Options

A Die-Hard's Honest Review of Backspacer

FirecloudFirecloud Posts: 516
edited September 2009 in The Porch
Talk about a labor of love.

An excerpt:

"The unabashed appreciation for second chances of the heart is anything but Rock n’ Roll, but anyone still digging for adherence to modern rock doctrines in Pearl Jam’s music is entirely missing the point of this band. What makes PJ special, what separates them from their contemporaries is the fact that their music is always, above all else, a matter of heart."

http://www.antiquiet.com/reviews/2009/09/pearl-jam-backspacer-review/

I'd love to hear what you think, particularly whether your interpretations contrast with my own.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    tcaporaletcaporale Posts: 1,577
    I think it's odd that you claim their self-titled sounds tired. I think it sounds like a rejuvenated band. If anything, Riot Act found the band tired.

Otherwise it's a good review.
  • Options
    FlaggFlagg Posts: 5,856
    tcaporale wrote:
    I think it's odd that you claim their self-titled sounds tired. I think it sounds like a rejuvenated band. If anything, Riot Act found the band tired.

Otherwise it's a good review.

Agree and Agree
    DAL-7/5/98,10/17/00,6/9/03,11/15/13
    BOS-9/28/04,9/29/04,6/28/08,6/30/08, 9/5/16, 9/7/16, 9/2/18
    MTL-9/15/05, OTT-9/16/05
    PHL-5/27/06,5/28/06,10/30/09,10/31/09
    CHI-8/2/07,8/5/07,8/23/09,8/24/09
    HTFD-6/27/08
    ATX-10/4/09, 10/12/14
    KC-5/3/2010,STL-5/4/2010
    Bridge School-10/23/2010,10/24/2010
    PJ20-9/3/2011,9/4/2011
    OKC-11/16/13
    SEA-12/6/13
    TUL-10/8/14
  • Options
    What really keeps striking me about S/T is that they sound like they're trying to find a foothold in their new middle-aged perspectives, with moderate luck. It's not that it's tired, necessarily, so much as a bit unconvincing in its energy (I say this with some reluctance as Big Wave is ripping through my head).
    Backspacer is an entirely different story, however.
  • Options
    ZosoZoso Posts: 6,425
    I agree with the antiquiet review and comment about S/T.. It sounds like they are trying to hard to stay angry and make another Vs. BS is as close to perfect as any band will get when they get to their 9th album. One of PJ's best for sure.
    I'm just flying around the other side of the world to say I love you

Sha la la la i'm in love with a jersey girl

I love you forever and forever :)

Adel 03 Melb 1 03 LA 2 06 Santa Barbara 06 Gorge 1 06 Gorge 2 06 Adel 1 06 Adel 2 06 Camden 1 08 Camden 2 08 Washington DC 08 Hartford 08
  • Options
    Glad you agree! Tcaporale - where'd you find that icon? My eyes keep coming back to it. Very cool.
  • Options
    Aww Jonhnny, that was a wonderful review! It seems like Eddie is really benefiting from the work he did on Into the Wild in the same way that Thurston Moore did with Trees Outside the Academy.

Keep up the great work with Antiquiet!
  • Options
    i think you might have misheard some of the lyrics
    looking to hear of the earth
  • Options
    Drewcool - Thank you!
    Dr. Teeth - Which lyrics?
  • Options
    FahkaFahka Posts: 3,187
    great review!Its mostly spot on...
  • Options
    tcaporaletcaporale Posts: 1,577
    Firecloud wrote:
    Glad you agree! Tcaporale - where'd you find that icon? My eyes keep coming back to it. Very cool.
    It's Radiohead artwork from the Kid A/Amnesiac era.
  • Options
    ahh, I thought I recognized it.
  • Options
    After listening to S/T again, I'm not sure that I'd have called the album tired if I wrote the piece now. It doesn't necessarily warrant an edit on the review, but I can see how there'd be an argument against that point.
  • Options
    HeavyHandsHeavyHands Posts: 2,130
    Still though... that's a good review. I enjoyed reading it. WAAAAAAYYYYY better than Modell's or Sheffield's pieces.
    "A lot more people are capable of being big out there that just don't give themselves a chance." -Stone Gossard
  • Options
    while i like the stuff on riot act and avocado, i think they are tired albums. this new one is a good, whole album like all the o'brien produced stuff (no code and yield being my favs of all the catalog).
  • Options
    lugnutlugnut Asheville Posts: 67
    I thought S/T was good but misproduced.....when i listened to it i didnt get carried away by the music i got hung up things i would have fixed. marker in the sand and army reserve sounded good to me but the production had a stealy "cold" sound that i just couldnt embrace like all albums through yield - now b o'b is back and so is that pj "warm" sound for lack of better way to explain it. i thought some of this was matts influence but now i think it was more likely sound/production issues. thank god for bo'b. rhis album sound as great as any prior.
  • Options
    I wanted to dig into the production a little more, but didn't want to start a subjective debate about, as you put it, warmth of sound. And as you can see, the damn thing's long enough already 8-)
  • Options
    mini_tbmini_tb Posts: 420
    Firecloud wrote:
    What really keeps striking me about S/T is that they sound like they're trying to find a foothold in their new middle-aged perspectives, with moderate luck. It's not that it's tired, necessarily, so much as a bit unconvincing in its energy (I say this with some reluctance as Big Wave is ripping through my head).
    Backspacer is an entirely different story, however.

Wow! Incredibly well said! To me, there has always been something forced about the sound if that makes sense. Can't wait to hear Backspacer!!
    Glorified version of a pelican
  • Options
    while i like the stuff on riot act and avocado, i think they are tired albums. this new one is a good, whole album like all the o'brien produced stuff (no code and yield being my favs of all the catalog).

I agree with this post wholeheartedly. I liked the last two, enjoyed hearing them live, but rarely play either one start to finish. On s/t especially, I think they were trying too hard to recapture....something. Perhaps some of that had to do with production, I'm no expert but something just wasn't right.

In my head, this one evokes comparisons to songs off of No Code and Yield, with a dash of ITW thrown in, that's the highest praise I can dole out.

Great review Firecloud, although I'd given it 4.5 to at least match your Black Crowe's review ;)

....bring on Easy Street!
    2003: OKC, San Antonio, Nawlins, B'ingham, LV, Holmdel
    2005: Vancouver
    2006: LV, The Gorge x2
    2007: Lolla
    2008: WPB, Tampa
    2009: Chicago x2, Seattle x2, ACL Taping, ACL, Philly 1
    2011: PJ20 Destination Weekend x2
    2013: Wrigley, and more?
  • Options
    KloddzKloddz Posts: 2,573
    Good read!
    Bern - September 13, 2006
    Berlin - August 15, 2009
    Lisbon - July 10, 2010
    Berlin - June 26, 2014
    Zurich - June 23, 2022

http://www.last.fm/user/Kloddz
  • Options
    Thank you!
  • Options
    N2Deep wrote:

I agree with this post wholeheartedly. I liked the last two, enjoyed hearing them live, but rarely play either one start to finish. On s/t especially, I think they were trying too hard to recapture....something. Perhaps some of that had to do with production, I'm no expert but something just wasn't right.

In my head, this one evokes comparisons to songs off of No Code and Yield, with a dash of ITW thrown in, that's the highest praise I can dole out.

Great review Firecloud, although I'd given it 4.5 to at least match your Black Crowe's review ;)

Yeah I'm bothered somewhat that the Crowes ranked half a star higher, but what can you do? (besides change it i guess...ha)
  • Options
    Get_RightGet_Right Posts: 12,479
    Certainly well written. But I happen to disagree about ST and the one thing that I see missing from every review of BS I read is the notable lack of solos on this record. Where is Mike McCready on this record? And the increased presence of synth and keyboards? Its a big change for this band.
  • Options
    Firecloud wrote:
    N2Deep wrote:

Yeah I'm bothered somewhat that the Crowes ranked half a star higher, but what can you do? (besides change it i guess...ha)

Have you listened to the new Crowes album?? Tough to say which one I would rank higher than the other but Before The Frost...Until The Freeze is a incredible album as well that really showcases TBC's talent. I would highly recommend everyone to go get this album.

RM
  • Options
    Yeah I reviewed that one too - hence the stars discussion. Before The Frost is utterly fantastic. The best Crowes record in many years.
  • Options
    inmyrvminmyrvm Posts: 933
    I thought S/T was a stronger album, the band getting back to their roots. I can listen to that album straight through easily. This time I think they weren't sure what direction to head, which is fine. They went punk, ITW-ish, and pop (I really think they were going for a sort of pop album with this one.) When Speed of Sound comes on I cringe. It's just a bad song that doesn't belong on there i.m.o. Ed tries for a vocal range he doesn't have. It's funny that one song can kill the flow of an album for me but it really did. All in all I prefer the blue album. I'm not sure I would put Backspacer on a top 10 album list for the year. The blue album I would.
    "Fuck the talkin' let's start rockin" - Eddie Vedder 9-5-00 Pittsburgh
    4/26/03 Pittsburgh 5/3/03 State College 7/12/03 Hershey 10/1/04 Reading 9/28/05 Pittsburgh 5/20/06 Cleveland 6/23/06 Pittsburgh 6/22/08 DC

friends don't let friends listen to good charlotte
  • Options
    Really? This one seemed to be a definite collection of different atmospheres, but nothing seems shifty or uncertain at all. These songs have genuine character, and don't get muddy or lost trying to find a foothold. I know it's probably certain death to criticize particular songs off S/T, but Marker in the Sand, Parachutes and Unemployable all seem to hit a middle ground of energy - there's no real conviction in them for me. This record feels fully committed.