Options

Ed's Q&A from Uncut Magazine!!!!!!!!!!

Comments

• Options
    touringfantouringfan Posts: 568
    I have heard those UKE tracks / album and its good to hear he may release it as its a nice relaxing listen. Very good candid interview.
    baby boomers selling you rumors of their history, forcing youth away from the truth of what's real today.
  • Options
    FifthelementFifthelement Lotusland Posts: 6,907
    Thanks so much for transcribing the interview. What a great read :D:D:D
    "What the CANUCK happened?!? - Esquimalt Barber Shop
  • Options
    mohomoho Posts: 540
    Ed Byrne asked a question... hahaha thats cool, didn't know he did material on Ed but he wears pearl jam t shirts all the time, appreciate him a lot more now
    JUST PLAY THE F***ING NOTE!!!
  • Options
    embraceembrace Posts: 849
    This is good stuff. My fave is Ed's comments on the books- Kurt V is outstanding and Ed hits the nail on it regarding the humanist aspect-"we all have something going on that is worthy of introspection and respect"-This is part of why I love being a part of this trip- the promotion of individuals to be who you are, not a mindless follower. A janitor who is treated well and respected can live full and a socialite on the scene empty and depraved...Bukowski too- man I should go back and read Barfly- killer movie...Mickey and Faye.

Thanks for the transcribe!!
    got a car...got some gas...oh let's get out of here-get out of here fast...
    I hope you get this message but your not home...I will be there in just a minute or so...
    I want to go but I want to go with you.

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime. -MT

I've had enough, said enough, felt enough. I'm fine, still in it.
  • Options
    Harold and Maude

weird is perfect
  • Options
    einatshauleinatshaul Posts: 2,219
    UNCUT CUT And Bastardised my question!
    My REAL question was:
    "Dear Ed,
    Have you any guesses on what alien being got control of Chris Cornell, or, do you see yourself ever going in a total different musical direction, opposite to your fan base anticipation?"

I would never use the word Grunge in public, never, certainly not matched with ICONS... :cry:
  • Options
    OkOk Posts: 2,144
    einatshaul wrote:
    My REAL question was:
    "Dear Ed,
    Have you any guesses on what alien being got control of Chris Cornell, or, do you see yourself ever going in a total different musical direction, opposite to your fan base anticipation?"

I would never use the word Grunge in public, never, certainly not matched with ICONS... :cry:

Thats crazy. I would say I'm surprised, but it seems all too typical of journalism these days. sad.
  • Options
    flyinwhole313flyinwhole313 Posts: 1,651
    Great read. Thanks for transcribing, peeps..
  • Options
    weenieweenie Posts: 1,623
    Yeah, echoing everyone else's appreciation here. This was pretty special.

Is it just me, or can you sense the peace in Ed's soul these days? ;)
    ~I want to realize brotherhood or identity not merely with the beings called human, but I want to realize identity with all life, even with such things as crawl upon earth.~
    Mohandas K. Gandhi

~I once had a sparrow alight upon my shoulder for a moment, while I was hoeing in a village garden, and I felt that I was more distinguished by that circumstance than I should have been by any epaulette I could have worn.~
    Henry David Thoreau
  • Options
    blondieblue227blondieblue227 Va, USA Posts: 4,505
    thanks for posting part two!

It’s weird. I feel like I get Ed. Always have. We don’t ‘see’ too much of him but the parts I see from time to time just blow me always. It’s like he’s my older cousin or something.

From the fire pole reminding me of my dad, or my mom how she loves Kurt V to me wanting to surf and to maybe get to talk about it with Ed one day. I had wanted to ask him how it feels because he seems to be really good at describing it. See, I’m disabled and thought I’d never get to. I have lived near the ocean my whole life which was why I wanted to experience it. well, I’m happy to say I surfed with the help of the life rolls on foundation last year!

Sorry for the ramble.
    But yeah, Ed is a coolass motherfucker.
    *~Pearl Jam will be blasted from speakers until morale improves~*

• Options
    IamMineIamMine Posts: 2,743
    thanks for posting part two!

It’s weird. I feel like I get Ed. Always have. We don’t ‘see’ too much of him but the parts I see from time to time just blow me always. It’s like he’s my older cousin or something.

From the fire pole reminding me of my dad, or my mom how she loves Kurt V to me wanting to surf and to maybe get to talk about it with Ed one day. I had wanted to ask him how it feels because he seems to be really good at describing it. See, I’m disabled and thought I’d never get to. I have lived near the ocean my whole life which was why I wanted to experience it. well, I’m happy to say I surfed with the help of the life rolls on foundation last year!

Sorry for the ramble.
    But yeah, Ed is a coolass motherfucker.

It was a great ramble, blondieblue!! :)

At least you got to surf!! I almost was going to this fall...but it didn't pan out. bah.

But even if I did... I'd be very afraid because of my right arm that could be easily dislocated - hell, I've dislocated it once in my sleep - with thanks to the asshole stepfather.

I had to laugh at EV the "Pussy Dad" - I almost was going to make a separate post dedicated to that...because there is nothing wrong with being a pussy dad! It is a great treasure for his children and wife.

I love it when my husband is a pussy dad... it's priceless for the kids and me! I love it when he plays out on the porch in the back with trees - especially right under the wisteria trees with blue christmas lights! The kids will forever remember that when they get older.

Was gonna joke that I'd make a t-shirt for a show that says with a arrow, "This is my pussy dad!"

:P

How's that for a ramble? Yours is much better! ;):mrgreen:
    JA: Why do I get the Ticketmaster question?
    EV: It's your band.
    ~Q Magazine

"Kisses for the glow...kisses for the lease." - BDRII
  • Options
    IamMine ….. (ed says they wrote that song when the band was in my hometown, by the way)

Thank you for your kind post. :mrgreen:
    Pussy dad. That’s weak. From what I know that’s how good dads are supposed to act. Well, until you need them to be serious and do some firm parenting. It’s a fine line I guess. But my point is you’re no less of a dad if you’re playful like that. It’s called bonding and every kid needs that.

On the surfing bit……
    Anybody and everybody should volunteer at Life Rolls On for this surfing event. Hehehehe! Look it up, they go coast to coast. It’s people helping people. You won’t regret it.
    Here’s my surfing pics and video: http://www.ivykennedy.com/surf/surf.htm

• Options
    ComeToTXComeToTX Austin Posts: 7,558
    great stuff! thanks for posting.
    This show, another show, a show here and a show there.
  • Options
    Kilgore_TroutKilgore_Trout Posts: 7,334
    edited August 2009
    one of the best interviews ive ever read from this band! EASILY! thanks for sharing this one!

great question about chris's latest from one of our own (thanks einat)... i cant help but feel he avoided it to spare the feelings of a friend... how can he say hes the best voice on the planet, be an avid music collector, and not have heard the highly publicized new release from an old friend? good form ed... good form

awesome that tweedy got a question in too and clearly seems to be a fan... i like to see that kindof mutual respect between my favorite acts... and hopefully some collaboration in the future? :mrgreen:

oh and the personal beliefs ? was a good one too... and i think eds answer was really nicely thought out and worded... im so used to getting drunken clips and tangents from live shows that i sometimes forget just how eloquent he can be... i would expect no less from a fellow bokononist :mrgreen:

glad he took the time to do the interview... and especially glad people took the time to send in some decent questions
    Post edited by Kilgore_Trout on
    "Senza speme vivemo in disio"

http://seanbriceart.com/
  • Options
    LizardLizard So Cal Posts: 12,069
    Add my thanks to the list..........
    So I'll just lie down and wait for the dream
    Where I'm not ugly and you're lookin' at me
  • Options
    einatshaul wrote:
    My REAL question was:
    "Dear Ed,

for real? thats not cool

i think it got the point across without hurting the feelings of one of eds friends though

hopefully your question got ed interested in hearing his new album if he really hasnt

• Options
    IamMine ….. (ed says they wrote that song when the band was in my hometown, by the way)

Well, that's something new for me today! Sweet! :)

[
    Pussy dad. That’s weak. From what I know that’s how good dads are supposed to act. Well, until you need them to be serious and do some firm parenting. It’s a fine line I guess. But my point is you’re no less of a dad if you’re playful like that. It’s called bonding and every kid needs that.

I agree...it was just poor wording on Ed's behalf. :P But he knows it though...you could sense it from reading the interview, family is important to him too even before the guys. Smart man... friends are easy to forgive over beers and doghouses are not fun! :mrgreen:
    On the surfing bit……
    Anybody and everybody should volunteer at Life Rolls On for this surfing event. Hehehehe! Look it up, they go coast to coast. It’s people helping people. You won’t regret it.

Thank you so much for sharing - I so enjoyed reading and watching the video! Your laugh was priceless! Loved it!!!

I have already bookmarked your page so that I can send the link to some folks I know and who can also benefit from it. :)
    ~Q Magazine

• Options
    IamMine wrote:

I agree...it was just poor wording on Ed's behalf. :P But he knows it though...you could sense it from reading the interview, family is important to him too even before the guys. Smart man... friends are easy to forgive over beers and doghouses are not fun! :mrgreen:

yeah...i'm sure that's what Ed meant.
    i'm imagining him chanting on stage....instead of shoe the shoeless it's 'it's ok to be a pussy dad!' :lol:

thanks for looking at my page. i'm excited it may help somebody.

• Options
    weenieweenie Posts: 1,623

Thank you for your kind post. :mrgreen:

On the surfing bit……

I enjoyed seeing your pics and the video - very cool stuff blondieblue! Thanks for sharing with us. :D
    ~I want to realize brotherhood or identity not merely with the beings called human, but I want to realize identity with all life, even with such things as crawl upon earth.~
    Mohandas K. Gandhi

~I once had a sparrow alight upon my shoulder for a moment, while I was hoeing in a village garden, and I felt that I was more distinguished by that circumstance than I should have been by any epaulette I could have worn.~
    Henry David Thoreau
  • Options

i'm imagining him chanting on stage....instead of shoe the shoeless it's 'it's ok to be a pussy dad!' :lol:

ROTLMFAO!!!!! Good one!!! :lol::lol::lol:

thanks for looking at my page. i'm excited it may help somebody.

And I hope you get to surf again sooner than later!

Thanks for making my night, blondieblue... PJ fans are awesome - or should I quote Tom Tomorrow, "PJ fans are very cool..." 8-)

xo
    ~Q Magazine

• Options
    Thanks for the kind words peeps. But I really did not mean to derail this thread. Lol!

Yup PJ fans are the best! (until they hop online to bitch about 10c seats……but I digress) hehehe.

• Options
    Thanks for the kind words peeps. But I really did not mean to derail this thread. Lol!

No no... I take the blame. I know I tend to ramble... I gotta work on that. :P I know not a lot of people have time to read 1,000 words of mine, nor do I expect them to relate with me.

Besides, your post was noteworthy regarding non-profit organization and people helping people - which is badly needed these days. I'm what Ed said something like this (paraphrasing): "I enjoy reading interviews on musicians I appreciate, but half of the time I wish they'd shut up". :oops: I'm one of those a lot of people, even here, would wish I shut the hell up. Even someone told me recently, "I'd let it go... or it'd drive you crazy." It's true, though. :P I drive everyone crazy, even my better half. ;)

Anyway...back to the great interview!

Great great great post and many many thanks for taking the time to type out the interview....

...and OP, may I kindly suggest that you update the first post with the 2nd interview part to save people some grief of reading silly posts like mine. ;)

...fading away....
    ~Q Magazine

• Options
    Well on my PJ profile page I have stated “ed has inspired me to never shut up!” then I post a link my blog. i know some people wished he'd shut up and just sing. but i like that he runs on at times. to me Ed's much more than some singer. he's very smart. and i wannta hear what he has to say. not that you have to agree with him, but he's an interesting guy to listen to.

Great suggestion to the OP. I was thinking the same thing.

• Options
    Stu42Stu42 Posts: 178
    the bit about vonnegut was great. those books changed my entire way of thinking, and i think its amazing to see ed take something to heart as much as i do. im gonna have to go back and give my bukowski book another read too
  • Options

The wording on this statement :lol: I can't stop laughing!!!

The single best Ed interview ever! It was hard to believe that it was really him responding at times. The humanist statement,KV, and the Yellow Ledbetter insight are priceless.
  • Options
    force-10force-10 Posts: 794
    THANK YOU for posting this! Never new what yellow ledbetter was about.
    IN THE DARK, ALL CATS ARE BLACK.
  • Options
    Bump. People need to read this if they haven't.
  • Options
    AGREED! why cant the DEEP magazine interviews be this entertaining?!?

• Options
    AGREED! why cant the DEEP magazine interviews be this entertaining?!?

I got to say that I've enjoyed the last couple of deep interviews, particularly the stone and jeff one. But yeah, this interview is top notch because eddie seems at ease.

Does anyone know if this interview was done with a reporter who provided "fan" questions and eddie spoke his answers? Or was it something where Eddie was emailed (sent) the questions and he typed his response?
  • Options
    ZosoZoso Posts: 6,425
    ed has a fire house pole!! wait he has 4 stories in his house :D
    I'm just flying around the other side of the world to say I love you

Sha la la la i'm in love with a jersey girl

I love you forever and forever :)

Adel 03 Melb 1 03 LA 2 06 Santa Barbara 06 Gorge 1 06 Gorge 2 06 Adel 1 06 Adel 2 06 Camden 1 08 Camden 2 08 Washington DC 08 Hartford 08