Options

Them Crooked Vultures

mick21MCmick21MC Posts: 18
edited August 2009 in Other Music
For those who haven't heard...

THEM CROOKED VULTURES, the new supergroup consisting of FOO FIGHTERS frontman Dave Grohl, LED ZEPPELIN bassist John Paul Jones and QUEENS OF THE STONE AGE singer/guitarist Josh Homme, the CD — titled "Never Deserved The Future" — will be released on October 23 via Interscope.

THEM CROOKED VULTURES will reportedly make its live debut this Sunday (August 9) at the tiny Metro club in Chicago as part of a Lollapalooza afterparty. An image promoting the event has surfaced on the eTix.com web site, with the image featuring a symbol that corresponds to each man in the group.

Tickets went on sale this morning but are already sold out...

Anyone got extras??? I would LOVE to get some...
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    given2fly23given2fly23 Evanston, IL Posts: 5,881
    I must've misread. which member of Pearl Jam is involved in this?
    Found: Soundgarden Hyde Park DVD (Thank you for the gift!)
    Posters for Sale: http://community.pearljam.com/discussion/117469/posters-for-sale
    T-Shirts for Sale: http://community.pearljam.com/discussion/149289/pj-t-shirt-trade-or-sale
  • Options
    mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,385
    non-entity wrote:
    :D
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • Options
    non-entity wrote:

Pearl Jam is hands down my favorite but that doesn't mean they're the only great band out there...
  • Options
    evanserevanser Posts: 152
    non-entity wrote:

Dave Grohl wishes he was in Pearl Jam so....
  • Options
    mick21MC wrote:
    non-entity wrote:

Pearl Jam is hands down my favorite but that doesn't mean they're the only great band out there...

i think that he was trying to point out that this should go in the Other Music forum.
    here: http://forums.pearljam.com/viewforum.php?f=9

and to help you get started, here's a thread about the Crooked Vultures:
    http://forums.pearljam.com/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=105961
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • Options
    mfc2006 wrote:
    mick21MC wrote:
    non-entity wrote:

i think that he was trying to point out that this should go in the Other Music forum.
    here: viewforum.php?f=9

and to help you get started, here's a thread about the Crooked Vultures:
    viewtopic.php?f=9&t=105961

oh, my bad. sorry about that
  • Options
    SomethingCreativeSomethingCreative Kazoo, MI Posts: 3,347
    non-entity wrote:

:roll: big news in rock...does it really offend you that much?
    "Well, I think this band is incapable of sucking."
    -my dad after hearing Not for You for the first time on SNL .
  • Options
    SomethingCreativeSomethingCreative Kazoo, MI Posts: 3,347
    evanser wrote:
    non-entity wrote:

is that why he didn't join when he definitely had an opportunity?
    "Well, I think this band is incapable of sucking."
    -my dad after hearing Not for You for the first time on SNL .
  • Options
    given2fly23given2fly23 Evanston, IL Posts: 5,881
    non-entity wrote:

:roll: big news in rock...does it really offend you that much?

yes, it does, because its the 3rd time today that someone has started a thread about this band (which I'm very excited about) on the Porch. this isnt even one of those ambiguous topics...it could only go in one place...OTHER BANDS. doesnt seem that complicated to me, but maybe I'm wrong.
    Found: Soundgarden Hyde Park DVD (Thank you for the gift!)
    Posters for Sale: http://community.pearljam.com/discussion/117469/posters-for-sale
    T-Shirts for Sale: http://community.pearljam.com/discussion/149289/pj-t-shirt-trade-or-sale
  • Options
    Hawk123Hawk123 Posts: 2,002
  • Options
    Back_PedalBack_Pedal Posts: 1,171
    evanser wrote:
    non-entity wrote:

And I wish Dave Grohl was in Pearl Jam. His drumming on Songs for the Deaf is stunning.
    Thanks EPOTTSIII!
    "Vinyl or not, you will need to pay someone to take RA of your hands" - Smile05
    424, xxx
  • Options
    mick21MC wrote:
    the CD — titled "Never Deserved The Future" — will be released on October 23 via Interscope.

WRONG!
  • Options
    Stu42Stu42 Posts: 178
    yah turns out the promo vid and release date/name for new album were a hoax. supposedly out soon though
  • Options
    PJGARDENPJGARDEN Posts: 1,484
    Hawk123 wrote:

The most shocking part is that if I was in Chicago, I would have to seriously think about this......
  • Options
    vedder_soupvedder_soup Posts: 5,859
    they are on stage now :shock:

must hear these guys... not too long i guess till we get some vids
    2003 - Sydney x3,
    2006 - Reading Festival,
    2007 - Katowice, London, Nijmegen, Rock Werchter,
    2008 - MSG x2, Hartford, Mansfield x2, Beacon Theater,
    2009 - Melbourne, Sydney,
    2010 - I watched it go to fire!
    2011 - EV Brisbane x3, Newcastle, Sydney x3,
    2012 - Manchester x 2, Amsterdam x2, Prague, Berlin x2, Stockholm, Oslo, Copenhagen,
    2014 - Sydney, EV Sydney x3

I wave to all my Friends... Yeah!
  • Options
    drsluggodrsluggo Posts: 4,742
    Hey -

Just got back from the show. It was pretty solid - they were very tight for it being a first show.

Josh sings lead vocals and the whole band sounds VERY much like QOTSA and not really at all like Zepplin or Foo Fighters. It was VERY, VERY loud in there which made it hard to hear the different instruments and at time the vocals.

I'm curious to see what the album sounds like now - John Paul looked like he was really rockin out there which was good to see.

Good times- definitely felt nice to see the debut of the band. :)
  • Options
    vedder_soupvedder_soup Posts: 5,859
    bastard :lol:
    glad to hear you enjoyed it
    2003 - Sydney x3,
    2006 - Reading Festival,
    2007 - Katowice, London, Nijmegen, Rock Werchter,
    2008 - MSG x2, Hartford, Mansfield x2, Beacon Theater,
    2009 - Melbourne, Sydney,
    2010 - I watched it go to fire!
    2011 - EV Brisbane x3, Newcastle, Sydney x3,
    2012 - Manchester x 2, Amsterdam x2, Prague, Berlin x2, Stockholm, Oslo, Copenhagen,
    2014 - Sydney, EV Sydney x3

I wave to all my Friends... Yeah!
  • Options
    pjfan021pjfan021 Posts: 684
    AWESOME SHOW!!! These guys rocked the fuck out! They played for an hour twenty mins (which is pretty good for only one album worth of material). I grabbed the setlist after the show and i'll put it up later cause i left it at my buddies. Josh on guitar/vox, dave on drums, john on bass, and i'm not sure about the last member. The songs were very QOTSA sounding but they definitely had their own feel to them. ladies and gentlemen let me say one thing to sum up some of these awesome rock songs....looooooong jams with infectious beats and steady grooves and riffs. Dave was a monster behind the drums the whole night and JPJ was more than holding his own. Was expecting great things but this blew my expectations away and the band was reeeeally having a good time up there too so i can't wait to see how long they do this for.
  • Options
    cool article/review of the show here:

http://www.rollingstone.com/blogs/smoki ... e-born.php
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • Options
    CosmoCosmo Posts: 12,219
    The other guitarist is Alain Johannes (formerly 'Eleven' and 'Queens Of The Stone Age', currently studio 'Spinnerette').
    Personally... this is more exciting news to me than the Pearl Jam tour. I'm hoping that the Vultures don't play Los Angeles on the current Pearl Jam dates... I'd hate to skip out on Pearl Jam.. and this the the one of the only things that would cause me to do that. The only other would be a Pink Floyd (semi-) Re-Union.
    Allen Fieldhouse, home of the 2008 NCAA men's Basketball Champions! Go Jayhawks!
    Hail, Hail!!!
  • Options
    PJGARDENPJGARDEN Posts: 1,484
    Cosmo wrote:
    The other guitarist is Alain Johannes (formerly 'Eleven' and 'Queens Of The Stone Age', currently studio 'Spinnerette').
    Personally... this is more exciting news to me than the Pearl Jam tour. I'm hoping that the Vultures don't play Los Angeles on the current Pearl Jam dates... I'd hate to skip out on Pearl Jam.. and this the the one of the only things that would cause me to do that. The only other would be a Pink Floyd (semi-) Re-Union.

Alain Johannes??? Are you kidding? I loved Eleven. That is one helluva lineup!

I'm with you on being more excited about this than Pearl Jam. This is huge and I can't wait for the album or some tour news!
  • Options
    YieldedYielded Posts: 839
    Add me to the 'fucking psyched about this' list!!

Honestly, if I'd had the cash, I would've come to the US just for this one show. Wish the YouTube clips were better quality...
    "We get these pills to swallow... how they stick in your throat... Tastes like gold..."
  • Options
    drsluggodrsluggo Posts: 4,742
    Yielded wrote:

Honestly, if I'd had the cash, I would've come to the US just for this one show. Wish the YouTube clips were better quality...
    It was so loud in there that the only way anyone will have a decent recording is if they brought external mics, etc. I would be shocked if you could get a decent cellphone clip from anywhere in there that the 'non-VIPs' were allowed. :)
  • Options
    YieldedYielded Posts: 839
    drsluggo wrote:
    Yielded wrote:

It was so loud in there that the only way anyone will have a decent recording is if they brought external mics, etc. I would be shocked if you could get a decent cellphone clip from anywhere in there that the 'non-VIPs' were allowed. :)

Yeah, judging by the clips on YouTube, the gig must have been ridiculously loud!
    "We get these pills to swallow... how they stick in your throat... Tastes like gold..."
  • Options
    pjfan021pjfan021 Posts: 684
    it was very loud! you won't hear any good audio unless it was coming from the balcony, but like someone else said that was for VIP's so i doubt you'll get anything. I'm amazed at how underwraps they've kept this thing...but trust me the wait will be worth it.
  • Options
    BrainofBGABrainofBGA Australia Posts: 3,934
    Have owned this album since its release and only recently have been giving it repeated listens.

On the first few plays i really didn't get it. Maybe I thought it was 'just another' alternative rock record from Homme and co.

The penny has just dropped. This is a cracker of a record that has finally sunk in. I love that about a record though. The albums I love on first listen I get tired of quickly.

Melbourne #1 '98
    Melbourne #2 '03
    Melbourne #3 '03
    Melbourne #1 '06
    Melbourne #3 '06
    Melbourne '09
    Melbourne '14
  • Options
    RobbyD462RobbyD462 Victoria BC Posts: 4,768
    Still waiting on a second offering!
    -Seattle,Wash-Key Arena-9/21/9 -Vancouver,B.C-Rogers Arena-12/4/13
    -Seattle,Wash-Key Arena-9/22/9 -Pemberton,B.C-7/17/16
    -Vancouver,B.C-GM Place -9/25/9 -Seattle,Wash-Safeco Field-8/8/18
    -Vancouver,B.C-Pacific Coliseum-9/25/11 -Seattle,Wash-Safeco Field-8/10/18
    -Misoula,MT-Adams Field House-9/30/12

• Options
    kramer73kramer73 Posts: 2,603
    RobbyD462 said:

well, with Foo Fighters on hiatus...you never know!
  • Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,833
    kramer73 said:

RobbyD462 said:

they'd better get on it. JPJ ain't getting any younger!

Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,143
    kramer73 said:

RobbyD462 said:

How are the Foo's on hiatus? Is that new news?
    www.cluthelee.com