Rolling Stone review

GTHobbesGTHobbes Posts: 128
edited September 2009 in The Porch
Sorry if this has already been posted, but I just noticed that Rolling Stone has its review up online. I'm not sure how serious I can take a review from someone who calls "Spin the Black Circle," "filler," but he seems to like the new one, giving it 4 stars.

http://www.rollingstone.com/reviews/alb ... backspacer
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• May 30thMay 30th Posts: 1,643
    ya, i do not understand how STBC is "filler." oh well, a good review for an album thats gonna be killer!!! only six days now, thank goodness.
  • Maybe not a filler, but a weird song on Viatlogy.

EDIT: nice review.
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • KatKat There's a lot to be said for nowhere. Posts: 4,769
    I can't ever remember seeing a Grammy winning song called filler before.

Honestly.

That was so glaring, I can't remember what else he said. :lol:

4 stars is nice though.
    Falling down,...not staying down
  • Personally I've always really disliked Spin the Black Circle, one of the few PJ songs I can say that about.
  • En La ClandestinidadEn La Clandestinidad Telford, PA by way of Kansas City, MO and Milwaukee, WI, Phoenix, AZ and East Greenbush, NY Posts: 3,622
    Kat,

Finally you can post a "normal" post that doesn't have the link to the message board rules! :lol::lol:

It's nice to see. Keep up the good work, but ship those CD's!
    Formerly Brew Crew Tix
    “If the world hates you, keep in mind that it hated me first. If you belonged to the world, it would love you as its own. As it is, you do not belong to the world, but I have chosen you out of the world.
  • HeavyHandsHeavyHands Posts: 2,130
    "...with layers of Thin Lizzy twin-guitar raunch going on down below...pile-driving solos that spin out of control...the Seventies-flavored cowbell-boogie charges ahead way too fast for anything to feel quaint."

What does any of this mean?
    "A lot more people are capable of being big out there that just don't give themselves a chance." -Stone Gossard
  • GoatboyGoatboy Posts: 509
    STBC rocks. I love it.

Strange review, nice to see four stars though. I'm just not coming from the same place this guy is...waiting for the next daughter or the next black. I never got that.
  • spin the black circle is one of pearl jams best songs, period. its one of the fastest and bold songs. i dont understand people who "like this type of pearl jam song vs another song". they are a diverse band with a range of style. if you only like even flow and i am mine then you should not be writing reviews.
  • Kat wrote:
    that was my original thought as well, funny how it isnt pointed out :)
    Small my table, seats just 3, its not crowded, its just lucky me
  • Aside from the comment about STBC, this line stuck out to me: "Pearl Jam started off specializing in slow, ruminative, rope-a-dope ballads and didn't have any instinctive knack for playing it fast or loud." Really?

It's really not a very good review and shows little knowledge of the band or its music, outside of recognizing the quality of Yield. Also struck by the mention of Eddie's vocals being "the main attraction, as always." I'm glad he likes Eddie's vocals, as do I, but I've never viewed them as "the main attraction." As most of us realize, there's a whole lot that goes into making this band great.
  • HeavyHands wrote:
    "...with layers of Thin Lizzy twin-guitar raunch going on down below...pile-driving solos that spin out of control...the Seventies-flavored cowbell-boogie charges ahead way too fast for anything to feel quaint."

You can always use more cowbell
    GoiMTvP.gif
  • It's a good review--though shoulda gave it 4 1/2 stars. All these reviewers are coming short of saying this is a classic album. Music journalists are such sheep.
    "Goddamn Romans. Sure know how to make a ... drum room." --Matt Cameron
  • Should be 5 stars not 4 stars.
    8/29/00, 7/3/03, 5/24/06,6/28/08 & 6/30/08, 10/9/09,10/28/09, 10/30/09 & 10/31/09, 5/15/10, 5/17/10, 5/18/10, 5/20/10 & 5/21/10, 10/23/10 & 10/24/10, 9/3/11, 9/4/11, 9/11/11, 9/12/11, 9/23/11, 9/22/12, 9/30/12, 7/16/13, 7/19/13
  • Should be 5 stars not 4 stars.

Actually I agree. There is not a wasted second on this sucker. It's like good poetry.
  • normnorm I'm always home. I'm uncool. Posts: 31,147
    who takes anything rolling stone does seriously... last time i read it, all i saw was tabloid shit... i wouldn't expect them to know the difference between a good album from a good fart
  • Get_RightGet_Right Posts: 12,440
    hearing spin the black circle live is a big part of what got me hooked on this band
  • As a lot of people have been saying, I just don't get the STBC comment. Moreover, I don't really get that comment that Pearl Jam didn't do the whole fast-paced thing early on.

I just really never value anything Rolling Stone says anymore. It is such a self-centered, arrogant publication anyway.
    5/28/06 - Camden, NJ
    5/30/06 - Washington, DC
    6/22/08 - Washington, DC
    10/31/09 - Philadelphia, PA
    8/5/16 - Fenway Park
    Temple of the Dog - 11/5/2016 - Philadelphia, PA
    7/1/2018 - Prague
    7/3/2018 - Kraków
    7/5/2018 - Berlin
  • Rob Sheffield is great though. Everyone should read his book "Love is a Mix Tape".

I think he did a great job at the review since we are all obviously biased ;)
  • Pretty terrible write up but its good to see every review has been positive so far except one.
    5/28/06, 6/27/08, 10/28/09, 5/18/10, 5/21/10
    8/7/08, 6/9/09
  • ComeToTXComeToTX Austin Posts: 7,525
    i'm glad it's positive but i always think it's lazy to just compare new songs to old ones.
    This show, another show, a show here and a show there.
  • ComeToTXComeToTX Austin Posts: 7,525
    Kat wrote:

the grammys became a joke when they started giving them to boy bands and pop tarts.
    This show, another show, a show here and a show there.
  • ComeToTX wrote:
    Kat wrote:

the grammys became a joke when they started giving them to boy bands and pop tarts.

Unfortunate but true. As soon as The Backstreet Boys were up for "album of the year", I immediately realized the grammy for "Album of the year" had little to do with what was actually "the best album of the year."
    I am right by your side...
  • PissBottleManPissBottleMan Union City, TN Posts: 4,154
    Kat wrote:

I thought the award didn't mean anything. ;)

So, the point is moot.

:D

PBM
    "We paced ourselves and we didn't rush through it and we tried to be as creative as our collective minds would let us be over some course of time instead of just trying to rush through a record"

Wishlist Foundation: http://wishlistfoundation.org
  • Kat wrote:

So, the point is moot.

PBM

Don't you mean Moo?
  • SolarWorldSolarWorld Posts: 1,902
    HeavyHands wrote:

It means he likes it...
  • PissBottleManPissBottleMan Union City, TN Posts: 4,154
    Kat wrote:

So, the point is moot.

PBM

Don't you mean Moo?

I stand corrected.

PBM
    "We paced ourselves and we didn't rush through it and we tried to be as creative as our collective minds would let us be over some course of time instead of just trying to rush through a record"

Wishlist Foundation: http://wishlistfoundation.org
  • DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,411
    ComeToTX wrote:
    Kat wrote:

They were a joke a longs time ago. The greatest rock and roll band to walk the face of the earth never one one.
  • dannydanny Posts: 2,269
    excellent cant wait like every one else!
    danny d
  • BF25394BF25394 Posts: 2,978
    "Go" followed by "Animal" is a pretty gut-punching opening that gets the momentum rushing, so I'd have to disagree with Sheffield's statement in that regard.
    I gather speed from you fucking with me.
  • HeavyHands wrote:

bahahahahha, don't know, glad it got a good review but i think this guy who reviewed it is kind of a bone head.....