Options

Pearl Jam AND......College Football???

cmicuccicmicucci Posts: 3
edited September 2009 in The Porch
So, the pre-game and intro highlights to this weekend's college football games had PJ and DMB music playing.
They actually showed Dave Matthews Band playing intermittently thru the snippets of college football highlights. But they did play "the fixer" all weekend, including today's game (cincy vs rutgers) and in the bottow left hand corner read, "pearl jam, the fixer, backspacer album"...........
I like it.............nice to get some primetime air time................BUT just surprised!!!!
Surprised that PJ/Eddie would go mainstream...........i mean..........College Football...........'bout time they just say "F*** IT" and let their music reach everyone. i mean......i see it both ways........but whatever......just excited for the new album!!!!
cm

just curious how many heard it and if everyone was as surprised as me......
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    I agree, brother Chee. They've been in the game long enough where a little mainstream exposure isn't going to be an obstruction for the band. I definitely was surprised though.
    "I asked Bobby Dylan, I asked The Beatles, I asked Timothy Leary and he couldn't help me either."
  • Options
    Yesterday during the college football highlight show, they played Gonna See My Friend!
  • Options
    Being a chick who doesn't care much for American football,
    I just sat shocked, at my neighbor's house, as I heard Fixer opening the days events.
    ugh.
    Naturally I made my gracious exit and came back home.

Personally I'm disappointed. Not very 'anti-establishment' of PJ, now is it?

Bummed in NJ,
    La
    "And he still gives his love, he just gives it away.
    The love he receives is the love that is saved."
    ~E.V.
  • Options
    JTHJTH Chicago Posts: 3,238
    singingdj wrote:
    Being a chick who doesn't care much for American football,
    I just sat shocked, at my neighbor's house, as I heard Fixer opening the days events.
    ugh.
    Naturally I made my gracious exit and came back home.

Personally I'm disappointed. Not very 'anti-establishment' of PJ, now is it?

Bummed in NJ,
    La
    I don't know. I'm of the opinion that you've got to pick your battles. And they've clearly done that. Besides, what qualifies as anti-establishment these days?

The single/album are self-released. They got a major American retailer to agree to sell records in 2009. Real, live, vinyl records intended for play on a phonograph.
  • Options
    yeah i saw it too but honestly... that song didnt fit that at all. i say no fixer on College Football. GO IRISH!!!!!!
  • Options
    I think ANY Pearl Jam song fits with just about anything......even college football.

Let's go................Mountaineers!!!!
  • Options
    JTHJTH Chicago Posts: 3,238
    I heard "Got Some" on Saturday (during Indiana/Akron game).
  • Options
    LukinFanLukinFan Florida Posts: 29,005
    ESPN has been playing tracks off of Backspacer for weeks now and ABC owns ESPN, so this doesn't surprise me one bit. Just another way to get their name out there
    www.RLMcDaniel.com

1996: Ft Lauderdale
    1998: Birmingham
    2000: Charlotte, Tampa
    2003: Tampa, Atlanta, Phoenix
    2004: Kissimmee
    2008: West Palm Beach, Bonnaroo, Columbia
    2010: MSG2
    2012: Music Midtown
    2014: Memphis
    2016: Ft. Lauderdale, Miami, Jacksonville, JazzFest
    2018: Wrigley 1, Fenway 1
    2022: Nashville
    2023: Ft. Worth II
  • Options
    I am confused why everyone wants PJ to stay out of the mainstream. Does that make them less of a band? I find it pretty cool that I can watch stuff like college football AND hear my favorite band.
  • Options
    College football's "target" (hee hee) audience is probably people aged 15 to ... what, 100?

In every dorm, every bar and almost every home in college football land (here in the South, especially -- but there are pockets all over the country) the TV on Saturday is tuned to the games and, most likely, the pre- and post-game shows.

And how many perked their ears up and asked "what's that?" when they heard one of Backspacer's tracks hit the air?

On a side note, i heard Rece Davis of ESPN say the Washington Huskies kicker who hit the game winning field goal over the USC Trojans was "the biggest name to come out of Seattle since PEARL JAM!"

I thought that ruled ...

;)
    If you hate something,
    Don't you do it, too.
  • Options
    PorchsitterPorchsitter Loganville, GA Posts: 1,069
    Let me get this straight: Pearl Jam songs have been heard on ESPN for a loooonnngg time. They have also had their songs played on television shows like "Friends" and "Scrubs." They have an exclusive distribution deal with big retail merchant.............and the fact that their songs are being played during college football NOW qualifies as going "mainstream?!"
    We are the facilitators of our own creative evolution.--Bill Hicks
  • Options
    Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,601
    I forget what song it was but one of the new songs was the music on the Ultimate Highlight on Sportscenter this morning. I was half paying attention since I was running late for work so I didnt catch it all.
  • Options
    Got SOme sounded good.

They are a band that loves sports, they named their first album after a basketball player's number! its not really weird to me.
  • Options
    Nothing's better in my book than Pearl Jam and the Crimson Tide on a Saturday night!!! :P
    United Center (Chicago): 8/24/09
    Gibson Amphitheatre (Los Angeles): 10/7/09