Options

Who shines the most on Backspacer?

musicismylife78musicismylife78 Posts: 6,117
edited September 2009 in The Porch
Ed's vocals and lyrics, Matt's drumming, Jeff's slappin da bass, Mike's guitar virtuosity, or Stone's guitar noodlings?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    Matt
    baby boomers selling you rumors of their history, forcing youth away from the truth of what's real today.
  • Options
    Ed and Matt!
  • Options
  • Options
    yield2meyield2me Posts: 1,291
    Mr. Pickles
    “May you live to be 100 and may the last voice you hear be mine.” - Frank Sinatra
  • Options
    clockistotimeclockistotime Los Angeles, CA Posts: 249
    Ed's vocals take the lead so far, but if it wasn't for the groundwork that the rest of the guys laid down then that wouldn't have been possible. so i'll just say it's a collective of all their talents equally... but Ed's vocals sound golden, almost honey roasted, haha. ok, now i'm getting silly.

ps, slappin' da bass!! haha, i just saw that movie tonight and had a good laugh when i saw that you wrote that :lol:
    "one man stands the edge of the ocean
    a beacon on dry land
    eyes above the horizon
    in the dark before the dawn..."
    "i am a donut"
  • Options
    dustinparduedustinpardue Las Vegas, NV Posts: 1,829
    I think it is a great album for Matt, but I love it all. great record. i'm impressed
    "All I Ever Knew" available now in print and digital formats at Amazon, Barnes & Noble, and iBooks.
  • Options
    KloddzKloddz Posts: 2,573
    Not Boom.

j/k

Halfway through my first listen, so far I'm saying Matt.
    Bern - September 13, 2006
    Berlin - August 15, 2009
    Lisbon - July 10, 2010
    Berlin - June 26, 2014
    Zurich - June 23, 2022

http://www.last.fm/user/Kloddz
  • Options
    knikknik Posts: 94
    cosmik wrote:
    Ed and Matt!

I agree!
  • Options
    SolarWorldSolarWorld Posts: 1,902
    Matt and Ed for sure.
  • Options
    This is easily Matt's best record with Pearl Jam, the drums sound fucking incredible.

Gotta give it to Ed though, he's really cleaned up his vocal performances, far less mumbling than he's done on the last few records.
  • Options
    Jeff mother fucking Ament the most underated bass player out there owns on every Pearl Jam record........
  • Options
    pjammer92 wrote:
    Jeff mother fucking Ament the most underated bass player out there owns on every Pearl Jam record........

I agree. I especially love that bass line during the "can I sleep with the light on" part of Johnny Guitar.
  • Options
    memememe Posts: 4,693
    Magic blend of all five? :)
    ... and the will to show I will always be better than before.
  • Options
    kenny olavkenny olav Posts: 3,323
    EV, but Matt is 2nd on the "wow" list.
  • Options
    Ed and Matt

A lot of Ed's "Yeahs" and vocals are a return to form and noticeably outstanding
    Some of Matt's beats are wtf? ...cant follow....Love it...Some of the drumming to backspacer on RB is gonna be a bitch if it's note note for note

all in all, everyone tears it up though
    If a man speaks in a forest and there is no woman around to hear him, is he still wrong?
  • Options
    JonnyPistachioJonnyPistachio Florida Posts: 10,217
    I have noticed Jeff a lot more on this one. Great bass in Just Breathe and Got Some!
    Pick up my debut novel here on amazon: Jonny Bails Floatin (in paperback) (also available on Kindle for $2.99)
  • Options
    marklmarkl Posts: 58
    Welcome back to the band JEFF AMENT
  • Options
    this is the first album since vs. where each tune sounds like the whole band playing it live....not tracked and produced like crazy. I say they all shine on here.
    Toledo '96, Cleveland '98, Columbus '00, Cleveland '03, Toledo '04
    Washington D.C. '04, London '05,Hamilton '05,Grand Rapids '06,
    Cleveland '06, Detroit '06,Pittsburgh '06,Cincinnati '06,Chicago '07
    NYC '08, NYC '08, Chicago '09, Chicago '09, ACL '09, Columbus 2010, Noblesville 2010, Cleveland 2010, Buffalo 2010.
  • Options
    In order:

Matt, great drumming. Even listen to The Fixer. The hi hat work followed by a crash hit during the main riff is amazing. Not to mention hes following jeffs groove for once.

Ed, totally used his vocals for the better. His raspiness has never sounded better.

Jeff, never really payed too much attention to jeffs basslines Ill admit but his bass line in JOhnny Guitar is awesome. Plus they are really using him live during this tour... perfect example:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WUMTZRvfIoA
    When have you ever heard jeff play that great bassline during present tense live as good as that.

Mike: not really too many solos, but im lovin the clean work hes doing for a change. nothing wrong with that

Stone: havent noticed much really, but then again he did write amongst the waves and supersonic.
    5/28/06, 6/27/08, 10/28/09, 5/18/10, 5/21/10
    8/7/08, 6/9/09