Options

Backspacer length: 36 or 39 mins.???

esacks23esacks23 Posts: 69
edited July 2009 in The Porch
i've heard both. can anyone confirm either of the two? wikipedia now has it at 36 minutes too. i still can't believe this is only 3 (or 6)minutes longer than ITW. i have a feeling this is going to be great and i like what i've heard so far, but at 36 minutes, this will be their shortest album by 10 MINUTES(vs. was 46). not sure why ed had to "come in and chop down a few songs". he said something along the lines of thinking about playing these songs live while he was writing them and the shorter songs would be better for that... not sure where he's going with that, but i guess that's while i'll be sitting in the audience.... really getting into a song and then it's over in two minutes. i hope it's all songs and no pointless hidden instumental track at the end. if there is, this one might just barely break the half hour mark.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    bigbadbillbigbadbill Posts: 1,758
    Is the album FULLY finished/mixed? They might just add another song from the other list (ie Shift, Dust, Agree To Disagree, In The Time Of Man, Forward Thinking, Cigarette Song I and II, High Crime, Yonder). I think that this is a possibility (I hope so).
    11/6/95, 11/18/97, 7/13/98, 7/14/98, 10/24/00, 10/25/00, 10/28/00, 6/2/03, 6/3/03, 6/5/03, 7/6/06, 7/7/06, 7/9/06, 7/10/06, 7/13/06, 7/15/06, 7/16/06, 7/18/06, 10/21/06, 4/10/08, 4/13/08, 9/30/09, 10/1/09, 10/6/09, 10/7/09, 10/9/09
  • Options
    LikeAnOceanLikeAnOcean Posts: 7,718
    It's actually 33 minutes now. They decided to cut out Mike's solos and fade out on every song. Ed says it just keeps getting tighter and tighter!

:P
    8-)
  • Options
    Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,598
    Do three minutes of music really matter that much?
  • Options
    SomethingCreativeSomethingCreative Kazoo, MI Posts: 3,346
    bigbadbill wrote:
    Is the album FULLY finished/mixed? They might just add another song from the other list (ie Shift, Dust, Agree To Disagree, In The Time Of Man, Forward Thinking, Cigarette Song I and II, High Crime, Yonder). I think that this is a possibility (I hope so).

Its done...the album is available for preorder with a tracklisting
    "Well, I think this band is incapable of sucking."
    -my dad after hearing Not for You for the first time on SNL .
  • Options
    esacks23esacks23 Posts: 69
    yes, 3 minutes does matter. 3 minutes could be a whole song. as for that other list, who knows if any of those were real song titles or just working titles that got renamed because i think the only one that ended up on the album from that list was "the fixer". wouldn't be the first time they've left some of the better songs off of the album. look at binaural that had "breakerfall" and "evacuation" on it but somehow "sad" and "education" got left off? and then somehow "down" and "undone" get left off of riot act? i remember mike saying in an interview, i think early this year, that they had about 14 songs done so far. so we know at least 3 got cut. hopefully we'll get some decent b-sides like we used to back in the day for the first couple albums.
  • Options
    CalumCalum Posts: 635
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

come on! :o :P

songs under 3mins:

sometimes, blood, comatose, lukin, spin the black circle, animal, mfc.... do they matter?
    London Astoria - Dublin - Wembley - Shepherds Bush - London 02
  • Options
    Ryan_WFCRyan_WFC Posts: 1,314
    "Got Some" is three minutes and sounded anything but short to me. Quality over quantity.
    "They said ... timing was everything
    made him ... want to be everywhere
    there's a ... lot to be said for nowhere."
  • Options
    soulsingingsoulsinging Posts: 13,208
    esacks23 wrote:
    he said something along the lines of thinking about playing these songs live while he was writing them and the shorter songs would be better for that... not sure where he's going with that, but i guess that's while i'll be sitting in the audience.... really getting into a song and then it's over in two minutes.

Yeah, that makes sense Ed. Because when I think of the most stunning moments from the shows I've seen, it's never the epic versions of Porch, mind-blowing jams in Immortality, wailing solos in Alive, or the psychedelic breakdown in Rearviewmirror... it's the 2-3 minutes the crowd slept through note for note reproductions of Comatose, Gods' Dice, Cropduster, Get Right, Save You, Big Wave, etc :roll:

If Ed wants to be in a punk band, he should leave PJ and get c-average back. I don't attend shows to see a shitty Ramones wannabe group. I go to see the band that wrote some of the greatest classic rock songs of our generation.
  • Options
    damn right Ryan.. Into the wild for example, without that long pause in guaranteed is like 25mins!
  • Options
    soulsingingsoulsinging Posts: 13,208
    Calum wrote:
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

come on! :o :P

songs under 3mins:

sometimes, blood, comatose, lukin, spin the black circle, animal, mfc.... do they matter?

Not really. Aside from Blood and Animal, that's a pretty weak and forgettable list of songs. Stack those up to ther 5-minute plus songs: Immortality, Alive, Black, Present Tense, In Hiding... I'm seeing an imbalance here.
  • Options
    the wolfthe wolf Posts: 7,027
    okay, all this talk about this record being short is starting to get to me.

i think most will agree that Vitalogy rocks ! and at least half seem to think all the tracks like bugs and pry to bring it down. so............. do the math, without Pry, to Bugs , Aye Davanita, and Stupid Mop its not that far off from Vitalogy. Just enjoy the record and stop freaking out about it. its going to be 4 minutes shorter than the "songs" on Vitalogy. its going to be freakin' awesome!

"Last Exit" – 2:54
    "Spin the Black Circle" – 2:48
    "Not for You" – 5:52
    "Tremor Christ" – 4:12
    "Nothingman" (Vedder, Ament) – 4:35
    "Whipping" – 2:35
    "Pry, To" – 1:03
    "Corduroy" – 4:37
    "Bugs" – 2:45
    "Satan's Bed" (Vedder, Gossard) – 3:31
    "Better Man" (Vedder) – 4:28
    "Aye Davanita" – 2:58
    "Immortality" – 5:28
    "Hey Foxymophandlemama, That's Me" (Ament, Gossard, Jack Irons, McCready, Vedder) – 7:44
    Peace, Love.

"To question your government is not unpatriotic --
    to not question your government is unpatriotic."
    -- Sen. Chuck Hagel
  • Options
    OffHeGoes132OffHeGoes132 Posts: 594
    If past PJ albums are any indication, the first song "Gonna See My Friend" will likely be a short one (under the 3 minute mark). Judging from what we've heard of Got Some and The Fixer, they will likely be under the 3 minute mark as well. I'm speculating that the ballads on the album may be over the 4 minute mark. I'm hoping we get at least 1, maybe 2, rockers that are over the 4 minute mark.

Just pure speculation on my part though. I agree that if there are no filler like "bugs," "pry, to," or "Foxy Mama," 36 minutes is fine by me. B-sides are also highly welcome too ;)
  • Options
    VeddernarianVeddernarian Posts: 1,910
    Songs like MFC come to mind. What a great song and then it's over. I always feel like playing it back to back to get a complete song feel. To me, a song has to be 3 minutes. Anything, to me, less than 2 min 30 sec is a fragment. All of those short tracks on ITW, to me are fragments. Especially frustrating is the fact that they are so good and then that amplifies the frustration when they abruptly end.
    Up here so high I start to shake, Up here so high the sky I scrape, I've no fear but for falling down, So look out below I am falling now, Falling down,...not staying down, Could’ve held me up, rather tear me down, Drown in the river
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    esacks23 wrote:
    he said something along the lines of thinking about playing these songs live while he was writing them and the shorter songs would be better for that... not sure where he's going with that, but i guess that's while i'll be sitting in the audience.... really getting into a song and then it's over in two minutes.

Yeah, that makes sense Ed. Because when I think of the most stunning moments from the shows I've seen, it's never the epic versions of Porch, mind-blowing jams in Immortality, wailing solos in Alive, or the psychedelic breakdown in Rearviewmirror... it's the 2-3 minutes the crowd slept through note for note reproductions of Comatose, Gods' Dice, Cropduster, Get Right, Save You, Big Wave, etc :roll:

If Ed wants to be in a punk band, he should leave PJ and get c-average back. I don't attend shows to see a shitty Ramones wannabe group. I go to see the band that wrote some of the greatest classic rock songs of our generation.

Have you heard "The End" and "Speed of Sound" or "Unthought Known"?? I think those have big potential to be the kind of songs you'll enjoy. And I'm not at all hearing a Ramones-lite vibe in "The Fixer" or "Got Some."
  • Options
    If past PJ albums are any indication, the first song "Gonna See My Friend" will likely be a short one (under the 3 minute mark). Judging from what we've heard of Got Some and The Fixer, they will likely be under the 3 minute mark as well. I'm speculating that the ballads on the album may be over the 4 minute mark. I'm hoping we get at least 1, maybe 2, rockers that are over the 4 minute mark.

Just pure speculation on my part though. I agree that if there are no filler like "bugs," "pry, to," or "Foxy Mama," 36 minutes is fine by me. B-sides are also highly welcome too ;)

:D agreed . having heard speed of sounds & the end.. I am so excited for this album, couldnt care less about duration.. those songs both rocked!
  • Options
    Gonzo1977Gonzo1977 Posts: 1,673
    If you do the math...The average song length would be 3:27 seconds.

Yes...3:27 may not be"Immortality"
    But it certainly isn't "Lukin" either.

"Riot Act" is their longest album and truthfully their worst.
    I can think of at least 3 songs that should have been cut from that goddamn mess of an album.

Perhaps "Backspacer" is all killer and no filler.
  • Options
    OffHeGoes132OffHeGoes132 Posts: 594
    Calum wrote:

:D agreed . having heard speed of sounds & the end.. I am so excited for this album, couldnt care less about duration.. those songs both rocked!

Definitely. I've heard the crappy recording of The Fixer, the Conan performance of Got Some, and I got to hear The End at one of the Baltimore EV shows. I have yet to hear Speed of Sound or Unthought Known (like others have live), but all three songs I've heard thus far have been fucking awesome - and I don't just say that as a big-time fan of PJ, I would definitely be critical if I felt necessary. Just my opinion though, I think we all have something stellar to look forward to.
  • Options
    Gonzo1977 wrote:
    Perhaps "Backspacer" is all killer and no filler.

Five for five based on the live versions I've heard.