08 (EV solo)
    Los Angeles 10/06/09
    MSG 5/20/10
    San Diego 7/5/11 (EV solo)
    Los Angeles 11/23/13
    Los Angeles 11/24/13
    Sao Paulo, Brazil 11/14/15
  • Options
    Stu42 wrote:

I totally agree with this. It's a little early for me to say they're two of the worst PJ songs....but I totally think they're bland and uninspired.
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • Options
    Ledbetterman10Ledbetterman10 Posts: 16,725
    edited September 2009
    I swear, if the band had recorded "Alive" on this album, we would see the same people who hate "Amongst the Waves" complaining about that song.

I totally disagree with this. You're talking as if people who aren't all that impressed with Amongst the Waves have a vendetta or just want to be haters. I guess that's your logic since you're saying that people would hate Alive if it came out today. There's nothing special about Amongst the Waves in my opinion. And I'd keep that opinion to myself if there weren't people calling it "epic" like it's Stairway to Heaven or something.
    Post edited by Ledbetterman10 on
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
  • Options
    Couldn't disagree more.

ditto.
    * Camden, NJ - Tweeter Center at the Waterfront - May 28, 2006
    * Camden, NJ - Susquehanna Bank Center - Jun 20, 2008
    * Philadelphia, PA - Wachovia Spectrum Arena - Oct 28, 2009
    * New York, NY - Madison Square Garden - May 21, 2010

• Options

I totally disagree with this. You're talking as if people who aren't all that impressed with Amongst the Waves have a vendetta or just want to be haters. I guess that's your logic since you're saying that people would hate Alive if it came out today. There's nothing special about Amongst the Waves in my opinion. And I'd keep that opinion to myself if there weren't people calling it "epic" like it's Stairway to Heaven or something.

That's not my logic, really - it seems, though, that people are reacting negatively to Amongst the Waves because it has that wide-open, anthemic - dare I say "feel-good" chorus to it - much the same way "Alive" did. And as dangerous as the Ten album felt at the time, that song had "radio" written all over it. Which, to me, is not a bad thing. I look at "Amongst the Waves" the same way, and it seems that some of those accessible elements of the song are what turn some people off.

And I'd have to disagree with your assessment that the song is "uninspired." While the music admittedly doesn't cover any avant-garde ground, when a man is singing that he feels like he has "a soul that has been saved" and that he can "put away (his) early grave," it sounds like he's inspired to me.
    San Diego 10/25/00
    Irvine 6/03/03
    Los Angeles 7/9/06
    Los Angeles 7/10/06
    Los Angeles 7/12/08 (VH1 Rock Honors the Who)
    Los Angeles 10/01/09
    Los Angeles 4/12/08 (EV solo)
    Los Angeles 10/06/09
    MSG 5/20/10
    San Diego 7/5/11 (EV solo)
    Los Angeles 11/23/13
    Los Angeles 11/24/13
    Sao Paulo, Brazil 11/14/15
  • Options
    im with stu 8-)

BEST THREAD EVA
    "Senza speme vivemo in disio"

http://seanbriceart.com/
  • Options
    Ledbetterman10Ledbetterman10 Posts: 16,725
    edited September 2009

That's not my logic, really - it seems, though, that people are reacting negatively to Amongst the Waves because it has that wide-open, anthemic - dare I say "feel-good" chorus to it - much the same way "Alive" did. And as dangerous as the Ten album felt at the time, that song had "radio" written all over it. Which, to me, is not a bad thing. I look at "Amongst the Waves" the same way, and it seems that some of those accessible elements of the song are what turn some people off.

And I'd have to disagree with your assessment that the song is "uninspired." While the music admittedly doesn't cover any avant-garde ground, when a man is singing that he feels like he has "a soul that has been saved" and that he can "put away (his) early grave," it sounds like he's inspired to me.

Well I suppose I should be more specific because I haven't paid any attention to Backspacer's lyrics yet. To me, the music sounds uninspired. It's sort of a Love Boat Captain re-write.

And I also gotta say that I don't think it'd make that good of a radio song. I think the casual listener would get bored with it (heck, I'm an obsessed listener and I get bored with it). I think Got Some would make the better second single just because it's some in-your-face rock that's short and to the point.
    Post edited by Ledbetterman10 on

Pearl Jam bootlegs: