edited February 2013 in The Porch
PERFECT GAME!!!! GO CRAZY!!!!!!!

:shock: :mrgreen: :P :mrgreen: :shock: :geek: :!: :!: :!: :!:
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    given2fly23given2fly23 Evanston, IL Posts: 5,877
    screw the Sox.

(gotta hand it to Buehrle though, very impressive, and against a real team too)
    Found: Soundgarden Hyde Park DVD (Thank you for the gift!)
    Posters for Sale: http://community.pearljam.com/discussion/117469/posters-for-sale
    T-Shirts for Sale: http://community.pearljam.com/discussion/149289/pj-t-shirt-trade-or-sale
  • Options
    davidtriosdavidtrios Posts: 9,732
    non-entity wrote:
    screw the Sox.

he's one of the greatest lefties of all time- never gets injured and always throw 200 innings. he also did it against the rangers (i was there) who also had a potent offense. sammy ruined the perfect game by walking but was promptly picked off!!!
  • Options
    over bendsover bends Posts: 1,568
    I'm such a whore for perfect games. Gotta love it. What a snatch by Wise!
    Yield!

3 Decibels Doubles the Volume

• Options
    QuadrupleDekeQuadrupleDeke Boston Posts: 168
    he's one of the greatest lefties of all time!
    Incorrect.
    7/1/03 ... 9/28/04 ... 5/30/06 ... 6/3/06 ... 6/30/08 ... 8/2/08 (ev solo) ... 10/30/09 ... 10/31/09 ... 5/17/10 ... 5/21/10 ... 3/27/11 (tres mts) ... 6/16/11 (ev solo) ... 10/19/13 ... 8/5/16 ... 8/7/16 ... 9/2/18 ... 9/4/18
  • Options
    Kilgore_TroutKilgore_Trout Posts: 7,334
    he was at one point... i dont think hes allowed to switch back again after writing "all the way" :P
    "Senza speme vivemo in disio"

http://seanbriceart.com/
  • Options
    jimed14jimed14 Posts: 9,488
    the catch by DeWayne Wise was amazing.

He covered so much ground, over the wall ... bobble, recovery ...

amazing.
    "You're one of the few Red Sox fans I don't mind." - Newch91

"I don't believe in damn curses. Wake up the damn Bambino and have me face him. Maybe I'll drill him in the ass." --- Pedro Martinez
  • Options
    mysameoldfriendmysameoldfriend Tennessee Posts: 227
    jimed14 wrote:
    the catch by DeWayne Wise was amazing.

He covered so much ground, over the wall ... bobble, recovery ...

amazing.

I think he owes him a car now!
  • Options
    Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,598
    non-entity wrote:
    screw the Sox.

he's one of the greatest lefties of all time- never gets injured and always throw 200 innings. he also did it against the rangers (i was there) who also had a potent offense. sammy ruined the perfect game by walking but was promptly picked off!!!

Come on. He is a very good pitcher and what he did today was incredible but one of the best lefties of all time, Please
  • Options
    Days like today are the reason baseball is such a great game!
  • Options
    8181 Needing a ride to Forest Hills and a ounce of weed. Please inquire within. Thanks. Or not. Posts: 58,276
    i asked a guy in the office if he wanted to skip out this afternoon and go. he said no. :lol:

The Sox now have as many perfect games as teh Cubs have WS titles. :lol:
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • Options
    LikeAnOceanLikeAnOcean Posts: 7,718
    LSDemon wrote:
    Incorrect.
    No, correct.. one of the most underrated I might add.
  • Options
    LSDemon wrote:
    Incorrect.
    No, correct.. one of the most underrated I might add.

Grove
    Koufax
    Carlton
    Johnson
    Ford
    Spahn
    Glavine

Should I keep going? He is not even in the same universe as these guys. He is a good pitcher and what he did today is very special but come on.
  • Options
    sgossard3 wrote:
    he was at one point... i dont think hes allowed to switch back again after writing "all the way" :P
    Back when him and Jack McDowell were friends (backwords Sox hat on SNL and Unplugged), but he grew up a Cubs fan.. I give Cubs fans shit, but I'd rather they stay true. Switching over is a sign of weekness. Only people we want to grab are new recruits.
  • Options
    mhterrapinmhterrapin Posts: 99
    very true, as Jayson Stark just said, he is the most underrated current pitcher in baseball. He's not only known as the best athlete on the team by players and coaches, but he is adored in Chicago.
  • Options
    mhterrapin wrote:
    very true, as Jayson Stark just said, he is the most underrated current pitcher in baseball. He's not only known as the best athlete on the team by players and coaches, but he is adored in Chicago.

Well shit, if Jayson Stark said it, it must be true. Being one of the most underrated pitchers in baseball does not make you one of the best lefties to ever play the game.
  • Options
    8181 Needing a ride to Forest Hills and a ounce of weed. Please inquire within. Thanks. Or not. Posts: 58,276
    of active players,

he is 19th in ERA, 5th amoung lefties.

17th in winning %, 8th amoung Lefties

i'd say he is above average, but not yet amoung the all time greats.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • Options
    sgossard3 wrote:
    Switching over is a sign of weekness.

I've demanded my team (Pirates) trade me before the deadline, if not, i'm leaving as a free agent fan at the end of the season.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • Options
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

Grove
    Koufax
    Carlton
    Johnson
    Ford
    Spahn
    Glavine

Should I keep going? He is not even in the same universe as these guys. He is a good pitcher and what he did today is very special but come on.
    I'll have to research stats, but if nothing else, he is one of the most underrated.
  • Options
    I'll have to research stats, but if nothing else, he is one of the most underrated.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/leade ... reer.shtml
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • Options
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

Grove
    Koufax
    Carlton
    Johnson
    Ford
    Spahn
    Glavine

Fair enough, I will agree he is incredibly underrated and what he did today was awesome.
  • Options
    no, it doesn't make you one of the best ever, but it's worth mentioning either way. I mention Stark because he was just discussing it about 2 minutes ago on TV. Regardless, he's only 30 so we all hope he'll be around for a long time. Congrats Sox fans!!!!
  • Options
    mhterrapin wrote:
    no, it doesn't make you one of the best ever, but it's worth mentioning either way. I mention Stark because he was just discussing it about 2 minutes ago on TV. Regardless, he's only 30 so we all hope he'll be around for a long time. Congrats Sox fans!!!!

he said he is retiring when his current contract is up.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • Options
    He did, but that's why we all hope he'll change his mind and extend his career.
  • Options
    81 wrote:
    mhterrapin wrote:

he said he is retiring when his current contract is up.

Really? That is suprising, he is only signed through 2011. Hopefully he sticks around.
  • Options
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    Days like today are the reason baseball is such a great game!

One of many.

Amazing accomplishment for Buehrle! That's huge!

I was just thinking the other day that they come about every five years lately: David Cone's was 10 years ago last Saturday, and Randy Johnson's was in 2004. So right on schedule.

Now, if they would only recognize poor Harvey Haddix's game...http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harvey_Haddix
    There's a lot to be said for nowhere...
  • Options
    mick21MCmick21MC Posts: 18
    i'm a cubs fan but that's still incredible. what a catch by d wise
  • Options
    Vedd HeddVedd Hedd Posts: 4,435
    81 wrote:

Those numbers dont tell the whole story...like pitching in US Cellular field, mound being lowered, steroids, etc....

look at how many people have ever pitched a perfect game...and buehrle almost did it twice.

how many pitchers have faced the least amount of batters possible twice?

And again...Buehrle, in THAT park, on a good day to hit, against THAT lineup, with THOSE terrible defenders behind him! Incredible...
    Near to death.
    Here to die.
    Scared alive.
  • Options
    Vedd HeddVedd Hedd Posts: 4,435
    mick21MC wrote:
    i'm a cubs fan but that's still incredible. what a catch by d wise

Yeah, that was crazy!
    Near to death.
    Here to die.
    Scared alive.
  • Options
    mick21MCmick21MC Posts: 18
    oh yeah... and during the press conference after the game when buehrle was getting interviewed, one guy interrupted and told buehrle that the president had called wanting to speak to and congratulate him.

and about the thread title... eddie should definately still be a cubs fan!!
  • Options
    davidtriosdavidtrios Posts: 9,732
    Vedd Hedd wrote:
    81 wrote:

Those numbers dont tell the whole story...like pitching in US Cellular field, mound being lowered, steroids, etc....

look at how many people have ever pitched a perfect game...and buehrle almost did it twice.

how many pitchers have faced the least amount of batters possible twice?

And again...Buehrle, in THAT park, on a good day to hit, against THAT lineup, with THOSE terrible defenders behind him! Incredible...

Instead of saying +1 I'll say Bump! But bump sucks almost as bad as +1 So I'll say

GOOD POINT!