Options

Overblown Criticism of The Fixer

Comments

• Options
    U R A Crazy BreedU R A Crazy Breed Posts: 8,370
    edited July 2009
    And I was commenting on the usual "I want No Code again" as mentioned earlier in this thread- congrats on one positive thing today though

read above and try again..that's not what i said...people love to misunderstand you then put words in your fucking mouth around here.

i meant no code-esque..as in groundbreaking for it's time..doing the same thing again..breaking ground again...not making the same music!
    Post edited by U R A Crazy Breed on
  • Options
    Ledbetterman10Ledbetterman10 Posts: 16,725

And I was commenting on the usual "I want No Code again" as mentioned earlier in this thread

I think that poster's comment was misunderstood. He said "I was expecting more forward progression..more No Code type" which I took to mean that he was hoping for a jump in style from Avocado to Backspacer as there was from Vitalogy to No Code.

congrats on one positive thing today though

Hey, it's the only positive thing I had to say about the song. god you sound like such a tool sarcastically saying "congrats" like that.
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • Options
    UpSideDownUpSideDown Posts: 1,966
    I don't....that's why i was a fan to begin with!!....i like shit with layers/depth...i hear Fixer and i feel like they are chasing the top 40.....I'm not totally bashing it but it's just...no right...don't feel like PJ to me either...sounds like an Eddie Money song to me, music wise...this is the same band that gave us immortality?...sorry but at this stage in their careers i was expecting more forward progression..more No Code type..progressive, groundbreaking deep shit...it's like they are regressing with this song! I mean Bigwave was the same almost...but at least Ed surfs :mrgreen: ...whatever....i like Got some....can't wait to see what the rest of the album has to offer.

all i know is mad people seem to be really into it and yet Binaural gets no love..not like it should...so maybe I'm just a different breed.

more forward progression like no code? Isnt that going backwards in time?

I think it takes guts to put out a song like this........they are taking their music where they want to, and i like it.
  • Options
    U R A Crazy BreedU R A Crazy Breed Posts: 8,370
    edited July 2009
    i meant no code-esque..as in groundbreaking for it's time..doing the same thing again..breaking ground again...not making the same music!

Post edited by U R A Crazy Breed on
  • Options
    pjsteelerfanpjsteelerfan Maryland Posts: 9,883

And I was commenting on the usual "I want No Code again" as mentioned earlier in this thread

I think that poster's comment was misunderstood. He said "I was expecting more forward progression..more No Code type" which I took to mean that he was hoping for a jump in style from Avocado to Backspacer as there was from Vitalogy to No Code.

Hey, it's the only positive thing I had to say about the song. god you sound like such a tool sarcastically saying "congrats" like that.

Yes, I got that after it was cleared up. And your response has you sounding the same
    ...got a mind full of questions and a teacher in my soul...
  • Options
    Ledbetterman10Ledbetterman10 Posts: 16,725

As your response has you sounding the same

wow, alright I'm done with you. We're both Steelers fans so here's to next season.
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • Options
    UpSideDownUpSideDown Posts: 1,966

I think they are breaking new ground w/ this song............it has some very creative and unique aspects to it, as long as you get over the "omg its pop factor"
  • Options
    Bulldog88Bulldog88 Posts: 380
    Relax.. three of their best slower songs EVER will be on this album. Speed Of Sound/ Unknown Thought and The End.

I can vouch for that - agreed! :D
  • Options
    soulsingingsoulsinging Posts: 13,208
    guess what...i'll be in Philly for every show that goes down...maybe fixer will be my piss break song.

You better be a quick hand with the zipper, cos it's a pretty short song.
  • Options
    ATTENTION GENIUSES: people dont mean they want another No Code, they want another game changer like No Code happened to be (not that i agree completely with that. dont change just for change sake). This is Avocado part 2! stop with the knee-jerk crybaby responses already. Stop being so crushed that not everyone likes your precious song. Stop with the "go put on your flannel and listen to Jeremy" cries (because everyone knows Ten fans aren't real PJ fans!). It makes you sound like a whiner.

please im trying to help you.
  • Options
    LikeAnOceanLikeAnOcean Posts: 7,718
    MrSmith wrote:
    ATTENTION GENIUSES: people dont mean they want another No Code, they want another game changer like No Code happened to be. This is Avocado part 2! stop with the knee-jerk crybaby responses already. Stop being so crushed that not everyone likes your precious song. Stop with the "go put on your flannel and listen to Jeremy" cries (because everyone knows Ten fans aren't real PJ fans!). It makes you sound like a whiner.

please im trying to help you.
    This album is a changer. I don't recall "new wave" influence on Avocado. I don't think Got Some or The Fixer would have fit on Avocado.
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    tcaporale wrote:
    I don't see how any of their music is "bubblegum". I couldn't see any of the Disney pop acts performing these songs, at least not without sounding completely out of their element.
    After The Fixer, i cant really say that now. This is possibly Disney Channel material.
    Post edited by LikeAnOpeningBandForTheSun on
  • Options
    Vedd HeddVedd Hedd Posts: 4,429
    Jeez, I forgot howcompletely goofy this place gets around this time.

I also remember a lot less fighting, a lot less name calling, and a lot less "reactionary" threads. That is, people were less inclined to just start threads to incite fury.

I wish everyone still had dialup.

I mean, it's one thing to hate a song, but it quite another thing to devote a thread to why YOU don't like a song.

It's also something all together different to start threads hoping for reaction.

Somebody just let me know when Philly III is announced.
    Near to death.
    Here to die.
    Scared alive.
  • Options
    mrshock13mrshock13 Posts: 472
    [/quote] This album is a changer. I don't recall "new wave" influence on Avocado. I don't think Got Some or The Fixer would have fit on Avocado.[/quote]

Wow, that statement right there has to be the first thing I've agreed with in the 20 hours of immaturity that has once again flooded these boards.
  • Options
    UpSideDown wrote:

I think they are breaking new ground w/ this song............it has some very creative and unique aspects to it, as long as you get over the "omg its pop factor"

this is Pearl Jam not fucking Nickleback....i just don't expect this type of shit from them...and i'm not saying anyone is wrong in liking it or that i'm a better fan or i want old sounds back...FUCK!! I feel like a bunch of rabid chihuahuas are nipping at my ankles! :mrgreen:
  • Options
    UpSideDown wrote:

this is Pearl Jam not fucking Nickleback....i just don't expect this type of shit from them...and i'm not saying anyone is wrong in liking it or that i'm a better fan or i want old sounds back...FUCK!! I feel like a bunch of rabid chihuahuas are nipping at my ankles! :mrgreen:

Nickelback? When has Nickelback ever released anything that sounds remotely like this? If anything, they sound closer to Ten than The Fixer. Don't get me wrong, I detest Nickelback, but that's an absurd comparison.
  • Options
    Vedd Hedd wrote:

I also remember a lot less fighting, a lot less name calling, and a lot less "reactionary" threads. That is, people were less inclined to just start threads to incite fury.

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

yeah...i made this thread to incite fury!! HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA......WOW! :lol::lol::lol:
  • Options
    soopsoop Posts: 191
    SM60026 wrote:
    i was expecting more forward progression..more No Code type

Dude, I'm not trying to be a jerk I swear, but how is going back and recording music like they already recorded "forward progression?"

I don't think we've heard a song quite like "The Fixer" from PJ before, and I am freaking stoked about hearing something new. There's nothing wrong with a little Pop as long as it's done well, and this song is done WELL.

Just my thoughts...

\S/

There is never going to be No Code- part two, hate to break everyone's heart, but NEVER. Just like there won't be Ten II, Vs. II, Vitalogy II, Yield II, etc.

And yet it looks like there's going to be an Avacado II...
  • Options
    UpSideDown wrote:

Actually, you kind of ARE saying that it's wrong for people to like it. Look at your thread title and your first post. You can't be surprise that people are calling you on it.
    It's not like you went into a random thread and said "I'm not a big fan."
    Near to death.
    Here to die.
    Scared alive.
  • Options

Nickelback? When has Nickelback ever released anything that sounds remotely like this? If anything, they sound closer to Ten than The Fixer. Don't get me wrong, I detest Nickelback, but that's an absurd comparison.

that comment was purely in regard to the "lightness" or "radio friendliness" of the song.
  • Options

that comment was purely in regard to the "lightness" or "radio friendliness" of the song.

I see. God forbid one of their songs gets played on the radio. That would be the first time since their last 25 radio hits :roll:
  • Options
    LikeAnOceanLikeAnOcean Posts: 7,718
    edited July 2009

Pearl Jam needs more fun, poppy songs. They've done ENOUGH experimenting with dark and serious topics.. Whenever I play Pearl Jam in front of non-fans they tell me the music makes them feel suicidal.
    Post edited by LikeAnOcean on
  • Options
    Vedd Hedd wrote:

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

yeah...i made this thread to incite fury!! HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA......WOW! :lol::lol::lol:

the day the single was released, you went on to the main web site of the band, and said that the new song is bubblegum pop music. What did you expect would happen?

I hated Evacuation when it first came out, and I still do. But odds are there was probably someone who liked it. Besides matt, that is.

The last thing I would do was accidentally ruin it. Or take that away from someone.
    Near to death.
    Here to die.
    Scared alive.
  • Options
    they just sound sort of out of touch to me. like they are so alternative that mainstream music looks even more alternative. like reverse psychology or something. im falling behind their musical tastes!
  • Options

Pearl Jam needs more fun, poppy songs. They've done ENOUGH experimenting.

But I want another song like LBC... you know, a droning organ, depressing verses about people dying, a chorus that steals from other, better songs, uninspired vocals. I want something that makes me want to slit my wrists, not something I can get excited to see in concert and pump my first and sing along to. Music is not supposed to be FUN for God's sakes, it's supposed to be depressing and soul-crushingly self-indulgent.
  • Options
    esacks23esacks23 Posts: 69
    yeah, think hard.. real hard. remember? sure, there's always some that don't need "growing" but there's always more that do, of late, it seems. anyway, "the fixer" can grow as tall as it wants the rest of my life, but it won't grow on me. hopefully there will be some other songs on this album that i'll like immediately... even though they're all gonna be 2.5 minute into the wild extended versions. the songs these guys are putting out these days are shorter than eddie. and i don't want to beat this into the ground, but damn, they should know better than to write and release a song with such stupid lyrics. looks like i've found another good bathroom break/beer run song... i better be quick though!!!;) hopefully they'll jam out that ridiculous fade out ending so i have time to get back to my seat for hopefully NOT "betterman".
  • Options
    tcaporaletcaporale Posts: 1,577
    Uh, most of Pearl Jam's more complex music took longer to grow on me. Basically everything on Binaural did. If anything, "The Fixer" is one of the band's most immediate songs.
  • Options
    Gary CarterGary Carter Shea Stadium Posts: 13,940

Pearl Jam needs more fun, poppy songs. They've done ENOUGH experimenting.
    if i want poppy i'd go listen to the jonas brothers. this sounds something like what the jonas brothers or nickleback are doing.
    Ron: I just don't feel like going out tonight
    Sammi: Wanna just break up?

• Options
    pjsteelerfanpjsteelerfan Maryland Posts: 9,883
    FUCK!! I feel like a bunch of rabid chihuahuas are nipping at my ankles! :mrgreen:
    :lol: Best statement in this whole thread
    ...got a mind full of questions and a teacher in my soul...
  • Options
    WTF? If you want a song that sounds familiar on first listen, then go listen to Creed or Nickelback.