Options

Everybody is so excited about Backspacer

Backspacer_BackerBackspacer_Backer Posts: 1,023
edited August 2009 in The Porch
(including me)

but there are lots of posts proclaiming this song or that "instant classics" and the like. i hope you're all right. i LOVE most of the clips/songs I've heard.

but why do I feel I'm being inflated now for something of a letdown later? it seems when anything gets hyped this much it always turns into a disappointment.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    GmoneyGmoney Posts: 1,618
    ie: self titled...

something feels different about this album.
    Further back and forth a wave will break on me, today...
  • Options
    ComeToTXComeToTX Austin Posts: 7,571
    i like self-titled but i have a feeling this one will blow it out of the water. hope i'm right.
    This show, another show, a show here and a show there.
  • Options
    MinouMinou Posts: 99
    Does anyone know why Pearl Jam decided to add a piano?
    There has probably been a thread about this already, so I'm sorry.
    What do people think about the piano/keyboard in there? :?
  • Options
    The RockThe Rock Posts: 1,388
    Minou wrote:

I thought it was cool when they used piano/organ back in the 90s, and I think it's lovely now.
    2006: London Astoria, Lisbon I & II, Paris, Verona, Milano
    2007: Wembley, Dusseldorf, Copenhagen, Nijmegen
    2009: Manchester
    2010: Belfast, Berlin
    2012: Manchester I & II
    2014: Leeds, Milton Keynes
    2018: Amsterdam I, Prague, Krakow, Berlin, Barcelona, London
    2022: Berlin, Budapest, Krakow, Amsterdam II
  • Options
    LikeAnOceanLikeAnOcean Posts: 7,718
    Minou wrote:
    What did people think about Ten? Didn't they have a piano on Ten? No Code?.. I don't think its new..
  • Options
    Minou wrote:
    What did people think about Ten? Didn't they have a piano on Ten? No Code?.. I don't think its new..

Yeah, except on The Fixer, the piano makes it sound like pop music just before the bridge. That's the absolute first time Pearl Jam has sounded that poppy to me.
  • Options
    facepollutionfacepollution Posts: 6,834
    Minou wrote:
    Yeah, except on The Fixer, the piano makes it sound like pop music just before the bridge. That's the absolute first time Pearl Jam has sounded that poppy to me.

That's guitar, not piano.
  • Options
    Minou wrote:

Are you sure about that? It sounds an awful lot like piano to me. Either way, it's very....no, I won't say it.
    The Fixer is a great song.
  • Options
    There will always be the same predictions and statements from fans regarding every new album. Everything that's being said about Backspacer was said about S/T, Riot Act, etc.

It's inevitable and in our nature, and in most cases it ends up being much ado about nothing.

Keep in mind I'm not talking about the quality of the album itself, I'm only referring to meeting the bold expectations from everyone.
  • Options
    evanserevanser Posts: 152
    there is piano in there...it was said b o b sat in on the track/album
  • Options
    Minou wrote:
    Minou wrote:

Are you sure about that? It sounds an awful lot like piano to me. Either way, it's very....no, I won't say it.

Yeah, I noticed it when they played it live at the O2, you can see it in this video at the 2:06 mark: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=67qFTp7tOOM

It's definitely Mike playing it cause Stone is sans guitar at that point!

Anyway, I like that part! It's different for sure, but I love upbeat optimistic Pearl Jam - it's what made me fall in love with Yield! :mrgreen:
  • Options
    evanser wrote:

I'm sure there is, but I don't know why Mike would play that part live when they have Boom there at their disposal?!
  • Options
    csickels wrote:
    (including me)

but there are lots of posts proclaiming this song or that "instant classics" and the like. i hope you're all right. i LOVE most of the clips/songs I've heard.

but why do I feel I'm being inflated now for something of a letdown later? it seems when anything gets hyped this much it always turns into a disappointment.
    happens everytime. the songs do sounds easier to like this time around.
  • Options
    MrMerkinballMrMerkinball Posts: 1,978
    I was excited for S/T too, and when it came out I was all over it.

I am really excited about Backspacer because:

* I Love the clips I have heard
    * Brendan O produced it
    * The Band seems excited about and
    * The Fixer and Got Some where great live songs
  • Options
    LauriLauri Posts: 748
    evanser wrote:

Yeah that was in one of the radio interviews with either stone or mike...i think stone.

The poppy thing is really current though, as much as some fans may object. It's something Pearl Jam always seems to do- stay current but still seem like themselves.
  • Options
    I was trying to stay tempered in my judgements as songs began to trickle out. Unthought Known and The End from ed's solo shows raised it a level. My enjoyment of Got Some and the Fixer brought it even higher. SoS demo, another great tune.

Then the amazon 30 second clip leak, and being able (albeit a very limited view) to sort of picture how this album would flow, not to mention the quality of the songs. Johnny Guitar, GSMF, ATW, Force of Nature all sound like top notch Rock n Roll. The over-wrought, pretense filled songs of the last couple albums don't seem to be there. This is the album I have been waiting for since Yield.

Am I setting myself up for disappointment? Possibly, but I feel pretty comfortable with my expectations based on everything I've heard. Not to mention the packinging looks phenomenal. I need this album!
  • Options
    I was trying to stay tempered in my judgements as songs began to trickle out. Unthought Known and The End from ed's solo shows raised it a level. My enjoyment of Got Some and the Fixer brought it even higher. SoS demo, another great tune.

Then the amazon 30 second clip leak, and being able (albeit a very limited view) to sort of picture how this album would flow, not to mention the quality of the songs. Johnny Guitar, GSMF, ATW, Force of Nature all sound like top notch Rock n Roll. The over-wrought, pretense filled songs of the last couple albums don't seem to be there. This is the album I have been waiting for since Yield.

Am I setting myself up for disappointment? Possibly, but I feel pretty comfortable with my expectations based on everything I've heard. Not to mention the packinging looks phenomenal. I need this album!

You pretty much took my words there. Even from just hearing the amazon clips, it's quite clear to me that this is their most optimistic album since Yield - and it was that aspect of Yield that drew me in. It's that kind of feeling of the sun breaking through the clouds. I have no issues with the past albums, because I think they needed to go through those to get to the present. But the future does look bright at last!
  • Options

You pretty much took my words there. Even from just hearing the amazon clips, it's quite clear to me that this is their most optimistic album since Yield - and it was that aspect of Yield that drew me in. It's that kind of feeling of the sun breaking through the clouds. I have no issues with the past albums, because I think they needed to go through those to get to the present. But the future does look bright at last!

No doubt, there are some great moments on Binaural - ST, but a whole album hasn't worked for me since Yield. I like your perspective on Yield, there is just something about that album that works in every way for me.
  • Options
    LikeAnOceanLikeAnOcean Posts: 7,718
    Minou wrote:
    Minou wrote:

Sounds like The Cure to me.. I like it!
  • Options
    No doubt, there are some great moments on Binaural - ST, but a whole album hasn't worked for me since Yield. I like your perspective on Yield, there is just something about that album that works in every way for me.

Yeah I Can't say I dislike any of their albums. Riot Act is still a challenge for me, but I do like a handfull of songs from it. I think the last one got a lot of press because the band opened up for the first time in a while, but nothing could disguise that it was, at times, lacking the hooks to make it a classic. Backspacer seems to be their most direct album, dare I say it, since Vs. Whilst I think it sounds more reminiscent of Yield and No Code, it has a similar focus to Vs, just wall-to-wall solid tunes.
  • Options
    LauriLauri Posts: 748
    Riot Act is still a challenge for me, but I do like a handfull of songs from it.

Riot Act is a challenge- that is a good way to put it. It took me a while to get it, but once I did, it is truly one of my favorite PJ albums. I thought of Riot Act when I listened to the interview with Eddie where he said that they wanted to make an album that wasn't hard work to get into or something. I haven't heard much of the album other then fixer and got some (saving it for the big reveal!) but if they can pull off both an album like Riot Act where the concept is deep under the surface AND an album that's easily accessible...well, I'm all for diversity.
  • Options
    UpSideDownUpSideDown Posts: 1,966
    Minou wrote:

In Yield(another BoB produced album) there are quite a lot of polished details like this one...........
  • Options
    slightofjeffslightofjeff Posts: 7,757
    Minou wrote:

There is a piano on Black.
    everybody wants the most they can possibly get
    for the least they could possibly do
  • Options
    UpSideDownUpSideDown Posts: 1,966
    Back to the original topic..............

I have only heard the fixer and got some so far................but honestly I think thi album is going to be fun and energetic all around.

Just listen to the production on the fixer........its so damn clean.....so much better than anything Avocado.
  • Options
    decides2dreamdecides2dream Posts: 14,976
    i've heard nothing from the album outside of got some when they were on conan, and the speed of sound demo that was offered for the backspacer cover puzzle game. i am excited to wait it out and hear it ALL, start to finish. 8-)
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

I am myself like you somehow

• Options
    South of SeattleSouth of Seattle West Seattle Posts: 10,708
    Minou wrote:

Yeah, I noticed it when they played it live at the O2, you can see it in this video at the 2:06 mark: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=67qFTp7tOOM

It's definitely Mike playing it cause Stone is sans guitar at that point!

Anyway, I like that part! It's different for sure, but I love upbeat optimistic Pearl Jam - it's what made me fall in love with Yield! :mrgreen:

It's a backing track of the piano. Kinda like what Ed did for Hard Sun at the solo shows.
    NERDS!
  • Options
    It's a backing track of the piano. Kinda like what Ed did for Hard Sun at the solo shows.

I think if that was the case it would be clearer.....
  • Options
    the fixer kicks ass so one more great pj song