Options

I didn't own Binaural (or Backspacer/RB)Do now!

13»

Comments

• Options
    cfbd68cfbd68 Posts: 228
    Come on Uncle, listen to the damned album and tell us what you think of it!!! The waiting is driving us mad.

LOL!

3912401716_925f8d6968.jpg

I’ve given some thought today as to why I let this album pass me by and I think Binaural came out just before I saw them at Wembley in 2000. I was just about to go travelling around South America for a few months and had very little money so decided to hear the tracks live at the gig and get the album when I returned. Obviously that never happened and I later picked up the Mansfield Massachusetts boot which had most of the songs on there.

The album sounds amazing, the ‘binaural’ effect is very noticeable on a few tracks imo. Of the girl especially with the jangley acoustic in one zone and the Neil Young style power strum off some place else. Really beautiful song. The lower vocal on Breakerfall was a nice surprise as was the cello on Parting Ways - anything that doesn’t translate to the live version basically gave me goosebumps. Still not a fan of Evacuation, I find the chorus a little annoying. The track that was relatively new to me, probably only heard it once before somewhere, was Rival. The dog at the start is awesome and the whoops and yelling, piano, its all just fantastic! Soon forget takes me back to Wembley gig when Eddie took to the stage for an encore and played a ukulele and my head exploded, the thought of him alone on stage in that huge stadium sitting on a stool playing that small instrument just makes me smile every time I hear it. So yeah, bloody great album this, very angry, a little sad and occasionally cheeky. Will be interesting experiencing Backspacer after getting into this one I expect. Played Binaural twice today and could do with something a little uplifting now…maybe I need a fix of The Fixer.

Fit's well in that little collection, doesn't it? Very nice response. Glad you liked it.

'Evacuation' gets a lot of shit for the chorus being "annoying" or "going nowhere" but I think it is clever because of the simplicity. I think Ed is using his voice just like a warning siren - wailing monotonously, panicking. It reminds me of the noise of a WW2 air raid siren (not that I was there, you realise!) and I think that fits the meaning of the song.

Evac-u-a-tion...Evac-u-a-tion...Evac-u-a-tion...Evac-u-a-tion...Evac-u-a-tion

Now imagine people running around in a blind panic, breaking shop fronts to steal the cheese and canned goods and you'll enjoy the song more...
    I see where your coming from with Evac-u-a-tion. But when I hear that chorus I want to EEEE- ject :lol:
    Seems that needlessly it's getting harder, to find an approach and a way to live
    Constant Recoil..Sometimes life, Don't leave you alone
    When the anxious is the present, unwrap your gifts, take your time
  • Options
    SpagsSpags Leigh-on-Sea, UK Posts: 2,928
    It certainly does fit nicely, its a tight squeeze in there now though so I guess Mirrorball will have to shift up a shelf when Backspacer arrives.

I'm hip to the song, its clever but very skippable :D I just read the sleeve notes about the concept art - I'd originally seen the cover and thought it was some sort of sonic pattern which made more sense when I read about the binaural technique, but its an hourglass nebula. Wow! The GIANT eye makes me think of the Grievance lyrics. Love the portrait photos taken by the producer too.

I must sound like such a noob... :oops: :P
    Nature drunk and High
  • Options
    patria_13 wrote:
    But... having said that I do think it's a bit of a shame not to have their studio albums - that's the way that Pearl Jam wanted us to hear those songs at that point in time. If any tracks are also available as live versions on other albums or bootlegs I see that as a bonus, but not a replacement to having the studio versions.

ok Ihope that I´m better fan now and fit enough to be here because I just ordered bunch of PJ CDs and throw in some non-studio album as well.didnt get Ten release because they didnt have the one I wanted at this point :( Did not get Riot Act CD because I have legal double tape (!) copies ;)
    No matter how cold the winter ,there´s a springtime ahead...

• Options
    Should I be ashamed of myself. I'm not sure how this has happened, I'm pretty sure I know all the songs on the album but I've never had it in my collection. I have a few gig boots so that could be where I know them from, I went through a phase of thinking that Pearl Jam songs sound much better live so possibly skipped this one. Am I missing out on something amazing? Am I about to get stoned to death and thrown off the forum?
    $6 at wal mart or best buy.
  • Options
    dcfaithfuldcfaithful Posts: 13,076
    groovyf wrote:
    bj2307 wrote:
    The album is worth buying for Sleight of Hand...

That's exactly what I was going to post :D

Yup, my thoughts exactly.
    7/2/06 - Denver, CO
    6/12/08 - Tampa, FL
    8/23/09 - Chicago, IL
    9/28/09 - Salt Lake City, UT (11 years too long!!!)
    9/03/11 - East Troy, WI - PJ20 - Night 1
    9/04/11 - East Troy, WI - PJ20 - Night 2
  • Options
    LOVE THIS ALBUM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This album ages like fine wine, to me. I like it more and more each passing year. I like the vibe, the mood, of the album. Dark, mysterious with buzzsaw guitars and Who-ish type short rockers and some soulful bluesy guitar songs (NAIS, Of the Girl). God I love this album. I always consider Vitalogy and No Code to be my favorites, but I'd say over the past decade No Code is the only PJ album I've played more often than Binaural. Granted, I play 'em all a lot ;-) but I'd say Binaural gets tons of play.
  • Options
    On a side -- but related -- note, are any of the Lost Dogs that came from the Binaural sessions in the "binaural" format?

For some reason, i'd never realized this about the recording process and, now, it appears that i'll be spinning Binaural tonight after the wife and kid go to bed.

Additionally -- is the binaural effect better on CD or vinyl? I've got both -- just trying to determine which one to sit down with.

/God, i love this board ...
    If you hate something,
    Don't you do it, too.
  • Options
    Should I be ashamed of myself. I'm not sure how this has happened, I'm pretty sure I know all the songs on the album but I've never had it in my collection. I have a few gig boots so that could be where I know them from, I went through a phase of thinking that Pearl Jam songs sound much better live so possibly skipped this one. Am I missing out on something amazing? Am I about to get stoned to death and thrown off the forum?

LOL!!! Better get on that my friend!!!

Yes - an amazing record.

Go buy it, throw yourself on the couch, get stoned...and get back to me :)
    PEARL JAM - It's what's for breakfast

"Promise only what you can deliver. Then deliver more than you promise."
    --Anonymous

The liberties of a people never were, nor ever will be, secure when the transactions of their rulers may be concealed from them. -Patrick Henry, revolutionary (1736-1799)
  • Options
    The first 30 seconds of Of the Girl on headphones is reason enough to own it.
  • Options
    The first 30 seconds of Of the Girl on headphones is reason enough to own it.

Good call. That song is gorgeous and haunting. Pretty killer live too (haven't played it at any concerts I've attended but I've heard it on plenty of boots). Love when Mike tears up the solo live before Ed starts singing. I think it's a St. Louis or Boise show from 2000 where he just rips it up.
  • Options
    I've been paintballing all day, I'm a broken man - but just received word that there is a package waiting for me at home...will it be Backspacer...
    Nature drunk and High
  • Options
    Got a picture message from my girlfriend of a CD shaped package and the text read “Shall I throw this in the bin?”, I’d been banging on about this new album a fair bit, but of course she was only joking around. I’d spent the day shooting children in the balls with a paint gun and falling over tree stumps so this was pretty much the best text I’d ever had. But by the time I’d made it home I was in no fit state to enjoy anything beyond opening it up and digging on the artwork. While I was running through the woods she had gone to our small independent record shop and enquired about Backspacer on Vinyl - they had one copy but were unable to sell it to her until Monday, she explained that we both work during the week so couldn’t he look the other way on this occasion. He said he couldn’t, but would be in the store from 6am tomorrow so would let us in on the way to work which was also very fantastic news. Off I went to bed and got a good eleven hours sleep.

Woke this morning fresh as a daisy, cooked a fry-up and sat with a cup of tea in the lounge and listened while my girlfriend wrote addresses onto envelopes for our wedding ‘save the date cards’. The album is bloody brilliant, short but packed, crammed, stuffed. Sounds that I would never expect to hear from Pearl Jam surprised kicking me out of my comfort zone. So much piano, something my girlfriend really enjoyed hearing and left me thinking that Boom will be even more of a presence during the tour. Gonna see my friend is rad as is the dirty sound of Johnny Guitar. The high energy songs really delivered and though I’d heard Got Some and Supersonic already, experiencing them in context with the rest of the album made them sound even better some how. My girlfriend LOVED Unthought Known, the slower songs I think will need a couple of listens to let the rest of the band come forward - at the moment I’m just tripping off of Eddies vocals. The End is stunning and did literarily leave me stunned. I said to my girlfriend “That’s a lot to take in from 30 minutes.” She looked at me and said “I guess I don’t need to ask you if you like it…” Feels like when you meet somebody that you know you are gonna be really tight with and now comes the part where you get to know them.

3937139620_9e8a7b0f7a.jpg
    Nature drunk and High
  • Options
    Got a picture message from my girlfriend of a CD shaped package and the text read “Shall I throw this in the bin?”, I’d been banging on about this new album a fair bit, but of course she was only joking around. I’d spent the day shooting children in the balls with a paint gun and falling over tree stumps so this was pretty much the best text I’d ever had. But by the time I’d made it home I was in no fit state to enjoy anything beyond opening it up and digging on the artwork. While I was running through the woods she had gone to our small independent record shop and enquired about Backspacer on Vinyl - they had one copy but were unable to sell it to her until Monday, she explained that we both work during the week so couldn’t he look the other way on this occasion. He said he couldn’t, but would be in the store from 6am tomorrow so would let us in on the way to work which was also very fantastic news. Off I went to bed and got a good eleven hours sleep.

Woke this morning fresh as a daisy, cooked a fry-up and sat with a cup of tea in the lounge and listened while my girlfriend wrote addresses onto envelopes for our wedding ‘save the date cards’. The album is bloody brilliant, short but packed, crammed, stuffed. Sounds that I would never expect to hear from Pearl Jam surprised kicking me out of my comfort zone. So much piano, something my girlfriend really enjoyed hearing and left me thinking that Boom will be even more of a presence during the tour. Gonna see my friend is rad as is the dirty sound of Johnny Guitar. The high energy songs really delivered and though I’d heard Got Some and Supersonic already, experiencing them in context with the rest of the album made them sound even better some how. My girlfriend LOVED Unthought Known, the slower songs I think will need a couple of listens to let the rest of the band come forward - at the moment I’m just tripping off of Eddies vocals. The End is stunning and did literarily leave me stunned. I said to my girlfriend “That’s a lot to take in from 30 minutes.” She looked at me and said “I guess I don’t need to ask you if you like it…” Feels like when you meet somebody that you know you are gonna be really tight with and now comes the part where you get to know them.

Nice review, Spaggles.

I trawled the record stores here from Monday throughout the week without luck of an early copy. Then I went to play footie on Thursday and my "Pearl Jam mate" who plays had bought the CD on the way there and got me a copy. Result. So, I woke up early on Friday with the kids. Now, normally I'm the world's least willing father in the mornings but I had a reason, didn't I?

I've played it about so many times already, that's the beauty of a short album, it's like a quick hit. It's brief but there isn't much more I want from a record, it's got a bit of everything you need. Mind you, Pearl Jam have fucked with my mind on this album. It's hard to believe it is them but I can see myself playing this album a lot in the future whenever I need a pick up. Not on vinyl bought in Poland, though...

SHOP ONE
    ME: Is there a vinyl?
    SHOP ASSISTANT: Dunno
    ME: Can you check?
    SA: No, you've already got it on CD, you are wasting my time. Next please!

SHOP TWO:
    ME: Have you got the vinyl?
    SA: Dunno
    ME: Can you check?
    SA: (annoyed) Okay.... it should be here next week but I reckon we'll have it in October.
    ME: Can you reserve me one?
    SA: No
    ME: Can you order me one?
    ME: Can you recommend somewhere I can pick one up?
    ME: Thanks for your help.
    we're all going to the same place...
  • Options
    Sounds like you've been banging your head against a brick wall there mate! Tell you what, when I pick up the album on vinyl tomorrow, I'll be sure to post a pic in here just for you! :D

Downloaded the album for Rockband on the 360 and had a blast with it this afternoon. Most of the songs are really easy on Medium - this was my first go for example:

gotsome100medium.jpg

But on Hard they are nice and challenging (for me anyway), while still seeming possible to 100%. Johnny Guitar, Unthought Known and Amongst the Waves I got pretty close. Not attempted Expert yet or played bass - that should be very interesting as the bass seems rather low key on this ablum. :?
    Nature drunk and High
  • Options
    Picked the vinyl up from my local indie at 7am this morning on way into work, its a thing of beauty!

Love the etching...

3941526967_310f203109.jpg

And it glows in the dark!!!

3942522318_7fbab01d55.jpg

:ugeek: :ugeek: :ugeek: :ugeek: :ugeek:
    Nature drunk and High