Options

I didn't own Binaural (or Backspacer/RB)Do now!

SpagsSpags Leigh-on-Sea, UK Posts: 2,928
edited September 2009 in The Porch
Should I be ashamed of myself. I'm not sure how this has happened, I'm pretty sure I know all the songs on the album but I've never had it in my collection. I have a few gig boots so that could be where I know them from, I went through a phase of thinking that Pearl Jam songs sound much better live so possibly skipped this one. Am I missing out on something amazing? Am I about to get stoned to death and thrown off the forum?
Nature drunk and High
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    mjbmjb Posts: 1,314
    edited August 2009
    "The binaural experience is striking, and requires no special equipment besides stereo headphones and binaural recordings. While binaural doesn't depend on the highest fidelity to achieve its amazing realism, the better the playback equipment and headphones, the better will be the sound. On the other hand, the simplest ear-buds and a portable CD player can provide plenty of binaural thrills! The listener is placed exactly where the performance or sound originated, with sounds localized in a 360-degree sphere around one. The live ambience of the hall in which a musical performance takes place is preserved more precisely than with an expensive multi-speaker surround sound system."

http://www.binaural.com/binfaq.html

PJ put a lot of love into that album -- you need to experience it
    Post edited by mjb on
  • Options
    Great read, thanks for posting that linky. Very excited to listen to this now and feel a bit foolish for not knowing about the recording before - will see if its in stock anywhere this afternoon! :D
    Nature drunk and High
  • Options
    The album is worth buying for Sleight of Hand and Of The Girl alone, not to mention the rest. Have to say that Binaural is my 2nd favorite PJ album. You'd be doing yourself a disservice if you don't pick it up. Enjoy!
    he still gives his love, he just gives it away, the love he receives is the love that he'll save...
  • Options
    PlanktonPlankton Posts: 692
    Binaural was actually one of the last albums I got too, actually. I knew most of it thanks to bootlegs/compliations and my brothers having it, but it took me ages to actually get a copy and have it there with the rest of my PJ stuff. It's one of their albums that has grown on me the most from it's initial listen, too.
  • Options
    halszka123halszka123 Posts: 1,109
    I surely won't stone You. Three years ago I didn't have legal Lost Dogs and self-titled, though I am a fan for over 16 years.

And Binaural is still undiscovered album for me. i know songs included in this one, but i know time i will really appreciate this album will come. i am still not ready for it. The same was with Riot Act.

And the only true reason for me to buy Binaural is supporting The Band. of course this is my reason.
    Not 10c member? Have sth to say? write to me - I'll put it on the forum
    halszka123@op.pl
  • Options
    Brisk.Brisk. Posts: 11,486
    It's one of, if not the best records...and hearing it live...well its about a bajillion times better. Thats when they do decide to play it tbh.
  • Options
    Thoughts_ArriveThoughts_Arrive Melbourne, Australia Posts: 15,165
    Get it...NOW!
    Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014
  • Options
    slightofjeffslightofjeff Posts: 7,757
    I'm sure you can get it cheap on Amazon.

Just buy it, and be sure to listen to it on headphones. If you smoke weed, it would probably help.
    everybody wants the most they can possibly get
    for the least they could possibly do
  • Options
    groovyfgroovyf Posts: 173
    bj2307 wrote:
    The album is worth buying for Sleight of Hand...

That's exactly what I was going to post :D
    :: Caesaria - Israel 1995, Wembley 1996, Manchester 2000, Leeds 2006, Manchester 2009, Manchester 2012, Manchester 2012 (EV), Leeds 2014, London 2018 ::
  • Options
    MrMerkinballMrMerkinball Posts: 1,978
    I have grown to like Binaural more and more over time.

For me though, (don't get mad - I said for ME) the album was brilliant in parts (Of the Girl, Nothing as it Seems, Sleight of Hand, Parting ways, Grievance and Insignificance)

....and very weak in other parts: (Evacuation, Light Years, Thin Air).

Of the Girl itself make it worth owning
  • Options
    Thoughts_ArriveThoughts_Arrive Melbourne, Australia Posts: 15,165
    Light Years weak? :o
    Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014
  • Options
    MrMerkinballMrMerkinball Posts: 1,978
    Light Years weak? :o
    IMO....very weak
  • Options
    mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,385

you can buy it used on Amazon for $2.58
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • Options
    BronyBrony Posts: 628
    mfc2006 wrote:

wow! and 13.00 for shipping?
  • Options
    todd1974todd1974 Posts: 69
    Do you guys really notice a difference in sound between Binaural and any other pearl jam album (or any album)?

I remember all the hype before the release about the binaural recording process etc and how spectacular it was going to be, and then I remember the disappointment in realizing that it really didn't sound any different.

what do you guys think?
  • Options
    mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,385
    Brony wrote:
    mfc2006 wrote:

wow! and 13.00 for shipping?

umm...no. shipping is $2-3.
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • Options
    iamicaiamica Chicago Posts: 2,628
    Pick it up. Seriously. It's an underrated gem.
    Chicago 2000 : Chicago 2003 : Chicago 2006 : Summerfest 2006 : Lollapalooza 2007 : Chicago 2009 : Noblesville (Indy) 2010 : PJ20 (East Troy) 2011 : Wrigley Field 2013 : Milwaukee (Yield) 2014 : Wrigley Field 2016
  • Options
    i shit and i stinki shit and i stink Posts: 1,122
    edited August 2009
    No shame there, it got panned by a lot of people but it really is a f*****g amazing album. I didn't get it at first but I kept going back to it and finally realised that it was tied as my fave PJ album. It takes its time to grow on you but it is an album that the band pushed a lot of boundaries on and deserves more attention than it gets.

Someone here wrote that Light Years is weak... that person was WRONG!
    Post edited by i shit and i stink on
    we're all going to the same place...
  • Options
    Wow highstreet retail is really fucked at the moment isn't it, I knew it was bad but Southend (large town in South East of England) only has an HMV left and that just had Best Of and Redux in stock. Looks like Amazon is gonna be the answer. Did pick up the Delux Ed of The Who Live At Leeds tho which I'd heard good things about somewhere (think it was mentioned on the All That's Sacred podcast) so not a total waste of time! Gives me a chance to snaffle out some weed too.
    Nature drunk and High
  • Options
    PaigePaige Posts: 365
    I really like Binaural. But it's a must-have in CD form in my collection for "Of the Girl," such an amazing sounding song on record. I love it live, but it's just so visceral on Binaural.
  • Options
    Better DanBetter Dan Posts: 5,684
    Binaural got me into this band. Get it! ;)
    2003: San Antonio, Houston, Dallas, Seattle; 2005: Monterrey; 2006: Chicago 1 & 2, Grand Rapids, Cleveland, Detroit; 2008: West Palm Beach, Tampa; 2009: Austin, LA 3 & 4, San Diego; 2010: Kansas City, St. Louis, Columbus, Indianapolis; 2011: PJ20 1 & 2; 2012: Missoula; 2013: Dallas, Oklahoma City, Seattle; 2014: Tulsa; 2016: Columbia, New York City 1 & 2; 2018: London, Seattle 1 & 2; 2021: Ohana; 2022: Oklahoma City
  • Options
    j-bugj-bug Posts: 272
    i dont like it.but i think that must be only me.i think the structure is wrong,and the music is pretty muddy.and i was really disapointed after reading the lyrics and thinking it was gonna be amazing.having said that,i belive in rounding out and completing a collection.
    Seek,
    Find be yourself.
    Don't follow the herd.
    Don't repeat in spite of the encores.
    Be yourself.
    Otherwise you'll bore us.
  • Options
    megatronmegatron Posts: 3,420
    bj2307 wrote:
    The album is worth buying for Sleight of Hand and Of The Girl alone, not to mention the rest. Have to say that Binaural is my 2nd favorite PJ album. You'd be doing yourself a disservice if you don't pick it up. Enjoy!

those songs are an experience
  • Options
    todd1974 wrote:
    Do you guys really notice a difference in sound between Binaural and any other pearl jam album (or any album)?
    not really. maybe a little on my ipod phones.
  • Options
    Shunnnn!!!!!!!! Shun the non believer!
  • Options
    doomponydoompony Wellington, NZ Posts: 4,497
    you should be a LITTLE bit ashamed, at least.

everytime you hear it on headphones you hear something new. it's choice.
  • Options
    doomponydoompony Wellington, NZ Posts: 4,497
    bettielee wrote:
    Shunnnn!!!!!!!! Shun the non believer!

heeeeeeeeehe!
  • Options
    DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,412
    Head to Walmart and get it for $5.

It's my favorite on some days.
  • Options
    Big Giant HeadBig Giant Head Posts: 67
    edited August 2010
    its all good now :)
    Post edited by Big Giant Head on
    No matter how cold the winter ,there´s a springtime ahead...