Options

have pearl jam done a bad album?

2»

Comments

• Options
    the band almost to a man admits that (riot act) is their best/most personal work

sure go ahead and dig on pearl jam / ten and that second one...
    those are the american idols and the jerry springer shows of the pearl jam catalogue

riot act is like pbs .... only smart people get it... and are in to it

but i don't want to argue because i'm right

I wouldn't say "only smart people get it", but yes, it is an acquired taste. It's a lot more difficult to get into than any of their other records, as the songs have a lot more depth.

I personally love Riot Act and prefer it over Ten or Avocado, but I can see how some people-- mostly those who prefer the "arena rock" side of Pearl Jam-- could be put off by it.
  • Options
    Consider me a RA supporter as well. It took a while to warm up to it but now I find myself grabbing that one before Binaural or Avo. For the longest time, No Code was my least fave but even that has grown on me.
    I'm so dangerous I smoke dynamite.

• Options
    FitzFitz Posts: 169
    On the Riot Act debate, I think its awesome myself. Anyway since Vitalogy their albums have been very, very good and the only one's I listen to now. To me Ten and V's are shit because of this, the over production on Ten makes me cringe. I have given it so many chances recently but no more, I can take V's but only because of the odd songs on there.

At the end of the day its about personal opinions which is great, personally I hate calling any PJ album but there's no real harm done when you do.
    "First of all, there’s the palpable camaraderie and good feeling you get from the entire band as they smile and nod at each other, and huddle together in various formations throughout the show --- They look like they really like each other. They look stoked!"
  • Options
    PegasusPegasus Posts: 3,754
    the band almost to a man admits that (riot act) is their best/most personal work

those are the american idols and the jerry springer shows of the pearl jam catalogue

source?

yeah.. easy to be right when you just call people that don't agree stupid but don't give any arguments..:rolleyes:
  • Options
    I'm a bit surprised that so many people dislike 'Riot Act'. I guess not everyone will like everything but songs like 'Can't Keep' and 'Thumbing My Way' are brilliant, and 'Save You' is simply a ball tearer of a song.

'No Code' is probably my least favourite of all Pearl Jam's albums, but that's not to say I don't like it - I really love it, just not as much as the others.

The self-titled album is an absolute step in the right direction for Pearl Jam. I think it's their strongest release in years. I can't wait to see what they come out with next :D
  • Options
    pjten77pjten77 Posts: 225
    wow!!!!...can't believe there's so much dislike for Riot Act. I thought it was a very personal and reflective album. I hold it pretty high up there, more so than No Code, Binauraul or Yield.....but that's the great thing about PJ fans...it doesn't really matter what we individually think about the records....we all love the band......peace, love and PJ!!!!
    Toronto-96/Barrie-98/Pittsburgh-00/Toronto-00/Buffalo-03/Toronto-03/Kitchener-05/Toronto-05/Hamilton-05/Toronto I-06/Toronto 2-06/E.V. Toronto- 08/ Toronto- 09/Buffalo-10/Hamilton- 11/ London- 13/ Buffalo- 13/Detroit- 14/Ottawa-16/Toronto II-16/Fenway I & II- 16
  • Options
    pjten77 wrote:
    wow!!!!...can't believe there's so much dislike for Riot Act. I thought it was a very personal and reflective album. I hold it pretty high up there, more so than No Code, Binauraul or Yield.....but that's the great thing about PJ fans...it doesn't really matter what we individually think about the records....we all love the band......peace, love and PJ!!!!
    as many pearl jam tastes as there are fans..for every song someone adores, someone will hate it, and vice-versa.. :D
  • Options
    it is a bad album. it's only got about 3 or 4 tracks worth hearing and even those are pretty average. on top of that is a ton of shitty filler.

You must be talking about Avocado.
  • Options
    itsevobabyitsevobaby Posts: 1,809

oh teach me wise sensei :rolleyes:
    Look Alive,
    See These Bones
  • Options
    look how many binaural songs were played during the ra tour
    look how many yield songs were played during the binaural tour
    'look how many no code songs were played during the yield tour

get the point, genius

riot act is like a high IQ... not everybody gets it

I agree here with you. I had no idea people would quote me so much. Its all a matter of opinion. I just believe the band reached its peak with Binaural and has stayed there. If people want to talk about how little Riot Act gets played. Look at how little play No Code gets. I dont need anyone to tell me that album sucks. Its impossible to say that No Code sucks. Sometimes I even think Riot Act is No Code 2. It seems a lot of people didnt want to accept No Code when it came out. I love all the albums. If it sounds like Im bashing Yield, Im really not. All their albums are fantastic. They are kinda hard to compare to one another because they are all different. We all have different tastes. Riot Act is very layered and complex. Some people dont like that. It often times surprises me how little love Avocado gets when its the closest album to Yield the band has done yet. I find that so awkward.

By the way when people talk about what the band thinks; they said that they felt Avocado was easily the best stuff they have recorded. At least Ed does. When has the band ever played one of their albums in order, completely, and perfectly like the boys did in Torino with Avocado?
    My first PJ show to witness was at Bonnaroo. How is that for lucky?
  • Options
    Those who said the band more than likely feel that that Riot Act is their worst record, go watch the video promo the band did for Riot Act. They all seem pretty passionate about it.
    My first PJ show to witness was at Bonnaroo. How is that for lucky?
  • Options
    Those who said the band more than likely feel that that Riot Act is their worst record, go watch the video promo the band did for Riot Act. They all seem pretty passionate about it.

word

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jJXarYJex-M

riot act is for smart people
    pearl jam, ten and that second one are not
  • Options
    Those who said the band more than likely feel that that Riot Act is their worst record, go watch the video [size=+2]promo[/size] the band did for Riot Act. They all seem pretty passionate about it.
    you just said it yourself.

and it was just after they done it, NO-ONE is going to say that the work they've just done is so-so! of course at the time they think it's the best.

go ask them now... (there's recent articles that quite clearly show they realise it wasn't their best moment, probably because of the general mood and their at the time)
  • Options
    Pegasus wrote:
    you just said it yourself.

and it was just after they done it, NONONE is going to say what the work they;ve just done is so-so! of course at the time they think it's the best.

go ask them now... (there's recent articles that quite clearly show they realise it wasn't their best moment, probably because of the general mood and their at the time)

not so much
  • Options
    NoonieNoonie Posts: 93
    Well it all depends really. I love Riot Act, but it does seem to be an acquired taste for many people, just like the band itself. With that in mind, I could never be subjective about their early work. Vs was my favorite album in the world when I was 14 years old, but would I have gotten nearly as into it had I heard it for the firs time now? I really can't say. It is a part of me now.
    So do they have a bad album? eh. Depends on who you're asking, and when.
    My rhymes and records they don't get played
    Because my records and rhymes they don't get made
    And if you rap like me you don't get paid
    And if you roll like me you don't get laid.
  • Options
    yes. riot act.

No Riot Act is a good album.
    +--+-Official Upcoming Australasian Tour:Member #9-+--+
  • Options
    No, Riot Act is kind of a snooze and it's full of filler.

On the other hand, Avocado was pretty good so I think the boys have a long time before they're all tired of making albums.
  • Options
    chikevinchikevin Posts: 421
    haven't gone thru the entire thread, but if i had to vote...i'd say their worst album is binaural. there's a few good songs on there that bring it up to average, but outside of that album...they've been solid to amazing. IMO.
  • Options
    I like all the albums, the only thing Pearl Jam put out that i really don't like is Sleight Of Hand, i fuckin hate that song

oh and please don't give me this Riot Act is for smart people bullshit, there is nothing to get about music, you either like or you don't, and some people don't like it, it's really that simple
    "If my thoughts, dreams, could be seen, they'd probably put my head, in a guillotine, but it's alright ma, it's life and life only."
  • Options
    soulsingingsoulsinging Posts: 13,208

ah, the pathetic posturing of indie snobs. i love you people that are too cool for school.

there is nothing less intelligent than your attempts at "proving" riot act's greatness.
  • Options
    ii44ii44 Posts: 430
    yes. riot act.

False.
  • Options
    i new this would turn into a riot act battle thread. i personally love it even thought not one of my fav albums. and no they have not released even close to a bad album.
    2006: Hartford
    2008: MSG 1, Hartford, Mansfield 2, Ed Solo NYC 1
    2009: London (O2), Philly 1, 2, 3, & 4
    2010: Hartford, Boston, MSG 1 & 2
    2011: Ed Solo Hartford
    2012: Philly (MIA Fest)
    2013: Worcester 2, Brooklyn 1 & 2, Hartford