Options

*** Outside Lands Festival Fanviews Here 8/28/09 ***

Comments

• Options
    SOLAT319SOLAT319 Posts: 4,564
    potnik wrote:

6) First Encore -- Eddie comes out and starts singing Ole, Ole, Ole, Ole the crowd joins in and Eddie does patented dance 213, he then makes a comment about how it looks like Encinada or Encinitas, smells like it, yet they are in San Francisco.

He said it smelled like Amsterdam. Not Encinitas.
    I have no patience for bad music and stupid people...

The whole world will be different soon the whole world will be RELIEVED

#resistgezi #resistturkey #resisttaksim #direnturkiye #direngezi
    #standingman #duranadam
  • Options
    mjb wrote:
    anyone check out that special Ames Bros booth? Weren't they selling some shirts and other merch?

Yea the Ames booth was selling a PJ T-shirt with the same design of their limited edition snake board poster print. Very nice shirt and quality but the sizes run tad bit small FYI. I bought a large and I'm glad I did because it fits me more like a medium but it's still roomy enough for me to wear.

Peace,

RM

Oh man! I would have loved to see you! Where abouts were you during the set?

#standingman #duranadam
  • Options
    tchiggs wrote:
    that bagel saved my life at the end of incubus....

I second that!

#standingman #duranadam
  • Options
    Phild44Phild44 Posts: 48
    wow, was hoping for throw your hatred down at one of the uk dates (think it was on shepherds bush setlist)

I was hoping for it in Toronto, saw on the setlist it got scratched, bummer, but you knew it was gonna come out sometime...and there it is as part of two Neil Young 2nd encore.

That show has a great heavy rockin' setlist, nice to hear about a few pits and surfers :evil:
  • Options
    Phild44 wrote:
    wow, was hoping for throw your hatred down at one of the uk dates (think it was on shepherds bush setlist)

That show has a great heavy rockin' setlist, nice to hear about a few pits and surfers :evil:

Yeah believe me, it wasn't that nice if you were front row and dumb asses were moshing to betterman.
    Kansas City 1998, Kansas City 2000, EV- Santa Cruz 2008, EV- Berkeley #1 2008, EV- Berkeley #2 2008, Outside Lands 2009, Seattle #2 2009, Portland 2009, LA #3 2009, LA #4 2009, SD 2009, KC 2010, STL 2010, CBUS 2010, Indy 2010, Cle 2010, Buffalo 2010, Boston 2010, Newark 2010, MSG 1 2010, MSG 2 2010, PJ20 1 2011, PJ20 2 2011, Midtown 2012, Worcester 1 2013, Worcester 2 2013, OKC 2013, STL 2014, Tulsa 2014, Lincoln 2014.
  • Options
    Red MosqitoRed Mosqito Posts: 1,229
    SOLAT319 wrote:
    mjb wrote:
    anyone check out that special Ames Bros booth? Weren't they selling some shirts and other merch?

Yea the Ames booth was selling a PJ T-shirt with the same design of their limited edition snake board poster print. Very nice shirt and quality but the sizes run tad bit small FYI. I bought a large and I'm glad I did because it fits me more like a medium but it's still roomy enough for me to wear.

Peace,

RM

Oh man! I would have loved to see you! Where abouts were you during the set?

Yea I was in the back of the crowd for this show as I barely made it there since I had to work all day. Plus I had to take it easy for this show as I was in the hospital a couple weeks earlier. Don't worry, I'm all good now and I really did enjoy myself and thought it was a great show even with being stuck in the back.

I'll be at the San Diego show and will be ready to fully rock out as I'm sure I will be completely recovered by this time. Sounds like you had a excellent time on the rail though!!

Peace..

RM
  • Options
    I must say I would have loved a little red mosquito at the show......
    Kansas City 1998, Kansas City 2000, EV- Santa Cruz 2008, EV- Berkeley #1 2008, EV- Berkeley #2 2008, Outside Lands 2009, Seattle #2 2009, Portland 2009, LA #3 2009, LA #4 2009, SD 2009, KC 2010, STL 2010, CBUS 2010, Indy 2010, Cle 2010, Buffalo 2010, Boston 2010, Newark 2010, MSG 1 2010, MSG 2 2010, PJ20 1 2011, PJ20 2 2011, Midtown 2012, Worcester 1 2013, Worcester 2 2013, OKC 2013, STL 2014, Tulsa 2014, Lincoln 2014.
  • Options
    DD10798DD10798 San Francisco Posts: 44
    Great day in the park! Waking distance from my house, great weather & good food. And did I mention the bands?

Highlights:

Built To Spill: Great as always. Ed even gave them props during the PJ set.

The National:. Been listening to them for a few years, first time seeing them. Totally awesome, I don't know why these guys are not HUGE. Great to see them on one of the small stages, I was 15 ft from the stage. I've heard mixed reviews of their live shows, but they were great. Check them out!!

Pearl Jam: You know you are going to get a great show and this one did not disappoint. I made it inside the funky "cross" barrier on Stone's side. Crowd was cool, lot of singing along and no pushing. I was expecting a big push of people once they started, but it didn't come. Everyone was enjoying themselves and on their best behavior. No complaints about the crowd near me at all. For a set that did not include my favorites RVM or Porch, I still left completely satisfied. In My Tree, Down, MFC were nice additions to the "hits" and new songs. Mike's Even Flow solo was off the hook. I have seen the boys live a bunch of times, but this was the first behind the head solo. Totally rocking!

I just hope they come back to SF soon so us 10clubbers can secure some good seats for a regular PJ show.

David

ps-saw Calexico last night at the Independent. Another totally underrated band. Check them out too.
    1995: San Francisco, San Jose
    1997: Oakland
    1998: Inglewood
    2000: Las Vegas, San Bernardino, Sacramento, Mt. View
    2003: Mt. View, Mt View (Bridge School night 1)
    2006: Santa Barbara, San Francisco II
    2009: San Francisco
    2010: Mt. View (Bridge School night 1)
    2013: Oakland
    2020: Oakland I, Oakland II
  • Options
    tchiggs wrote:
    Phild44 wrote:

Yeah believe me, it wasn't that nice if you were front row and dumb asses were moshing to betterman.

I didn't mind the moshing or crowd surfers much, because I was in front of it and I could use the rail to my advantage (bagel strength ;) ). Also, our security guard, Jermey (an easy name to remember for a PJ concert) was really great at pointing at on comming crowd surfers. When Jeremy pointed, I turned around and lifted over the guy or girl (tossing more than lifting for the ladies 8-) ) over the rail. Job done....continue to be amazed by Mike.

Jermey and his colleague (the one who looked like Ty Pennington of Extreme Makeover Home Edition) also did a great job of giving us some light while feeding Mike's picks. Two thumbs up to the security. Friendly and kicking ass when needed (see the shirtless, bloody, and drunk dude during Silversun Pickups). Sidenote - the guy who was taken down by security apparently came to the show to see PJ from Virginia and had a hotel room for the weekend. At least for one night, the guy didn't need a hotel room.
    "Underneath this smile lies everything - all my hopes, anger, pride and shame."
  • Options
    mookie how you find these things out is beyond me...
  • Options
    kalikatkalikat Posts: 68
    "My biggest issue though was with the crowd. I kept expecting Ed to say something about it. It was just an incredibly lame crowd.'

I don't know where you were but sounds like it sucked to be there. From where I was, front right about 10 rows back from the stage, the crowd was TOTALLY into it....everyone singing, dancing, screaming. That's why Ed didn't say anything about it.
    **There is a sickness, a sickness coming over me - like watching freedom, being sucked straight out to sea**
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    tchiggs wrote:

When Ed came out and started talking about being holed up in his room during that SF show in 95, I thought they would play that song - last time I heard them play it I thought he said he wrote that song while he was sick in the hotel room?

Highlight of show for me was I am Mine. Love that song. Definitely a top hits sort of show, but that was a smart move on the band's part for playing a festival. Everyone who loves the band but never seen them before got to sing along for all their favorite songs, even tho die-hards like us may have been left longing for a ... Present Tense perhaps? (I know I was) I talked to several people the next day who said it was their first show and they had such a good time.

You could tell the whole band was totally grooving on the amount of people that turned out. Ed commented on the volume of people when he first came out on stage. McCready was the showman, as usual. I was kicking myself for not being 10 people back from him instead of Stone. Mike and Jeff were all over each other, dueling banjos and throwing picks at each other. It was great.

Ed had his ladies on stage right - during Crazy Mary he went over and his little girl came running up to him, dancing around. He sat for a while with her on his lap, watching the band. Very sweet.
    Post edited by kalikat on
    **There is a sickness, a sickness coming over me - like watching freedom, being sucked straight out to sea**
  • Options
    walkunafraidwalkunafraid Posts: 2,557
    I brought my little brother (he's 22) to this show; he's usually a hip-hop head and my primary persuasion for getting him to come along was to see Q-Tip (who put on a great set, by the way).

By the end of the night, however, my bro was raving about PJ and calling their set one of the top 3 he has ever seen. Being able to transform a complete novice into an awestruck admirer -- THAT'S the mark of a great band.

Yes, it was a greatest hits set, but very fitting to a festival atmosphere. In truth, I'm looking forward to seeing my fair share of rarities and gems at the four L.A. shows coming up, so I was more than happy to have a greatest hits set this time around. You have to remember that at least 80% (and probably much more) of the crowd at any festival show is going to be made up of casual, novice, or even non-fans; as such, you have to cater to them if you don't want 80+% of the crowd to be stale or listless.

That being said, I was thrilled to get In My Tree and Down...true PJ classics that I had never had the privilege of hearing live before.

As for those talking shit about the crowd, I honestly don't know what you were listening to. From where I was at (about 25 yards back, on the left hand side of the top of the t-shaped barricade, near the soundboard) the crowd was really into it. Lots of singing along and audience participation. Perhaps it didn't sound as loud as other shows simply because this was outdoors -- for obvious reasons, a crowd will always sound much louder at an indoor than an outdoor show, even on boots. In any case, I loved being in the middle of a loud, enthusiastic crowd that was really into the show. And I loved hearing from a number of casual fans how impressed they were with our band.

The only negative part of the night was when a group of big, ugly drunk dudes made their way to where we were standing near the end of the main set and proceeded to start singing along as loudly as they could to the hits. Normally not a big problem, except they hardly knew any of the words and were acting like total assholes. The first guy who came along actually shoved a couple people aside (including at least one female) and roared "This is my space!". The only thing worse was when his buddy -- an incredibly dirty dude who smelled like rancid sweat -- grabbed his long ass dreadlocks and started swinging them around, hitting everybody within a five-foot radius in the process. I was pissed, but when they started trying to "mosh" I threw a few elbows into the first guy and the dreadlock guy and it made me feel a lot better. :D

Overall, this was probably my third or fourth favorite PJ performance of all time and I had a fucking blast. The weather was perfect, the crowd was huge, the band was on...I really couldn't ask for more.
    Everything has chains...Absolutely nothing's changed. - PJ

“The only way to deal with an unfree world is to become so absolutely free that your very existence is an act of rebellion.” - Albert Camus
  • Options
    walkunafraidwalkunafraid Posts: 2,557
    By the way, here's "Black" from Friday night (not my video, just found it on youtube): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V3r3lldeQco
    Everything has chains...Absolutely nothing's changed. - PJ

“The only way to deal with an unfree world is to become so absolutely free that your very existence is an act of rebellion.” - Albert Camus
  • Options
    jimed14jimed14 Posts: 9,488
    DD10798 wrote:
    The National:. Been listening to them for a few years, first time seeing them. Totally awesome, I don't know why these guys are not HUGE. Great to see them on one of the small stages, I was 15 ft from the stage. I've heard mixed reviews of their live shows, but they were great. Check them out!!

I posted a few pics here (should get some more up), they were fantastic!

viewtopic.php?f=9&t=108687&start=15
    "You're one of the few Red Sox fans I don't mind." - Newch91

"I don't believe in damn curses. Wake up the damn Bambino and have me face him. Maybe I'll drill him in the ass." --- Pedro Martinez
  • Options
    This was my girlfriend's first Pearl Jam show and she left very impressed. I was a good ways back in the crowd (near the VIP pit in the middle), but I was overall fairly happy with the crowd. I didn't see any moshing nor was I really squished, and most people were singing along for a good portion of the set. I thought the band did a much better job of picking a setlist for a crowd of mostly casual fans than Dave Matthews did the following night. Overall a very fun show, and a good festival as a whole.
  • Options
    cgroxcgrox Posts: 58
    What can you say? Holy shit!!! Fucking amazing... This marks my 20th show and pj never ceases to amaze me... what a great setlist. perfectly played out... Eddie comes out looking like a train wreck (i was up front)and says "lets get it on"!!!

opened with WHY GO-ANIMAL-SEVERED HAND... pj is showing festival attendees who is the headliner here... then some time to gather your composure as they went through the set until they destroyed us again with SAVE YOU-DTE-GO... Oh my goodness.

personal hilite for me was THE REAL ME. this song was flawless and intense. never ever heard it played this well before. kudos to eddie for giving 120,000% even though he knew he his voice box was giving him shit. i lost my voice after DTE (of course)... this is why we love ed... always on 10.

eddie come down to the front and he was like this fucking super mega black hole sucking in the audience towards him... then he looked back at security and got the "ok" to go towards the sound board... crowd went nuts and tore some of his shirt i believe. again, everything/everyone shifted like the earth came off its axis.

IN MY TREE was excellent without boom's addition on keys... much better just raw.

I was in a scramble for a drum stick at the end, but when i felt that it wasnt even chipped from playing, i realized that it was just a prop stick and not one that matt used... i let it go. it was cool to see the guys throw alot of picks, sticks and tamborines this time... more than usual.

ed needed a break and went to meet the lucky folks stage right, in the meantime mike and boom had a battle off... jesus christ mike can wail!!!

overall the crowd was much younger than i had anticipated but i was happy to see most of them actually into pearl jam (the next generation of our jamily)

no complaints here... i got what i needed and some.
    Member # 173***

21 Shows and counting... Finally met Ed @ Zellerbach night 1!!!

• Options
    Here's an article on the show from Rolling Stone :

http://www.rollingstone.com/rockdaily/i ... kicks-off/
  • Options
    By the way, here's "Black" from Friday night (not my video, just found it on youtube): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V3r3lldeQco

Here's In My Tree - if you can tolerate the shaky and out of focus video, the sounds pretty good.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CB7fmJ3V_Io&NR=1
  • Options
    rriversrrivers Posts: 3,687

Yeah I'm surprised they didn't play that.
    "We're fixed good, lamp-wise."
  • Options
    rriversrrivers Posts: 3,687
    DD10798 wrote:
    I just hope they come back to SF soon so us 10clubbers can secure some good seats for a regular PJ show.

Amen, brother.
    "We're fixed good, lamp-wise."
  • Options
    btw, I took this shot before Built To Spill ... not sure if any of you rail surfers are in here ... good on you if you were! It's from Mike's side.

BTS-4.jpg

"I don't believe in damn curses. Wake up the damn Bambino and have me face him. Maybe I'll drill him in the ass." --- Pedro Martinez
  • Options
    jimed14 wrote:
    btw, I took this shot before Built To Spill ... not sure if any of you rail surfers are in here ... good on you if you were! It's from Mike's side.

BTS-4.jpg

Yep, that's me. Second from the left sitting down and all you can see is my forhead.
    "Underneath this smile lies everything - all my hopes, anger, pride and shame."
  • Options
    I was to the left of mookie. However, I have been told that I was on the YouTube webcast during Silversun Pickups :)

#standingman #duranadam
  • Options
    Damn, I'm right behind the guy in the red, talking to the security guy.....Any other pics?
  • Options
    snowrider_04snowrider_04 Berkeley, CA Posts: 90
    FUN, FUN, FUN!

Was so happy to get a PJ performance before the end of the year in SF. Didn't bother me it was a festival appearance, was just glad that they came to town.

My friends and I were about 20 rows back in front of Jeff and Mike, great location, sound was killer and no hooligans. The crowd around us wasn't to energized or just weren't the biggest of PJ fans but that didn't bother me too much since it made for a pretty comfortable experience up front, no ill moshers and idiots.

Highlights for me were Low Light, In My Tree and The Real Me (was really impressed by this cover and performance). Loved seeing The Fixer and Got Some live, good to see these in the mix now. And Mike's Even Flow solo behind the head will be a memory I have from this show for a long time.

On another note, I liked the poster, actually thought it was one of the best Ames to come out in recent time.
    Live & Loud: A list of every concert I've been to.
    Vintage Four Wheels: If you like vintage cars.

2022: Oakland 1, Oakland 2 • 2018: Seattle 1 • 2014: Mountain View (BSB) • 2013: Philadelphia 1, Philadelphia 2, Oakland • 2011: Oakland 1 (EV), Oakland 2 (EV) • 2009: San Francisco (Outside Lands) • 2008: Berkeley (EV) • 2006: San Francisco 1, San Francisco 2 Mountain View (BSB) •  2000: Mountain View • 1999: Mountain View (BSB) • 1992: Stanhope (Lollapalooza)
  • Options
    Damn, I'm right behind the guy in the red, talking to the security guy.....Any other pics?

not really.

I have another that is just the back of your head, assume you're the guy with the hat on with sunglasses on the hat?

But again, it's just the top of the back of your head, I zoomed in for the rest of the BTS pics.

• Options
    snowrider_04snowrider_04 Berkeley, CA Posts: 90
    edited September 2009
    Here are some shots I took before my battery cashed out...enjoy.

pj_park01.jpg
    pj_park02.jpg
    pj_park03.jpg
    pj_park04.jpg
    pj_park05.jpg
    pj_park06.jpg
    pj_park07.jpg
    pj_park08.jpg
    pj_park09.jpg
    Post edited by snowrider_04 on
    Live & Loud: A list of every concert I've been to.
    Vintage Four Wheels: If you like vintage cars.

2022: Oakland 1, Oakland 2 • 2018: Seattle 1 • 2014: Mountain View (BSB) • 2013: Philadelphia 1, Philadelphia 2, Oakland • 2011: Oakland 1 (EV), Oakland 2 (EV) • 2009: San Francisco (Outside Lands) • 2008: Berkeley (EV) • 2006: San Francisco 1, San Francisco 2 Mountain View (BSB) •  2000: Mountain View • 1999: Mountain View (BSB) • 1992: Stanhope (Lollapalooza)
  • Options
    jimed14 wrote:

not really.

I have another that is just the back of your head, assume you're the guy with the hat on with sunglasses on the hat?

But again, it's just the top of the back of your head, I zoomed in for the rest of the BTS pics.

thanks anyway man, nice of you to share what you had, appreciate it.
  • Options
    This is where I managed to get back to for PJ ... I took a few pics but they didn't come out to great ... but I took this one before the show.

I'm posting this as I have a question .... can any of you up front tell me what the significance of the Swedish Chef on a stick was? You can see him on top of the waves on the left of the pic.

PJ-1.jpg