Options

Speed Of Sound - is anybody else thinking...

Murderers.Murderers. Posts: 1,382
edited September 2009 in The Porch
of replacing the album version of the song in their media player to the demo version? The demo is so so soooo much better, I don't really understand what was going through the guys' heads when they turned it into the album version.
What the fuck is this world?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    Yeah, I've been thinking about doing that. I really like on the album when "And I'm still holding on.." kicks in. But otherwise, the demo was much better. This is pretty much my only complaint about Backspacer, though. I'm enthralled with it otherwise
  • Options
    benjsbenjs Toronto, ON Posts: 8,938
    Yeah, I've been thinking about doing that. I really like on the album when "And I'm still holding on.." kicks in. But otherwise, the demo was much better. This is pretty much my only complaint about Backspacer, though. I'm enthralled with it otherwise
    I agree. I did the 'replacement' and am glad I did. For whatever reason, I can't learn to like the released version of Speed of Sound... I find it very cheesy, where the demo is gorgeous.
    '05 - TO, '06 - TO 1, '08 - NYC 1 & 2, '09 - TO, Chi 1 & 2, '10 - Buffalo, NYC 1 & 2, '11 - TO 1 & 2, Hamilton, '13 - Buffalo, Brooklyn 1 & 2, '15 - Global Citizen, '16 - TO 1 & 2, Chi 2

EV
    Toronto Film Festival 9/11/2007, '08 - Toronto 1 & 2, '09 - Albany 1, '11 - Chicago 1
  • Options
    not at all ... like the album verison much more so far.
    Jam out with your clam out.
  • Options
    long red wrote:

There's something really 80's about it that I actually really, really like. They do some really atypical arrangements on the record that make it have a bit more variety than, say, Avocado. Speed of Sound is a perfect example.

I will say, however, that there's so much going on in the bloody arrangement that at first my ears were a little confused. I'm very used to the demo version.
  • Options
    long red wrote:

There's something really 80's about it that I actually really, really like. They do some really atypical arrangements on the record that make it have a bit more variety than, say, Avocado. Speed of Sound is a perfect example.

I will say, however, that there's so much going on in the bloody arrangement that at first my ears were a little confused. I'm very used to the demo version.

very much agree with the Confused Ear Syndrome on the SoS album version. I'm thinking headphones will serve it well.
    Jam out with your clam out.
  • Options
    crazygeocrazygeo Posts: 2,374
    Speed Of Sound - is anybody else thinking...
    by Murderers. » 18 Sep 2009 14:41

of replacing the album version of the song in their media player to the demo version? The demo is so so soooo much better, I don't really understand what was going through the guys' heads when they turned it into the album version.

YOU ARE SO ON THE MONEY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1
    WHAT HAPPENED TO THE GUITAR PART THAT SOARS OFF LIKE AN EAGLE..
    THOSE GOD DAMN CLIPS AND OTHER VERSIONS ARE FUKIN ME UP
    • 1991-11-17• 1998-08-28 •2000-09-01
    • 2003-07-05• 2004-10-01
    • 2005-10-03• 2006-05-27
    • 2008-06-19• 2009-10-27 2009-10-28 •2009-10-30
    • 2009-10-31

*Tres Mts 2011-03-23
    *Eddie Vedder 2011-06-25
    - 2013-10-21
    - 2013=10-22
    -2016 -04-28
    -2016 -04-29
  • Options
    I love the album version, it had to grow on me.
  • Options
    Murderers. wrote:
    Give it a week and a few dozen listens.. you will change your mind.
  • Options
    JimmyVJimmyV Boston's MetroWest Posts: 18,919
    How about making it track 12 and extending the album?

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
  • Options
    Better DanBetter Dan Posts: 5,684
    No one likes the lasers at the end of the studio version? :lol:
    2003: San Antonio, Houston, Dallas, Seattle; 2005: Monterrey; 2006: Chicago 1 & 2, Grand Rapids, Cleveland, Detroit; 2008: West Palm Beach, Tampa; 2009: Austin, LA 3 & 4, San Diego; 2010: Kansas City, St. Louis, Columbus, Indianapolis; 2011: PJ20 1 & 2; 2012: Missoula; 2013: Dallas, Oklahoma City, Seattle; 2014: Tulsa; 2016: Columbia, New York City 1 & 2; 2018: London, Seattle 1 & 2; 2021: Ohana; 2022: Oklahoma City
  • Options
    Murderers. wrote:
    Give it a week and a few dozen listens.. you will change your mind.
    Doubt it.

and JimmyV, that would probably disturb the flow quite a lot but it was a cool idea.
  • Options
    DeLukinDeLukin Posts: 2,733
    Dumb question: what is the demo version?
    I smile, but who am I kidding...
  • Options
    DeLukin wrote:
    Dumb question: what is the demo version?
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xamdkR-BYm8
  • Options
    DiRtYyELLoWoCeAnDiRtYyELLoWoCeAn Medford, Ma Posts: 1,605
    JimmyV wrote:
    How about making it track 12 and extending the album?

I did that! :P
    BOS 9/28/04, 9/29/04
    MTL 9/15/05
    HRTFD 5/13/06
    BOS 5/24/06, 5/25/06
    VEGAS 7/6/06
    CHI 8/5/07
    NJ 6/19/08
    NYC 6/25/08
    HRTFD 6/27/08
    MANSFLD 6/28/08, 6/30/08
    E.V. BOS 8/1/08
    CHI 8/23/09, 8/24/09
    PHILLY 10/30/09, 10/31/09
    BOS 5/17/10
    CHI 7/19/13
    WOOSTA 10/15/13, 10/16/13
    HRTFD 10/25/13
    BOS 8/5/16, 8/7/16
    BOS 9/2/18, 9/4/18

• Options
    I made the demo version track 12, and the live Got Some from Conan track 13. 36 minutes my ASS. :D
    Gimli 1993
    Fargo 2003
    Winnipeg 2005
    Winnipeg 2011
    St. Paul 2014
  • Options
    Gremmie03Gremmie03 Posts: 502
    edited September 2009
    double post

oops
    Post edited by Gremmie03 on
    Demented and sad, but social
    Wrigley Earthcam/Hartford 2013
  • Options
    please post a link of the demo version for dl if possible

thanks in advance
    Demented and sad, but social
    Wrigley Earthcam/Hartford 2013
  • Options
    Murderers. wrote:

:lol::lol::lol: read my review! :mrgreen:

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=110711
  • Options
    I liked the demo but I actually like the album version a lot more. The demo was really interesting but sort of strange and difficult to follow. I was impressed with how they were able to almost turn it into a pop song on the album. The drumming sounds fantastic and comes in at just the right time.
  • Options
    I dont even think its close. The album version of SoS is one of the worst songs on the album (only force of nature and johnny guitar are worse). The demo just blew me away. wow. would have been an album highlight. Never would have thought it. **And when I say bad songs I just mean relative to other songs on the album. Any new PJ I am thankful for.
  • Options
    mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,385
    i think i like the demo & album version about the same.
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • Options
    Janman wrote:
    The drumming sounds fantastic and comes in at just the right time.

:shock: :o :shock: :o :shock: :o :shock: :o :shock: :o :shock: :o:o :shock: :o :shock: :o :shock: :o :shock:
  • Options
    paakjerjr wrote:
    I dont even think its close. The album version of SoS is one of the worst songs on the album (only force of nature and johnny guitar are worse). The demo just blew me away. wow. would have been an album highlight. Never would have thought it. **And when I say bad songs I just mean relative to other songs on the album. Any new PJ I am thankful for.

I agree that the demo of Speed of Sound is infinitely better than the album version - it was the biggest disappointment of Backspacer for me. I think the band have wrecked one of ed's most beautiful songs. Matt should have used brushes instead of those big out-of-place thumps, and the guitar riff in the bridges are woeful. But after a few listens I can tolerate it.

But I just can't take Force of Nature. I'd go so far as to say it's the worst song on any PJ album, by quite a distance. I can find absolutely nothing I like about it. for the first time ever, I feel there's a PJ song that I'd be happy never to hear again.

But I totally disagree with you about Johnny Guitar. I love it, makes me grin from ear to ear... It's the most Who-sounding PJ have ever been - Pictures of Lily meets I Can See for Miles. Love it.
    93: Slane
    96: Cork, Dublin
    00: Dublin
    06: London, Dublin
    07: London, Copenhagen, Nijmegen
    09: Manchester, London
    10: Dublin, Belfast, London & Berlin
    11: San José
    12: Isle of Wight, Copenhagen, Ed in Manchester & London x2
  • Options
    DH62179DH62179 Posts: 312
    I'm just glad the album version doesn't remind me of Silent Lucidity like Ed's solo versions did. I also like the way the drums come out of nowhere.
  • Options
    dog-humping.jpg
  • Options
    EvolverEvolver Posts: 525
    I already have both versions in the playlist under the same album number, but I TOTALLY agree. I it is vastly better - overall rhythm, tempo of the acoustic guitar pattern, the nice e-bow guitar work that Ed sprinked in, AWESOME. I really had high hopes for the album version of this one - maybe some NAIS-esque light solo work from Mike, a little bassline from Jeff, and some creative, odd-time percussion (as opposed to normal drumming) with cymbal work from Matt (maybe something kinda Indifference-esque, imaging how Dave A. would have handled this track back in the day ;) )
  • Options
    The first few times I heard the album version I thought that the demo was way better, but after a few listens I like the album version.

I think if you give it some time the album version will grow on you.
    "hear my name, take a good look, this could be the day."
  • Options
    mca47mca47 Posts: 13,254
    Yep, the demo is much better IMO.

The album version is waaaaay too much.
  • Options
    mattcozmattcoz Chicago Posts: 2,165
    I haven't done that yet, but I've been strongly considering it. The demo version was absolutely beautiful.
  • Options
    tcaporaletcaporale Posts: 1,577
    The band probably knew some people wouldn't like the studio version so they released the demo as well.