Options

Overblown Criticism of The Fixer

U R A Crazy BreedU R A Crazy Breed Posts: 8,370
edited July 2009 in The Porch
I don't....that's why i was a fan to begin with!!....i like shit with layers/depth...i hear Fixer and i feel like they are chasing the top 40.....I'm not totally bashing it but it's just...no right...don't feel like PJ to me either...sounds like an Eddie Money song to me, music wise...this is the same band that gave us immortality?...sorry but at this stage in their careers i was expecting more forward progression..more No Code type..progressive, groundbreaking deep shit...it's like they are regressing with this song! I mean Bigwave was the same almost...but at least Ed surfs :mrgreen: ...whatever....i like Got some....can't wait to see what the rest of the album has to offer.

all i know is mad people seem to be really into it and yet Binaural gets no love..not like it should...so maybe I'm just a different breed.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    JeanwahJeanwah Posts: 6,363
    edited July 2009
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FabM1RJTkrY
    maybe I'm just a different breed.
    You're a CRAZY breed! :D
    Post edited by Jeanwah on
  • Options
    LikeAnOceanLikeAnOcean Posts: 7,718
    Relax.. three of their best slower songs EVER will be on this album. Speed Of Sound/ Unknown Thought and The End.
  • Options
    Binaural makes me happy in ways I can't explain

(oooh...papi needs to sit down when he listens to that record)

I hear ya.
    I live my life like an Ocean in disguise
  • Options
    LizardLizard So Cal Posts: 12,069
    maybe I do.......what are you gonna do ?

:lol:
    So I'll just lie down and wait for the dream
    Where I'm not ugly and you're lookin' at me
  • Options
    crazygeocrazygeo Posts: 2,374
    sorry but at this stage in their careers i was expecting more forward progression..more No Code type..progressive, groundbreaking deep shit...it's like they are regressing with this song! I mean Bigwave was the same almost...but at least Ed surfs

at least someone understands...I agree "big wave' like...which is good, but I sure the hell don't want Eddie "take me home tonight" Money
    • 1991-11-17• 1998-08-28 •2000-09-01
    • 2003-07-05• 2004-10-01
    • 2005-10-03• 2006-05-27
    • 2008-06-19• 2009-10-27 2009-10-28 •2009-10-30
    • 2009-10-31

*Tres Mts 2011-03-23
    *Eddie Vedder 2011-06-25
    - 2013-10-21
    - 2013=10-22
    -2016 -04-28
    -2016 -04-29
  • Options
    after hearing it again, i think its more like children's music:

when something's broke, we put a little fixin' on it!

When you get a little bobo, we put a little band-aid on it!

when your room's dirty, we put a little clean up on it!

When you poop your pants, we put a little diaper on it!

yeah yeah yeah yeah!

weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!

crap im trying to be respectful but i listened to it again. back to work.
  • Options
    Ledbetterman10Ledbetterman10 Posts: 16,726
    MrSmith wrote:
    after hearing it again, i think its more like children's music:

when something's broke, we put a little fixin' on it!

When you get a little bobo, we put a little band-aid on it!

when your room's dirty, we put a little clean up on it!

When you poop your pants, we put a little diaper on it!

yeah yeah yeah yeah!

weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!

crap im trying to be respectful but i listened to it again. back to work.

that's rich
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • Options
    soulsingingsoulsinging Posts: 13,208
    I don't....that's why i was a fan to begin with!!....i like shit with layers/depth...i hear Fixer and i feel like they are chasing the top 40.....I'm not totally bashing it but it's just...no right...don't feel like PJ to me either...sounds like an Eddie Money song to me, music wise...this is the same band that gave us immortality?...sorry but at this stage in their careers i was expecting more forward progression..more No Code type..progressive, groundbreaking deep shit...it's like they are regressing with this song! I mean Bigwave was the same almost...but at least Ed surfs :mrgreen: ...whatever....i like Got some....can't wait to see what the rest of the album has to offer.

all i know is mad people seem to be really into it and yet Binaural gets no love..not like it should...so maybe I'm just a different breed.

Pearl Jam doesn't like republicans, so you two are even.
  • Options
    josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,286
    Yeah i do can't wait to experience these songs live :mrgreen: ...
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • Options
    Brisk.Brisk. Posts: 11,486
    I prefer making threads on how great the fixer is more.
  • Options
    PJammin'PJammin' Posts: 1,657

:lol: ...maybe this will flush out more fans.
    I died. I died and you just stood there. I died and you watched. I died and you walked by and said no. I'm dead.
  • Options
    FW46778FW46778 Posts: 227
    Don't go to the shows which will be in support of the album that this is the first single off of. When a lot of people are digging this while PJ is playing this on tour you can sit for the track and text someone about how much cooler PJ was before the mighty fixer.
    I used to be MILKwasAbadChoice...Now I am just FW46778...a math teacher in jersey
  • Options
    i was expecting more forward progression..more No Code type

Dude, I'm not trying to be a jerk I swear, but how is going back and recording music like they already recorded "forward progression?"

I don't think we've heard a song quite like "The Fixer" from PJ before, and I am freaking stoked about hearing something new. There's nothing wrong with a little Pop as long as it's done well, and this song is done WELL.

Just my thoughts...

\S/
    "The goal of a coach is to take a guy who has beaten down by his parents, by religion, by society, to take that guy and build him back up to find his spirit to go out and fight" Joe Lewis
  • Options
    SM60026 wrote:

Dude, I'm not trying to be a jerk I swear, but how is going back and recording music like they already recorded "forward progression?"

I think he's saying that No Code progressed from Vitalogy but he doesn't think Backspacer is progressing from Avocado.
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
  • Options
    pjsteelerfanpjsteelerfan Maryland Posts: 9,883
    SM60026 wrote:

I don't think we've heard a song quite like "The Fixer" from PJ before, and I am freaking stoked about hearing something new. There's nothing wrong with a little Pop as long as it's done well, and this song is done WELL.

Just my thoughts...

\S/

There is never going to be No Code- part two, hate to break everyone's heart, but NEVER. Just like there won't be Ten II, Vs. II, Vitalogy II, Yield II, etc.
    ...got a mind full of questions and a teacher in my soul...
  • Options
    FW46778FW46778 Posts: 227
    Mankind was progressive
    I used to be MILKwasAbadChoice...Now I am just FW46778...a math teacher in jersey
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    SM60026 wrote:

Just my thoughts...

\S/

There is never going to be No Code- part two, hate to break everyone's heart, but NEVER. Just like there won't be Ten II, Vs. II, Vitalogy II, Yield II, etc.

Dude, NO ONE WANTS THAT.

I don't get it. This is such a common post around here. It's possible to dislike a new pearl jam song without longing for Ten part 2. Why don't people understand that?

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
  • Options

Pearl Jam doesn't like republicans, so you two are even.

I'm not a Republican or a Democrat so that means nothing to me.
  • Options
    I like some pop music and just because its upbeat and catchy doesn't mean it's pop. Maybe you should put back on your flannel listen to Release and have yourself a good cry!
  • Options
    Get_RightGet_Right Posts: 12,479
    whatever man

its not any more poppy than I am mine, or wws, and its light years better than love boat captain

but that being said, Im diggin got some MUCH more than the fixer

and the hype can only make me listen with biased ears

so I am sure it will take time to digest the songs, much like riot act
  • Options
    edited July 2009

Dude, NO ONE WANTS THAT.

I don't get it. This is such a common post around here. It's possible to dislike a new pearl jam song without longing for Ten part 2. Why don't people understand that?

I know, I have read your 300 posts today in every thread talking about how much you hate the song. I get you don't like it, I think you have made your point. And I was commenting on the "no Code" aspect mentioned in this thread.
    Post edited by pjsteelerfan on
  • Options
    brolocobroloco Posts: 1,237
    you want them to make the same record, same songs over and over???

you say bubblegum. I say gatorade gum. shit is refreshing!~
  • Options
    tcaporaletcaporale Posts: 1,577
    I don't see how any of their music is "bubblegum". I couldn't see any of the Disney pop acts performing these songs, at least not without sounding completely out of their element.
  • Options
    EvolverEvolver Posts: 525
    Lizard wrote:
    maybe I do.......what are you gonna do ?

He's gonna round up "mad people" to come beat you down, yo!
  • Options
    starmap3333starmap3333 Posts: 3,908
    I love the fixer. LOVE. and i've been a fan since 91... wow. You better hate the fixer or you're not a real fan!! whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

give me a break... or 2.
    Ithaca, NY-11/6/91 SPAC, NY-8/4/92 Rochester, NY-4/7/94 Toronto-9/21/96 Buffalo, NY-10/1/96 Barrie, ONT-8/20/98 Pittsburgh, PA- 8/25/98 Jones Beach, NY-8/23/00 Jones Beach, NY-8/24/00 Jones Beach, NY-8/25/00 SPAC, NY-8/27/00 Buffalo, NY-5/2/03 MSG-7/8/03 MSG -7/9/03 Hamilton, ONT-9/13/05 Albany, NY-5/12/06 Cleveland, OH-5/20/06 Camden, NJ-5/27/06 East Ruth, NJ-6/3/06 Chicago, IL-8/5/07 Bonnaroo-6/14/08 MSG-6/24/08 MSG-7/25/08 Mansfield, MA-7/30/08 Chicago, IL-8/23/09 Philly, PA-10/30/09 Philly, PA-10/31/09 Buffalo, NY 5/10/10 MSG 1&2 5/20-21/10
  • Options

Dude, NO ONE WANTS THAT.

I know, I have read your 300 posts today in every thread talking about how much you hate the song. I get you don't like it, I think you have made your point.

well you missed one: viewtopic.php?f=4&t=104280&start=30#p2392263

But I'm not even talking about The Fixer and what I think about it. I'm talking about you people who tell people who don't like a new PJ recording to go listen to Ten. So when I like Got Some, I'm with the times but when I hate The Fixer I'm living in the past?

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
  • Options
    gobrowns19gobrowns19 Posts: 1,447
    At this point I can only guess what direction the band is going in, but to me it seems like they go through eras with similar feels.

Ten-Vs-Vitalogy

[Vitalogy] No Code- Yield

Binaural-Riot Act

S/T-Backspacer

First listen of The Fixer I wasn't impressed at all, but I wasn't with most of this band's catalog either. What made this band one of my favorites is a lot of the hidden, hard to hear stuff happening that you don't catch on your first listen. And The Fixer has some stuff going on I didn't catch on first listen that I now like.
    Happiness is only real when shared
  • Options
    FW46778 wrote:
    Don't go to the shows which will be in support of the album that this is the first single off of. When a lot of people are digging this while PJ is playing this on tour you can sit for the track and text someone about how much cooler PJ was before the mighty fixer.

what an original and intelligent response..you should be 10c President!you're so right though...not liking one song means i should stay home...wait! they may play evacuation too! fuck! now i'm really staying home! :roll:

guess what...i'll be in Philly for every show that goes down...maybe fixer will be my piss break song.

SM60026 wrote:

i'm sorry...i meant no code-esque..as in groundbreaking for it's time..doing the same thing again..breaking ground again...not making the same music!
  • Options

Dude, NO ONE WANTS THAT.

I know, I have read your 300 posts today in every thread talking about how much you hate the song. I get you don't like it, I think you have made your point.

well you missed one: http://community.pearljam.com/viewtopic ... 0#p2392263

But I'm not even talking about The Fixer and what I think about it. I'm talking about you people who tell people who don't like a new PJ recording to go listen to Ten. So when I like Got Some, I'm with the times but when I hate The Fixer I'm living in the past?

And I was commenting on the usual "I want No Code again" as mentioned earlier in this thread- congrats on one positive thing today though
  • Options
    LikeAnOceanLikeAnOcean Posts: 7,718
    You know the albums going to be good when it creates such a divide in the fanbase. :D

This is a love/hate song it appears.