Amongst the Waves and Unthought Known (negative)

Comments

• I think this is a joke, or just to get reaction, or someone always has to be the outcast just because..
  • Stu42 wrote:
    Anyone else think that these are two of the worst songs pearl jams come out with? Neither sounds at all like the band, and not in an experimental kind of way. Just sounds kind of bland really. I do like the lyrics though.

Yeah, this is pretty retarted.

But that' s the response you were going for. Wasn"t it?
    everybody wants the most they can possibly get
    for the least they could possibly do
  • yosiyosi NYC Posts: 2,612
    I'll bite.

Unthought Known is ok. Definitely not my least favorite on the album but not my favorite either.

I'm having a lot of trouble deciding whether or not I like Amongst the Waves. There are certain parts of the song I really dig, and its probably the song that's been stuck in my head the most, but its not exactly in a good way. I find aspects of the song extremely poppy (in a bad way) and I really just can't make up my mind yet on if I like the song or not. Kind of a mixed bag I guess. I think it might have worked better if it was a little faster.
    you couldn't swing if you were hangin' from a palm tree in a hurricane

• Stu42 wrote:
    Anyone else think that these are two of the worst songs pearl jams come out with? Neither sounds at all like the band, and not in an experimental kind of way. Just sounds kind of bland really. I do like the lyrics though.

That's just plain crazy-talk! :roll:
  • dustinparduedustinpardue Las Vegas, NV Posts: 1,829
    yeahh, I'm going to have to go ahead and sortof disagree with you there.

yyyeah, i'm going to go ahead and have you come in on Sunday too. We lost some people this week and we have to play catch up.
    "All I Ever Knew" available now in print and digital formats at Amazon, Barnes & Noble, and iBooks.
  • pdalowskypdalowsky Doncaster,UK Posts: 14,680
    Is this a wind up?
  • aNiMaLaNiMaL Posts: 7,118
    Stu42 wrote:
    Nope, not really feelin' ya on this one.
  • Stu42 wrote:

They're actually my two favorite songs on the album. The first time listening to Backspacer, when I heard the first few guitar notes of Unthought Known I said to myself ... 'goddammit another f***ing WISHLIST'? But man, I couldn't have been more wrong.

If Unthought Known doesn't strike a chord with you, you might not have a soul. Pure and raw emotion, not unlike Given to Fly.
  • "This negative energy just makes me stronger." :D
  • South of SeattleSouth of Seattle West Seattle Posts: 10,708
    Unthought Known is a Classic Pearl Jam song.

Amongst The Waves on the other hand is a little weak lyrically to me. The music sound great, lyrics . . Eh :?
    NERDS!
  • aNiMaLaNiMaL Posts: 7,118
    Unthought Known is a Classic Pearl Jam song.
    Agreed! A FANTASTIC Pearl Jam song!!!
  • Stu42 wrote:

I am not sure I can give any credence to an argument stating "neither sounds at all like the band" as a reason to dislike a song. Why does Pearl Jam need to "sound" a certain way? Why can't they just make good music. And, frankly, I'd much prefer seeing them doing songs that stretch their boundaries than staying in a safe zone.

And, that being said, I think the two songs you mention, Amongst the Waves and Unthought Known, may soundd more like Pearl Jam than any other songs on the record. Especially ATW. Unthought Known reminds me of Faithfull and Present Tense, mostly, but at the same time also has a certain unique quality that I can't put my finger on yet.

OIh, yeah, and I disagree. Two of the best tracks on the album. Especially Unthought Known.
  • RiggRigg Posts: 11
    wow dude, you're kidding. Unthought known is my favorite track......get off the drugs man. As for not sounding like PJ at all, the start sounds a little like wishlist, but then goes somewhere different, into a way better song. This is an awesome track, has a beautifull message and the voice....the voice, you go Ed.
    a man lies in his bed in a room with no door, he waits hoping for a presence, something, anything to enter....after half my life....pearl jam came along :)
  • UUhhhh Buuuhh???? My favorite song tied with breathe. Maybe a little poppy. But PJ poppy has more soul and depth that 99.9% of the shit pop out there.
    11/02/00 06/01/03 10/25/03 03/18/05 09/01/05 09/02/05 07/07/06 07/22/06 07/23/06 10/21/06 09/25/09 09/26/09 10/07/09 10/09/09
  • Zidane wrote:
    Stu42 wrote:

HAHAHAHA!!! It's a joke, right???

"Just sounds kind of bland really"??? Wow, I've seen everything today... I think that those songs are some of the most solid songs that PJ have done in a while. I get chills every time I hear them!

I guess it's your opinion but I seriously think that you should get some headset, sit down and listen to them again... 'cause I totally disagree with you!

+10,000
  • ChrisileinChrisilein Vienna/Austria Posts: 3,877
    Amongst the Waves and Unthought Known are absolutely great!!!
    Never read a sillier Topic....
    up here in my tree in Vienna
    2006: Vienna 2009: Berlin 2010: London ~ Berlin 2012: Amsterdam 1+2 ~ Werchter ~ Arras ~ Berlin 1+2
    2014: Milano ~ Trieste ~ Vienna ~ Berlin 2018: Padova ~ Rome 2022: Budapest ~ Vienna
    EV London/Hammersmith 2012
    EV Berlin/Zitadelle 2017
  • No negativity here.. Those are the best two songs on the entire album In my humble opinion.
  • SpagsSpags Leigh-on-Sea, UK Posts: 2,924
    I've heard worse tbh, like pretty much every time I put on the radio...
    Nature drunk and High
  • FirstExitFirstExit Los Angeles Posts: 972
    Hey guys, I keep hearing this song that I think is by Pearl Jam. It's like "Yellow Ledbetter" or something. I looked it up and it's not listed on any of their albums. Was this song meant for Backspacer and we didn't get it?? It's verrrry good. Thanks alot fellas!
  • Stu42 wrote:

Fail.

I lol'd at this.

But I completely disagree with the OP. Amazing song and some damn incredible lyrics.
    5/28/06, 6/27/08, 10/28/09, 5/18/10, 5/21/10
    8/7/08, 6/9/09
  • soulsingingsoulsinging Posts: 13,208
    Stu42 wrote:

I like Amongst the Waves... it's got that In My Tree feel to it. It's miles ahead of their last few attempts at this kind of song (gone, lbc). Unthought Known... it's not bad, but not great either. There seems to be a trend where Ed brings a song he's been playing acoustic and they stick the whole band on it and you end up with a song that sounds kinda forced and uncomfortable. In any event, neither of them is as bad as Johnny Guitar... what the hell were they thinking?
  • yosiyosi NYC Posts: 2,612
    Stu42 wrote:

I like Amongst the Waves... it's got that In My Tree feel to it. It's miles ahead of their last few attempts at this kind of song (gone, lbc). Unthought Known... it's not bad, but not great either. There seems to be a trend where Ed brings a song he's been playing acoustic and they stick the whole band on it and you end up with a song that sounds kinda forced and uncomfortable. In any event, neither of them is as bad as Johnny Guitar... what the hell were they thinking?

I don't get the LBC comparison at all.
    you couldn't swing if you were hangin' from a palm tree in a hurricane

• intodeepintodeep Posts: 7,225
    I think i see what you are saying .... somewhat. I like both songs, but for me they are missing just a little something. I enjoy the album A LOT, but many of the songs feel that way to me.

Got Some is the stand out song for me that sounds completed and fufilled. The others i like but seem to be missing a little something. I noticed this in amongst the waves and unthought known. It's like they were on the verge of being awesome and ended up just being great.

That said i'm sure i'll grow to like it and it will settle in as time moves on. Just need a few more listens. What i probalby really need is the 10club cd to arive so i can sit down and read the lyrics while i listen to it.
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Greenville 16, Columbia 16
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
  • Stu42 wrote:

I totally disagree...I thing Uthought Known can quite possible be Pearl Jam's best song EVER!! Brilliant lyrics.

Amongst the waves is an extremely powerful song, cannot wait to hear it live!
  • pearljam10 wrote:
    Stu42 wrote:

I totally disagree...I thing Uthought Known can quite possible be Pearl Jam's best song EVER!! Brilliant lyrics.

ok...we need to pump the brakes here...

lol
  • pearljam10 wrote:
    Stu42 wrote:

ok...we need to pump the brakes here...

lol

I said possibly! At least top 5 for me.
  • Stu42 wrote:

It is weird to see someone with No Code as their avatar not like Unthought Known. The themes he is singing about and the structure of the song feels like a continuation of that amazing album. I really can't imagine someone who like Ed Vedder and Pearl Jam not really enjoying Unthought Known. It is the best song he has written in 10 years with The End close behind.
  • Yeah I just completely disagree with the OP on this one. Amongst the Waves has been my favorite track since the first listen, with Unthought Known a close second or third. These two songs sound so much like Yield to me, yet they are entirely unique. Not really sure where you're coming up with this.
    5/28/06 - Camden, NJ
    5/30/06 - Washington, DC
    6/22/08 - Washington, DC
    10/31/09 - Philadelphia, PA
    8/5/16 - Fenway Park
    Temple of the Dog - 11/5/2016 - Philadelphia, PA
    7/1/2018 - Prague
    7/3/2018 - Kraków
    7/5/2018 - Berlin
  • These are 2 of the best songs on the album. You must be joking!
    8/29/00, 7/3/03, 5/24/06,6/28/08 & 6/30/08, 10/9/09,10/28/09, 10/30/09 & 10/31/09, 5/15/10, 5/17/10, 5/18/10, 5/20/10 & 5/21/10, 10/23/10 & 10/24/10, 9/3/11, 9/4/11, 9/11/11, 9/12/11, 9/23/11, 9/22/12, 9/30/12, 7/16/13, 7/19/13
  • pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,190
    no but Unthought Known is possibly the worst song title I've ever seen - what the hell does it mean? at first I thought it was Unthought Unknown which I think sounds cooler but who knows.

and I love Amongst the Waves - my favorite on the album so far.