Be honest—there's always a little disappointment

Comments

• pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,171
    I've only listened to it twice so still digesting it but have to say on 1st listen or so a bit of a disappointment. I'm not sure how these songs fit together as an album or how they will come off live. The 'Into the Wild-ish' Ed songs don't seem to fit with what was written by the others. Not saying they aren't good songs, just different than the rest. Not sure the sequencing fits together either - no flow to the album to me.

Frankly I expect more for the talent in this band - I think they could do a whole lot better. I'll continue to listen and digest it more though and see where my thoughts are in a week or so.
  • On another note i never compare one album to the others to be honest i haven't listened to a studio album in yrs from this band, to me it's all about the live boots but really i can't see how people can not like this album ..
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • wow, still don't have the whole album, but just based on Got Some, Supersonic, and The Fixer, I love it already. Yes, it's not like their early albums. Are there still diehards waiting around for them to make another Vitalogy or Yield? Seriously? This band never stays the same. Expecting them to is a little silly. It's odd to me - wanting your favorite band to recreate old work? This is their 9th album - 9th unique album. Even if I'm lukewarm on all of the other songs on the record, I think the three I've heard carry it (especially having heard them live). Also, all three are AMAZING in my ipod when I'm running.

If you don't like this record, you must be a big stupid head. :)
  • pjsteelerfanpjsteelerfan Maryland Posts: 9,883
    On another note i never compare one album to the others to be honest i haven't listened to a studio album in yrs from this band, to me it's all about the live boots but really i can't see how people can not like this album ..

I agree, I like the albulm a lot, but it will be how the songs work live that really will be how I judge it. Once I have boots with the live songs, I'll hardly ever listen to the studio albulm, just when the songs pop up on my Ipod. Can't wait to read the reviews from the Seattle shows next week,
    ...got a mind full of questions and a teacher in my soul...
  • Get_RightGet_Right Posts: 12,439
    On another note i never compare one album to the others to be honest i haven't listened to a studio album in yrs from this band, to me it's all about the live boots but really i can't see how people can not like this album ..
    For me its simple
    too much piano and not enough McCready
    hey maybe my opinion will change after hearing some of it live
    But after just breathe, this record goes way downhill IMHO
    There is 10-12 minutes of decent music IMHO which does not a good record make
    Its all good though, its not like I will stop being a fan just because they made a record Im not thrilled about.
  • On another note i never compare one album to the others to be honest i haven't listened to a studio album in yrs from this band, to me it's all about the live boots but really i can't see how people can not like this album ..

I agree, I like the albulm a lot, but it will be how the songs work live that really will be how I judge it. Once I have boots with the live songs, I'll hardly ever listen to the studio albulm, just when the songs pop up on my Ipod. Can't wait to read the reviews from the Seattle shows next week,

Exactly to me that is the baramoter seeing/hearing these songs live ,i remember having TEN for about two months and likeing it but once i got a hold of a boot from a show it was like holy shit this what i have been waiting for 8-) ....
  • SolarWorld wrote:
    I do not get the Yield worship.

I think it's from whippersnappers too young to remember when Ten and Vs came out... those two were monumental game-changers, the kind of albums that had a "where were you when you first heard it?" quality. For me, Ten will always be #1 - it had this soaring, anthemic quality that hit the 14-year-old me like a sledgehammer. I remember the TV ad for it back home called it an album that makes you want to stand on top of a mountain and scream - it just had that world-conquering sound to it.

Then Vs came along and raised it to a whole new level...

The band may be better and more skilled now, but they've long since lost the raw naked power and aggression they had in the early 90s (that's to be expected, what with the whole getting older and having kids thing)... I can't argue with people who like Yield, because it's a good album (though only my fifth favorite)... but they all need to GET OFF MY LAWN!
    And I listen for the voice inside my head... nothing. I'll do this one myself.
  • Get_Right wrote:
    For me its simple
    Its all good though, its not like I will stop being a fan just because they made a record Im not thrilled about.

Sorry to hear this but i just don't hear what your hearing ,what direction were you expectin the band to go in for this album ? ..
  • Black10Black10 Posts: 160
    I am not disappointed in this album whatsoever. Backspacer is a masterpiece in my opinion. People tend to complain about the length of it (only 37 min) but to me its perfect. It takes me about 37 minutes to get to work everyday so that works out perfect. When i go for a run now I make sure I go for at least 37 minutes. I take about a 37 minute lunch break from work so that works out perfect :D Pretty much I am just gonna live my life from now on in 37 minute intervals.
  • Get_RightGet_Right Posts: 12,439
    Sorry to hear this but i just don't hear what your hearing ,what direction were you expectin the band to go in for this album ? ..
    I never have any expectations for this band, I know better. ;)
    I dont like the keyboards at all. I like when PJ writes more rocking tunes with ripping guitars in addition to the sweet vedder ballads.
    Its cool man, I am glad people love it.
    I dont want to rain on the parade.
  • drsluggo wrote:
    I'll say it - I'm disappointed that I thought Target was selling the vinyl and they are not! :twisted:

I'm actually serious on that one - now I have to plan B it... but that's disappointment as myself so I don't know if it counts.

And for the record - I like the Speed of Sound demo better too but I think its because I'm so much more used to it since its all we had for a while there.

I agree with you that right now I prefer the demo version. For me it comes down to one main part, and that's the two times when the drums come in. I don't mind it once the drums are there, but it just seems almost cheesy the way Matt brings them in. I don't know, the demo version just had a raw feeling to it that kind of fit.
    5/28/06 - Camden, NJ
    5/30/06 - Washington, DC
    6/22/08 - Washington, DC
    10/31/09 - Philadelphia, PA
    8/5/16 - Fenway Park
    Temple of the Dog - 11/5/2016 - Philadelphia, PA
    7/1/2018 - Prague
    7/3/2018 - Kraków
    7/5/2018 - Berlin
  • Get_Right wrote:
    For me its simple

I agree that there is not enough McCready. I hope they at least extend some of these solos live (the few that are in there), however I don't see that happening. They didn't really do that with any of the songs on Avocado. I think they will probably keep these short and sweet.
    5/28/06 - Camden, NJ
    5/30/06 - Washington, DC
    6/22/08 - Washington, DC
    8/5/16 - Fenway Park
    7/1/2018 - Prague
    7/3/2018 - Kraków
    7/5/2018 - Berlin
  • the only album i've ever been disappointed with on first listen was Binaural. That wore off after the 2nd or 3rd listen.

it's still nowhere near my favorite, but if you're into ranking them, something has to go on the bottom. I look at it more in tiers:

1st tier: Vitalogy, VS, Ten, Yield
    2nd tier: No Code, Avocado,
    3rd tier: Binaural, Riot Act (and believe me, I love these)

I'm feeling Backspacer a lot after only three songs heard - I could see it possibly bumping Yield to the 2nd tier. Wow, I can't believe I'm saying that.
  • Zero disappointment here!! Just total joy!!
    All I have to do is revel in the everyday....then do it again tomorrow

They say every sin is deadly but I believe they may be wrong...I'm guilty of all seven and I don't feel too bad at all
  • GmoneyGmoney Posts: 1,618
    First off, YIELD=GOD
    Secondly, Johnny Guitar=Best song on Backspacer.

I speak truth and only truth
    Further back and forth a wave will break on me, today...
  • FlaggFlagg Posts: 5,856
    drsluggo wrote:
    I'll say it - I'm disappointed that I thought Target was selling the vinyl and they are not! :twisted:

I'm actually serious on that one - now I have to plan B it... but that's disappointment as myself so I don't know if it counts.

And for the record - I like the Speed of Sound demo better too but I think its because I'm so much more used to it since its all we had for a while there.

I agree with you that right now I prefer the demo version. For me it comes down to one main part, and that's the two times when the drums come in. I don't mind it once the drums are there, but it just seems almost cheesy the way Matt brings them in. I don't know, the demo version just had a raw feeling to it that kind of fit.

Don't forget about the lasers!
    DAL-7/5/98,10/17/00,6/9/03,11/15/13
    BOS-9/28/04,9/29/04,6/28/08,6/30/08, 9/5/16, 9/7/16, 9/2/18
    MTL-9/15/05, OTT-9/16/05
    PHL-5/27/06,5/28/06,10/30/09,10/31/09
    CHI-8/2/07,8/5/07,8/23/09,8/24/09
    HTFD-6/27/08
    ATX-10/4/09, 10/12/14
    KC-5/3/2010,STL-5/4/2010
    Bridge School-10/23/2010,10/24/2010
    PJ20-9/3/2011,9/4/2011
    OKC-11/16/13
    SEA-12/6/13
    TUL-10/8/14
  • Flagg wrote:
    drsluggo wrote:

Don't forget about the lasers!

Of course, how could I forget??
    5/28/06 - Camden, NJ
    5/30/06 - Washington, DC
    6/22/08 - Washington, DC
    8/5/16 - Fenway Park
    7/1/2018 - Prague
    7/3/2018 - Kraków
    7/5/2018 - Berlin
  • pjhawks wrote:
    I've only listened to it twice so still digesting it but have to say on 1st listen or so a bit of a disappointment. I'm not sure how these songs fit together as an album or how they will come off live. The 'Into the Wild-ish' Ed songs don't seem to fit with what was written by the others. Not saying they aren't good songs, just different than the rest. Not sure the sequencing fits together either - no flow to the album to me.

Frankly I expect more for the talent in this band - I think they could do a whole lot better. I'll continue to listen and digest it more though and see where my thoughts are in a week or so.

First-I love this album. Second, I said the exact same thing to a friend of mine about the ITW-ish songs not really fitting with the flow of the rest of the record. They ARE good songs, just don't seem to go with the overall punk feel to it.

And the SOS full band version is not my favourite either. But I will readily admit that I probably suffer from a condition known as demo-itis. I think it will probably grow on me, as most finished versions of songs do after a while of getting the demo out of my system. Just a thought-have any of you ever heard a demo of a song after the finished product, and liked the demo better? I would guess not. It's all in what you're used to, not to mention the fact that it was one of the first tastes of new PJ from this record, which would probably hold pretty steady in the hearts and minds of most of us.
    Gimli 1993
    Fargo 2003
    Winnipeg 2005
    Winnipeg 2011
    St. Paul 2014
  • The length doesn't bother me at all. It's 36 1/2 minutes but it still feels like a complete album.
    So this life is sacrifice...
    6/30/98 Minneapolis, 10/8/00 East Troy (Brrrr!), 6/16/03 St. Paul, 6/27/06 St. Paul
  • SolarWorldSolarWorld Posts: 1,902
    Gmoney wrote:
    First off, YIELD=GOD

Yield is just another album. It is not GOD. BTW Backspacer kicks the shit out of Yield.
  • ComeToTXComeToTX Austin Posts: 7,525
    i don't love johnny guitar or amongst the waves. it's been hard for me to not just keep playing the first two tracks on repeat. just breathe is awesome and the end is incredible. force of nature is always stuck in my head. well done, boys!
    This show, another show, a show here and a show there.
  • GmoneyGmoney Posts: 1,618
    SolarWorld wrote:
    Gmoney wrote:
    First off, YIELD=GOD

Yield is just another album. It is not GOD. BTW Backspacer kicks the shit out of Yield.
    Backspacer is great but Yield kicks it in the teeth
    Further back and forth a wave will break on me, today...
  • Gmoney wrote:
    SolarWorld wrote:
    Gmoney wrote:
    First off, YIELD=GOD

Backspacer is great but Yield kicks it in the teeth

Yield is definitely more cohesive. Backspacer has a lot of individual songs that are on par (and some better) than the material on Yield. (In partiuclar Amongst the Waves, Got Some, Gonna See My Friend, Unthought Known).
    So this life is sacrifice...
    6/30/98 Minneapolis, 10/8/00 East Troy (Brrrr!), 6/16/03 St. Paul, 6/27/06 St. Paul
  • Who are these people saying that Yield is no good? It sure sounded good to me in 1997. Maybe you had to be there?
  • pjsteelerfanpjsteelerfan Maryland Posts: 9,883
    Who are these people saying that Yield is no good? It sure sounded good to me in 1997. Maybe you had to be there?

I have not read where people say Yield is not good or is bad, some people just like Backspacer better right now. Thats Ok.
    ...got a mind full of questions and a teacher in my soul...
  • Black10 wrote:
    Pretty much I am just gonna live my life from now on in 37 minute intervals.

that`s absolutely beautifully said. I am thinking to use it in my forum sigs whenever I am registered.

my view on album: gosh, still waiting to get it here in Europe from 10c shop. hopefully I will have some downloads after the weekend. I can`t wait for the delivery
    2006 Prague 2012 Prague 2014 Vienna
  • LauriLauri Posts: 748
    I would totally agree that there's always some disappointment when you first hear a new album. My problem with album right now is that I think it's very good music, good songs, but they don't do much for me. Maybe I'm just not "getting it" at this point. I really like the first 3 songs and then I'm kinda like eh. There's all these great choruses and riffs and whatnot, but I'm not digging the lyrics and not so into the pianos. And I don't feel that level of story-telling or point-making that I normally get from Pearl Jam...it's a little too like triumphant/upbeat or something...I like the 80s sound, but I don't like the 80s feel ...I just don't know yet. This is coming from a woman who loves Riot Act...
  • pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,171
    Lauri wrote:
    I would totally agree that there's always some disappointment when you first hear a new album. My problem with album right now is that I think it's very good music, good songs, but they don't do much for me. Maybe I'm just not "getting it" at this point. I really like the first 3 songs and then I'm kinda like eh. There's all these great choruses and riffs and whatnot, but I'm not digging the lyrics and not so into the pianos. And I don't feel that level of story-telling or point-making that I normally get from Pearl Jam...it's a little too like triumphant/upbeat or something...I like the 80s sound, but I don't like the 80s feel ...I just don't know yet. This is coming from a woman who loves Riot Act...

i agree with you on this. I don't have that 'i got to go out and hear this right now after work feeling' - it's just kind of like 'ok, these are good, but...' - after a few listens i don't see these songs long term being something to repeat over and over but maybe that's me. right now i'm underwhelmed.
  • yosiyosi NYC Posts: 2,588
    pjhawks wrote:

I feel very similarly. The songs are all pretty good in my opinion, but there is just some element that's lacking. I really think there is no cohesiveness to the album at all, it just sounds like a collection of songs, some of which are pretty good, and some of which are just ok. I don't know, I would have preferred the Ed heavy songs (Just Breathe, The End) to be on ITW, they just don't work on this album - and that's not saying they're bad, just out of place.
    Lauri wrote:

Agreed. And I LOVE Riot Act too.
    you couldn't swing if you were hangin' from a palm tree in a hurricane

• This is the first time I was disappointed.

I loved every album from the start (including Riot Act and Pearl Jam).

When they started releasing singles for this one I was disappointed. My husband had the opposite reaction. He is usally the when whining about the new album, telling me he needs time to get used to it. This time he loved it.

That being said, I've warmed up to it quite nicely.