Be honest—there's always a little disappointment

13»

Comments

• mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,375
    i'm being honest..i'm not disappointed. nope, not at all. it's a very solid record in my opinion.
    thank you, pj 8-)
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • I, for some reason, had low expectations this time around. I think it had something to do with the little snippets and clips of live versions and solo demos and stuff that I'd already seen/heard that weren't necessarily representative of the full album versions. I don't know if my low expectations had anything to do with how much I love this album, but hear this:
    I LOVE THIS ALBUM!
    I thought that on the first listen, and I haven't felt like that on the first listen of any of their albums since Yield (I still remember having my headphone's on sitting in the back seat of the bus on the way home from the record store and hearing Brain of J start - I nearly released all bodily fluids at once) - so that's gotta say something!
    Sydney 3 1998; Brisbane 1 2003; Sydney 1/2/3 2003; Brisbane 1/2 2006; Sydney 1/2/3 2006; Melbourne 1/2 2006; Adelaide 2009; EV Solo Sydney 1 2011.
  • LauriLauri Posts: 748
    Funny, I've been listening since thurs night when I got it in the mail but my brother just got it at the record store today. I've thought the first 3 songs were the best part of the album and that, frankly, unthought known was terrible. My brother just texted me that he loves the second half, especially unthought known and that the first part is just eh. we had the complete opposite opinions!
  • CG49089CG49089 Posts: 109
    When you love anything as much as Pearl Jam your expectations are always astronomical. I think Backspacer is a great record but for those of you on the fence just give it some time to sink in. Once you get away from all the hype and anticipation I think you'll dig it. I was a tad disappointed on the first listen too but that had more to do with me than the album. It took me at least two years to crown Yield as king. We'll see what happens with Backspacer.

Yeah, I have really found what you are saying to be true... it seems like I always go through an immediate dissapointment... and then the album will grow on my slowly in unexpected ways... it requires repeated listens... and there is something about PJ that makes you want to give it repeated listens... makes you want to go back for the payoff...

I will say that I am finding more to like about backspacer sooner than I expected... on my first listen... I thought the Fixer and Got Some and maybe Just Breathe were the only PJ-worthy tracks on the album... but others are really growing on my now.
  • I'm not at all disappointed! I always wait about a month to really make a decision on an album - I need to live with it, let it breathe, and see how it resonates with me. Right out of the gate more than half of this album feels like an old friend; now to settle in and see what emerges with time. One thing for sure - the majority of these songs will be amazing live!
  • Lauri wrote:
    Funny, I've been listening since thurs night when I got it in the mail but my brother just got it at the record store today. I've thought the first 3 songs were the best part of the album and that, frankly, unthought known was terrible. My brother just texted me that he loves the second half, especially unthought known and that the first part is just eh. we had the complete opposite opinions!

I'm with your brother. I really love the beginning but the album starts kicking for me at Just Breathe. Maybe I am old and like the mid level songs but they really spoke to me. Unthought Known is a classic!

BTW, I do love the fact that people love different parts of this album.
    GoiMTvP.gif