Robots in the first two rows...

13»

Comments

• Options
    Jason PJason P Posts: 19,122
    This is an excellent compromise.
  • Options
    NiteLite10NiteLite10 Posts: 144
    i would never want to sit in the first 2 rows...not just cause people are dead but because, i dont know...awkward with the band? i want those 9-10 rows!!

It *is* awkward with the band! Especially 1st row on the rail with a big space and angry looking security guys in front of you. I guess I am sort of self-conscious up there but I know I'm not the only one.

Ok, I haven't had front row very many times but my favorite place is 2nd or 3rd row a little left of center. A little people "buffer" in front of you but still an amazing view. And of course the prime between Ed & Mike spot. ... totally incredible.

That being said... definitely not a robot in any case! :D
  • Options
    citizen54citizen54 Posts: 64
    man, what's with all the slamming of older people? as someone who was in high school when Jimi Hendrix died, i'm getting a complex here. sheesh. has anyone checked the age of the guys in the band, by the way?
    it's all about the music. every PJ show i've been to has been a transcendental experience. i hope the young fascists here don't impose age restrictions on who can attend in the future.
    see you at the Garden, kids!

Pearl Jam fans over 40 unite!
  • Options
    genevieve wrote:
    All I can say is that if we want this random seating to last all the people who have never been first few rows better rock out hard. Now you can talk the talk but can you walk the walk? ;)
    Ive been 3rd row for one show thanks to a wonderful transfer.
    And Ive charged my way to about 5th row at a general seating.
    Its hard to keep it up the whole show.
    What a work out!

Im interested in what will happen with the EV solo shows.
    Wonder who will be where...

Trust me. The only other PJ show I've been too I was no where close to the stage. VFC Kiss, FL 04. Couldn't talk the next day. and could barely move for the next three or four. I was all over the fucking place. Front row....man...I don't care about the pressure, living up to what other fans think, or being watched by the band. Like I said in another thread, I'll light that fucking place on fire with the energy I'm going to throw out. Something came over me at that show that left all inhibitions behind.
  • Options
    laudenumlaudenum Posts: 405
    as someone who has seen led zep waaaay back in the 70's,nobody was "rocking out",people digged music differently. there was much to see. if you were rocking out and not watching you missed alot.
    same with pj.ive been in the 1st row ,right in front of ed. its a visual experience
    as much as auditory. back in the 70's people sat for the entire concert.
    some of us are musicians and bieng able to see how things are played,is far more interesting than jumping up and down. and yes,those of us with seniority and grey hair cannot "rock out" as you say. doesnt mean its not appreciated to the fullest.
    "shes stoned said the swede, and the
    mooncalf agreed" THe BANd
  • Options
    I truly don't understand where this resentment towards the senior members of the fan club comes from. I have been fortunate enough to be front row on a few occasions; and not once did I notice any "robots" around me (just watch any of the camden videos on youtube from 06). I myself have a number in the 140,000's and have received seats anywhere from the 4th row to the 30th row, and have been next to 10 clubbers who have been as trashed as they come. Does this mean they don't deserve to have these 10 club seats and their seats should be moved behind other members who would "appreciate" the music more? Is that my idea of a good time for a PJ show, no..but I don't critique these people since that is how they choose to have a good time . So leave the "robots" alone, spend less time watching them, and just enjoy the music for yourself :D
    "You cannot escape the responsibility of tomorrow by evading it today."- Abraham Lincoln
  • Options
    Hopefully I didn't make it seem like I'm a better fan cause I move around a lot and all that shit. I understand that people enjoy shows differently. I don't care how someone gets their kicks, just as long as they get em. Everyone enjoy themselves!!!
  • Options
    laudenumlaudenum Posts: 405
    yup. theres alot of us who have been around along time.
    hey....ya get older.you appreciate the same things but in different ways.
    ive seen people "rocking out" who would have been kicked out of a concert back in the 70's.
    "shes stoned said the swede, and the
    mooncalf agreed" THe BANd
  • Options
    SPEEDY MCCREADYSPEEDY MCCREADY Posts: 24,793
    im happy that all those old...senile...grey haired people who usually sit in row 1.....

will now have to suffer and sit in row 3.....
    Take me piece by piece.....
    Till there aint nothing left worth taking away from me.....
  • Options
    NOCODE#1NOCODE#1 Posts: 1,478
    Ms. Haiku wrote:
    I was called an energizer bunny, but never a robot when I was in the front rows :D

Rows 1-2 and rows 9-10 are random seating for fanclub members. Mixing up the love a little. Look at Rudydad's Tour Announcement sticky.
    seriously you had to be pretty fucking bad for pj to do this

fuck the douche's in the first 2 (i luckily usually sit 3rd 4th lol)
    Let's not be negative now. Thumper has spoken
  • Options
    indifferentmanindifferentman Goshen, IN Posts: 731
    laudenum wrote:
    as someone who has seen led zep waaaay back in the 70's,nobody was "rocking out",people digged music differently. there was much to see. if you were rocking out and not watching you missed alot.
    same with pj.ive been in the 1st row ,right in front of ed. its a visual experience
    as much as auditory. back in the 70's people sat for the entire concert.
    some of us are musicians and bieng able to see how things are played,is far more interesting than jumping up and down. and yes,those of us with seniority and grey hair cannot "rock out" as you say. doesnt mean its not appreciated to the fullest.

Yes, there is something to be said for WATCHING the performance, rather then rocking out. Some shows like Tool, Sigor Ros, etc. are really more about taking in the FULL experience because there is such a strong visual context to the performance too. I guess the genre of the music makes a difference as well. Some things you just CAN'T rock out too, and you have to appreciate the performance.

As much as I like stuff like that, I enjoy seeing bands like PJ, Modest Mouse, and The Walkmen more. They always promise a heavier, high energy, fun show that's hard NOT to rock out at! I can't remember if it was here, or in person once, but I remember someone being chastised for dancing around and singing, and the the guy's reply was "Dude! It's a concert!" Those are my feelings exactly! I have every right to jump up and down, sing at the top of my lungs, air guitar, etc! I am respectful of the people around me and I try to avoid bumping into them, stepping on their feet, etc. But otherwise, any inhibitions are thrown out the door! A good beer buzz from tailgating helps too. ;) I would FREAK THE FUCK OUT if I lucked out and got up front, that's for sure. A 245XXX hasn't gotten me any closer then about mid floor. The best "close up" experience I ever had was when Ed snuck out to the sound board while the lights were out between encoures at Chicago II. He stayed out on the floor the whole time they played Last Kiss. I was about 15 ft. away. What a night!
    I won't change direction, and I won't change my mind - E.V.
    06 Chicago I, 06 Chicago II, 06 Grand Rapids, 07 Lollapalloza, 08 DC, 08 MSG I, 08 MSG II, 08 EV Solo Milwaukee, Chicago I & II 09, Portland 09, Nobelsville 10, Cleveland 10, PJ20 I & II, Wrigley 13, Brooklyn I & II '13, St. Paul 14, Moline 14, Milwaukee 14
  • Options
    slightofjeffslightofjeff Posts: 7,750
    I don't know, exactly what the definition of "rock out" is.

I only have two thoughts:

1) You don't have to jump around like a madman and try to start a mosh pit in the orchestra pit. Just don't stand there with your arms crossed, acting like you're waiting in a check-out line at the grocery store. I've seen that guy before. Hell, I've probably brought that guy before.

2) I like to sing along. Sometimes, on just the right song, I might start to pogo a little bit. Leave me the hell alone. If I accidentally graze you, let it slide. Luckily, everyone I've ever concert-ed near has been cool in this regard.
    everybody wants the most they can possibly get
    for the least they could possibly do
  • Options
    lockedlocked Boston Posts: 3,996
    imspinnin wrote:
    smileguy wrote:
    Oh god no, that's great and horrible.
    I've seen both sides people like me, Ms. Haiku, locked...
    jumping around like we've got hot coals under our feet

love the visual on this!

:D
    "This here's a REQUEST!"
    EV intro to Chloe Dancer / Crown of Thorns
    10/25/13 Hartford
  • Options
    FahkaFahka Posts: 3,187
    the Chad wrote:
    This is a good thing...

I have been in the 10 Club since 1996, never have been in the first 5 rows that changed a couple of Summers ago ago in San Diego...

A 10Club member in NYC transferred me her tickets, she told me she is always in the first or second row...

sure enough we roll up to the ticket window at Cox Arena, I almost had a heart attack, 2nd ROW!!! Best seats, Best show, only one sour note...

the folks around us, you are correct they were "robots" no life...they were like statues...they bust out BIG WAVE for the first time, and the dude next to me tells me to calm down, are you kidding, Sat night in San Diego, these folks have no pulse...brought my buddy with me he had the same impression, and it was a shame the folks behind the stage had more energy, these folks think they are entitled and they take it for granted...Barely standing up...

A girl tried to sneak in between me and my bud, folks behind us told security, true story...no fun up front with that crowd, time for some new blood to taste the wine...

Rock N Roll!

All the people who could actually afford to be in ten c when it all started are all getting old and farty, simple as that :D
  • Options
    pjtaper wrote:
    if you are jumping, singing every word, and having the time of your life, there is no awkwardness with the band...
    maybe if you catch a flying mike pick to the eye, but that hasn't happened yet!

this post made me smile...

Mike can spot the "rockers" in the crowd...

If you have been "pointed out" by the Master, you have been blessed!

"This here's a REQUEST!"
    10/25/13 Hartford
  • Options
    can anyone stand still during "Do The Evolution"...?

I can't even when i'm in my car...

"This here's a REQUEST!"
    10/25/13 Hartford
  • Options
    Red MosqitoRed Mosqito Posts: 1,229
    locked wrote:
    pjtaper wrote:
    if you are jumping, singing every word, and having the time of your life, there is no awkwardness with the band...

this post made me smile...

Mike can spot the "rockers" in the crowd...

If you have been "pointed out" by the Master, you have been blessed!

Not only did the "Master" point to me during the Vegas show in '03 (my front row experience) but EV himself pointed to me during the "RITFW" encore and proceeded to toss a tambourine to me!! I always like to think it was because they noticed me rocking out the whole show and because I was such a gentlemen to the lady standing next to me who had her young baby (like 1 or 2yrs old at best) with her. =)

RM
  • Options
    decides2dreamdecides2dream Posts: 14,976
    NiteLite10 wrote:
    i would never want to sit in the first 2 rows...not just cause people are dead but because, i dont know...awkward with the band? i want those 9-10 rows!!

It *is* awkward with the band! Especially 1st row on the rail with a big space and angry looking security guys in front of you. I guess I am sort of self-conscious up there but I know I'm not the only one.

i have never found it awkward.....always found it amazing!!!
    i would love, love, love to score a front row seat!
    done it thru blood, sweat and tears via GA, would be utterly awesome to score with my 10c #!
    my *best* front-row experience thus far in my life....dusseldorf 2007.....RIGHT smack-dab on the rail between mike and jeff. AMAZING!
    8-)
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

I am myself like you somehow

• Options
    PJPJ Posts: 282
    NiteLite10 wrote:

i have never found it awkward.....always found it amazing!!!
    i would love, love, love to score a front row seat!
    done it thru blood, sweat and tears via GA, would be utterly awesome to score with my 10c #!
    my *best* front-row experience thus far in my life....dusseldorf 2007.....RIGHT smack-dab on the rail between mike and jeff. AMAZING!
    8-)

Closest ive been was the upper 300's! still AMAZING but this is my first time using 10C tix so im hoping for a little closer experience. :lol:
    2006-06-01 E. Rutherford 1
    2008-06-24 NYC: MSG 1
    2008-06-25 NYC: MSG 2
  • Options
    I don't care if you sing badly, please scream your lungs out! :D
    I don't care if you jump, bounce and jam, please just bump into me so I can have fun with you! :D
    I don't care about the big burly security up front, I will scream my lungs out and rock out anyway! :D
    If you ever tell me to stop singing or having a good time. Please expect a statment back you will not appreciate. :(
    If your on your high horse, please get off! 8-)

All we are, are blood and guts and won't be here forever, so enjoy each other and the Pearl Jam family! Can't wait to see everyone in a few days in Philly.
    I shit and I stink, I'm real, join the club.
  • Options
    PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,221
    pjtaper wrote:
    Not sure why this thread got resurrected, but funny enough, I did get hit in the eye with a Mike pick on 6/30/08.
    So cross that one off the list.
    This weekend we rock Portland
  • Options
    LizardLizard So Cal Posts: 12,069
    locked wrote:
    can anyone stand still during "Do The Evolution"...?

I can't even when i'm in my car...

You stand in your car??

8-)
    So I'll just lie down and wait for the dream
    Where I'm not ugly and you're lookin' at me
  • Options
    Poncier wrote:
    pjtaper wrote:
    Not sure why this thread got resurrected, but funny enough, I did get hit in the eye with a Mike pick on 6/30/08.
    So cross that one off the list.

Did you at least get the pick??? :D
    I shit and I stink, I'm real, join the club.
  • Options
    CosmoCosmo Posts: 12,219
    Have been dethroned! HA HA!
    I don't believe in karma... but, if it did... this comment is karma-worthy.
    Allen Fieldhouse, home of the 2008 NCAA men's Basketball Champions! Go Jayhawks!
    Hail, Hail!!!