Options

To Everyone who thinks...

RL200920RL200920 Posts: 67
edited August 2009 in The Porch
Pearl Jam should retire Even Flow and Alive from the setlists.......

You're crazy.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    pineapplesandwaves.pineapplesandwaves. GTA Posts: 1,808
    Hear, hear!
  • Options
    irish1313irish1313 Michigan Posts: 118
    +1
    Nashville / Detroit 2000
    Grand Rapids 2003
    Grand Rapids 2004
    Grand Rapids / Detroit 2006, Chicago 2009, PJ 20 both days, Wrigley 2013
  • Options
    why does anyone want ANY songs to be retired? are they not the same songs that got you to like pj? i dont understand why i keep reading all these posts about songs that should be "retired" i think if these people didnt go to 10 shows per tour they would think differently. i would love to go to that many shows per tour but i still wouldnt mind hearing anything pj plays.
    a wise man investigates what a fool passes by

4/26/03 - pittsburgh
    4/28/03 - philly
    7/05/03 - camden
    7/12/03 - hershey
    5/28/06 - camden
    5/20/10 - msg
    5/21/10 - msg
    6/25/11 - upper darby - EV
  • Options
    why does anyone want ANY songs to be retired? are they not the same songs that got you to like pj? i dont understand why i keep reading all these posts about songs that should be "retired" i think if these people didnt go to 10 shows per tour they would think differently. i would love to go to that many shows per tour but i still wouldnt mind hearing anything pj plays.

you my friend....just read my mind.
  • Options
    drsluggodrsluggo Posts: 4,742
    Maybe not retire, but maybe play them as often as everything else on other albums.. like even flow once a city and not every show. Same with Alive and Better Man... some of those songs you just know you're going to hear.

They have so many 'greatest hits' these days they can split them up a whole lot better and still please everyone.
  • Options
    restlesssoulrestlesssoul Posts: 6,939
    drsluggo wrote:
    like even flow once a city and not every show. Same with Alive and Better Man..
    They have so many 'greatest hits' these days they can split them up a whole lot better and still please everyone.

i would go for that.
    Van '98, Sea I+II '00, Sea '01, Sea II '02, Van '03, Gorge, Van, Cal, Edm '05, Bos I+II, Phi I+II, DC, SF II+III, Port, Gorge I+II '06, DC, NY I+II '08, Sea I+II, Van, Ridge , LA III+IV' 09, Indy '10, Cal, Van '11, Lond, Van, Sea '13, Memphis '14, RRHOF '17, Sea I+II '18
  • Options
    pineapplesandwaves.pineapplesandwaves. GTA Posts: 1,808

That's exactly how I feel. People turn their noses up at the songs that got them into Pearl Jam in the first place.

There are certain songs that Pearl Jam clearly love to play, so why deny the guys that?
  • Options
    drsluggo wrote:
    Maybe not retire, but maybe play them as often as everything else on other albums.. like even flow once a city and not every show. Same with Alive and Better Man... some of those songs you just know you're going to hear.

dont forget, they play the so called "greatest hits" so they can get fans in the doors. alive is a crowd pleaser, betterman is the "sing along" if they palyed all the b-sides everynight all you would hear is "why dont they play the greatest hits more often" its a lose lose with some of you. check out aerosmiths sets. ive seen them 7 times and they play the same set everynight on every tour give or take maybe one or 2 songs. but im a fan and will continue to go see them. pj gives us a different set EVERYNIGHT never repeated.
    a wise man investigates what a fool passes by

4/26/03 - pittsburgh
    4/28/03 - philly
    7/05/03 - camden
    7/12/03 - hershey
    5/28/06 - camden
    5/20/10 - msg
    5/21/10 - msg
    6/25/11 - upper darby - EV
  • Options
    drsluggo wrote:

I see where you're coming from. I just hear so many people on this board saying drop even flow, drop alive...it drive me bonkers...cause to this day, I still get chills up my spine when they play the opening riff to Alive...granted, i've only been to a handfull of shows, but i've been a fan since I was 14 and own a shitload of bootlegs...I just think they are staples that belong in the setlist.

Once, Even Flow, Alive on cassette tape...the first 3 real songs of my life...
  • Options
    AtlantaJammerAtlantaJammer Posts: 2,611
    drsluggo wrote:

dont forget, they play the so called "greatest hits" so they can get fans in the doors. alive is a crowd pleaser, betterman is the "sing along" if they palyed all the b-sides everynight all you would hear is "why dont they play the greatest hits more often" its a lose lose with some of you. check out aerosmiths sets. ive seen them 7 times and they play the same set everynight on every tour give or take maybe one or 2 songs. but im a fan and will continue to go see them. pj gives us a different set EVERYNIGHT never repeated.

You are absolutely right! No question. I love anything live by PJ! When it comes to boots on the other hand, I skip a few... I cant remember tha last time I let Betterman/Daughter/Small Town/Daughter/Even Flow etc. play through on a boot. Honest, yeaaaaaars.... But, I cant bring myslef to turn the radio station once I hear them...
  • Options
    drsluggo wrote:

rush is the same way...i saw them twice in one tour...my friend who is OBSESSED with rush...made a playlist on his ipod of the setlist...the second show we went to we were able to name every song coming (except they changed one song just so that it's not so menotenous to them.) but their show is more scripted they have videos introdicing each (or most) of the songs and Geddy came out with his own video camera to "show the canadain fans how awesome american crowds are" and he did that at the same time each show (introducing natural science). so yeah those are more "shows" than concerts...if that last statement made any sense lol...

and my view is yeah maybe they could be a little more rare...but they are staples of the show...people are season ticket holders to venues, they have to play their hits for them at the very least
  • Options
    WildsWilds Posts: 4,329
    My opinion on this would be simply to limit the number of times they play the same song/songs back to back at the same venue.

I LOVE Alive and Even Flow, and would NEVER want them retired.

How many 'hits/sing alongs' do they have?

Alive
    Even Flow
    Jeremey
    Black
    Daughter
    Elderly Woman
    Corduroy
    Betterman
    Wishlist
    Do The Evolution
    Last Kiss
    Animal
    Why Go
    Immortality

They don't play these songs everynight, so during a two night stand, instead of playing many of these twice and skipping others, they could play them all over the two nights.

If the first show had:

Alive
    Black
    Daughter
    Betterman
    Do the Evolution
    Given To Fly
    Why Go
    and Immortality

That IS a show with tons of greatest hits. The other songs I listed could be played the next night and no one, even the most casual fan would be upset.

Now with all that said, I don't actually care if they do this, cause I love every song and every show. But if I had my druthers this would be awesome for me.

AND, I didn't even mention other hits....

WWS
    Life Wasted
    Save You
    Nothingman
    Once
    Porch
    RVM
    Brain of J
    SOLAT
    Yellow Ledbetter
    I got shit

If every back to back show had 7 mega hits, 5 minor hits, 3 or so covers, and 10 or 15 mixed from ALL their other albums. WOW! (you would really cut down on complaints from people who are 'tired' of Even Flow every night.)

I'm not asking for this, just letting you know it would be ideal for me.

They have so many Hits and sing-a-longs, they could always mix them up and no fan would go 'hungry'.
  • Options
    you know an interesting though i posted a thread yesterday wondering if PJ will play 4 nights at philly without repeating one song...they did it before (i forget where) and they played 4 nights in one city without repeating a song
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    you know an interesting though i posted a thread yesterday wondering if PJ will play 4 nights at philly without repeating one song...they did it before (i forget where) and they played 4 nights in one city without repeating a song

Mansfield 03 they did it over the course of three shows.

How awesome would it be if they had very few back to back repeats for LA 1-4 and Philly 1-4.

I'm going to all 4 LA shows and that would kick ass. :mrgreen:
    Post edited by Wilds on
  • Options
    MrMerkinballMrMerkinball Posts: 1,978
    They're not that exciting when you read a set list, or listen to a boot.......

but when you are there - they are always great
  • Options

Good point.

Betterman for example is so much fucking fun.

It really is only by looking at a set list, listening to a boot, or counting up that you have seen Betterman at 14 of the 16 shows you've attended that it can seem even partially annoying.
  • Options
    This is true, but you don't have to play them EVERY show. I mean... if you take the songs the people who don't realize PJ has released an album since Vitalogy, you have these which i would consider 'greatest hits'

Alive
    Even Flow
    Why Go
    Jeremy
    Black
    Porch
    Go
    Animal
    Daughter
    RVM
    Better Man
    Corduroy
    Spin the Black Circle
    Yellow Ledbetter

So if you play maybe 5-6 of those at a show I don't think anyone is going to leave upset. I'm not asking for a set of all obscure songs (although I'd personally love it), but I am among those who are not terribly thrilled with the sets that are very heavy on the songs that are played at almost all shows.

And if I had a pick between having them every night or retiring them, I'd pick retiring them. But obviously I tihnk the best solution is to play them in the same way they play everything else - vary it up so you actually go "Nice - Even Flow" as opposed to "OK.. here's the Even Flow part of the show"
  • Options
    Wilds wrote:

Good point.

It really is only by looking at a set list, listening to a boot, or counting up that you have seen Betterman at 14 of the 16 shows you've attended that it can seem even partially annoying.

i have yet to hear betterman...granted i've only been to 2 shows thus far...but if betterman is as "overplayed" as some say, i mustn't be going to the good shows lol
  • Options
    I don't think evenflow should be retired, just not played every night. give us a chance to miss it! Jeremy isn't played as much as it used to be, and now I don't mind hearing it. I'll never get sick of alive.
  • Options
    Wilds wrote:

Good point.

i have yet to hear betterman...granted i've only been to 2 shows thus far...but if betterman is as "overplayed" as some say, i mustn't be going to the good shows lol

I've been to 13 full Pearl Jam shows and seen Betterman 13 times.

I've been to an additional 3 short shows/appearances, and 4 EV solo or Benefit shows.

I think I've seen Betterman at only 12 of the full shows I've been to and at 1 Bridge School Benefit.

Love it every time, but that is a very high %. :)
  • Options

I NEVER liked Even Flow. Any other song, I don't have that feeling for, for some reason. I have seen Pearl Jam less than ten times, and I could do without it. Check this out:
    http://pearljam.com/music/songs?sort=as ... mes+Played

Even Flow has been played 78 times more than even "Alive"!

Of course, I bet some people think Porch is played out, and at one point I remember thinking, Oh, I bet they never play that. But then I consulted the above list, and they play it more than Rear View Mirror, which I feel like I've seen at every show?!

Well, what's important is, I am sure the band gets a kick out of playing "Even Flow," and to a point, the show might seem naked without it, so I wouldn't say.. per se.. that it needs to be retired. Just that I could live without it. :)
    Chicago '98 * East Lansing '98 * Indianapolis '00 * Detroit '00 * Cleveland '03 * Detroit (1st) '03 * Grand Rapids '04 * London (ON) '05 * Grand Rapids '06 * Chicago '09 * Chicago '13 * Chicago '16
  • Options
    starmap3333starmap3333 Posts: 3,908
    this is a developmentally disabled opinion. shame on you.
    Ithaca, NY-11/6/91 SPAC, NY-8/4/92 Rochester, NY-4/7/94 Toronto-9/21/96 Buffalo, NY-10/1/96 Barrie, ONT-8/20/98 Pittsburgh, PA- 8/25/98 Jones Beach, NY-8/23/00 Jones Beach, NY-8/24/00 Jones Beach, NY-8/25/00 SPAC, NY-8/27/00 Buffalo, NY-5/2/03 MSG-7/8/03 MSG -7/9/03 Hamilton, ONT-9/13/05 Albany, NY-5/12/06 Cleveland, OH-5/20/06 Camden, NJ-5/27/06 East Ruth, NJ-6/3/06 Chicago, IL-8/5/07 Bonnaroo-6/14/08 MSG-6/24/08 MSG-7/25/08 Mansfield, MA-7/30/08 Chicago, IL-8/23/09 Philly, PA-10/30/09 Philly, PA-10/31/09 Buffalo, NY 5/10/10 MSG 1&2 5/20-21/10
  • Options
    this is a developmentally disabled opinion. shame on you.

Really?
  • Options

I NEVER liked Even Flow. Any other song, I don't have that feeling for, for some reason. I have seen Pearl Jam less than ten times, and I could do without it. Check this out:
    http://pearljam.com/music/songs?sort=as ... mes+Played

Even Flow has been played 78 times more than even "Alive"!

Of course, I bet some people think Porch is played out, and at one point I remember thinking, Oh, I bet they never play that. But then I consulted the above list, and they play it more than Rear View Mirror, which I feel like I've seen at every show?!

Well, what's important is, I am sure the band gets a kick out of playing "Even Flow," and to a point, the show might seem naked without it, so I wouldn't say.. per se.. that it needs to be retired. Just that I could live without it. :)

so the entire band should do it just because you feel yo could live without it?...the thing is, it is a staple...a song that as you said early in your post that a show would feel naked...yes i understand that maybe it's played a little too much, but i don't feel it's an annoyance...a lot of people use it as their piss break...if even flow was going to be retired...when would people go pee?
  • Options
    so the entire band should do it just because you feel yo could live without it?...the thing is, it is a staple...a song that as you said early in your post that a show would feel naked...yes i understand that maybe it's played a little too much, but i don't feel it's an annoyance...a lot of people use it as their piss break...if even flow was going to be retired...when would people go pee?
    They'd probably use Better Man, Daughter, Alive, or any other song that is played a lot to go. I mean if you're OK leaving for a song to go... might as well go during a longer song that is played a lot! :)

And again - this boils down to personal preference with regards to these songs. I guess my point is that there's no reason they have to play these songs every night... a show without Even Flow feels special because its without Even Flow. And you know they see everyone flooding out during it, which makes me wonder why they continue to play it every night. At MSG last year I was up high and it was amazing watching the flood of fans leave as soon as it started.
  • Options
    (even Flow) is not for u
    never was for u
    fuck you, (even flow) is not for you!
  • Options
    MrSmith wrote:
    (even Flow) is not for u
    never was for u

i can't tell...is that pro-retirement? or anti-retirement?
  • Options
    MrSmith wrote:
    (even Flow) is not for u
    never was for u

i can't tell...is that pro-retirement? or anti-retirement?
    heh i just think they aren't for the multi-show seeing hardcores. not everyone goes to a show hoping for rarities.

Plus, i think Mike just loves Even Flow. its his.
  • Options
    thank heavens for that i was scared till i scrolled down
    Christchurch, New Zealand 2009

• Options
    youngsteryoungster Boston Posts: 6,574
    Remember in 2000 after Roskilde, they dropped Alive for the entire 2 US legs. They played it on the last show in Seattle. Honestly, listening to the boots, it seemed like something was missing. They don't have to play them every night, but keep them in regular rotation for sure.
    He who forgets will be destined to remember.

9/29/04 Boston, 6/28/08 Mansfield, 8/23/09 Chicago, 5/15/10 Hartford
    5/17/10 Boston, 10/15/13 Worcester, 10/16/13 Worcester, 10/25/13 Hartford
    8/5/16 Fenway, 8/7/16 Fenway
    EV Solo: 6/16/11 Boston, 6/18/11 Hartford,