dare to delete a pj song from your hard drive?

LaddieLaddie Posts: 301
edited September 2009 in The Porch
Still waiting for backspacer in VA and enjoying reading everyone's take on the album. I noticed several people said that they skip a song.

So in general, when you upload/rip/import a pj disc onto your computer, do you import the whole album, import only the songs you'll definitely listen to, or something else? I used to import everything and skip songs I didn't care for as much (help, help). Now I just import what I know I will listen to or delete the songs I find myself skipping a lot off the computer. Also, do you include secret tracks/instrumentals (master/slave, foxymophandlemama, ...)

Just curious...

Also, does one's deletion of pj tracks affect their level of fandom?

Hmmm...maybe I should have made this a poll...
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Empty GlassEmpty Glass In Rob's shed Posts: 12,329
    I have everything. And leading up to the release I've listened to all of the albums in order and when Foxymop starts I had 7 mins on noise to listen to. One thing I've noticed and never looked into, "Red Dot" never loaded to iTunes when I originally loaded Yield.

But on shuffle days, I've skipped tunes....sometimes I really don't need to hear Slight of Hand. I do have a no skip live track rule though, that I seem to obey.
    I've met Rob

DEGENERATE FUK

This place is dead

"THERE ARE NO CLIQUES, ONLY THOSE WHO DON'T JOIN THE FUN" - Empty circa 2015

"Kfsbho&$thncds" - F Me In the Brain - circa 2015
  • HeavyHandsHeavyHands Posts: 2,130
    edited September 2009
    I always upload the whole album no matter what. It goes back to the continuity of the listening experience. I want the whole thing available in the off chance that I have the time and can give the whole thing a listen. If there is a hidden track (Writers Block, 4-20-02, Hummus) I will edit the import process so that the song before it does not include the hidden track, and then I will import the hidden track as a separate song. Nothing screws up a playlist like the gap between a song and the hidden track after it.

Normally though, I will start playing an album at the beginning and skip where I see fit (which is not often). Otherwise I have playlists made up. All thriller and no filler.

**Edit**
    With respect to the question in your subject line... it makes me nervous to do this. I do sometimes have duplicates but hitting the delete button on PJ seems unnatural.
    Post edited by HeavyHands on
    "A lot more people are capable of being big out there that just don't give themselves a chance." -Stone Gossard
  • whole thing.
  • fuckfuck Posts: 4,069
    I can't come to delete any songs because part of the reason I like this band so much is even if i don't like a song at first as much as others and think I may never like it as much, I'll randomly listen to it one day and it'll hit me.

also, I got backspacer yesterday in VA... (Arlington)...
  • LaddieLaddie Posts: 301
    I do have a no skip live track rule though, that I seem to obey.

We could probably have another thread for live album rules. My pmp just got so bogged down with all the live stuff I had that when I hit random, it randomly selected the 55 versions of Evenlow I have (and I know there have been threads about Evenflow counts).

Live rules for me: Definitely all the shows that I have been to in their entirety. And I have made best of type compilations for tours, like US 2006 or South America 2005 and what not. Kind of like the project (the title escapes me now...) where someone or some people put together a live version of every pj song to date (this was a few years ago and I don't know if is ever updated).

It definitely took a while to come to completely delete songs off the computer, but I kind of felt bad not listening to all the bridge shows or other random songs that I was keeping on for the sake of keeping. The xmas singles might be the last exception for me because I like seeing the artwork come up on my pmp. In the end, I always have the cds, so they can go right back on if I find it hard living with myself. :)
  • LaddieLaddie Posts: 301
    _outlaw wrote:
    also, I got backspacer yesterday in VA... (Arlington)...

Sweet! I'm in Arlington too. Hopefully I'll have it today!