Options

Overblown Criticism of The Fixer

Comments

• Options
    Just about every PJ song I've ever heard after "Vitalogy" had to grow on me at least a little. I think that's a good thing. Ten and Versus are starting to sound dated. The music post Vitalogy has aged a lot better.
    So this life is sacrifice...
    6/30/98 Minneapolis, 10/8/00 East Troy (Brrrr!), 6/16/03 St. Paul, 6/27/06 St. Paul
  • Options
    pjamaholic wrote:
    I second the above post. But there is nothing and I repeat NOTHING like listening to a PJ album the first time, thinking it's ok, not that great, then listening to it some more, liking it a little more, listening to it again, then again, then again then suddenly realising it's fucking GREAT! That's the way I felt with the Avocado. I love it when PJ songs grow on me.

Agreed. Yield was very much a slow burn for me. I liked it enough upon release but it took me a year or two to crown it as their best.
    So this life is sacrifice...
    6/30/98 Minneapolis, 10/8/00 East Troy (Brrrr!), 6/16/03 St. Paul, 6/27/06 St. Paul
  • Options
    JennytreeJennytree Posts: 5,340
    I remember hearing 'Go' for the first time and thought it was utter shite. I even fast-forwarded past it to get to 'Daughter' :lol:
    This is me:
    http://www.facebook.com/jennytree

SMELL YER MA!
  • Options
    pdalowskypdalowsky Doncaster,UK Posts: 14,706
    tcaporale wrote:
    Uh, most of Pearl Jam's more complex music took longer to grow on me. Basically everything on Binaural did. If anything, "The Fixer" is one of the band's most immediate songs.

agreed, anyone says they loved NAIS first off is telling blatant porky pies, and for that matter also Who you are, lukin, and even spin the black circle.....none iof those were immediate, and all of them are pure brilliance

the fixer, is though, immediately likable
  • Options
    pdalowskypdalowsky Doncaster,UK Posts: 14,706
    and as for Go, I must say thats the one song that struck me on first listen as being incredible...

I recall first ghearing it on cassette as my brothers friend played it for him and I was blown away....I must have been 13 at the time, and that changed me forever. Whenever I hear Go now, it makes me feel good. That is one fucking awesome piece of music, and especially when it charges straight into animal.

That was a great day, especially when they made me a copy of it......
  • Options
    all music grows on me...i never "love" a song from the start....but i still cant stand breakerfall & evacuation
  • Options
    i will say the Fixer has grown on me in that instead of actively despising it and hating everything about, i now just want to forget it exists.

i'm out folks! goodnight!
  • Options
    starmap3333starmap3333 Posts: 3,908
    We're all more impressionable when we're young.
    Ithaca, NY-11/6/91 SPAC, NY-8/4/92 Rochester, NY-4/7/94 Toronto-9/21/96 Buffalo, NY-10/1/96 Barrie, ONT-8/20/98 Pittsburgh, PA- 8/25/98 Jones Beach, NY-8/23/00 Jones Beach, NY-8/24/00 Jones Beach, NY-8/25/00 SPAC, NY-8/27/00 Buffalo, NY-5/2/03 MSG-7/8/03 MSG -7/9/03 Hamilton, ONT-9/13/05 Albany, NY-5/12/06 Cleveland, OH-5/20/06 Camden, NJ-5/27/06 East Ruth, NJ-6/3/06 Chicago, IL-8/5/07 Bonnaroo-6/14/08 MSG-6/24/08 MSG-7/25/08 Mansfield, MA-7/30/08 Chicago, IL-8/23/09 Philly, PA-10/30/09 Philly, PA-10/31/09 Buffalo, NY 5/10/10 MSG 1&2 5/20-21/10
  • Options
    dude...i love the beatles..born and raised around their music...but that was the '50s when they made those songs! and it was "new" at the time...this is 2000 and fucking 9!!!...not the the same at all!

Yeah, it's very clear here that when you say that "it was the 50s when they made those songs", you obviously meant that the SOUND was 1950's and you know they made those songs in the 60's. :roll: Kinda like how anytime you and metsfan say a song is not poppy to bolster your argument and everyone points out that said song is very catchy and poppy (the cure, satan's bed, etc), you immediately claim you meant only the lyrics. Or when you say Nickelback is poppy and everyone asks what you're smoking, you clarify that you mean it's mainstream and not deep enough. You're the king of the backpedal.

By all means, hate the song. But be honest about it. It's got nothing to do with selling out or not taking new directions (which this song is for PJ), or anything else... it's the fact that the song is fun and goofy, and you want your PJ as dour and angsty as it was in the 90's.

I know what i meant when i said the Beatles songs were from the 50s..i just didn't type what i was thinking..i'm more of a conversationalist than a typist so you can beat that dead horse all you want....i never said anything about the cure so i don't know what the fuck you are talking about...and pop means POPULAR!! so yeah i said that knickleback is poppy, THEY ARE! i'm not into the music that the masses listen to...a lot of people have shitty taste and don't know what good music is (or else PJ would still be huge)..i also never said anything about them being sellouts...and i'm not backpedaling at all..so go try your paltry lawyer skills on someone else..i mean i'm sure you will make a great ambulance chaser IF you pass the bar... but all you are to me is an annoying fly buzzing around my dinner table.

and by all means i do dislike the song and i will speak my mind when i choose to..if you or anyone else has a problem with that then too fucking bad..i'm all for the band to go in a new direction but not when that direction is down the drain...and that's where this song belongs...and i will take dark (Alice in chains,Led Zep) over goofy and fun (enter your favorite band here) any day! makes for better music.
  • Options
    South of SeattleSouth of Seattle West Seattle Posts: 10,708
    and pop means POPULAR!! so yeah i said that knickleback is poppy, THEY ARE! i'm not into the music that the masses listen to

The masses listen to Pearl Jam. Pearl Jam is very popular. Don't really understand the point you're trying to make with that one.

If Pearl Jam wasn't popular they wouldn't sell out every large arena show in the matter of days.

Just sayin' :mrgreen:
    NERDS!
  • Options
    pandorapandora Posts: 21,855
    "needing" a song to grow on you is a bad thing? Its learning to love it -really getting it
    I think thats a good thing
  • Options
    Wolf At BayWolf At Bay Posts: 236
    We're all more impressionable when we're young.
    I think this is an excellent point.

I would also say that I would rather have PJ keep making DIFFERENT records, which they do, they have them just churn out Ten-clones over and over and over to satisfy the nostalgic fans. Some bands do that, good for them, whatever, but its boring. Difficult as it may be to understand, if you don't dig the new tunes, that might actually be a GOOD thing, because if you got exactly what you wanted from a new PJ song, it would go stale fast.

That said, I think the new songs are great.

I was listening to "Long Road" a few minutes ago and thought "they haven't made a song like this in a while."
    And then it hit me. They don't have to. They already wrote "Long Road!" No need to repeat themselves.
    So Got Some and the Fixer are very satisfying. A new twist in the Pearl Jam canon, but they have the PJ magic.
  • Options
    dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam NINUNINOPRO Posts: 139,158
    it's the fact that the song is fun and goofy, and you want your PJ as dour and angsty as it was in the 90's.

You people defending The Fixer have to understand that those of us who hate it don't want dour and angsty or anything that was in the 90's.....we just hate THIS song. Just THIS song. We don't want Vitalogy Part 2, we don't want Jeremy Goes To College. We just don't want THIS ONE SONG because we think it's horrible.

Got Some IS 90s... it's just like stbc, brain of j, or any other number of fast angry, aggressive riff rockers.
    exactly,,Got Some is all that...it remember me the power like solat puts out..
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • Options
    ofthegirl75ofthegirl75 New Jersey Posts: 300
    all music grows on me...i never "love" a song from the start....but i still cant stand breakerfall & evacuation

Totally agree!
  • Options
    and pop means POPULAR!! so yeah i said that knickleback is poppy, THEY ARE! i'm not into the music that the masses listen to

The masses listen to Pearl Jam. Pearl Jam is very popular. Don't really understand the point you're trying to make with that one.

If Pearl Jam wasn't popular they wouldn't sell out every large arena show in the matter of days.

in a matter of minutes u mean :)
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • Options
    South of SeattleSouth of Seattle West Seattle Posts: 10,708

in a matter of minutes u mean :)

10 club tickets = minutes

Ticketmaster = couple of days.
    NERDS!
  • Options
    and btw ,there is a reason that,none of us in this threat is a member of pearl jam ,,the best rock band in the world,that make so great music for 19 years now,for sure knows better than all of us,,they know their music level,and they will not make it lower,whatever u,me or everybody thinks about their songs.
  • Options
    HeavyHandsHeavyHands Posts: 2,130
    and btw ,there is a reason that,none of us in this threat is a member of pearl jam ,,the best rock band in the world,that make so great music for 19 years now,for sure knows better than all of us,,they know their music level,and they will not make it lower,whatever u,me or everybody thinks about their songs.

dimitrispearljam,

I don't know for the life of me why you use so many commas all the time (for a bit I thought your keyboard was broken. ha ha)... but your enthusiasm and positivity are infectious! :)

Cheers!
    "A lot more people are capable of being big out there that just don't give themselves a chance." -Stone Gossard
  • Options
    HeavyHands wrote:

dimitrispearljam,

I don't know for the life of me why you use so many commas all the time (for a bit I thought your keyboard was broken. ha ha)... but your enthusiasm and positivity are infectious! :)

Cheers!
    the space button is broke and use the commas like a space :lol::lol:
    cheers my friend
  • Options
    HeavyHandsHeavyHands Posts: 2,130
    the space button is broke and use the commas like a space :lol::lol:
    cheers my friend

Ahhhhhh! :lol:
    "A lot more people are capable of being big out there that just don't give themselves a chance." -Stone Gossard
  • Options
    QuadrupleDekeQuadrupleDeke Boston Posts: 168
    Guys, there have been way too many repetitive threads. Look for a similar thread before posting. Thanks.

;)
    7/1/03 ... 9/28/04 ... 5/30/06 ... 6/3/06 ... 6/30/08 ... 8/2/08 (ev solo) ... 10/30/09 ... 10/31/09 ... 5/17/10 ... 5/21/10 ... 3/27/11 (tres mts) ... 6/16/11 (ev solo) ... 10/19/13 ... 8/5/16 ... 8/7/16 ... 9/2/18 ... 9/4/18
  • Options
    benjsbenjs Toronto, ON Posts: 8,938
    LSDemon wrote:
    Guys, there have been way too many repetitive threads. Look for a similar thread before posting. Thanks.

;)
    :shock:
    Please tell me this is a joke.
    viewtopic.php?f=4&t=104509
    '05 - TO, '06 - TO 1, '08 - NYC 1 & 2, '09 - TO, Chi 1 & 2, '10 - Buffalo, NYC 1 & 2, '11 - TO 1 & 2, Hamilton, '13 - Buffalo, Brooklyn 1 & 2, '15 - Global Citizen, '16 - TO 1 & 2, Chi 2

EV
    Toronto Film Festival 9/11/2007, '08 - Toronto 1 & 2, '09 - Albany 1, '11 - Chicago 1
  • Options
    Irony is a wonderful thing ;)
    "P-E-A-R-L J-A-M is priceless to me."
  • Options

yeah..the masses listened in the early 90s..not anymore...not even close....they are much more obscure now..not to us..but to the rest of the world.
  • Options
    PearlJamPatriotPearlJamPatriot Posts: 2,426
    Seriosulym there are 20,000 threads about the same fuckign thing. Its tiring. Man, wait until the album drops! This place is going to a zoo.

People are way over analyzing the song and Pearl Jam. You cant make a full assessment on the direction and or if Pearl Jam has lost it until we hear the whole album.

Thank god Kat is merging all the similar threads.
    Pearl Jam Shows: 1998 - 9/11 New York, NY (MSG night 2); 9/13 Hartford, CT || 2000 - 8/24 Wantagh, NY (Jones Beach 2); 8/27 Saratoga Springs; 8/29 Mansfield, MA (night 1); 8/30 Mansfield, MA (night 2) || 2003 - 4/29 Albany, NY; 5/3 State College, PA; 7/2 Mansfield (night 1); 7/6 Camden, NJ (night 2); 7/8 New York, NY (MSG night 1) || 2004 - 9/28 Boston, MA (night 1); 9/29 Boston, MA (night 2) || 2005 - 10/3 Philadelphia, PA || 2006 - 5/12 Albany, NY; 5/13 Hartford, CT; 5/24 Boston, MA (night 1); 5/25 Boston, MA (night 2); 5/27 Camden, NJ (night 1); 5/28 Camden, NJ (night 2)|| 2008 - 6/19 Camden, NJ (night 1); 6/24 New York, NY (MSG night 1); 6/25 New York, NY (MSG night 2); 6/27 Hartford, CT; 6/28 Mansfield, MA (night 1); 6/30 Mansfield, MA (night 2); 7/1 New York, NY (Beacon Theater)|| 2009 - 9/21 Seattle, WA (night 1); 9/22 Seattle, WA (night 2); 10/27 Philadelphia, PA (Spectrum night 1); 10/28 Philadelphia, PA (Spectrum night 2); 10/30 Philadelphia, PA (Spectrum night 3); 10/31 Philadelphia, PA (Spectrum night 4)|| 2010 - 5/15 Hartford, CT; 5/17 Boston, MA; 5/20 New York, NY (MSG night 1); 5/21 New York, NY (MSG night 2)|| 2011 - 9/3 East Troy, WI (PJ20); 9/4 East Troy, WI (PJ20) || 2012 - 9/2 Philadelphia, PA, 9/30 Missoula, MT || 2013 - 7/19 Chicago, IL (Wrigley Field), 10/12 Buffalo, NY, 10/15 Worcester, MA (night 1), 10/16 Worcester, MA (night 2), 10/18 Brooklyn, NY (night 1), 10/19 Brooklyn, NY (night 2), 10/25 Hartford, CT || 2014 - 10/22 Denver, CO || 2015 -  9/26 New York, NY (Global Citizen Festival) || 2016 - 5/1 New York, NY (night 1), 5/2 New York, NY (night 2), 8/5 Boston, MA (Fenway Park night 1), 8/7 Boston, MA (Fenway Park night 2) || 2018 - 9/2 Boston, MA (Fenway Park night 1) || 2020 - 3/30 New York, NY
    Eddie Vedder solo: 2008 - Boston night 1 & 2 || 2009 - Albany, NY night 1 & 2 || 2011 - Hartford, CT, Boston, MA

• Options
    benjsbenjs Toronto, ON Posts: 8,938
    Seriosulym there are 20,000 threads about the same fuckign thing. Its tiring. Man, wait until the album drops! This place is going to a zoo.

People are way over analyzing the song and Pearl Jam. You cant make a full assessment on the direction and or if Pearl Jam has lost it until we hear the whole album.
    +1. Name me one flawless album made - close as they come, in my opinion, perfection can never be obtained. I personally like this song, but think (hope) it'll be the one of the poppier tracks on the album.
    '05 - TO, '06 - TO 1, '08 - NYC 1 & 2, '09 - TO, Chi 1 & 2, '10 - Buffalo, NYC 1 & 2, '11 - TO 1 & 2, Hamilton, '13 - Buffalo, Brooklyn 1 & 2, '15 - Global Citizen, '16 - TO 1 & 2, Chi 2

EV
    Toronto Film Festival 9/11/2007, '08 - Toronto 1 & 2, '09 - Albany 1, '11 - Chicago 1
  • Options
    i don't know about everyone else but i'm talking about the fixer and only the fixer...i am almost 100% sure PJ will not make a full album of crap..never have before and i don't see them doing it now... i love most of their shit but there are always a song or two on almost every album that i don't like...so this isn't any thing new.

it's just this sheep mentality that a lot of fans have that pisses me off.
  • Options
    benjs wrote:

+1. Name me one flawless album made - close as they come, in my opinion, perfection can never be obtained. I personally like this song, but think (hope) it'll be the one of the poppier tracks on the album.

I've always thought Vs. was flawless. The agression on that record is amazing, in my opinion there isn't a weak song. But i don't hold that as the standard for a pearl jam record, I would actually be dissapointed if they made a Vs. part 2. Every record is different. Every album has a different feel to it, that's why I love these guys so much. Not many bands have the talent to change their sound ever record and still produce a good record.
  • Options
    soulsingingsoulsinging Posts: 13,208
    remember back in '73 when Houses of the Holy sucked bollards?

grew on me like an appendage it did.

it is brill, i was just keeping their first 4 albums in my head.

i grew with them.

Yeah, but even the staunchest Led Zep partisans admit there was a pretty big drop off after Physical Graffiti. You can't argue with those first 6 albums though, and I kinda feel like PJ may end up in the same boat. There's really no arguing Ten-Yield. They may have lost a few with No Code, but as with Houses, time has shown that No Code and Yield are classics in their catalogue. After that... things get a whole lot more hit and miss.
  • Options
    soulsingingsoulsinging Posts: 13,208
    pdalowsky wrote:
    tcaporale wrote:
    Uh, most of Pearl Jam's more complex music took longer to grow on me. Basically everything on Binaural did. If anything, "The Fixer" is one of the band's most immediate songs.

agreed, anyone says they loved NAIS first off is telling blatant porky pies, and for that matter also Who you are, lukin, and even spin the black circle.....none iof those were immediate, and all of them are pure brilliance

the fixer, is though, immediately likable

I loved NAIS first off... but I was also smoking a lot of grass at the time and a huge epic guitar jam was right up my alley ;)