Which song completely passed you by?

malcyrvsmalcyrvs Posts: 89
edited September 2009 in The Porch
This struck me whilst at SBE.
Present Tense completely floored me.
I remember thinking to myself, I hadn't really paid attention to it before.
I've probably played it every single day since SBE.
Has this "the light has come on" moment happened to anyone else?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• JTHJTH Chicago Posts: 3,238
    Yep. Same song. It never really did much for me until I saw them play it live in 2003.

Then the same thing happened with the aptly-titled "Indifference" in '06.
  • malcyrvs wrote:
    This struck me whilst at SBE.
    Present Tense completely floored me.
    I remember thinking to myself, I hadn't really paid attention to it before.
    I've probably played it every single day since SBE.
    Has this "the light has come on" moment happened to anyone else?

you know what...exactly the same song for me too...i flew over from Ireland for the Shoreline Ampitheatre Riot Act show June 2003...they played it there and I nearly collapsed with intensity of present tense...unreal...you sum it up perfectly with "the light has come on"...
  • I love Present Tense. I wanted to hear it so bad at Chicago # 1. They played it at Chicago # 2, which I did not attend. :cry:
  • Songs always have a bigger impact on me live than on record. Sleight of Hand was always one of my favourite tracks on Binaural, but after hearing it live at Manchester, it was like "wow, shit....". Every time I hear it now, the heckles go up on my neck.
    It's gonna be a glorious day...
  • Present Tense flew under my radar for a while too until about a year ago and for some reason it just exploded for me. I believe this particular song is admitted to be a "hardcore fan" favorite.
  • oona leftoona left Posts: 1,672
    Present Tense also did this to me!! At Chicago 2.

I remember kind of digging it while getting acquainted with "No Code" way back when, but I was by no means in love with it. Whenever I've listened to it since, it wasn't a highlight. I didn't dislike it, but I also didn't appreciate the entirety of the song.

Live, however, hot shit on a shingle!! They have a unique way of making certain songs feel so very intimate, even in a packed stadium (with countless rows between you and the band, as was my case).
  • I recently discovered the song that did this to me and its Down. Saw it for the first time in Calgary a couple weeks ago and just fell into it.

Its awesome.
    Key Arena - Nov 05 2000, General Motors Place - May 30 2003, General Motors Place - Sep 02 2005, Canada Olympic Park - Aug 08 2009,Key Arena - Sep 22 2009, GM Place - Sep 25 2009, The O2 - Jun 22 2010, Odyssey Arena - Jun 23 2010, Hyde Park - Jun 25 2010, Alpine Valley Music Theatre - Sep 03, 2011, Alpine Valley Music Theatre - Sep 04, 2011, Scotiabank Saddledome - Sep 21, 2011, Rexall Place - Sep 23, 2011, Pacific Coliseum - Sep 25, 2011, Portland OR 11-29-2013, Spokane WA 11-30-2013, Vancouver BC 12-04-2013, Seattle WA 12-06-2013, Toronto ON 05-10-2016, Toronto ON 05-12-2016, Seattle WA 08-08-2018, Seattle 08-10-2018

EV Arlene Schnitzer Hall - July 14 2011, EV Benaroya Hall - July 16 2011

• i always loved Present Tense, but every time i hear the studio version i always thought it would be perfect for mike to rip into a blistering solo right after the tempo picks up.

PJ opened camden, '08 with Hard to Imagine. it shocked me how much it gripped me and pulled me in live. what a great opener.
  • RicsardRicsard Posts: 1,942
    Wishlist was a song that passed me by ...until I heard it in Vienna, it was so pure and honest, now it's among my biggest favourites. I mean I really love the 98% of their songs:D
    budapest.arnhem.antwerpen.vienna.madrid.katowice.nova_rock.nijmegen.rotterdam.berlin.dublin.belfast.london.venice.prague.stockholm.copenhagen.vienna.leeds.milton_keynes.padova.
    prague.seattle1.seattle2.chicago1
  • RideRickRideRick Hoorn Posts: 703
    Love Reign O'er me...

never knew they covered it and it's still inside my head since 2009-8-13 8-)
    | Pinkpop 1992 *BEST EVER | Rotterdam 1993 | Amsterdam 1996 | Pinkpop 2000 | Arnhem 2006 | Nijmegen 2007 | Rotterdam 2009 | Nijmegen 2010 | Amsterdam I + II 2012 ** | Amsterdam Eddie Vedder Solo 2012 First European Concert *EPIC*| Amsterdam I + II 2014 | Amsterdam Eddie Vedder Solo 2016 night I  | Amsterdam I + II 2018 | Amsterdam I -> Canceled  +  II 2022 *EPIC
  • ClaireackClaireack Posts: 13,561
    Never really got to grips with Bugs. Didn't understand it, don't like the noise. It's probably the only song that I skip over. I'm also not that fussed about Evolution, I enjoyed it much more live, love the music but really don't like EV singing on it (quite embarrassed to say that really).

I'm open to being convinced otherwise.
  • "Inside Job"... after an incredibly horrible break up, played a live version of this in my car one day and have listened to it ever since as my "pick me up" inspirational song...
  • as much as I hate to admit, "I Got ID,"

as I had only heard it now and then on the radio.

Until I was able to get a copy of it, on "Rearviewmirror"..and
    sit and listen to it - not on the radio--
    but on my own terms.

This song shook me to my core.

Pearl Jam had already made a large impression on my life.

Now it was even more so.
    09/23/1998 - West Palm Beach, FL - Coral Sky Ampitheater
    08/09/2000 - West Palm Beach, FL - Mars Music Ampitheater
    04/11/2003 - West Palm Beach, FL - Sound Advice Ampitheater
    10/08/2004 - Orlando, FL - Silver Spurs Arena (A.C.T. Tour)
    06/11/2008 - West Palm Beach, FL - Cruzan Ampitheater
  • its_okits_ok Posts: 198
    Present Tense has always been one of my favorites. Even have it is as wake up melody on my phone...so sweet to wake up to that calm intro every morning!!

For me I have to say WMA and Who You Are. Heard them both played in NY last year and they were both fantastic songs live, after that i listen to them alot.

For me its often the songs that I dont really like or pay attention to on record that blow me away live and afterwards start listening more to the records versions.
    PJ
    2000 Roskilde, 2006 Barcelona, 2007 London, Copenhagen, 2008 New York 1, New York 2, 2009 Berlin, 2010 Dublin, Belfast, 2012 Amsterdam 1, Stockholm, Oslo, Copenhagen, 2013 Brooklyn 1, Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014 Milan, Trieste, Berlin, Stockholm, Milton Keynes

EV
    2012 Manchester, London 1, London 2
  • oh hands down off he goes..
    wah
  • Brisk.Brisk. Posts: 11,486
    Present Tense seems to have followed me to all the shows i've been too so its kinda killed it quite a bit for me.
  • Half Full is one song I didn't really appreciate until I saw it live.
    everybody wants the most they can possibly get
    for the least they could possibly do
  • Never quite got the hold of You Are until I recently heard it whilst dating this girl which I knew would never stick due to fucked up circumstances... Its just a beautiful song. The lyrics are just immense and has a whole new meaning now.
    Prove them wrong.
  • always tought of Around the Bend as such a bore... until one day my wife took me to the sitting room, played the last No Code track on the stereo, and started dancing with me cheek to cheek :D now i listen to it quite often when we're away...
  • Yeah, Present Tense, heard song for first time live at Shepherds Bush Empire 2009 and can honestly say I was moved to tears along with several others.

Have you ideas on how this life ends!

Checked your hands and studied the lines

Have you the belief that the road ahead, ascends off into the light.

Peace
    shows: Shepherds Bush 110809
    Hyde Park 250610
    Bridge School Benefit 23/241010
    Manchester MEN 210612
    Amsterdam Ziggodome 270612
    Berlin '02' 040712
  • Push me Pull me. Hated the song (OK, maybe hate is too much), but didn't care for it. Saw it live - it was amazing.

Sad - I just heard it at Chicago 1. Frankly, I had only taken time to listen to it on LD a few times, and it was OK but didn't grab me. Saw it live and now it's one of my favs. I played it about 35 times straight in my car last week. Amazing lyrics - rocks all around.
  • JordyWordyJordyWordy Posts: 2,257
    always tought of Around the Bend as such a bore... until one day my wife took me to the sitting room, played the last No Code track on the stereo, and started dancing with me cheek to cheek :D now i listen to it quite often when we're away...

Thats a cool attachment to have to that song! I dont get the song, but i can totally see how it would fit that moment.

Despite knowing how incredible they were on boots, the first time i heard Indifference & Black was the most powerful thing ive experienced at a concert, i wasnt prepared for it at all. They came one after the other, at my first show, after a heavy break-up. I fell apart. That 12 minutes of performance dismantled my emotions, and i was a wreck. A euphoric wreck.

As for songs i "didnt get" that hit me live, the awards go to Unemployable & Glorified G. The outros to both songs are fantastic live. Whipping too, i never expected that song to sound so heavy.
  • pandorapandora Posts: 21,855
    Believe You Me
    awesome song- feeling it now more than ever- I need a Revival
    these times are so messed up