Options

Correct Spelling and Grammar

Comments

• Options
    Typing on computers is the first written language for modern youth, so I'm not surprised when people under 25 use terrible spelling. I am disappointed that even some people my own age (I'm nearly 36) have lost the ability to distinguish between there, their, and they're. They use all three at random.

One problem has bothered me for two decades, long before computers were popular: Adults who make plurals more complicated by making them possessive. I saw this was written on an invitation:
    "Call me with any thought's or idea's."

Gah! It's just thoughts and ideas.
    "May you live in interesting times."
  • Options
    xavier mcdanielxavier mcdaniel Somewhere in NYC Posts: 9,074
    I try to be, but sometimes it can't be avoided on instant messaging. I do have a friend who's a writer and he sends me stuff to look for grammar and other things. If I could figure out how, I'd like to do that as a living, helping people write concise and correctly.
    Reading 2004
    Albany 2006 Camden 2006 E. Rutherford 2, 2006 Inglewood 2006,
    Chicago 2007
    Camden 2008 MSG 2008 MSG 2008 Hartford 2008.
    Seattle 2009 Seattle 2009 Philadelphia 2009,Philadelphia 2009 Philadelphia 2009
    Hartford 2010 MSG 2010 MSG 2010
    Toronto 2011,Toronto 2011
    Wrigley Field 2013 Brooklyn 2013 Brooklyn 2013 Philadelphia 2, 2013
    Philadelphia 1, 2016 Philadelphia 2 2016 New York 2016 New York 2016 Fenway 1, 2016
    Fenway 2, 2018
    MSG 2022
    St. Paul, 1, St. Paul 2 2023
    "I play good, hard-nosed basketball.
    Things happen in the game. Nothing you
    can do. I don't go and say,
    "I'm gonna beat this guy up."
  • Options
    wolfbearwolfbear Posts: 3,965
    This thread is great! It's so nice to know I'm not the only one that is bothered by it. I have to say though, that I have gotten a bit used to it in boards, maybe because I know people are busy and used to texting and multi-tasking, but I truly can't get over it in books. Aren't there proof readers anymore? Spell check isn't enough. :lol:
    "I'd rather be with an animal." "Those that can be trusted can change their mind." "The in between is mine." "If I don't lose control, explore and not explode, a preternatural other plane with the power to maintain." "Yeh this is living." "Life is what you make it."
  • Options
    aNiMaLaNiMaL Posts: 7,118
    "I could care less." So, you care some.

"I didn't do nothing." So, you did something.
  • Options
    normnorm I'm always home. I'm uncool. Posts: 31,147
    when i first started on the boards it bothered me

now, i couldn't care less ;)

however, if and when i read poor grammar in print, i go insane :evil:
  • Options
    _Crazy_Mary__Crazy_Mary_ Posts: 1,299
    A guy I work with says "coonit" & "woonit." Drives me nuts.
    I really screwed that up. I really Schruted it.
  • Options
    EnkiduEnkidu So Cal Posts: 2,996
    You're and your.

My parents, both teachers, made me read Strunk and White, The Elements of Style. I still refer to it. I still make a bunch of mistakes. But I hate finding mistakes in newspapers - like how the NY Times refers to GIs (plural) as GI's. Hunh?
  • Options
    FifthelementFifthelement Lotusland Posts: 6,917

???? What do those even mean?
    "What the CANUCK happened?!? - Esquimalt Barber Shop
  • Options
    Who PrincessWho Princess out here in the fields Posts: 7,305

???? What do those even mean?
    Maybe "couldn't it" and "wouldn't it"? Just guessing. :?
    Whatever they mean, sounds annoying.
    "The stars are all connected to the brain."
  • Options
    pearljgirl2010pearljgirl2010 Shillington, PA/Tuckerton, NJ Posts: 3,428
    Rygar wrote:
    You're not the only one.
    Probably just the only one making a thread about it ;)

LOL! yeah....that's ok :-) At least I know I'm not all by my self out here, getting irritated at the lack o' spell check and stuff!

OOOH!! I just remembered..."Eats, Shoots, and Leaves" by Lynne Truss...you guys HAVE to read it :-)
    Need a tour Travel Agent??? Pick me :-)

Whatever you are, be a good one --Lincoln
  • Options
    Thoughts_ArriveThoughts_Arrive Melbourne, Australia Posts: 15,165
    Why do so many young people throw in the word ''like'' numerous times in sentences.
    Like you know I was like driving my car then like it was like weird.
    MORONS!
    Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014
  • Options
    WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,467
    The big boss where I work has no fucking idea how to use an apostrophe (you know, contractions and possesives). This guy seems to think you throw one on every plural....like book's, truck's, idiot's, etc. I just shudder when I read his emails (or, is it "email's"? :mrgreen: ). Supposedly, I'm the "smart guy" because I can actually apply a few third grade spelling and grammar rules.

bobsqu.gif
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Options
    rival.rival. Chicago Posts: 7,776
    to
    too
    two

their
    there
    they're

your
    you're
  • Options
    bmwweirdoguybmwweirdoguy Right of Seattle Posts: 228
    "Begs the question" (used improperly 99% of the time) vs. "Raises the question" (what most people mean when they use the other)

'nuff said...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Begging_the_question
    "Trial and error isn't a bad way to learn how to build an aircraft, but it can be a disastrous way to learn how to build a civilization..."
  • Options
    decides2dreamdecides2dream Posts: 14,976
    Typing on computers is the first written language for modern youth, so I'm not surprised when people under 25 use terrible spelling. I am disappointed that even some people my own age (I'm nearly 36) have lost the ability to distinguish between there, their, and they're. They use all three at random.

One problem has bothered me for two decades, long before computers were popular: Adults who make plurals more complicated by making them possessive. I saw this was written on an invitation:

OMG.....

THANK YOU!!!
    there is a sweethear of a poster on this board, posts a LOT on the porch, great guy....but yikes! he ALWAYS does this! drives me batty. i feel like saying that just b/c there is an "s" at the end of the sentence, doesn't mean you need to add an apostrophe everytime. :roll: :? :twisted:

and sure, pretty much every other pet peeve already listed, is a pet peeve of mine as well. :D
    could of/could've and should of/should've are biggies for me, despise "vould care less"....definately/definitely.....oh the list goes on and on. however, i get shit for my spacing between thoughts here :P so i definitely try to not point out the errors or others, just move along....but you bet, i love threads like these, make me feel much more sane. :lol:
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

I am myself like you somehow

• Options
    I love this thread!

In addition to just about everything already mentioned, I'd like to add one of my own poor spelling pet peeves: when people spell it truely. Urrrgghhh! There's no "e" in truly!
    “I worked really hard on this set. I just told you we’re gonna have a great night, so I don’t need any fuckin’ help from anybody.” EV, 7/2/09
  • Options
    normnorm I'm always home. I'm uncool. Posts: 31,147
    Bring Versus Take

my mom pointed it out to me once and now it drives me crazy!! :twisted:

http://grammar.quickanddirtytips.com/br ... -take.aspx
  • Options
    LizardLizard So Cal Posts: 12,073
    the random apostrophes always drive me batty. ESPECIALLY when I see that I have done it!!! :o

:D
    So I'll just lie down and wait for the dream
    Where I'm not ugly and you're lookin' at me
  • Options
    The ChampThe Champ Posts: 4,063
    U guy's r nuts. Their is way to much wining goin on hear..i truely could care less bout you're ridiculou's thread :arrow: ..
    'I want to hurry home to you
    put on a slow, dumb show for you
    and crack you up
    so you can put a blue ribbon on my brain
    god I'm very, very frightening
    and I'll overdo it'
  • Options
    _Crazy_Mary__Crazy_Mary_ Posts: 1,299
    I'm the specials-board nazi at work. It's embarrassing to me if the specials have spelling errors:
    Filet Mingnon, proscuitto, parmesian, pablano, buerre blanc, mozzerella, hazlenut, crimini. I go through and fix them for everybody because really how many times do I have to tell you how to spell poblano????
    I really screwed that up. I really Schruted it.
  • Options
    decides2dreamdecides2dream Posts: 14,976
    The Champ wrote:
    U guy's r nuts. Their is way to much wining goin on hear..i truely could care less bout you're ridiculou's thread :arrow: ..

:mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen:
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

I am myself like you somehow

• Options
    I find it amusing when people try to appear educated by using whom. In the Pets section of Craigslist there are always phrases such as, "The person whom adopts this dog."
    "Whomever takes her."
    When in doubt, DON'T! Using whom inappropriately looks/sounds worse than not using it at all. I had forgotten the grammar lessons I learned in school about the proper use of whom. But from hearing others, I was able to make a simple rule about it: Use whom like him, and use who like he.

Why has the word they become singular?
    "If a person does not vote, they can't complain."
    "Someone gets behind the wheel. They have been drinking."
    The correct pronoun is he. He can't complain. He has been drinking. Is "they" the politically correct term for an individual, because "he" is too masculine? I can say "He or she" in about a second. It's three easy syllables!

Let's not forget alot.
    "May you live in interesting times."
  • Options
    WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,467
    Lizard wrote:
    the random apostrophes always drive me batty. ESPECIALLY when I see that I have done it!!! :o

:D

I have a bootleg, bought-on-the-street shirt that says "PLAYOFF'S" on the back. :shock: Other than that, it's a cool shirt.
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Options
    Indifference71Indifference71 Chicago Posts: 14,744
    Seeing "I would of", or "could of", or anything like that, actually makes me collapse into a shivering wreck of pure rage.

This one drives me absolutely fucking insane.
  • Options
    This is awesome! horray for my own thread ;-) Some of you may remember me from the Volcom Hawaii shirt thread, because I bitched about Honolulu being spelled HONOLUULU on the back...

I saw a guy wearing a shirt that said "in rememberance of the 9/11 hero's"

eeeeeeeeeeekkkk!!!

• Options
    HeavyHandsHeavyHands Posts: 2,130
    I saw a guy wearing a shirt that said "in rememberance of the 9/11 hero's"

Jesus...
    "A lot more people are capable of being big out there that just don't give themselves a chance." -Stone Gossard
  • Options
    evenkatevenkat Posts: 380
    I'm the specials-board nazi at work. It's embarrassing to me if the specials have spelling errors:
    Filet Mingnon, proscuitto, parmesian, pablano, buerre blanc, mozzerella, hazlenut, crimini. I go through and fix them for everybody because really how many times do I have to tell you how to spell poblano????

I was going to comment on spelling and grammar but now I'm just hungry.
    "...believe in lies...to get by...it's divine...whoa...oh, you know what its like..."
  • Options
    evenkat wrote:

I was going to comment on spelling and grammar but now I'm just hungry.

hee hee!! I was thinking the same thing...mmmm proscuitto

• Options
    catefrancescatefrances Posts: 29,003

ugh. :roll:
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • Options
    LizardjamLizardjam Posts: 1,121
    Why has the word they become singular?
    "If a person does not vote, they can't complain."
    "Someone gets behind the wheel. They have been drinking."
    The correct pronoun is he. He can't complain. He has been drinking. Is "they" the politically correct term for an individual, because "he" is too masculine? I can say "He or she" in about a second. It's three easy syllables!

Feminism.
    bugs in the way...I feel about you

"New music, new friends. Pearl Jam."

I like our socks. I hear we make a fine sock. I always say, You might not love our records, but I think you'll like our socks. - Stone

"This record is us speaking out in class." -EV on PJ